Was it really worse than the N64, or did everyone just grow out of Nintendo games for a while?

Was it really worse than the N64, or did everyone just grow out of Nintendo games for a while?

Attached: A5272C6F-474E-4F49-A16A-CD9386DF93F2.jpg (1200x900, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CRS5mjcjSkg
gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ps2-vs-wii-shovelware-26585514/
geek.com/news/99-dvd-players-dont-exist-542902/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The GBA had the best library out of any handheld ever made, but it's hardware was shit.

The GC had a decent, to pretty good library, but it was a niche console.
It was less popular.
Does "less popular" mean "bad" to you?
If so, then the GC was shit and the Wii was the best console ever made by nintendo.
But if "niche" instead means "better library of tight ass games", then the GC was actually superior, and so was the wiiu (no wonder they took the time to port 80% of it's library to the switch).

"good" or "bad" depends on your perspective and what you want out of a console.
I, personally, care about the library, and the ergonomics of the controller (if that fails, what other options i have that are natively compatible with the system and still allow me to have better controls).
Everything else for me is secondary.

Serious post refined culture man coming through.

Wii > Cube > SNES > Wii U > N64 > NES

240p support and Gamecube backward compatibility makes the Wii an absolute beast.

There are 5 games on the NES that can roughly be described as playable outside the Mario trilogy and just because you can doesnt mean you should.

gamecube was fine, it had the best controller with the worst buttons. i'd put it after ps2

Ok but saying "the wii is the best" because i can play GC games on it is kinda stupid.
Systems should be judged on their actual library.

It didn't offer GTA games and thats was a massive fucking deal. nu-Yea Forums can "ughh" at that statement all it likes, but the facts are we all played that era's GTA games. Not even exclusive series like Resident Evil could tempt people over without the other big third parties.

>Systems should be judged on their actual library.
That would still put the wii ahead of the GC.

>finally release a disc-based system
>use proprietary mini-DVDs with less than half the storage of the competition, storage being half the reason the N64 struggled to appease third-parties
>competition is able to take advantage of a shift in home-media format dominance by selling their console as a media player for less than a dedicated player would have cost at the time
>also at a time when even more people were getting into gaming and made no efforts to help the creators of some of the franchises which quickly became cultural phenomenons port their games to the system

nintendo doesn't allow mature games

The N64 plays like ass going back to it. With the exception of some Nintendo/Rare gems, everything has been replaced by a superior game. The gamecube on the other hand is still tight to play, and many games on it are best of their series or the series ended on it. Few games are totally obsolete

SNES > GC > WII U > NES > N64 > WII > SWITCH

Handhelds:

3DS > DS > GBA > VIRTUAL BOY > GBC > GB

You didn't own a GC, did you.

>It didn't offer GTA games
Xbox had GTA and still only sold about as much as the Gamecube

I LITERALLY mentioned RE in my post.

>did everyone just grow out of Nintendo games for a while?
This, kind of. I think the GC era is where Nintendo got its "for kids" fame, since most "mature" series either moved on to the PS2 or tried for the new competitor that was the Xbox (not to mention the arbitrary decision to go for mini DVDs was questionable at best).

>and many games on it are best of their series
You what?
There was only one series that had their best game on the GC and it was F-Zero everything else failed to hit the mark of their predecessors.

>Wii

Stopped reading there.
You have no taste.

Attached: 200.gif (290x200, 2.36M)

What? Gamecube is the best console Nintendo has ever made

Yes because PS2 offered gta AND had better exclusives AND had backwards compatibility AND was cheaper AND had a working DVD player right off the bat. It was retarded to NOT choose the PS2.

Xbox was also a console from an untested company with a fuckhuge controller during a turbulent time where any fuckwit in charge of a tech company thought they should be selling consoles despite the company with the lion's share of the market steadily going under.

It was a good console but it had shitty third party support compared to the limitless bounty that was PS2's.

>I think the GC era is where Nintendo got its "for kids" fame
Couldn't be further from the truth.

>RE
>mature

>Geist
>Resi
>metal gear
>killer 7
>Prince of persia
>true crime
That's just off the top of my head.

Anyone remember people being shocked at Killer7 and the scene where Samantha is fucking/raping a senile Harman? I recall there being some articles about it.

>he really believes this

GameCube was great for first-parties and was cheap, which was really all I cared about as a poorfag kid. To this day I have still only played to completion four PS2 games, and three of those were a few years ago.

Says the person who only played wii sports.

the problem is that it looked more like a toy, the controller seem to be made with legos. The ps2 had the dvd player so it was a bergain to get along with more "adult" games.

>working DVD player right off the ba
Didn't the Xbox work as a DVD player too?

Go on then, name the games that you think were the best.

Yet more Ps2 games were censored

You had to buy their remote/receiver to 'unlock' the DVD playback.

Fuck off underage, there was nothing quite like this in 2002. This was pretty fucking mature.

youtu.be/CRS5mjcjSkg

GameCube was the best console ever but it was released at the worst time. Games like Luigi's Mansion still hold up very well today and there were so many classics. How could you compete with the ps2 which was much more inviting to mature titles.

Attached: IMG_20190615_152046.jpg (174x215, 9K)

>GameCube was great for first-parties

Protip: most people care 3rd party >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>st party

It had Eternal Darkness and Skies of Arcadia which are both better than your favorite game so it was alright.

Nice job outing yourself retarded underage. You needed a remote sold seprately

Gamecube was great. Early on it had great 3rd party support, most sports titles (especially my fav NHL Blitz), Resi 4, etc.

And a great library of first titles. But that god awful disc choice really messed them up as did lack of dvd.

Wii was great too, mainly because it could play GC games. But it's first party library was strong, at least until 2009. Probably Nintendo's best offerings on any of their systems.

I don't yet own a switch but if I were to rank the consoles I'd go

GC > Wii > Snes > N64 > Wii U > Nes > Virtual Boy

Wanna try that again in English, Pablo?

Metroid Prime 1 was best of its series
Pikmin 2 was best of its series
Melee was best of its series
Gale of Darkness is the best Pokemon spinoff
Luigi’s mansion is far better than its sequel
Rogue squadron 2 was best of its series
RE4 was best of its series
Peak EA Sports was during this era
Soul Caliber 2 with link is kino

I have more, if you want to continue being a faggot

Eternal darkness wasn't even better than Gamecube's own REmake

(You)

Attached: 142356.jpg (1440x900, 327K)

no one cares about zombie shit
people want games like gta and nintendo doesn't like adult games

If Nintendo actually catered to third parties and didn't make retarded design decisions they might've been an alternative Sony and Ms, but they chase stupid ass gimmicks and design choices over that.

Ok. No one gave a fuck about your bing bing wahoo cunt. There im sure thats more your language you meme fuck.

You say that but it's never been true from GC-on, BMX XXX was entirely uncensored on GC, DS had GTA Chinatown and Doki Doki Majo Shinpan 1 and 2, Wii has Manhunt (2?), Madworld and a few other things, 3DS is literally where Senran Kagura started and Wii U had a bunch of Ubisoft stuff and Project Zero/Fatal Frame 5.

>no one cares about zombie shit
False, no one cares about buying a Nintendo console JUST to play Zombie shit. Zombie shit does just fine on actual platforms.

Attached: B6743FD1-6E48-4E73-B3BB-81BE8A347236.jpg (2933x4000, 1.48M)

Dumb zoomer. Motion controller was a dumb gimmick, and every game was better without it.

Attached: nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg (800x450, 18K)

Which reminds me, Nintendo needs another star wars rogue squadron game

>Metroid Prime 1 was best of its series
Super Metroid
>Pikmin 2 was best of its series
>Melee was best of its series
Pretty much any game after it bar Brawl unless you mod out tripping.
>Gale of Darkness is the best Pokemon spinoff
BW2 which was the only good game GF made as for best spin off in general that goes to skies or pokken.
>Luigi’s mansion is far better than its sequel
I'll let you have that on a technicality given 3 isn't out yet and we can't judge it.
>Rogue squadron 2 was best of its series
The lego star wars games were better
>RE4 was best of its series
True but the best version of 4 wasn't on the GC.
>Peak EA Sports was during this era
EA sports games haven't changed beyond the addition of microtransactions also we aren't talking about the era we're talking about the GC in particular.
>Soul Caliber 2 with link is kino
Multiplat, Link doesn't automatically change the entire game. That said I would give that to the HD versions for having every character bar Link but if they ever get it on Switch with them and link then that would be the best.

So all in all there's a potentially temporary 2 best in series games on it.

uhm EXCUSE ME but Luigi's Mansion is on Gamecube.

The Gamecube had far more games worth playing than the N64 did.

most wii games didn't even use motion controls, retard

correct

i consider the gamecube to be the best console i have ever owned desu

Attached: 1535280885644.jpg (195x258, 8K)

>Metroid Prime 1 was the best of its series
prime 2 was better

>Super Metroid
prime 2 was better

I never said multiplat doesnt count, also what in the fuck is a series to you? Super metroid is an entirely different game to the prime series, pretty sure anyone would be able to identify them as separate series. Lego star wars compared to rogue squadron? Not the same genre or game at all. Also how the fuck can you talk about multiplat games when you make this as a point

Fuck off troll

This is so fucking true. I'll never understand how anyone honestly believes RE4 was a huge hit and saved the series with sales.

Attached: 1558065741960.jpg (763x1080, 352K)

>people want games like gta
Like True Crime?
The GTA clone?
The one no one cares about because it wasn't branded with GTA?

Don't kid yourself, outside of here and our resident sonyfag community no one cares if a game is mature or not, it's all about the brand.

wii library is 90% shovelware

The same can be said of any console that was the biggest of its generation, look at the PS1, PS2 and DS.

>N64 > SNES > Wii > Cube > NES > Wii U

Attached: 1562317797699.png (800x1071, 641K)

If we're going by modding capabilities, Wii U should be at the top because in addition to having the Wii U library, it has Wii's, and everything else. Also, holy shit nigger, there are more than 5. In addition to the 6 Megaman games, we've got Kirby's Adventure, Castlevania 1, (3 if we're counting Japanese games), Gradius, Image Fight, The Legend of Zelda, Contra Super C (very easy for an NES game. Can be beaten even by people who suck at Contra games), and more.

If we're going by base library and not modding it's
SNES > Gamecube so far, bur Switch is really shaping up to be better and its current rate > Switch = NES > N64 > Wii > Wii U

>I never said multiplat doesnt count
You did when you said their best were on the GC, naturally if a game is a multiplat then it's not just on the GC is it.

>Super metroid is an entirely different game to the prime series
No, in fact it was liked because it was a good application of the traditional Metroid formula into 3d. Even if that wasn't the case then it would still be part of the Metroid series in the same way pinball is.
With that said the only reason I gave you Luigi's Mansion despite being a Mario series game is because of how many genres Mario spans and lumping them all together frankly wouldn't be fair to you.

>Also how the fuck can you talk about multiplat games when you make this as a point
You do realise it wasn't on me to pick exclusives, right? Again you made the claim that the GC had the best games in their respective series that doesn't mean I have to pick exclusives, on the contrary, I can pick anything.

Nothing comes close to the Wii, looks like someone already did the work

gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ps2-vs-wii-shovelware-26585514/

Whats funny is that RE4 fans always say "bro i will buy it on EVERY system it comes out on forever" which considering it has never sold more than 2 million copies on any single platform release makes me think roughly the same 2 million poeple keep fucking buying it and then claim "its sold nearly 10 million copies since 2005 bros" which doesn't mean 10 million people have played it.

How is that indicative of shovelware?

The 64 had godlike first party games due to rare which allowed it to fight head to head with the incredible ps1.
Gamecube did not had that and ps2 doubled down on ps1 library, it wasn't even a competition.

t. idort since I was a kid

Attached: 1550037159590.jpg (551x550, 267K)

>N64

SNES, ps1, ps2, and the DS have the greatest game libraries ever made. You could own only those four consoles and youd never run out of good games to play

Everything else is pretty shit in comparison

>The 64 had godlike first party games due to rare
>rare
>1st party

Attached: 69DBC5CC-1555-454E-9B21-9EF26F30F057.gif (250x190, 1.98M)

Ps2=GC>Xbox

>Pretty much any game after it bar Brawl unless you mod out tripping.
You're really reaching with this one. Certainly Ultimate was better, but 4 is debatable
>the lego star wars games were better
come the fuck on

Pretty much. I'm still discovering new SNES games to this day.

Exclusives, second party, you get what I mean faggot, no reason to act uppity with that straight from facebook/twitter filename

I recommend an obscure one called "Actraiser"

>You're really reaching with this one
Not really, melee is pretty dated at this point.
As for Star Wars, yes, lego does outpace it if just barely.

>Exclusives, second party, you get what I mean faggot

No i fucking do not when you specifically say one term and mean another, they aren't interchangable cunt, and also rare is overrated as fuck and Banjo was ugly and fucking gay, even Croc was better.

actraiser is obscure? it appears on the top 100 snes games lists

Oh you're just a retard, carry on then you walking laughing stock.

It didn't play DVDs.
Parents wanted a DVD player that didn't cost 600 dollars, so they told their kids they were getting a playstation and liking it.

>that straight from facebook/twitter filename
thats not what that means you newfag

Only a nerd would know that.

>say wrong things
>call others retard
I suppose you consider remakes as remasters and vice versa too huh?

SNES had the best Zelda, the best Metroid, the best Donkey Kong, the second best 2D Mario (behind SMB3), the best Fire Emblem and the best Kirby (not counting its DS remake)

Nintendo was on fire with the SNES and they've never been as good since

>Parents wanted a DVD player that didn't cost 600 dollars

Weird, because they could have easily done so before the PS2 was even out. Huh. Odd eh?

geek.com/news/99-dvd-players-dont-exist-542902/

The only Rare games worth mentioning were Goldeneye (which doesnt even hold up at all) Conker and Banjo Kazooie, Tooie was mediocre as fuck and DK64 was straight up BAD. The 64 still had games that ran like absolute dogshit (Mario Kart 64) absolutely 0 support from key supporters back in the SNES age, namely Square Enix, among other things. A handful of Rare games didn't make it this amazing console people parade it around as

>and they've never been as good since
Sure if you've never played any of their other systems, granted third parties have been off the ball.

>AAAA
that's not how it works

>namely Square Enix
Let's be honest Square hasn't been good since the SNES days.

Lets be honest, the PS1 FF games were amazing.

>flash deals outlet malls and online shopping in the year 2000.
Those sure sound like the best options that are easily accessible to the average consumer.

>Was it really worse than the N64
Literally nobody thinks this

>Wii U better than NES, N64, Wii, Switch

Attached: 8A993A06-5CE6-4B63-BA83-B210394E83F2.jpg (600x600, 18K)

The NES literally has thousands of games and was the origin of numerous classic Nintendo series that still get new entries today.

Gamecube > Wii > NES > Wii U > SNES > N64

>Parasite Eve 1-2
>FF 7-9
>Legend of Dragoon
>Chrono Cross
They had a lot of fun ps1 games.

Eh, not compared to 4, 5 and 6.
Not to mention Square's SNES library was great beyond FF to name a few including the above games there's
Chrono Trigger
Mario RPG
Secret of Mana
Live a Live
Romancing Saga

Had a GC and PC back then and I don't regret it once. Both xbox and ps2 had sub-par multiplat versions. PS2 was ok if you were into jrpgs and fighting games which I'm not.

>home consoles
SNES > NES > N64 > GCN > Wii > Wii U

>handhelds
GBA > GB > GBC > 3DS > DS

Point was this meme about $600 or nothing is dogshit BS. In the year 2000 no less.

>actually liking the wii and wiiu

what the fuck how old are you??

>Legend of Dragoon
That was made by Sony not Square.

There's a lot of great NES games, it's just most of them didn't make it onto Nintendo Switch Online for one reason or another. Most people only like to shit on the NES library because of the black box launch titles.
>castlevania 1, 3
>megaman 1-6
>mr. gimmick/gimmick!
>punch out
>earthbound beginnings
>gun nac
>contra
>tetris (the actual tetris that is played at the classic tetris world championships)
>balloon fight (it's a great game despite being a black box NES game)
>Final Fantasy III
>R.C. Pro-Am II
>Ninja Gaiden

>Chrono Cross
That game didn't even deserve to be called a Chrono game.

N64 is getting severely underrated by children in here

Everyone liked the wii. Sure it didn't have shit like COD4 but there's a reason sony and microsoft put out the play and kinect after wii sports was such a hit with pretty much anyone who ever played it

you're right.

Zelda did.

SNES > Gamecube = Wii U > NES > N64 > Wii

I can't rate the Switch yet as I don't own it, although it seems similar to the Wii U.

They're very different consoles. The Wii had the least memorable Mario games, and a Zelda that is a bit overly criticized on Yea Forums, but still only worth playing once or twice. It also had some overhyped crap like No More Heroes and Mad World.

The Wii U had Splatoon, definitive version of Smash 4, definitive versions of WW and TP, Mario 3D World, Mario Maker, DK Tropical Freeze, Breath of the Wild, etc. It was a solid console, very similar to the Switch. The Switch just updated some of these games or improved them, or just had superior versions of the same games, and people suddenly loved all these games on the Switch.

The criticism you're making doesn't really apply here. The Wii wasn't for children as you are implying. It was just a shit console with no games.

The N64 didn't sell well either though

People didnt grow out of nintndo, sony and microsoft launched an attack on nintendo as the "kid" console, something sega had tried in the past so it was a continued narrative and it worked during that time where as during the SNES days and even N64 it didnt. I think the pokemon craze dying down and thus being seen as a "fad" from "when we were kids" helped add to the "nintendo is for kids" thing. Playstation2 being a decently priced DVD player when those first came out so damn near everyone bought a PS2 is what really killed the gamecube though.

>The Wii had the least memorable Mario games,
Galaxy 1 and 2 shit all over sunshine, what the fuck are you on about. Not to mention everyone loving multiplayer 2D mario

Ohhhh, my bad, I always thought that was Square. Shame Sony doesn’t try making more RPGs nowadays.

How is the standard market price bullshit just because very specific locations had better deals available to a handful of people.

Gamecube had decent hardware, but dev's obviously weren't as invested in the console as the ps2 because of things like the mini dvd, lack of online, and possibly Nintendo just plain being Nintendo. Many ports I've played or watched ended up having worse framerates than the ps2 version despite looking like they should run well.

You have to understand, a lot of people currently posting on Yea Forums either didn't have a wii or didn't explore it's library.
That's why there are so many good games that went under the radar.

FFVII is legitimately good
Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the most celebrated TBS of all time, and considering nintendo didnt even have a Fire Emblem game on N64 it didn't help things along for them overseas
Parasite Eve 1-2 were great games as well.

Outside of those though we were also missing Capcom and significant Konami titles ranging from the more niche but popular Zombies ate my Neighbors and the MMX series on the capcom side

>GBA
>best handheld library
...really?

>The GBA had the best library out of any handheld ever made

DS >> GBA

GC was amazing.
I never had one on launch but I bought a used one for $30 about 7 years ago.
Has some AMAZING exclusives.

Attached: Eternal-Darkness_Cube_US_ESRB.jpg (800x1120, 489K)

it didnt have a lot of good games, but the good games it did have were some of the best of the decade
PIKMIN 4 FUCKING WHEN

Attached: D8A960E8-0E90-43E0-B9CD-015B3873E668.png (540x540, 27K)

I wish they would re release some of these 3rd party games on other systems.
I can only play LK2 on Dolphin because my physical copy was stolen and it's like $50 for a used copy (DISC ONLY) or a couple hundred for a "new" one.

Attached: Lost Kingdoms II.jpg (640x908, 103K)

If you were into fighting games DC was the only option with how many arcade perfect ports it had.

>we
Who's we?

Guess you've never played eternal darkness

Also, before someone even disputes my list, I will back up my statement. SNES being at the top is a standard opinion, this shouldn't even be controversial. The great debate often comes down to the SNES and PS2 for greatest console of all time. This is 2 + 2 = 4 territory. It's a no-brainer. Mega Man X, X2, X3, MM7, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Link to the Past, Kirby Super Star, Super Castlevania IV, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, FF6, Donkey Kong Country - These are all solid 8/10+ games. Very impressive library, not many consoles are that good.

Gamecube had a lot of unique experiences. Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball 2, Mario Sunshine, Kirby Air Ride, etc. NES has Castlevania, Mega Man series, Mario 1 through 3, Zelda 1 and 2, Ninja Gaiden series, Contra / Super C, and a lot of less mainline titles like Gun Nac, River City Ransom, Crystalis, etc. N64 is always remembered fondly but it was actually pretty shitty. Still, it had a handful of good games too: The Zelda games, Mario 64, Paper Mario, and Banjo Kazooie.

I totally disagree. Nobody bothers with Galaxy 1 or 2 anymore, but people still replay Mario Sunshine.

I think my dislike for the Wii is justified. I did own one at the time of its release, and I did play all of the "good" games on it. Are we seriously going to sit here and pretend some crap like Muramasa or Zack and Wiki are some excellent 10/10 games that will be played for years to come? Those won't be fondly remembered like other Nintendo console games are.

As a 30 year old boomer, that combo in the OP was the comfiest.

>and I did play all of the "good" games on it.
And what were they?

>but people still replay Mario Sunshine.
Less people replay that than the galaxy games.

What would be yours, user?

The only game I liked on the console was Skyward Sword. I will never bother to replay it again unless it gets a remaster because it's not worth it to bust out an old console for one decent game. I could name other games people think are good, but I don't want to do that because I don't agree.

>Sure it didn't have shit like COD4
user...

wrong
SNES > NES > Cube > Wii > N64 > Wii U

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Okaa-san Online - 01 [720p].mkv_snapshot_10.58_[2019.07.13_16.12.56].png (1280x720, 1.49M)

No, sorry, looks like my guess was accurate.

Attached: Untitled.png (730x710, 408K)

i think people didn't take it seriously with its mini discs and the cube shape compared to the other 2.

Name the five. Curious if you have the same five as I do

>head to head
The N64 sold 33 million units while the PS1 sold over 100 million. How is that even close to head to head? N64 was not as popular as you think. I personally know people who traded the fucker in for a dreamcast of all things. It had some good games, but it didnt sell.

>I totally disagree. Nobody bothers with Galaxy 1 or 2 anymore, but people still replay Mario Sunshine.

What sort of retarded hyperbole is this? How do you even begin to back this statement up, you monumental faggot?

>The Zelda games, Mario 64, Paper Mario, and Banjo Kazooie.
>no f zero x
>no mischief makers
>no kirby 64
>no goemon
>no snowboard kids 2
>no Waverace 64
>no Goldeneye
>no Jet Force Gemini
>no Blast Corps
>not even conker
I have a feeling you just never had an n64 or just played the basics. Funnily enough that's why people say the Wii was bad too.

You can hack the wii and emulate most of nintendo's game library. Wii U adds more while also adding higher resolutions.

>Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the most celebrated TBS of all time
Eh, that's more fame related than quality.

Storage was never a problem. 90% of the PS2 and Xbox library could also fit on a GCN mini DVD. The games that couldn’t were loaded with movies that could just be further compressed to fit on the GCN mini DVD. Most DVD games have large dummy files to fill in the space to push the data out so it reads faster. Without the dummy files, many games are tiny. Many are less than 1 GB. Nobody ever blamed storage. Developers never blamed storage. The small handful of games that needed to exceed the disc space simply shipped on two discs. The PS1 era had ma y games that shipped on multiple discs. All of the FF games shipped on three or four discs. Discs cost less than a dollar in materials. The disc size was never a real problem. Not at all

>The games that couldn’t were loaded with movies
I hate how FF7 caused that shift.

>here is a game that is the best in its series
>it is on the gamecube, among other consoles
>NUH UH NOT EXCLUSIVE
Go take your goalpost logic back to R*ddit

>among other consoles
Then its not just on the GC and you don't need a GC to play it.
You didn't think this through did you.