Sandbox / survival ggmaes thread

Let's have a sandbox games thread

Attached: sand.jpg (544x338, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LOH7W0UYy60
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The one thing I hate about most of these games is all the shit you place down is static. Building a giant house or fortress is as functional as building a hole in some dirt.

I have extensively played through Minecraft and Terraria and I think that both are good in certain ways, for instance Minecraft is better for a new playthrough and I like the 3d aspect, but I love the skill curve in Terraria

Commieblock is a lifestyle.
That said, in Terraria you are rewarded for properly building boss arenas and other combat-related mechanisms. Your home is entirely based on your interests in interior decoration, though.

Is this starbound? If so it looks way nicer than I remember, thumbnail aside.

what gameplay differences are their from Terraria? looks like the same game to me

Start a new world after a content update expert med size house always ends up like a apartment building than anything nice every single time.

starbound is tremendous piece of shit
terraria is bretty gud tho

its complete fucking shit and terraria is actually good

starbound does literally nothing better unless you like the way it looks which seems unlikely to me considering how ugly the game is

There's always Rust.
youtube.com/watch?v=LOH7W0UYy60

A) OP pic is Terraria
B) big differences in Starbound are that you have multiple planets of varying flavours with their own gatherings of biomes and occasionally NPC settlements.
The game is far less structures around bosses and more around tech progression.
Terraria without mods is cool and good; Starbound without mods racks a fraction of the playtime, less than a fraction of the bosses, and you'll have 'been there, done that' by roughly half way through the game.
In Starbound, guns kind of rule the roost as weapon speed is set to the weapon and can end up being fuck awful for combat, in my experience.

Starbound will provide a much more flush, tight and adaptable building system, as well as making exploration far more rewarding in general. Terraria, however has a much stronger sense of progress, and a much stronger sense of variety through weapons, bosses, the effects of various biomes, hardmode, etc.

Both are solid sandboxes but I'd play Terraria for more 'game' and Starbound for more 'sandbox.' I'd be happy to discuss more nuances but that's my hot take

Skip half the progression if you get lucky with ore drops in terraria.

Sounds like the player problem who are focused more on efficiency.

No, that is the other Terraria-clone, Edge of Space (the one with using space sharks as their major feature). Based on Steam Reviews, everyone hated it.

Starbound>Terraria

OP pic is Planet Centauri, learn2google nerds.

What are some of your favorite builds in Terraria? I made a big ass lighthouse and a UFO in the ocean

Starbound is a lot more like an RPG than Terraria. You've got quests, you've got NPCs that actually matter more than just being vendors, and at least as far as I can tell there's a lot less focus on crafting and a lot more on looting.

The main issues with Starbound are its combat, which is pretty atrocious compared to Terraria, and the difficulty, which basically peaks at the first mission and is almost never hard again.

I've heard good things about the base-building aspect since there's apparently an actual way to populate and build a town, but I've never been interested or engaged for long enough to try.

Planet Centauri is such a pile of shit and the devs are literal scammers.

>A) OP pic is Terraria
Literal retard. Have you even played Terraria? Cause the background looks nothing like it.

Terraria would be better without 50 fucking retarded NPCs you have to build a home for.

Why I'm waiting on the next expert mode cause that might slow my progress down enough to build something nice,

There should be some kind of "auto-home" function that just takes raw materials and spits out a basic rectangular house. Since most players just make commieblocks I doubt it would make a difference in the first place

Looks literally exactly like Terraria but with mods
Oh well
I made a mansion overtop the ocean, and I always derive satisfaction from boss arenas that let me fuck the boss up real good

But on my first expert run I built right on spawn and dug two giant trenches to bucket all the shit that spawned at night. When I started getting wires and traps I just finished the job obviously, and turned them into death pits. I liked that a bunch.

I love the mini terrarium-like builds though I haven't gotten into one myself.

Why? They're boring.

Building base is fun. How it would be actually better is if we didn't have to get like 30 fucking life crystals and fruits every new playthrough.

Does Starbound have any sort of "progression" to it, like how you have to beat Moonman eventually in Terraria?

They add adding a few QoL improvements for 1.4 so maybe it could be one of the 800+ items or you could use fargos mod.

Starbound's progression is farming and scanning shit so you can move on to farming and scanning shit of the next tier

There was an external tool that worked exactly like that, "blueprints" and all (it won't consume materials, though).
Not sure if the dev kept it up-to-date, it was kinda buggy last time I used it (yeara ago).

There is a "story" questline. After the intro/tutorial, you basically scan completely pointless shit until you unlock the next instanced map (can't mess with blocks, entirely combat-oriented) with a shitty boss fight at the end of it. Repeat it a few times until you unlock the last instance. Building, crafting, farming, etc. have absolutely nothing to do with your progression, it's just scan shit, talk to the old hag, beat shitty boss, repeat.

Pick which I should get Stardew Valley, Terraria or Starbound? ...or is there another Sandbox/Survival game that's good?

Minecraft.

I haven't played Minecraft since I was 13. Has it changed for the better or worse?

>Planet Centauri
>You fall from your spaceship
>all dat magic
Is this SpellJammer?

Attached: 20190713154838_1.jpg (1920x1080, 326K)

Anyone got any recommendations for any survival/sandbox games where you can take over an abandoned building/settlement? I dunno why I love it so much, I just like fixing up old places and making them my own
Zomboid kind of scratched the itch but was boring otherwise

ggmaes?

If you can deal with the genre of roguelikes, I heartily recommend Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. It's basically Zomboid but far more fleshed out and expansive, at least it was compared to the Zomboid I played which was admittedly a year ago.

It's still a roguelike though, so tiles, turn based, lots of text and hotkeys. It takes a long time to get into but there's a lot of freedom and a lot of depth.

Is terraria better played with a controller?
could never really get around the combat

I tried it out a while back and bounced off it, but I'll give it another go
I imagine aiming is harder with a controller, so bosses might take longer

How does Terraria play on mobile? The controls seem to presice to actually build anything.

Controller control is a pile of shit. The game was not designed with a controller in mind, and it shows.

Get Terraria if you want a fun sandbox game with crafting and boss battles
Get Stardew Valley if you want to be a comfy farmer
Get Starbound if you hate yourself

Man, the Apache controls so nice in Terraria.

t. right-brainlet

Its perfectly fine. Just regular controller support. Think of Dont Starve.

There's nothing about Rust that is enjoyable unless you join a large group and even then all your progress can be wiped out just because someone wants to fuck you over for the laugh. There's no pleasure to Rust unless you have a good group of friends to play with.

>$30 on the eShop
bruh

Attached: 1560561643384.jpg (1632x1224, 525K)

They don't have to be. It's just become an oversaturated genre that doesn't really offer anything interesting to work towards.

I just realized that this isn't Terraria. Feel free to roast me.

Buy it and suffer like all the rest.

Attached: 20190713154732_1.jpg (1920x1080, 235K)

I miss Early Starbound.
Never buying early-access ever.