Sekiro

Just started and I'm enjoying it. One thing thats annoying me though is the tracking, especially on the bosses it can be dark souls 2 tier bullshit.

>fighting drunk boss in the past
>he does his sumo stomp
>wait until he does his attack, dodge twice, end up slightly behind him
>he spins in place like a goddamn ballerina
>1v1 360 no-scopes me mid roll

After a few rounds of that, I needed a break.

Attached: Sekiro.jpg (1280x720, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Shark-Giant
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Additionally, any tips? So far I've upgraded:

>mikiri counter
>suppress presence
>suppress sound
>whirlwind slash
>karma: body (just so I could reach)
>breath of life: light

I've been mainly playing it like a tenchu game, stealth kill as many as I can, once hell breaks loose I run to reposition and repeat.

Don’t dodge, block. If your timings are shit, just spam L1.

Youre not supposed to spam the dodge against enemies in this game retard. Use the fucking L1 button to deflect their attacks. This isnt Dark Souls. Stop trying to play the game like a souls game or youre gonna have a really shitty time.

Oh, and I found the dude in the cave with the purple smoke. Then found I couldn't dodge in the purple smoke, probably need an item from later in the game.

Yeah, at that point my posture was pretty high so I was trying to let it get down. I'll get better with the parries as I play, just trying to get the timing down. I also don't know if I'm fucking myself by trying to beat this area in the past. I've beaten the dude on his horse, he wasn't too bad, but I haven't progressed past that point much. Trying not to look up guides, but I also hope I'm not making shit harder for myself by going there first.

I think the majority of people went there even before the horse guy.

Groovy. The dudes there drop so much more experience than elsewhere I've been, so I've been grinding a bit but also worrying I was going the wrong way. Thank you kindly.

True, but then they got their shit kicked by Granny

I quit at the big gorilla boss. I don't think I have the patience for these types of games anymore. I'm 29

Well I'm 30 and 5'11" and I managed to clear it 3 times

ogre's hitboxes are absolute bullshit, especially the downward slam with both hands

Those the big chained up dudes that are scared of fire? Yeah, it took a couple tries to kill my first one, got fooled by the grab attack more than once thinking it was a sweep.

Yeah, I got stuck there, but still managed to kill her, which felt great.

Tracking in this game didn't bother me that much since it's clearly intentional, parrying is the main defensive action rather than dodging.

can you even parry his stomp?

lol

Git Gud

sekiro pro tip: forget that the dodge button exist

Its reminding me a lot of nioh's combat. Very few moves have i-frames, so you need to block attacks (can parry with some weapons, if you have the skill bought and equipped), but usually and kind of big enemy, anything bigger than a greater skeleton warrior, then you dodged that shit completely, a little clip will do full damage. That's why it's so much easier to fight human bosses, even if they can one shot you, you can still parry that attack. Or cheese them with paralyze traps and iai quickdraw into finisher loop cheese.

Boss?
Thats just a slightly stronger than generic mook enemy that repeats throughout the game.

Attached: 1540705474215.jpg (480x480, 46K)

spamming L1 works against just about everything in NG
NG+ it still mostly works but you get posture broken if you don't take time to recover
dunno about NG2+ and up

Unlike Darksouls where keep feeling like youre trash, you reach a point in Sekiro where you feel invinsible ... Then you fight Demon of hatred

Attached: 1562396294823.gif (319x255, 263K)

>Unlike Darksouls where keep feeling like youre tras
5omb of Giants. No matter how many times I go through, those bone doggies fuck me up every time.

Attached: IMG-20190527-WA0006.jpg (1280x720, 49K)

>I dont know what's going on, I'm pretty high

Attached: 1559620009708.jpg (878x626, 170K)

Every attack is parryable unless a red warning symbol comes up. Even bullets.

Well shit, should just say fuck how many times I die and just practice now, then start a new save.

literally everything can be parried aside from red sign attacks

dying doesnt really do anything
dragonrot isnt a big deal

>just beat the double ape fight on the first attempt
Does the game ever become difficult again? The beginning was pretty hard but once I got used to the deflect timing the game has become pretty easy and I really don't feel like I've hit any real difficulty spikes like you would get in a Souls game.

Thought NPCs like the smith could die and fuck your progress or supplies.

some say owl 2 or isshin are hard but as long as you aren't in NG+ or using the difficulty increasers they aren't much of a problem

Nope. Nobody can die. Seems like it may have been planned at some point but was scrapped. It's 99% thematic and only temporarily blocks quest progression if certain characters are sick.

What, just spam the trigger without attacking until I can deathblow?

Don't tell me what happens, but should I ring the bell?

yeah. it's something reversible so don't worry.

I only just beat the horse guy, what difficulty increasers are there?

rolling has no invincibility, do not try to roll to dodge an attack unless it is completely vertical.
this is not souls.

Owl 2 and SS Isshin can be real cunts depending on RNG.

Attached: 2905751-skull-face-play-arts-kai-5.jpg (1000x1000, 118K)

The biggest thing you have to unlearn between this and souls is you either have to parry or be out of the fucking way. No phasing through a 10 foot axe sweep.

Running I found more useful than dodging if I had to.

So everything but red attacks can be parried, and red attacks can be parried with skills or jump kick, right?

It depends. Thrusts can be parried with Mikiri, sweeps must be jumped. The fun y part is a lot of things count as thrusts you wouldn't think, like the one armed Ninjas kicks - and yes you can Mikiri those kicks.

The real problem is gauging the difference cause there's no indication besides animation whether it's a thrust or sweep.

Is it the same kanji for both?

Yes, same kanji, it's just gook script for DANGER

Just get really good at deflecting. Once you get late game or NG+ the prosthetics do get pretty effective though and are fun to use. For now just focus on learning opponent move sets and deflecting them. The boss fights are much more punishing than in Dark Souls but its still the same formula of learning the move set and reacting appropriately. Also, remember you have additional tools like endless sprint, jumping, etc. Most bosses you want to be aggressive with but there are some exceptions.

Yeah you just gotta learn the animations.

just got to the manor with the carp scale vendor. should i farm enough for all of these items before moving forward, or can i come back at any time?

I feel the exact opposite. In Souls you just become overpowered by endgame if your build is slightly coherent and in Sekiro I never truly feel like I can do anything without trying a bunch of times.

Whats fucking me up is the timing. I am so used to parrying in Nioh, where you parry just a split second before it hits you, because you need to account for the weapon speed in getting there to parry the incoming attack. And each weapon has a different timing. Even parry skills in the same weapon skill tree have different timings. Just need to keep practicing. Is the timing the same for minor enemies and minibosses, or are the timings different between each enemy type?

You can get enough in a single game cycle to buy all the stuff.

Overall I thought the game was great. Felt like somethings could have used more work, as if the ending felt a little bit rushed or perhaps it there wasn't as nice flow as I wanted to figure out end game stuff. Like there are multiple endings and I really only figured some shit out by accident when going back and trying to make sure everything I could finish was finished.

Carp shit isn't needed right now. you can learn how to swim way later in the game and farming those things are a pain in the ass at your stage and not worth your time. Overall not needed, the mask thing in nice but all is does is allow you to level your attack up with 5 skill points or w.e, but it's really a NG+ kind of thing I feel after you got everything else. I got it and didn't end up using it once but I never went to NG+
If you get scales get the skill, it's somewhat nice to use but for sure not needed.

aight thanks, hate it when vendor disappear because you did some random shit

addendum:
learn how to swim "better", you'll find out later.

Yeah the fish are frustrating to try and catch. I did get enough scales to get the red gourd. Looking at the castle, I'm guessing it could be useful.

Thought this game was going to my GOTY.

Forgot all about it within a month.

>Is the timing the same for minor enemies and minibosses, or are the timings different between each enemy type?

Honestly that's a good questions and I don't know for sure because its something I just kind of developed muscle memory of through trial and error. Ultimately you want to time it nearly instantaneously with contact, but maybe slightly before. There are definitely bosses that have interesting attacks and feints that make it more difficult to time though, tricking you into parrying too early. Try to watch the weapon itself, it can slow it down for you. The final boss seemed crazy to me at first because of all of his movement and flourishes but I realized I could just follow his weapon and it helped immensely. I will say the game didn't really click for me in terms of being able to pull of fluid combat until a decent bit after where you are.

>about to beat owl 2
>game tabs out
at least it only took 3 tries
probably easier than owl 1 honestly

I'll give that a try. And now that you mention it, I noticed something weird, but it could just be that I'm a little high. For normal sized enemies, parrying when the tip of the blade hits you is the goal. On bigger enemies like the dude on the horse, the parry window was almost 1/3 into the weapon. Might have been me seeing it wrong.

is Ashina Cross any good?
I've got 5 points to spend

Attached: 1484986145635.jpg (320x257, 20K)

only decent skills are ichimonji, floating passage, and high monk
dragon flash is also fun for clearing groups of weak stuff at range (mibu, monkeys)

Just stick with ichimonji.

It's flavor country. It's a big country.

Attached: IMG_20190517_225203_510.jpg (659x506, 52K)

No you truly feel invincible if you defeat him as soon as you meet him

Is every boss going to be a variation of:

>one big guy 4 u
>a tag team
>annoying faggot with his 8 fag hag friends

divine dragon is such a pain in the ass to fight when the grapple points don't show up properly unless you unlock

deflect more than you dodge
also don't underestimate jumps, they are often more useful than dodge for not taking dmg. it's just harder to deal dmg afterward, so abuse it to learn the enemy's pattern

>enemies can turn around to attack you
Woah...thats like...bad game design....woah

Ichimonji Double is all you need

>bosses have a dozen body guards

wow, such difficulty. much skill.

You just need to understand his patterns.
I killed him in first try in my NG+ run.
Remember, only his fire side is "unblockable), his normal side could be parried with no damage at all.

The headless dude is called headless and they are the worst "heavy" for a From has ever produced unlike the Black Knoghts in DS1, executioners in BB and Crystal Lizards from DS3. They slow your speed, have weird windup times and hit like trucks. Opposite of fun.

Pretty sure sweeps can be dodged or at least the one sweep that SSI does can be and it knocks you back like a strong attack someone has a webm of it

I like that they had the balls to keep the kanji in the English version and not translate it

Living Force is the best skill in the game.

It gives your sword 10 seconds of flame damage. That means you chip their health. If you just spam R1, then they light on fire. When doing so, they're stunned and take EVEN MORE damage.

It works against most bosses. Living Force will take half a life bar off most bosses. It's ridiculous.

Shitter

worst heavy is still BB shark giants
bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Shark-Giant

Although I the heavies are definitely 2nd place, they don't fuck around

A lot of enemies cannot easily reach behind them so you can do a two hit combo before you're even in danger.
If you play this game like it's Ds1 (aka stick it to their butts) it becomes incredibly easier.

I played for about 2 hours and I'm not into it. I thought I'd love it since it's more in the "pure action game" direction than Bloodborne (which I thought was good, not great) was, but ehh
>jumping and wall jumping feel janky, shimmying sucks
>grapple hooking feels spastic. it feels like I can just spam it without looking rather than something tactical or skillful
>performance is dogshit even though capcom and platinum hit 60fps with their action games. seriously even god of war has better performance
>give absolutely zero shits about the story or the characters
>ease-dropping as a mechanic makes no sense whatsoever. how did we regress from thief in the "play dialogue when the player is in range to hear it" department?
>other layers of ugliness, like how a cutscene will pan the camera to behind wolf's back and the cutscene director clearly wants the game to seamlessly transition from cutscene to gameplay, but from is stuck in the 6th gen or something and just don't know how to manage that. or how every time you pick up an item there's a popup describing what it does-- like hey if they really wanted to make sure players knew what each item did, why not go all the way and label them literally as to their function, like "+50hp" for the gourd and "nonlethal projectile" for the shard?
>incredibly awkward first level where I fell off a bridge and was looking for some way to climb up but it turns out some incredibly mundane looking SHUT DOOR was the exit I was intended to take, in a level full of locked doors.

You might be unironicaly retarded.

Attached: 1522576836640.png (382x417, 242K)

Explain further. With that last point I may have been a little stupid, but when I approached the door it said something about escaping the level, which was worded like I was abandoning the level rather than reaching the exit.

You have to actively look for grappling points and the few ones where it's just a scenic route are just a test of your reaction times (or a giant snake).
Eavesdropping is pretty useful in the sense that if you don't care about the story or getting any hints you can just skip them like you would a cutscene. Although some of them are used to advance certain quests.
The item popups are seriously annoying and I suggest you get some mods to fix that.
As for the performance I've seen games which absolutely chug no matter how good your PC is (like fallout 4) and sekiro is not one of them. What are your specs?

just beat isshin in NG+
weirdly his first phase was hardest for me in NG and second was easier and it was reversed in NG+
was clearing phase one in like a minute after I figured out the easy way
how much worse is enemy posture damage in 2+? wondering if it'd be easier to just start a new game for the last two endings

>Eavesdropping is pretty useful in the sense that if you don't care about the story or getting any hints you can just skip them like you would a cutscene.
Have you never played any other stealth game? In any other game they just start talking on their own and if I didn't care what they are saying, I can just ignore them and walk past. In Sekiro it's dumb that I have to press a button to get them to talk, as if I'm mindfucking them to engage in conversation. It takes me out of it and feels so artificial. It feels really amateurish.

It probably has to do with the engine. It seems like extensive dialogue has to be initiated instead of being like a battlecry or a grunt.
It still gives you something more to look for other than items, and it also rewards good stealthy gameplay as opposed to a full frontal assault (which is how a shinobi is supposed to be anyway).

Sekiro is super fun, at first I tought doing NG+ would be too bothersome but attack power is kinda busted, even starting NG++ while charmless doesn't make that much of a difference, maybe pairing it with the bell will change everything (only tried bell on NG+ and it was super fun). Charmless perfect runs are a big nope, though.

the dodge has less iframes than roll and all the iframes are at the beginning of the animation. you have to dodge very late and even then it has to be precise in direction. this design incentivizes using deflecting over dodge iframe abuse

Greatshields my nigga

Jump cancel double ichimonji my man.