Hey Yea Forums

Hey Yea Forums

Why is Dark Souls so fucking good?

Attached: ds_blightown.png (1217x1215, 1.34M)

The first half is almost perfect in terms of pacing and variety. Elevates the game as a whole considering everything after anor londo is weak, minus DLC and Painted world.

in Blightown right now, fucking nightmare, I'm down in the bug infested swamp bit and can't find the 2nd bonfire

I just wish the community wasn't so irrevocably split. I love every game in the series, hell I love nearly every single game in the genre. It just hurts a bit to know that I can never discuss these games properly with anyone but my IRL friends without getting shitposted to death.

Attached: King_Vendrick.png (1920x1080, 3.62M)

I think there's legitimately something good about each entry. Bloodborne is my favorite, but being a big dick baller power stancer is DS2 is really fun. Also, DS3 has by far the best PvP.

Discovering what happened to King Vendrick was more hard hitting to me than Sif

The second half being bad is an over-exaggerated meme. Only Lost Izalith is straight up bad.

it came out at the exact right time, people were hungry for something more and Dark Souls gave it to them.

One reason I liked it so much, is because the devs weren't afraid of prayers missing out on huge chunks of content, so when you do find that optional area it actually feels like an achievement.
Also how it doesn't treat you like a braindead retard in general is quite refreshing

>hell I love nearly every single game in the genre
Except which ones?

Duke's Archives is fine, Crystal Caves is just nothing, Tomb of the Giants is short (because being blinded too long would suck ass, but if the concern is 'can we justify a gimmick' rather than 'Is this a fun but decent challenge' then you've fucked up), and New Londo Ruins is actually pretty good, but waaaaaaaay to short.

>I know that dark souls 2 is objectively the worst game in the series
>it's the one I've re-played the most
I don't think it's a bad game at all, it might be the weakest in the series but I still enjoyed it more than anything else that year

it also did everything right.
1. Solid, engaging combat system that really nails the basic dodge/block mechanics. (the people who nitpick about the hitboxes and such miss the substantial parts that are done wwell).
2. The depth of the combat system was substantially realized by the build+weapon system. Heavy weapons feel like heavy weapons. Light weapons feel like light weapons. Piercing weapons feel like piercing weapons, slicing weapons feel like slicing weapons. Even seemingly useless weapons like the whip fill a niche.
3. Great level design and boss design (a few misfires happen when you take chances.)
4. Meaningful challenge throughout, but not actually that hard outside of a few bosses like O&S. Plus an RPG-style leveling mechanic that lets players grind
5. The semi-open interconnected world allowing sequence breaks that really enhance replayability.

Tomb of the Giants darkness gimmick is great. Not sure how big of a fag one must be to bitch about it.

Dark Souls 2 may be the weakest, but you guys here on Yea Forums are too focused on DANK gameplay, reused assets and AI. Ok, that's enough for making it a mediocre game, at least for DS stadards

But King Vendrick, the whole story, that bitch Nashandra and the DLCs, where super tragic, I really felt despair and desolation playing that game.
The tale of a king trying his best to save himself and the fate of his kingdom, only to succumb to his thot waifu
he's literally me

Attached: medium.jpg (500x414, 20K)

I don't think it's terrible. My problem with TotG is that the gimmick necessitates that the area be brief. Every area in that game is easier to breeze through after the first time, except for Giants, because it's so fucking short already. The gimmick only challenges you the first time you play through that game, every time after it's usually the first of the four I beat because that layout is so simple.

How can you not find it? It's literally in the middle of the swamp.

Honestly, Lost Izalith is rough but fine. Demon Ruins before it was lazy as fuck, but I think LI only gets the worst reputation because of Bed of Chaos being a completely shit boss.

because it's babbies first game

It has some kind of magic that I haven't found in other Souls games

passion

Attached: 51820610_p0.jpg (703x950, 529K)

>Also how it doesn't treat you like a braindead retard in general is quite refreshing
This is really nice. So many big budget games want to hold your hand for the sake of accessibility.

blight town really isnt that hard

>Exploration is fun and rewarding
>Lots of armor and weapon variety
>Dark Fantasy
>Story doesn't get in the way
>No hand holding
>Fashion

All 3 games are god tier.

I just started Bloodborne today.

NIOH is also good.

>prayers
hidetaka?

It's ironically full of SOUL.

it's a game
it doesn't pretend to be a movie or a book

I actually played DS2 more than 1 because of the build variety. I could never stand most of the shit after Anor Londo.

I feel like Dark Souls 2 captured the feeling of an old school 80s fantasy era setting turned into a modern game. Lots of varied environments, and a general feeling of wistfulness about it - ironically as much as I hate the shitty lighting and N64 textures it does give the game a unique feeling.

I've seen theories that link DS2 to Shadow Tower or King's Field and that honestly feels that's what DS2 should have been doing.
If they made a "sequel" to DS2 with all its weird ideas properly refined and without any reference to DS1 memes, it could be great, like a new King's Field or something.

Despite thinking that DS2 is the weaker of the three, it's still an amazing game. It's just sad thinking how much better it could've been had it not been for the issues they had during development.

I fucking hate 2 but I 100% agree. Fuck this shit fanbase.

Attached: 1491571179511.png (500x446, 164K)

One is up the left side the other is after a boss. Did you get down from the wheel or the other way?