Realism is killing the game industry

I got work at a game studio a few months back, and there's an issue that is literally ruining this project I am working on. The company is making a third person shooter/action game hybrid, with a melee combat system and parkour. In terms of gameplay think of something like Resident Evil 5 and 6 but more refined and with actual combos and other mechanics in melee instead of stiff singular attacks.

Now, I was happy when I first got on board, but then I saw the direction the project is taking, and I am vehemently against it. The problem? They're using a realistic artstyle, and it's even influencing the gameplay. First off, the game looks boring, the setting is a semi futuristic city, problem is it being in a realism style makes it inherently boring. There's no creativity in realism, no soul. It looks no different from any other modern game. Nothing sets it apart.

The gameplay is a problem too, as well as character design. A game like this needs real crazy combat to be fun, but the team wants it to be somewhat more realistic. No launchers and crazy juggle combos, or air dashes galore. If you played RE 5 and 6 you know what I mean, the combat in those games sucked ass due to being realistic and boring as shit. The character designs suffer too. There's no really cool designs like you'd find in more animeish games, and the characters who could have cool designs look retarded due to the realism(essentially the problem Vergil and Dante have in DMC 5).

I proposed they scrap what they have, and do a cel shaded anime style, something like a Suda51 game maybe. As it is, the push for realism is going to cause this game to be a boring, souless mess, like the later Resident Evil games, or DMC 5.

Attached: realism sucks.jpg (2560x1440, 1.19M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Uf0DhP72EN4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

op has a point, dmc 5 does lack the soul the previous games had

stop making this thread, you faggot

Realism and the urge to make graphics > gameplay have always been the downfall of games.

You haven't played 5 or 6. Stop making this thread, faggot.

zzzzZ

>brz
>Not wrx

Attached: puper.png (676x676, 406K)

Attached: be9.jpg (460x500, 42K)

>reposted from reddit

Not sure how bullshit is in this OP, but GOOD.
This industry needs to fucking die already, especially western part of it.

I played 5 and 6, they both had shit combat, and the melee was fucking stiff and boring as hell. Don't talk about shit you clearly have no experience with, like good gameplay, or sex for that matter.

>RE5 and 6
>realistic
who could take you seriously after this claim? Also Dante looks great in DMC5, and so does Vergil.

>RE 5 and 6
>Realistic combat

Holy shit whoever wrote this surely has brain damage

Someone hasn't put enough time into Mercenaries. Conceive

movie industry too, someone post the hitchcok quote.

Attached: main.jpg (1200x675, 119K)

Waiter, this pasta is stale.

You know what I mean retard,m the combat is semi realistic, there's no cool or real crazy shit like most Japanese games:

youtube.com/watch?v=Uf0DhP72EN4

Combat was boring as fuck.

It's fucking dogshit.

Realism is stale. Doesn't stop game studios from doing it again and again.

yeah games with "artstyle" are much better..

Attached: aom9.jpg (3840x2160, 3.33M)

See that? Now that looks good.

unironically kill yourself

That looks as generic as photorealistic games do. Agents of Mayhem looks like a Crackdown game

Attached: aom11.jpg (3840x2160, 3.43M)

That looks fantastic, what game?

>Leon doing a literal gun kata and a bulldog within the FIRST MINUTE
Wow so realistic. And it’s still the RE universe, what the fuck do you want? Stands? Magic transformations? I don’t get your point.

The realism artstyle ruined 5. The characters all look weird as fuck now and make goofy/ugly faces. Trish looks ugly as shit now, Lady and V have jew noses, Dante and Vergil look like over the hill weeaboo dudes, and Nero looks like that fucking one wrestler in WWE, I forget his name. Also why the fuck is their hair grey now instead of white like it's supposed to be?

waaaay too realistic, try again

Attached: jet-set-radio-screenshot-1.0.jpg (1200x800, 166K)

>I proposed they scrap what they have, and do a cel shaded anime style
KEK yeah, like cell shaded anime vidya doesn't look completely soulless and bland

the game industry is fucking dead you retard. it doesn't matter what the goddamn artstyle is. Judgement has realistic graphics but that doesn't stop it from feeling like an actual entertaining video game. Unfortunately the story is retarded, which is kind of cringey given the story is whole point of it.

Modern games simply suck dick my man, and those who work on them are a disposable monkeywrench.

I love the artstyle in this game. It just looks vibrant and fucking FUN.

If Leon fought more like Dante in gunslinger mode, he'd be way more fun. Him doing some shitty wrestling hold doesn't suddenly make how he fights more cuhrazay.

I reinstate my point.
You literally have no clue what the fuck you're talking about to the point where there is not even a basis to argue on
do us all a favor and kill yourself

That shit looks fucking GOOD

Attached: crackdown 3 8k12.jpg (3840x2160, 3.13M)

You didn't disprove a single thing I said, you fucking realism shill. The game looks awful due to the artstyle used, it looks like a fucking Resident Evil game with cringier character designs now.

Notice because they didn't do realism style, the city has a more unique design and actually looks interesting.

Attached: crackdown 3 8k1.jpg (3840x2160, 3.68M)

That looks really good. Wish the studio I am working with would do something more like this.

yikes

Attached: crackdown 3 8k10.jpg (3840x2160, 3.3M)

That shit looks fuckin cool.

Attached: aom4.jpg (3840x2160, 3.4M)

>Wrx is for when you want to quickly get half way to the designation because you’ll break down en route

>brz is for when you want to get all the way there but slower than a minivan

1. Some people prefer realism
2. There are more non-realism games then EVER before
3. Nothing is killing gaming, gaming is begger than EVER before
4. It's OK to not like things but don't be a dick about the things you don't like!

Attached: 1550580113169.jpg (667x1024, 111K)

There is nothing wrong with realism

Listen fuckers, graphics are just a tool to convey the emotions the designer wants to. The more realistic the image, the more complex the emotions and themes you can approach and explore. Some ideas can be perfectly expressed through abstract mediums, but others just need visuals that relate to reality. The less attention you put into the "style" of the graphics, the more you understand what a good design actually is.
You can't avoid games trying to look realistic. And realistic graphics can't make a good game boring. BAD DESIGN does.

>NOOO not a well-balanced sports car, it should be a pigfat understeer-prone unreliable sporty shitbox with plastic interior rattles and a 15 year old engine!

Attached: 1545052865433.png (624x581, 68K)

THANK YOU

If you want realism, go the fuck outside. We play games to escape the shitty ass real world.

meant to reply to

Zelda Wind Waker and BOTW conveyed more emotion than any game with a realism artstyle ever did.

>We play games to escape the shitty ass real world
not everyone is afraid of reality, kid

who cares

Attached: 20190711194840_1.jpg (3840x2160, 2.1M)

>We play games to escape the shitty ass real world
I don't.

I enjoyed nfs2015 even though the acting was cringe and the handling was a bit garbage.

People who want good games care. Resident Evil haves have shit anti fun combat due to being realistic.

>Not a dodge ram

Attached: HD.jpg (680x661, 148K)

>missing the point completely
"more emotion"
What does that even mean? I was talking about complexity of said emotions, not some kind of number you could assign to your feelings.
That wasn't the point, anyway, and almost every good game tried to look as realistic as possible and beyond, but you probably didn't even notice

resi was never good

Attached: mm.jpg (3840x2160, 3.68M)

>play Mario 64
>want to turn around
>move thumbstick in opposite direction
>mario instantly changes direction without change in momentum, unrealisticly

>play any Rockstar game
>want to turn around
>move thumbstick in opposite direction
>character has to decelerate, turn with the turning radius of a minivan trying to do donuts, and reaccelerate
>irritating every time

I choose the former 10/10 times. 'Don't understand how they think making it feel like your character control like he's on a unicycle is good, even if it is more realistic.

Attached: wtBHFtE.png (1280x720, 464K)

EA is retarded and will not put in the WRX gens people actually want. They always give us the year it only came in hatchback.

Red Dead 2 felt so awful to play because of that shit, even basic shit like fighting or riding a horse was torture

Except that Mario 64 literally doesn't do that.

Play videogames before you lie about them user.

Maybe I'm misremembering, maybe if you're going max speed he kind of kicks himself off in the opposite direction, but it's still pretty snappy.

Bayonetta is one that definitely doesn't restrict movement.

>Resident Evil haves have shit anti fun combat due to being realistic.
Resident Evil games are survival horror action titles. They're not meant to have fun combat, they're meant to have tense, but competent gunplay, which they ALL have.

But 5 and 6 were action games, and had shit combat that wasn't tense or competent.

>anime style

Attached: 1562268573958.jpg (400x400, 24K)

>buying a Fiat
>ever

Attached: a65.jpg (499x430, 23K)

Funny that the guy who complains about realism not allowing variety thinks all games should play the same, the way HE enjoys them

5 had perfectly fine combat. You're just a shitter.
6 had TOO good a control scheme for a game that had no idea what it was trying to be. Too fluid for a game that didn't benefit from it.

Nigga, 6 wasn't nearly as fluid as a fucking dmc game. It played like shit.

If its not a 94 celica then its trash

there is nothing to "disprove" in your post because every single one of your points is objectively wrong and it'd be pointless to attempt to convince someone of the opposite when they were retarded enough to make those points to begin with.
Therefore, kill yourself.

Boxer engines are shit. There I said it.

Why in the world would someone buy a rwd subaru with no turbo? They should have just let Toyota handle it only and maybe we get a roadster version to compete with the miata since they revived the supra.

Based
Crap > anime = realism

It wasn't supposed to be, you stupid fucking nigger.
It was RESIDENT EVIL 6. Know what the game WASN'T called? It wasn't called DEVIL MAY CRY 6. It was called RESIDENT EVIL 6, like the RESIDENT EVIL games, from the RESIDENT EVIL series.

You concede that I am right then, eat shit faggot.

My POINT, is that RESIDENT EVIL 6 played like SHIT, and like a SHIT action game. If they wanted to do action, they should have made it play like DMC. Not SHIT. You fucking semen sommelier.

fuck you for making me read all of that and then putting the bait in the last sentence

Attached: 1554088451641.gif (480x238, 443K)

>If they wanted to do action, they should have made it play like DMC
Or like Vanquish, which actually has gunplay? Or how about other actual TPS action titles that aren't DMC, because you're a fucking stupid faggot that has no imagination besides rampant fanboyism for DMC. Know what? Jake SHOULD'VE played like God Hand, but he didn't, you know why?
Cause it's fucking RESIDENT EVIL.

You're absolutely right.

Realism has only one direction: realism.
If you wanna be realistic, a lot of things that are creative reasons for even making a game in the first place, are conceptually out of question.

Thats why so many games play the same these days.

>Boxer engines are shit.

Finally someone else agrees. The 86 would have been perfect with an I4 goddamit

Realism often comes at the cost of passion and gameplay

Attached: 1526909453951.jpg (1452x408, 493K)

Vanquish is garbage and so is God hand, dmc shits on both

This guy used to make these threads about fighting games, it's based on an old ass copy-pasta

Attached: Relax.gif (500x700, 997K)

Cel shaded would instantly make me think it's another garbage wannabe game. Realistic isn't overused in that particular genre, it's actually never used.

That would be the same as complaining about a JRPG using realistic looking characters. It never fucking happens but you would come in and say they should use big floaty hair and anime faces.

>JRPG using realistic looking characters. It never fucking happens

FF XV and FF 7 Remake

When OP say "realism", he refer to the hollywood type of realism which sadly is killing video games as a whole. Actual realism in videogames is not possible without far more compromises than hollywood realism, and thank god for that.

Attached: glavenus comparison.jpg (1450x408, 582K)

Ah, you're just retarded. Thanks for being so upfront about your mental deficiencies, though. I appreciate you being considerate. Now you won't waste our time anymore.

Attached: 1247981.png (366x482, 303K)

OP is meming, but it is not entirely false. Realism aka physical based rendering actually comes at a hefty technical price. The amount of textures for instance and materials, shader programs, etc. need to accomodate for this meme. For instance, where you had one low poly model with a simple texture, you now need to make a high poly model, retopo it to low poly (double the work), bake the normal maps, SSAO, unwrap and pack the texture UVs, etc. The workflow has become so complicated, not to mention animation (oh god) and how much the workload in these non-essential parts of games have been inflated over the years for the sake of realism.

Look at older games, they hada lot more gameplay depth and refinemennt because that was where the focus lied

Metal gear solid 5 was realistic but whit a interesting look

Attached: 1541857142968.png (700x700, 1.25M)

>'less pixels good'
mon on the right looks much better imo. also unfair to compare a desert setting to a vibrant forest if we're talking about art style. MHW is the best looking MH game; it's different but better.

Attached: 1551006422165.jpg (1280x720, 298K)

Suck my fuckin dick

> cool vibrations

The ultimate redpill (and this kills everyone in the industry, especially indie devs) is that AAA publishers could pump out 10x as many games with the tech we have today if they had just stuck to early PS2 era visuals, i.e. the best balance between realism and stylistic integrity.
Pixelshit is a joke, and a blight upon the paths forged by 8-bit and 16-bit hardware. Also, this neo-realism wave is soulless, derivative, and most importantly factors into a useless space race towards the most bloated game installs.
The ONLY way to save gaming - screencap this - is to go back to 2002. That was the most detailed games needed to be. We had Vice City, Metroid Prime, and Kingdom Hearts. Games DO NOT need to be any more demanding on hardware than as exhibited during this era. It's a scam, all of it. Shut it the fuck down.
Want to know why your games suck? Why you have crunch? Why SJWs are causing so much damage? Why lootboxes and other microtransactions exist? It's because pussy ass AAA companies won't scale back the work required to pump out these new games, when they KNOW...THEY LITERALLY FUCKING KNOW that using less polygons (NOT LOW-POLY SOI SHIT BUT ACTUALLY LESS POLYGONS) would take the stress out of everything.
This is the way to pave forward with gaming. Scale everything back. Go back to < 4 gb install bases for the most demanding shit. Start COMPRESSING VISUAL DATA. Stop with the V/A shit. Stop with the overblown compositions. Get real artists instead of code monkeys.
It's fucking bullshit. Muh politics, muh in-game economies, muh bankruptcy. We need to go back to the PS2 era right the fuck now before it's too late.
Mark my words, nostalgiafagging will bring us full circle, and THIS will be the new age ushered in. That's a quote.
MURDER ALL GAMES

If the engine bass rattle doesn't make your chest vibrate, and the car doesn't guzzle enough petrol to kill 1000 african children per hour, it's fucking trash.
I say this unironically.

Attached: 1324235345667.jpg (184x184, 13K)

Realism is cool actually

I concede that the death of retarded people benefits humanity and that you should therefore kill yourself

I mostly agree. Was it the xbox360/ps3 that pushed the realism meme for the first time with killzone and mgs4?

Agents of Mayhem

>WRX
Slow piece of shit. My '94 civic hatch circle around that shit with a few simple mods.

Where is this from?

>mfw drivin a 2017 bmw 320d

Attached: rock.gif (190x200, 1.16M)

>not NSX

Neither. Shadow of the Colossus. Unironically, the "games as art" fags pushed the realism meme into oblivion.
Shenmue told us doing it wasn't necessary. We didn't listen.

Are you stupid? Realistic fighting IS fun and there's none of them compared to CUHRAZY anime games.

Realism isn't the problem you fucking mong. Movies have done just fine in being "limited" by realism. It's shitty art direction that makes or breaks a games look. Mirror's Edge was rendered realistically and it's still one of the most visually stunning games of all time.

Attached: 183d.jpg.optimal.jpg (1934x1088, 117K)

Understandable if you only played the story because it really limited you with all those QTEs.

But you'd be a fucking retard to still call RE6's gameplay "dogshit" whenever you can actually see how stylish it can get in mercenaries.

What a terrible, terrible post. Why the actual fuck would you want 10x more games with 2002 era visuals when that would physically be too many to play? You oldfag hipsters aren't even the target market, most people don't want a return to literal 2000 era games.

The one on the right literally looks miles better.

I think at this point your only chance of success is a black protagonist

Futureland AND I BELIEVE

End your life and the result is a net positive