Why is the Kirby franchise so... basic?

Why is the Kirby franchise so... basic?

HAL has shown off that they've got good ideas from their concept art work, they're good with music and their art and animation for working with simple models are smooth and when final bosses are involve usually are the best set pieces in the game.

So why does the gameplay just... keep the same? Why do they keep the theme the same? Outside of Planet Robobot which did a robotization theme. all of them follow the 'Grassland, Desert, Ocean, Forest, etc theme.

Do you think the next thing HAL makes is going to be different?

Attached: D_KRxGQXYAc97B_.jpg (750x563, 48K)

It has no strong creative direction, and little understanding of the series original principles. Kumazaki is good at including fan service and keeping the series as economic and consistent as he can, but that's about it. All the talented developers and artists no longer work at Hal.

Dumbass. You have no concept of what Kirby is meant to be.
It's a game for beginner players. Not necessarily kids, but people who don't play much vidya.
Why do you think Air Ride had one button controls?
Why is the partner system shilled so much in Super Star?
Similar to how Dragon Quest is a basic-ass RPG, Kirby is a basic-ass platformer, with basic-ass themes and basic-ass design

Because Sakurai intended the IP to be specifically for little children.
This seems to be a recurring theme with all his work: he makes something, has a clear idea in mind, knows what his target audience is, but inevitably he becomes surrounded with sweaty, smell, overweight neckbeards that start to nag him over and over on wich direction his IPs should go in the future, and he wants nothing to do with them.
He just wants to make games the way HE wants them to be.

Who are all these abnormal mutants that always surround him?
Where did they even come from?
Go away, stop playing games intended for children, have sex already.

Attached: 263246346.jpg (225x225, 6K)

>It's a game for beginner players. Not necessarily kids, but people who don't play much vidya.
The first one was. Sakurai wanted to move away from that as early as the second game.

Name one thing that is hard in any Kirby game lol. One challenge. I'll wait.

No, unless they make some shit like a Meta Knight game or a Squeaks game where they can go full ham it’s gonna be the same stuff next time.

What? You clearly haven't played many kirby games. Pretty much every new game for a while has had a new gimmick. not to mention the occasional spinoff

Arena is usually pretty difficult.

Fuck this notion. I like Kirby but saying it can't be expected to progress is dumb.

Kids nowadays look for more shit in games. They're playing stuff like Minecraft and Fortnite which are 1st and 3rd person games, a 2d platformer to them is easy to understand.

I will agree on the Dragon-Quest comparison. Both franchises are comfy nostalgia wanks which always has fan-service to keep the fans happy but even Dragon-Quest expands its game play. Kirby's spin offs are rather tame in comaprison.

It needs to do more.

Kirby's Air Ride is baby's first cart racing game and outside of City Trial is boring, even then, city trial is only good with friends.

Hypernova was a rehash of Ultra Abillities.
Star Allies gimmick was Super Star's done worse.

The only good gimmick we had lately is the Mecha.

Kirby's dreamland 2/3 was animal friends which was pretty much copied from 64's mix and match.

Again, the only gimmick which effectively changed the game as a whole mechanic wise was the Robobot armour.

Completing the grids in Air Ride is a bitch.

>Arena
Is a complete cake walk when you use any of the abillities and even without them the Stars do a ton of damage.

Pretty much you'd have to use Fire or any of the joke abillities to have a difficult time.

Attached: 1561440924371.jpg (365x380, 43K)

>all of them follow the 'Grassland, Desert, Ocean, Forest, etc theme
RTDL is the only one that really follows this to a T but even then you have the Halcandra planet you travel to afterwards

Well, aparently the original Super Star was too hard, so they remade it into a game that's far easier. Super Star Ultra rebalances the game so significantly that it might as well be baby mode.

Hmm, fair enough. I guess those gimmicks can seem pretty similar. And personally i do think robobot is the best kirby game in my opinion. I'm not sure if they'll continue trying different stuff though. I mean, wasn't star allies their best selling game? It's kind of proven they can phone it in and still make cash. I mean at least its not as bad as pokemon. Star allies did look significantly better than past entries

I mean that's debatable. Difficulty is subjective. Some people think gore magala is hard to kill

That's why copy abilities exist. To give the game more potential for challenge. Layers of complexity wouldn't be added if only beginner players were being considered. It would have stayed as simple and small as the original Kirby's Dream Land, and inevitably become even easier and simpler from there.

Why do most Kirby games have like 70-79% metacritic score?

The difficulty mode in Dreamland, ironically.

All of the main line Kirby's play exactly the same.

The Spin-offs/side games usually are just ok or are forgettable.

All of them still have alot of effort and passion put into them to keep them from falling into being bad though. Rainbow Curse may be a meh game but it has the single best soundtrack in the whole franchise. Mass Attack is an ok side game with fun minigames with nostalgic references.

Plus, Compared to Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/any other Nintendo game with a large fanbase like Star Fox or Metroid. Kirby is pretty basic.

Attached: steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net.jpg (637x358, 52K)

>Kirby's dreamland 2/3 was animal friends which was pretty much copied from 64's mix and match.
Both of those games predate 64 by years

Think it was a typo.

>Again, the only gimmick which effectively changed the game as a whole mechanic wise was the Robobot armour.
The robobot armor is just that, a gimmick. It doesn't do anything to expand upon the base gameplay of the series. It isn't balanced or nuanced. The robobot armor are stuck to dedicated sections where you're meant to feel overpowered. It's basically a far more limited and unbalanced take on the animal friends. Each of those friends all had different strengths and weaknesses that made them more situational, but player freedom was still respected enough to let you take any one you want anywhere in the game up until the final boss. They're integral to the design of the entire games on a fundamental level. The only games that have attempted to genuinelt mix up Kirby's formula since the beginning were Kirby's Adventure, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Kirby Super Star, Kirby 64, and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror.

They don't deserve anything more than that.
They're all just "ok".

Because people think they're too easy which is fucking fine but people won't quit until kirby is dark souls.

Some of them deserve that score, however a few of them don’t.

press D to dab on seething mariofags and their bing bing trash.

Attached: kirbydab.png (500x353, 23K)

>arena is hard
>people don't just abuse the invincibility frames

I'd settle for Tropical Freeze levels of difficulty. Take cues from the best aspects of Kirby games like Super Star's weight and fluid movement, 64's design phylosophy of emphasizing platforming, and even Rick, Kine, and Coo to have a greater variety of challenges and level design.

Base D

Attached: DabanaDee.jpg (859x637, 43K)

Shimomura's Kirby >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Hackurai's Kirby. Shimomura had actual direction for the series and the lore, where as the team now just follows Hackurai's blueprints to keep it forever in the SUPER STAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Saturday morning cartoon state it is in right now.

Kirby will ever take as big a step as SM64/OoT.

kirby super star ultra is better than both of those games.

God I want to fuck him. He's the cutest fucking character ever.

Attached: 1496212316637.jpg (561x800, 136K)

Mario and Zelda don't have Ribbon.

Attached: KSA_Ribbon.png (315x298, 86K)

Attached: 1556826721639.png (2440x1832, 3.31M)

>ultra
When you're so braindead you need the casualized version of an already easy game.

Good

oh, it's this cherrypicking again.

Attached: soulkirby.png (770x209, 258K)

No please kirby dropping like a lead weight is so shit

All of those looks completely different in style and gameplay

the original is also better than both of those games. either way - more challenge or more content - it still shits on your bing bing trash.

These all look significantly different.

Nah it probably will happen eventually. It'll just take 2 more decades

Shame that every game on the top plays like utter shit. I like how it also conveniently forgot to use Robobot in this comparison too.

i am SHOCKED that the difference in graphics between a game boy game and an n64 game is wider than the one between a wii game and a 3ds game.

so do the newer games.

Attached: soulkirby2.png (1280x720, 1.26M)

If your reaction time is that of a 93-year-old lady then I suppose it would be and why you would need very floaty gameplay. To people that play and enjoy video games for fun, it's satisfying and fluid to have a nice, weighty Kirby and you can start to float if you jump into danger. Even better if it carries the downward headbonk mechanic from Dream Land 3 and 64.

>Why is the Kirby franchise so... basic?
Because that's the intent, retard. It was designed as an easy game to either introduce younger players to the genre and act as a more relaxing adventure for veterans

Planet Robobot is like a 1 win streak, it doesn't make up for all the consistently bad ones.

Those all look like the same game.

New kirby game when?

No, that's just the first game. Sakurai wanted to move away from that as early as the second game.

>to keep it forever in the SUPER STAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Saturday morning cartoon state it is in right now.
You say that like it's a bad thing, after all the lore for kirby caused a lot of dumb shit to spawn like kirby being an eldritch god.

sure, if you're blind.

>Why is the Kirby franchise so... basic?

You want the fucking dark terrible answer?

Because the Kirby franchise is genuinely and unironically meant for children.

And I don't even mean that in some "Hurr Nintendo is for KIDS" way. Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong are all clearly meant to be family friendly; but you could always tell there was a sort of passionate spark behind them, and that they had something for adults to enjoy as well. Kirby never was this, it was always designed to be super easy with basic gameplay, cute characters and simple shapes, things that's easy for a young mind to grasp and understand.

Kirby is a goddamn kids franchise, and there's nothing wrong with that, but they're deliberately designed to be basic because they're supposed to be for very young children. It's like the teletubbies of video games.

>Sakurai wanted to move away from that as early as the second game.
False, and the fact that later games are easier proves that.

>It's like the teletubbies of video games.
Eh, I can think of a few that fit the bill better.

Yeah sure my reaction time is that of a 93 year old lady and I play and enjoy video games for fun. Playing with a brick feels like shit and doesnt feel fluid at all since he falls at a far faster rate than he flies or moves.
Well I guess I didn't have to worry anyway since luckily it seems that horrible shit will never come back.

>that's just the first game
It applies to every game, why do you think the copy abilities were made?

I hate how egotistical Sakurai is. I bet he wanted Kirby to never touch humans because it "interrupts his vision". What's worse, it's not even a bad approach, but that's no excuse for Adeleine going missing for almost two decades.

You aren't thinking like Sakurai, he probably just thinks humans are boring.

Later games that are directed by glorified janitors, not Sakurai or Shimomura. Kirby's classic games incorporated more complexity and challenge as they went on. Modern Kirby games are all the same repetitive and braindead with a gimmick and a grandiose final boss thrown in.

That would be an awfully shallow and vindictive conclusion of analyzing a colleague's character.

This, Super Star is WAY too hard to play and it feels like shit because of that. I'm glad Kirby is easy enough for me to beat now.

>there are "people" so awful at games that even Kirby Super Star is too hard for them
>you share a board with these "people"

>Kirby's classic games incorporated more complexity and challenge as they went on.
Also false. With Adventure in particular Sakurai wanted to retain the ease but increase replayability hence why the copy abilities were born.

You don't know much about this do you.

>Kirby's classic games incorporated more complexity and challenge as they went on.
Have you actually played any of the early kirby games?

>Modern Kirby games are all the same repetitive and braindead with a gimmick and a grandiose final boss thrown in
Which are all based on the Dreamland 2 style. You know, the third kirby game?

To be fair humans in kirby are pretty boring.

t.borbfucker