Why did the Dreamcast fail so hard?

Attached: 78DB13CC-CBB0-431E-AB00-6DBBF3CDBBE9.jpg (1600x1031, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

geek.com/news/99-dvd-players-dont-exist-542902/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Normies wanted a DVD player

Because Sony lied about the PS2 to build hype
They said it will have Toy Story graphics
That countries are banning the import of the PS2 because it can be classified as a weapon of war since it can be used to launch missiles
And Ken Kutagari said that you’ll be able to jack into the matrix with it

Quite a few reasons

1. Sega was fucked from the launch of the 32X, Sega CD, and Saturn. They were doing so bad that the CEO of Sega at the time donated his entire earnings to keep the company afloat, and he died shortly after doing that.

2. Internal problems at Sega

3. PS2 had a DVD Player, and normal DVD players at the time cost like $500. Getting a PS2 was just cheaper.

4. Publisher boycotts, like EA refusing support (I thought it was a plus desu)

That's just the tip of the iceberg

>EA refusing support
Is that why the 2K series was created? I had NBA 2K on Dreamcast and it was fun.

it was these + it was the easiest thing to pirate games for ever because someone essentially put "how to crack our system.txt" on the disk of a game in the assumption pirates would find it

Sega Saturn sold better than the N64 though, it wasn’t a failure at all it had the higher sales numbers and the larger library of games
EA refused to support the Dreamcast because they wanted to have an exclusive monopoly on sports games and Sega told them to fuck off
EA has always been the worst company in gaming I’d rather give my money to the Euclidean guys doing that unlimited detail scam

It didn't, it sold pretty well for the brief time it was out. Sega was just too broke for it to matter.

It didn't, it has a solid game library and wasn't tainted with shitty EA games

>Sega Saturn sold better than the N64 though
lol no it didn't

whatever the reason, even sega knew. the demo for shenmue (a game that cost like 50 million dollars to make, outrageous at the time) has a sequence where one of the sega exeutives is sitting there wondering how the hell they're going to make a profit off the dreamcast.

they also made an entire game, segagaga, which was about how the PS2 is completely murdering their market share and how the entire company is on the verge of bankrupcy (it's a buisness sim/jrpg)

Attached: shenmue.jpg (1280x720, 125K)

It was the last real gaming system

The only market that matters is Japan
Europe is completely irrelevant because they only pirate autism simulators on the PC and buy a Sony machine for the latest FIFA game

>only japan matters
delusional, if anything only the US matters

Wrong Japan Canada and Australia
America just censors games and changes the artwork and slaps a higher ESRB rating on it because they dared to show a bum in it
Meanwhile movies like 300 get a 13 rating

Because some UK video magazine got a hold of the crack cd and was unironically selling it in it's magazines by the hundreds of thousand, can't remember it's name. How sega didn't destroy them in court because of that and how they didn't get charged with industrial espionage or some shit i don't know.

EA demanded to be the exclusive sports video game maker for the DC, Sega told them to get fucked and that is after EA reverse engineered the genesis cartridge and threatened sega to release it's protection or whatever to the public in exchange for not paying sega the cut of it's game sales.

>sega genesis in 1988
>"Bring an arcade to your house!"
>lots of arcade ports
>it made sense at the time because arcades were a thing
>sega dreamcast 10 years later
>"Bring an arcade to your house!"
>lots of arcade ports
>didn't made sense at the time because arcades were kill (in the west)
>????
It's not complicated, I really like DC as I'm an arcadefag but I can see why it failed

It may have failed, but fuck did it go out swinging. I don't think there's a single console that has done more in two and a half year lifespan.

Attached: 1550095146430.jpg (1024x768, 206K)

Literally this
Unironically that DVD player brought the retarded movie masses to gaming.

Only correct answer. Dreamcast started to outsell N64 in the US and in Europe it was the #1 selling console of Christmas 2000. It was selling decent they just had no more money.

>and normal DVD players at the time cost like $500

Lmao no they didn't. They existed but thats was not "normal"

>negative public view on Sega's brand
>no EA
>no DVD drive
>$199 price (sold at loss), it was $149 by the time of the PS2 launch (at $299)

Wasn't Shenmue set in the 80's?

Shut the fuck up retard jesus christ you fucks are retarded.

Another thing to consider is that the Dreamcast was significantly weaker than PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube. Many third parties were already snubbing the Gamecube for how weak it was. Sega would have likely had a lot of trouble keeping developers around to design games for their system if they hadn't dropped out.

The Dreacast lacked mass market appeal and its reduced (but great) catalogue appealed mainly to old school arcade fans
A system cant get sucessful without the normies buying in droves the COD, GTA and FIFA equivalents

Man I'd kill for the big three to be SEGA, Sony, and Nintendo. I wonder if they'd still be making arcade-ish games. SEGA games always had this charm and aesthetic to them that no other developer could really capture/replicate. Imagine if PSO2 was more like the original and not the extreme anime bullshit it is

Attached: imageedit_1_8404965508-bicubic.png (256x256, 101K)

>snubbing the GameCube
The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 just the discs sucked
But I remember reading something about the Dreamcast having higher quality textures than the PS2 just they couldn’t show as many polygons

>Another thing to consider is that the Dreamcast was significantly weaker than PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube.

polycount bottleneck aside, it wasn't that much weaker than the PS2, i'd say it's closer to the PS2 than the PS2 is to the Xbox

>Because Sony lied about the PS2 to build hype
this. Sony marketing killed dreamcast, because they pandered to the biggest market, casuals. So most devs just made games for the ps2. Back then most consoles had unique architecture so you needed a dev team for each console. That's why most dreamcast games are arcade ports. The dreamcast itself didn't failed. it has some of the best games in the world, like virtuafighter, powerstone and many more...

It's not just T&L, if you're doing anything that requires a lot of CPU SIMD (e.g. physics) or a lot of pixel blending (e.g. alpha effects) or requires a larger memory footprint (larger levels with more complex interactions) then the PS2 can easily outperform the DC and the GC.

Xbox dominates the whole 6th gen though.

but its true

>the more shit and less known a platform is the better it is
What the actual fuck is with you faggots?

Because Sega couldn't afford to support it after how bad the Saturn failed.

the system itself didn't fail, they just simply ran out of money to continue supporting it because they made shitty business decisions in the past.

Again, retard. Make an actual argument as to why or fuck off.

the dreamcast's failure is all because of things that happened before it even came out.
first, sega pissed off customers with the sega cd and the 32x. fair or not, all the add-ons they kept shitting out for the genesis made them look like greedy pricks.
then, sega pissed off retailers by doing an early surprise launch for the saturn in north america. a few retailers, most notably k-b toys, were so furious at being excluded that they vowed never to stock sega products again. the launch became an even bigger disaster when steve race got on stage at e3 and said "$299."
finally, with the saturn already in shambles, bernie stolar came to soa and destroyed any hope of a recovery by arbitrarily refusing to bring games over. this cemented the saturn as a no-games machine outside of japan.
meanwhile, behind the scenes, sega of japan was running the company into the ground with their stupidity, stubbornness and dysfunction. they ran all the talent out of soa because they were jealous of how much more successful the genesis was in north america compared to japan. the 32x was their idea because they were afraid of the atari jaguar. the early saturn launch was also their idea because they were in panic mode over the ps1 building up momentum in japan.
the dreamcast never had a chance from day one because sega had already made too many idiotic decisions and ruined their brand. it was always treated as their last hurrah before going third party.

Attached: 1547525153291.gif (500x362, 1.29M)

playstation fans are the dumbest...

Sega of America ruined the Saturn because he was a butt hurt seppo who hated RPG’s

This should be the top post everytime this dumb thread gets made instead of "waaaaah the normies didn't want our uktimate video game console!!"

Rent free cunt, where did i mention ANYTHING about PlayStation?

stolar was a big part of the saturn's failure, but it wasn't all his fault. he wasn't there yet when soj forced soa to launch it early.

those posts are mostly from zoomers and console warriors who can't go a single thread without screeching about "snoy." none of them are old enough to have owned a dreamcast back then.

Yeah okay right whatever
Just admit it, the seppos fucked up they were so hell bent on their 32X
And instead of bringing over the great RPG games on the Sega CD they just shit out these stupid movie games

1. Too many half-baked ideas. The Dreamcast was originally going to be closer to what modern-day game consoles are - fancy PCs with full operating systems. Sega backtracked at the last minute on using Windows CE as the DC's OS and so early devs were at a disadvantage since dev tools were rough.

2. Sony's vertical integration was godlike. They could shit out hardware faster, cheaper, and with better software support than anyone else. It was literally impossible to compete with the PS2 on a cost basis since Sony could always offer more features at a lower price due to owning the fully supply chain.

3. Sega didn't know what they were doing. It was probably one of the most grossly mismanaged companies in the industry towards the end of its life.

>Just admit it, the seppos fucked up they were so hell bent on their 32X
It wasn't the burgers who wanted the 32x. Sega of Japan demanded a stopgap console between the Megadrive and the Saturn. The Americans just made it in the least retarded way possible.

Then how come it has ZERO support in Japan?
Seppos always blaming Japan for everything. Like Pearl Harbour even though that was the presidents fault

I liked sega's consoles and games more than nintendo's and the same went for the playstation 1 and 2

>Just admit it, the seppos fucked up they were so hell bent on their 32X
again, the 32x was forced on them by soj because they thought they needed to "respond" to the atari jaguar.
all soa did was talk them into making it an add-on instead of a separate console, which would have been even more retarded.
>And instead of bringing over the great RPG games on the Sega CD they just shit out these stupid movie games
lunar silver star, lunar eternal blue, shining force cd, popful mail, and vay all got released in the west.

It has zero support in Japan because Sega was a bit player in the Japanese market. The 32x was literally dreamt up by Japanese executives who imagined they knew what Burgers and Yuropoors wanted.

>Then how come it has ZERO support in Japan?
it had zero support anywhere because it was a flop.

This is retarded especially if you were around back then. Europe was a very niche PC centered market up until the Playstation, and Fifa was hardly a thing at that time

I know, I have family in Hungary and I went to visit back in the 90’s all they played was shitty pirated PC games
Nobody had an N64 or a PS1 and they were amazed I had a game Boy colour
It was like I was carrying gold
I’m glad I’m not a European

Because Saturn blows and bleeds them dry

You're either a burger who watches too much retroshit youtube or a eurozoomer. The SNES and Megadrive were incredibly popular in Europe.

>Many third parties were already snubbing the Gamecube for how weak it was
It's literally the most powerful next to xbox. There are many games from GC that runs like shit on PS2. I'm not even a nintenbabbies.

That's normal for Sega. Literally everything but the Genesis was a failure, and that was only due to the marketing genius of SoA.

>It's literally the most powerful next to xbox.
It's the most powerful until you need to clip a triangle, sum a vector, transform a polygon or blend an alpha texture.
PS2 and GC both had advantages relative to each other, there's no clear winner between them.

>There are many games from GC that runs like shit on PS2

Like wot

I see. Maybe I forgot but didn't Crtierion devs once said that Burnout 3 wasn't possible in GC?
The most popular examples would be RE4 and Killer 7

too bad nintendo gimped every game on the system with those pointless minidiscs.

depends on the game. I recall certain PS2 games not coming to Gamecube because GC's CPU was too weak, same can be applied to Gamecube games not coming to PS2 because PS2 GPU was too weak.

This. Sony propaganda machine tried to do the same schtick to the Xbox 360 claiming that the 360 was "last gen" and it wasn't "true 1080p console".
It didn't work this time around because J. Allard had a bone to pick with Ken Kutaragi and was successful into getting him (((retired)))

the shenmue demo is a gag thing where ryo is trying to track down some guy from sega instead of lan di

They lost a lot of money with Saturn, Genesis addons, and Gamegear. Then they decided it would be a good idea to fund the most expensive game ever made (Shenmue)

The most popular examples were built as exclusives for the gamecube with gamecube architecture in mind, and then hastily ported to the PS2 the same year they came out. Anyone who thinks a console that could run Silent Hill 3 and MGS3 couldn't run RE4 if it had been built for the PS2 is fucki mng retarded.

>there are anons itt right now wanting SEGA back
The Sega you know and love died a long time ago. Let it go

That's exactly what I'm talking about, Burnout 3 is a game that plays heavily to the advantages of the PS2. You might even say it was designed from the ground up for the console, and that the Xbox competed on brute strength.
But then Resi 4 was also designed for the Gamecube, and you see how that turned out.

It's not the fact that the CPU was weak per se, the CPU itself was actually pretty good stuff.
The big advantage of the Gamecube CPU over the PS2 was a much larger cache. With a small cache you have to program in particular ways or your CPU spends most of its time waiting for memory - with a large cache you have a lot less to worry about.
But the PS2 had a dedicated coprocessor for doing SIMD. SIMD basically means doing a single operation like addition over several pairs of numbers at once rather than just two. The Gamecube CPU could do two pairs at a time - the PS2 with its special coprocessor could do four, potentially leaving the CPU free to do something else at the same time.
Turns out you need solid SIMD support to have good physics.

I'd say the main reason why failed was that it wasn't PS2 and everyone was waiting for massively hyped PS2 at that point. It was going to be so much better at least when it came to specs. It is quite funny that PS2 was bit of bizarro hardware so quite a bit multiplatform games were better on Dreamcast.

PS2 was the most affordable DVD player around at the time and it was a game console at same time. Until then DVD's were something only truly dedicated movie fans had, PS2 was quite elemental in getting the DVD format mainstream over VHS.

>PS2 was the most affordable DVD player around at the time

Wrong.

geek.com/news/99-dvd-players-dont-exist-542902/

my ps2 got easily 100x as much use as a dvd player than as a gaming system as a kid
bless that precious function

Weird, i hardly ever used mine as a DVD player

Little hint. Back then people cared about brands, if one bought DVD player, it was from reputable electronics manufacturers like Sony, Pioneer and so on. Literally who Chink manufacturers didn't have much market penetration or retail sellers in most western countries.

Everything was Japanese, at least in Canada Everyone had a Sony TV I literally never saw any other brand. You had a Sony Walkman, a Sony stereo everything was Sony

>Sega publishes NFL 2K games and sells them at $20 on release
>EA buys up the NFL license to kill 2K instead of lowering the price for Madden or improving its quality

I don't even care for NFL games and that was a sickening move.

Attached: 1378363680215.jpg (819x745, 174K)