When are we going to have a serious discussion about requirements inflation?

When are we going to have a serious discussion about requirements inflation?

Attached: Untitled.jpg (2142x1080, 872K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2NBG-sKFaB0
youtube.com/watch?v=V7lG4bont7g
youtube.com/watch?v=PcYA-H3qpTI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no

Nobody is deliberately inflating requirements. As PC components get more powerful, developers who were never planning on state-of-the-art graphics just use the more powerful technology as an excuse not to optimize. It sucks but it's practically unavoidable. There isn't much to be done about it.

>recommended

that means those are the overkill specs, idiot.

a geforce 9700 would be overkill for those "graphics", developers have just become shit

It's because of engines like Unity and UDK which have a massive overhead that will never get smaller. It's the price game developers have to pay for easy game development.

>overkill
Mate, games like that used to run on Pentium 3 processors, and 256mb of ram.

wut game

lazy unoptimized games need a NASA computer to run, nothing new

Generally its a problem with developers working on overpowered systems and assuming that their shitty game full of memory leaks and uncompressed textures/audio will work on any system.
It's why games developed for platforms like the c64 and vic20 are so impressive. the dev has to consider every single byte as they have a hard limit.

Also worth discussing the fact that devs don't care about how big a game is anymore either, hitman 2 is over 100gb.

looks like xenonauts 2

also have a look at phoenix point but thats epic exclusive

try gears of war 4. over 140gb. shadow of war is 150gb.

>windows 10
no thanks

What are some good modern toaster-core games?
I had fun with underrail and expedition conquistador.

Attached: 1505638696452.jpg (634x247, 21K)

hylics if you don't mind jrpg style combat. it's a fucking trip.

It is hilarious how few modern "developers" even understand how the hardware they're working with actually works. I bet none of those identical meshes are instanced and are all each forcing the GPU to render them on separate draw calls. Combine shit like that with retardedly inefficient shaders, 4K textures and a pile of spaghetti code and you can make a game that looks like ET for the Atari 2600 require a GTX 1080.

Those games also used 2D assets and ran at 800x600.

Does it really matter to you whether it runs at 240FPS or 300FPS?

>Unity
There's your problem. Funnily enough, UE4, even being a much better engine if you want the latest and greatest eyecandy, can run so much better than Unity thanks to A) not being a fucking disaster performance wise and B) being able to run the engine very barebones as long as you aren't a lazy assetflipper who won't touch the sourcecode.

Fuck Unity, always the source of low-end looking games that require a relatively top of the line PC.

ikr, its fucking insane.
moden devs need to look at .kkriger. an entire game in 96k
youtube.com/watch?v=2NBG-sKFaB0
It's entirely because devs aren't compressing textures and audio, no reason a modern game should be over 50gb at the most, if you want to provide people the option to use 4k textures give that as a downloadable option.

kkriger isn't a fair comparison, let's be honest, the game itself just compiles inside of RAM. it's about 300-400MB.

Computers used to be faster when they were slower.
youtube.com/watch?v=V7lG4bont7g

I don't know what's worse: indie devs requiring insane specs for 2D games or retards who obviously don't know anything about how games work spouting shit like "DUUUHHH LAZY DEVS LOOK AT A NEW ZERO"

Attached: 1548995341856.png (485x443, 26K)

Good enough for me.

It is lazy devs. The literal ONLY excuse for this shit is them not being able to afford multiple rigs to test on. And that only applies to indies. And that's FIRST game indies. Xenonauts was an enormous success. Millions and millions of dollars were made from it. You're telling me they didn't learn anything about optimization from their first release? They can't afford new rigs to test on to check their optimization?
Come the fuck on.

That's why it's funny as shit when you get a repack of the game that cuts 50gb from it just by having an option to select what language you want to install the game in. Something the fucking devs who were paid for the shit were too lazy to include.

While we're on the subject of RPGs, any Spiderweb Software game (some are old, some are new, but they all look like they were made circa 1995)

those are ancient and outdated parts.

you could not buy their games. giving them no money always works
Terraria and Starbound.

phoenix point is free
The devs been paid already so they graciously decided to offer the game for free on various torrent sites as soon as its out.
:)

I still blame rockstar for starting the uncompressed audio trend with max payne 3, they literally SAID it was antipiracy. Repacks exist, sure, but they're rarely out immediately, and as long as a game's week 1 is free of too many options for piracy (or it's harder to pirate week 1 vis a vis higher file size) it will see higher sales.
>PIRACY DOESNT HURT SALES
okay humor me then and pretend it does for the purpose of the post. That's the logic they use, so we might as well try to see it from their perspective, wrong or not, when dissecting it.

That's not the only thing, more and more games are made in engines by people who don't have any coding experience which results in incredibly bloated and poorly optimised games

>this one on me lad - tim "free games for gamers" sweeny

jesus christ

I don't think I'd ever buy a game over fifty gigs at the very most. Triple digits is just absurd. It's shocking that devs expect you to dedicate ten percent of one of your HDDs just for their disposable, shit game. Imagine having an SSD where the caps are even lower, lol.

Optimizations are too expensive. why optimize when you can tell the consumer to upgrade the computer.

well the shit in op's image isn't a case of "not optimized", it's flagrant retardation

1TB NVME SSDs are like $300 user, SATA SSDs are even less, and HDDs are dirt cheap.

This, especially since zoomers seem content playing games at 20 FPS

I'm a software developer and I can explain why.

A lot of CS grads only learn the bare minimum: learning the syntax and analytical thinking. They usually use java or python and are rewarded for using already written libraries by other people, since time is important for them. CS is a good foundation if you have never programmed as a hobby, but a game developer should be focused on hiring C/C++ applicants, since those actually have meaningful impact on how well something runs. That's not what happens though. They directly go into game development or even create their own start up game dev company. They can't write their own engine. They have to use one like Unity3D. Unity3D is great for prototyping, but it is very bloated to offer the user the most flexibility and least difficulty. Those people don't even know what LOD or occlusion culling is. They think Unity3D will do that job the most efficiently for them, but it only adds onto the already high hardware requirements that the engine alone needs.

For tripple A and professional software a similiar dilemma appears: Limited time and funds. They want you to use as many libraries as you can to speed up development. Once the product is feature complete you are tasked with just applying bandaids on now almost frequently occuring problems that are only problems because you were told to get it out as fast as possible. No time for overhauls anymore. You *could* rewrite or overhaul it entirely in a good amount of time, but apparently that would cost millions of dollars (which executives will pocket for themselves), eventhough it might only be 3 people working on it.

We're at a point in time where you are not rewarded for programming a clean and efficient software, but rather how fast you are able to put it out - eventhough it will create way more problems further down the line. I would explain how lazy this industry has become through Docker (which makes software even slower), but im at the character limit.

Oh look it's that faggot who always pops up to tell you to spend hundreds of dollars on new shit if your perfectly servicable existing shit is being dwarfed by an unimaginable amount of bloat.

You should be a web developer.

stupid faggot Yea Forumsermin like you

It costs me zero dollars and zero cents not to buy an unoptomized one hundred and fifty gig AAA disaster. I can count the number of games I'd tolerate occupying that kind of hdd retail space on two fucking fingers.

Reminder that Crysis on max settings can run on modern "low-end" hardware at 60 fps but Unity games can't run on medium settings without a state-of-the-art supercomputer.

If your game doesn't look better than Crysis, you have no excuse for not providing a smooth 60 fps experience on even 10 year old hardware.

Attached: 1520929355612.jpg (1131x707, 154K)

Explain docker softwaredevanon

the funny thing is that the patchwork of garbage is slower to develop with than something cleaner and more straightforward

see all these retards claiming it's quick to prototype shit with electron -- it's not, it's faster to use forms. hell, it's faster to programmatically insert stuff into a layout in qt or tcl/tk or fltk or whatever.

modern programmers/devs don't know shit about coding and optimization and the ones who do are smart enough not to work in the video games industry - which is a fucking joke when it comes to payment.

>People upgrading for new releases
>Tfw still running i5-2500k, 970 (I know), and 8gb RAM
>Tfw no problems running anything
Get fucked consumer-cucks

my excuse is I can't program an engine

>Memory: 129 MB RAM

I lol'd

no they are not xD

There are libraries that incorporate the latest hardware-supported instructions and thus becoming a requirement, even if it's not being used by the programmer (SSE, OpenGL, etc).

>but a game developer should be focused on hiring C/C++ applicants
I dont know how things are in the states, but those positions are usually much better paid here (Europe). so they're doing the obvious choice for a business and go with the cheaper hire which will be able to create a minimum viable product. and using unity and all those other premade tools save them considerably time and time=money. if you want them to raise video game quality to professional software level standards, you need to be ready to pay for professional programmers and this means the costs will be rolled over to the consumer (because the execs sure as hell wont give up their bonus)

I'm still rocking a used i5-3550 I bought for like $90, I did upgrade my RAM from 8 to 16gb recently though because I was starting to feel the slowdown on modern games.

the 970 is an amazing card that if it wasn't for its gimped memory(or had 8gb) it could contend with the 1080 as a budget 1440p card

I absolutely fucking hate how shitty and unoptimised games are.
It is ridiculous that a game that looks worse than a 2010 game would require a gpu that you wouldn't dream of in 2010.
It's absolutely wasteful.

Define "modern"?

software is fucking GARBAGE and if every industry were as incompetent as the software industry as a rule, 98% of buildings would collapse and kill the occupants

>I don't play any games so I don't have a problem running anything!
kek, fucking idiot

Devs are fucking lazy. They don't want to optimize anything. File sizes are grossly inflated, games run like ass, and have less content. It won't be long until most games are 100GB+ regularly.

Attached: 1549305867192.png (432x453, 243K)

I'm way more pissed about games that are way too big. When they get so big I can't even bother to play them, just fuck off with that shit

this makes no fucking sense no matter how you twist it. a well optimised game will run on older, shit hardware, highly increasing the number your potential customer base.
Steam for example is full of zoomers who still play on mommy's and daddy's toaster PC from 2012.
if Fortnite required a fucking GTX 970 to run it would have never became the success it is right now because no toddler zoomer could ever afford one.
it's like this user said , most people working in the video game industry right now are skill lacking hacks.
Modern engines like Unity and UE have spoiled indie shitters like never before. It's easier than ever to jump in and start creating shit even with a modicum of expertise because of the libraries, documentation and tools made piss easy to use at their disposal.

>10 years ago
The recommended specs are actually the minimal and the minimal are just what you need for the game to install

>Now
The minimal specs are actually the recommended and the recommended are what you need to play it on dual monitors on 4K at 120 FPS

I play vidya all day, stay mad faggot

I'm on this.

Attached: specs.png (667x521, 38K)

any game over 50gb is a consolized port, so why would I be playing it, except on an emulator? optimization would be worth something if ANY unoptomized game was not shit. fox engine is okay.

>Terraria
has the same problems as Minecraft, it's requirements keep climbing as more content is added and the CPU needs to keep track of more different types of blocks. Once you start stacking mods, especially pairing Calamity with any other sizable content mod, the requirements quickly jump out of toaster-core.

>i5 2500k
>GTX 660 2gb
>12 gb RAM DDR3

The only borderline unplayable game I've experienced so far on those specs is metro exodus, which I had to play on almost minimum settings, and that was on release. Maybe it's patched now.
Modern system requirements are artificially inflated to sell hardware to retards

>tfw lighting and shadows STILL cause massive performance loss
JUST GO BACK TO STENCIL SHADOWS YOU FAGGOTS, THEY LOOK BETTER THAT YOUR BLURRY ASS N64 SOFT SHADOW MAPS

Attached: 1444704920727.png (600x583, 273K)

>if Fortnite required a fucking GTX 970 to run it would have never became the success it is right now because no toddler zoomer could ever afford one.
Most execs would appear to be penny wise, pound stupid. Or maybe they just think anyone that won't pay for new computer parts will just pirate the game anyway, which they will in this case since God knows I'm not downloading 100 gig games and will just get them from a repacker if I really want to play a piece of shit like that.

>recommended specs
this thread is Yea Forums-tier

just buy a new SSD to accommodate 80GB of uncompressed foreign language audio and video & 14GB of engine build artifacts, bro

Attached: specs.png (586x404, 23K)

>game: fallout 2-tier
>recommended specs: the MANIFOLD GODHEAD prototype supercomputer they've got they've got at the pentago tracking civil unrest coordinating US military deployment worldwide teehee
Kiss my ass you fucking pajeet.

>this makes no fucking sense no matter how you twist it. a well optimised game will run on older, shit hardware, highly increasing the number your potential customer base.
by how much? and how much of this potential consumer base will you actually tap? will the revenue from those consumers outweight the costs of optimization?
>Steam for example is full of zoomers who still play on mommy's and daddy's toaster PC from 2012.
and will they buy xenonuants 2?
>if Fortnite required a fucking GTX 970 to run it would have never became the success it is right now because no toddler zoomer could ever afford one.
Fortnite was developed by epic, which is a company with resources and is based on a better engine than the shit that is Unity. meaning its cheaper to optimize.
>it's like this user said , most people working in the video game industry right now are skill lacking hacks.
and I replied saying that hiring people who can optimize is expensive. because people who can write efficient code are usually offered better paying jobs writing "serious" software rather than games. so we are going back to the question of optimization cost vs. benefit.
>Modern engines like Unity and UE have spoiled indie shitters like never before. It's easier than ever to jump in and start creating shit even with a modicum of expertise because of the libraries, documentation and tools made piss easy to use at their disposal.
dont blame it all on the indies. sure they chose to use a shitty engine like Unity, but the developers of Unity are also to blame.

As a recent CS grad dev making their own game in game maker which is annoying me as so much of it was blatently designed for people who can't code and its way more annoying to work with than something like visual studio or atom, although I may just not be used to it yet. Is it really necessary for me to write my own engine and reinvent the wheel as opposed to using something like GM2? At least at the moment it seems to have all the power I need, and as long as I'm careful for things like destroying objects to prevent memory leaks things should work out fine no?

Attached: 1562597523661m.jpg (1024x724, 71K)

gotta laugh when shit like ue4 is touted as being next gen, but you add a dynamic light to the scene and the framerate falls off a cliff, and then you add a second dynamic light to the scene and the framerate becomes almost unplayable. we're regressing back to entirely static lighting because most people only want moviegames.

this
unfortunately the xenonauts developers are completely incompetent when it comes to optimization
the original ran like dogshit because of their engine and they still cant do any better with unity

>by how much? and how much of this potential consumer base will you actually tap? will the revenue from those consumers outweight the costs of optimization?
When the game is THIS unoptomized I really don't see how it couldn't. I've got a good computer but there's no fucking way I'm downloading a triple digit gig game, that's just fucking stupid. We're not asking for hyperoptimization so the game can run on a microwave, just something less farcial than the OP.

really this isn't even a discussion about optimization, just a discussion about being incompetent and retarded

don't need to write assembly or shaders to not write a fucking slow game. in fact to write a game that runs poorly on post-2008 hardware you need to be doing something extra special. "special".

why is x2 looking more and more like a 3d version of the same game with some irrelevant features changed like rocket launchers
fuck sake

>Tfw still running i5-2500k, 970 (I know), and 8gb RAM

Same except I got a GTX 1080 when my old card died. I meant to upgrade the rest of it to match the card but the only issue I've actually had is some loading times that could be shorter. Even if I get more RAM it'll be more for Firefox being a memory hog than vidya

Imagine requiring your customers to have a supercomputer just to render a few sprites hahaha.

Meanwhile, in 2004 you have enemies literally throwing dynamic lights at you.

Attached: doom31.jpg (800x600, 248K)

dont have experience with GM2 specifically so cant be sure but premade game engine will always bring their own "baggage" which will hamper performance. in the case of unity its a huge baggage which is why people shit all over it. reinventing the wheel will almost(and I say almost only because you might write worse code) always be better since you can fine-tune the wheel to what you need exactly but its considerable effort. at the end of the day you need to decide if the gains are worth the effort. it depends on the scale of the game obviously.

really? the weight is whats bothering you? I think the CPU and GPU requirements are the bigger oddity here.

> just a discussion about being incompetent and retarded
frame it however you want. competence costs money and video game companies are in the business of cutting costs to the bare minimum to deliver a minimum viable product and cash in.

GML is pretty good as a stepping stone to C++ though. obviously if you're using drag n drop garbage you won't notice that.

now imagine this same unified shading model and shadow volumes, but this time using physically-based BRDFs and spherical harmonic GI probes.

>frame it however you want. competence costs money and video game companies are in the business of cutting costs to the bare minimum to deliver a minimum viable product and cash in.
Again, you're thinking like the sort of moron that thinks he's getting ahead by stealing the free sweet and lo from the coffee shop with his purchases ie penny smart pound stupid. It is an objective fact that a more technically accessible game will get a wider range of buyers, I really don't see why you're persisting with this line of thought after the fortnite example earlier.

It's true though. Fortnite is the exception that proves the rule because despite fortnite's MASSIVE success companies are still going for ultra realism. Look at blackout, look at apex (okay, stylized realism for that one but it's still more demanding). People respond to better graffix not more stylized options.

Meanwhile, Factorio which is without a doubt far more demanding in CPU power and possibly GPU

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-13_19-31-56.png (490x264, 20K)

>Fortnite is the exception that proves the rule
'The exception that proves the rule' is an expression that's never made any sense. Jesus, you are exhausting to talk to.

daft

I'm not him, keep shitting your pants in anger though.
>never made any sense
AND a brainlet. lmao

That's only part of the problem. The engines also update to support new cards, and focus their optimisation on market average specs. An Unreal 4 game made today would require higher specs than the exact same game made at the launch of the PS4. There's only so much optimising you can do when the engine itself is essentially eating away at the performance of your PC to keep you in the upgrade cycle.

>It is an objective fact that a more technically accessible game will get a wider range of buyers
ah yes, the people who don't have money for better PC parts but somehow have money for video games

>Drag and Drop
Gigalol.

I like game maker aside from opening like a million windows inside a window as opposed to using tabs like what I'm used to from any normal code editor, but that might be my autism. Debugging it was a pain in the ass when going through some tutorials so I can only imagine what it could turn into. Thank God for breakpoints though.

Attached: IMG_20190615_161356_284.jpg (1280x960, 214K)

people *minecraft* respond *terraria* to *fortnite* better *dota 2* graffix

are you're ignoring the fact that competent people will get better offers from other companies and small dev studios cant compete with other companies for those competent programmers. Have you ever looked at the gap between what video games developers wages vs. the wages developers who work on serious software (business/industrial software)? aside from cases where people have genuine passion for video games, the average video game developer is shit and anyone who isn't shit migrates to the better paying jobs.

a game is extremely cheap compared to a gayming rig. even dozens of games are cheaper than that.

>poorfags thinking devs should cater to their toasters
You dumb fucks, you are a tiny minority of those that actually buy the games, go look at Steam's hardware survey. The majority of toasters are due to Russians and third worlders who will just pirate the game anyway. Do you have any idea how much work it takes to optimize a game for your shitty GPU from 2010? You aren't worth it, you don't bring in enough revenue to be worth it.

You're like Linuxfags, who are 0.5% of the players yet generate almost half of the support tickets/threads, yet expect devs to release on Linux.

From this decade.

Extermination camps.

It's always so fascinating to me simpletons like you typically have such misplaced confidence in your own intelligence. Really gonna have to ask you not to talk to me again.

If they paid competitive wages then they'd get competitive programmers, as opposed to idiots with more passion than brains.

a bunch of sprites hahhhAHAHHA you are incompetent

Attached: Untitled.jpg (715x151, 20K)

>PEOPLE THAT CAN CODE ARE LIKE UNICORNS
Any idiot with a basic understanding of computer science can serviceably optimize a game (serviceable meaning at least no absurd debacles like the OP), it literally just takes time to do.

Anything fun on the summer sale?

This, just buy a new PC Jesus Christ it's like 1000bux every 2 years to keep up, it's fucking nothing.

FUCK PRAETORIANS AND FUCK BOMBERS

>whatever i see on screen is the only thing the GPU has to contend with load wise

the absolute state of PC brainlets

you can play pretty much anything made to this day with an kaby lake i3 and a GPU like 1060/amd equivalent. yeah, don't expect GIGA ULTRA NIGGRA quality, 144fps or 1440p resolution, but you don't need a top tier pc to enjoy most games

>DUDE JUST BEND OVER AND TAKE IT LMAO
'No.'

More like 2,5k every 5 years. While I don't like the fact that shit is unoptimized and bloated there really isn't any reason why a person wouldn't be able to upgrade 2 times per decade since it would only cost you 500 per year or under 50 a month.

ah yes they're mining bitcoin

Sure does suck that we never got another X-Com or Jagged Alliance game. Just nuCOM board game trash.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 123K)

how about no and fuck off and fuck off again

Two problems
A)Indie devs usually dont have the money to pay competitive wages
B)ignoring A, lets imagine they can somehow pay competitive wages. this means costs are up, what do you think will follow? they'll burn through whatever budget they have faster forcing them to release it faster making things worse because now you have a rushed, buggy and unoptimized game because they didnt have time to do it.

I never said they're rare. but why would someone who is a competent coder settle for a video game programming job when he can earn more in the business software company?

Bait harder

Attached: 1537569884652.png (321x326, 116K)

Hope sucks, doesn't it? Hoped with whatever THQ had teased.. and then it got spat in our faces.

t.seething third worlder

ok

shit rules

you win

fucking love shit, simple as

>xpiratez
welp, guess I'm starting another playthrough

Why? At least present a real argument beyond spamming "no, no, fuck off". I can understand the frustration if you live in a third world shit hole but if you're just seething about ~50 shekels a month for no reason you're either unemployed or autistic.

Attached: japanese shiggy.png (382x346, 169K)

The problem, as always, is raging capitalism and the desire to sell, sell, sell sell, sell and keep selling 24/7 no matter what.
You get dozens of CPU and GPU per year with little to no increments in technology and general potency. That way you see small but cumulative increments in the technology needed to run games that turns your gear obsolete far before it should.
It would be cool if they released new stuff when they actually had new stuff to release, new technology or, at least, a considerable increment in the speed or processing capacity.
The PC tech race is getting out of hand.

Now I gotta agree as well with the lack of optimization. The same desire to make money for yesterday makes these companies release half-assed games or ports that rely on the crazy potency of computers nowadays to work properly.
I got my first master race a few years back and then I realized how fucked up the industry is. When you have a high-end build and you still get games that don't work as smooth as they should you begin to realize that lack of optimization is actually a big problem.

Indies are going a bit against this tendency though, and I hope we begin to focus in good games instead of just cheap, commercial stuff. But it's what we got when videogames became popular.

And I, though is morally questionable, I can't really blame companies for wanting to make money and to abuse the consumer as much as they can. It's a shitty practice, sure, but they only got so far because people keep buying shit and paying top dollar for short, half-assed games that lack content and turn into a complete game after a thousand patches and DLC.
Do you want to stop this? then stop giving your money to the devs who don't deserve it. Hell, just look at Konami and you'll see how much they care about actually making something good. You can always pirate a game if you really need to play something yet you think the company is shit. There are a lot of people making games nowadays anyway.

Is that sleeping Pepe on the bottom?

hang yourself for excusing this shit

>dude just pay fifty dollars a month on top of the cost of the game and your internet connection
Or you could buy a console every ten years and play all the games PC gets. Stop defending the absolute state of the petition contraption scene right now, shit sucks fucking ass.

I wish they stuck with 2d graphics

So go do that, poorfag, nobody will miss you, I'm sure a console fits you perfectly.

>basic understanding of computer science
See now you are assuming most developers have any understanding of computer science when in reality they only have an understanding of programming languages. It is not enough to understand how to do something you need to understand what exactly it is the computer is doing to accomplish what you're telling it to do, otherwise optimization is practically impossible because you can't identify the reason for the performance loss unless it is directly apparent in your program logic. Try talking to your average developer about cache misses and see if they know what the fuck you're even talking about. You need to remember that your typical developer went to a third rate school and probably only really learned Java and Python and maybe high-level C++, or they're a web developer. Developers aren't rare but good developers actually are, and a firm that values good developers and lets them fully utilize their skills is even more rare, so most good developers are trapped in shit firms that only care about deadlines anyway.

Programming isn't what it used to be in the '90s, you don't need to know computer science to be a developer anymore.

>PC port of a 7 year old console game
>50gbs, needs a NASA supercomputer to run at 144fps

>you could not buy their games. giving them no money always works

Good luck telling that to the masses

>tfw 1080
>i5-6600k oc'd to 4.5ghz
>16GB RAM

Feels good lasting the next decade or two

Thanks, I intend to now that Win7 is reaching end of life. Enjoy being a consumer whore, faggot, hopefully they at least use lube.

Hang yourself for not providing any real arguments. I played most games just fine on medium~ish settings for many years on a gtx 750 until I finally decided to build a new computer and buy new accessories in 2018. I paid like 2450 or so and I had been using the old setup for well over 5 years so I'd say it was well worth it considering that most normies probably waste the same amount of money on smokes and drinks yearly.

Seething over the fact that you can't run every new release on ultra just because you're not able to save the bare fucking minimum of 50 (+25-30 for internet) every month is just ridiculous.

Consoles were only really worth it when the wii, xbox 360 and ps3 had dropped their price. I guess they're somewhat excusable if you use them as glorified blu-ray machines and get games for cheap.

what do you think xenonauts is?

Attached: 1372427757822.jpg (320x304, 19K)

>wahh I can't run this game on my shitbox from 2008

Imagine having less than 8 gigs of ram in 20fucking19, what kind of third-world retard even made this thread?

I am more asshurt about 20 gigs of space

>waaah players are complaining about my game that looks like it was made in 1994 not being able to run on anything but a supercomputer

Anyone else think it's interesting that the worse PC gaming gets, the more delusional and defensive PCfags get? They're starting to remind me of Nintendo fanboys. I guess they're not all the way there yet, since OP did make this thread and he's a pcfag. Nintyniggers aren't capable of that kind of reflection.

>no psionics
>one base only
It's shit.

>defensive
I am seeing nothing but scathing criticism for shitty devs and unoptimized games ITT, what are you even talking about?

It's not the storage requirement size, it's how much action you cram into it.

Attached: EarthDefenseForce5_Review_01.jpg (1920x1080, 593K)

>>one base only
this is just a flat out lie

Look at all the fags on mommy and daddy's computer screaming about how if you're not okay buying a 970 to play Fallout 2 you're a poor thirdworlder or whatever.

If you are not bending over to corporate dick then you are delusional and defensive of your dying platform, didnt you get the memo?

>xenonauts
>x-com

Which one should i play lads? Mods are welcome too

shut up, nerd

this isn't what inflation means

xenonauts if only because the graphics in battles are alot easier to read for a first timer

openxcom, and either xfiles or xpiratez

>>one base only
they actually changed it since it was voted out by the community

>calls others consumer whores
>will buy a fucking console
OH NO NO NO

Attached: 1532004577745.jpg (330x319, 48K)

pc gaming gets better and better.

'Member a time when people would laugh if you even suggested PS or XBOX only games like Heavy Rain and Halo games would come to PC?

those times are over

Thanks to jokes like the OP it's legit a better value nowadays.

>no psionics
Did "the community" vote that out also or is it like the first game where the polls were obviously rigged?

What do they offer?

Cave Story

kys luke

tits

When the fuck is this game coming out?
It was supposed to be late 2018.

So, how much can Unity or Unreal be optimized? What choice does an indie or hobby dev have, besides taking years to make their own engine?

none.
either "optimize" the game for months/years with crunch time and no vacation or just use existing engines/libraries and bullshit your way to success.

worked for the last 20 years

Have talent and be a professional or admit you're just an amateur and are just having fun.

>Steam's hardware survey.
>look it up
>70% use wangblows 10
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING

>>no psionics
>the game HAS to be exactly like X-COM RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Fuck off, it's already held back enough due to having to please autistic retards like you in other regards.

DirectX12

Directshits12 if you have to use wangblows 10 for it.

A fair bit, depends how far you want to go, not really worth spending too much time on optimization due to greatly diminishing returns.

I'm honestly worried about availability of older games when everyone moves on to new shinny shit toys and hardware doesn't support software and vice versa.

While I don't imagine most of those 70% use it, LTSC is massively superior to any Win7 or 8.1.

Optimization requires money. Low-budget games lack money. What a surprise! Nobody cares as long as it is stable on an average consumer's PC.

The newer Shadowrun RPGs provide a lot of content and will run on a toaster. There's a bunch of user created campaigns of various levels of quality and the two newer games have great campaigns.

Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats run on garbage hardware. As does Dead State which is on the same engine.

Project Zomboid is another zombie game that runs on garbage hardware.

Neo Scavenger is fun for a few days.

Into The Breach and FTL are obvious choices.

ATOM RPG is a brilliant modern take on the original Fallout games kind of gameplay and atmosphere but set in Russia and made by Russians, so obviously it'll run on an absolute toaster.

X-Com EW is great fun with or without mods and runs on anything.

then go play those games

And gameplay wise?

it's sad that xenoblade doesn't come with japanese voice anymore

Yeah, that's why I just play new indies and play more taxing games later. Basically, lagging behind the hardware but getting it cheaper.

It's a valid expression, people just misuse it all the time. The stated fact (Fortnite's success) does not provide evidence that the stated rule (games need realistic graphics to be successful) is true, so the user you're replying to is indeed using the expression incorrectly.

Modernize HUD and double triangle count on the player's weapon and it can be AAA game on current gen.

It's already a problem, some older games on GoG simply don't work on modern hardware without third-party hacks (if they exist). Thankfully we can run DOS games in a virtual machine for near perfect compatibility but for early Windows games it's not nearly that simple and the problem will only continue to grow as Khronos Group moves to Vulkan and OpenGL is deprecated. They say there will be a compatibility layer but I doubt it will be flawless.

Attached: Hx8VpW6.png (1543x6892, 1.67M)

>They say there will be a compatibility layer but I doubt it will be flawless.
I hope so. Otherwise best hope they make retro parts?

You mean held back enough by incompetent devs who can't make a good game to save their life and have stripped away modding ability despite mods being the only thing that made the first Xenofarts game playable?

Or did "the community" rally together and "vote" for mods to be supported in Xenofarts 2?

x-piratez looks like a gay bloat mod for retards

Read or die, faggot.

Attached: 250px-Bpedia.png (250x219, 73K)

>having fun
i also never worked a stable 40 hours a week job user

This but unironically.

You're the hobby dev bitching he can't make AA games in his spare time. Maybe git gud faggot.

The problem would be that this logic doesn't work anymore. You can easily pirate a 50gb game now. People just upload them to google drive.

>When are we going to have a serious discussion about low skill immigrant inflation?

>no more optimized engines
>no more compressed textures
>no more FMV sequences
>no more performance modes
>no more downscaling mods
It's all so tiresome.

>they literally SAID it was antipiracy
It's also anti-mebuyingthatshit, so have at you kikestar.

GZDoom had troubles running on my OC'd R1600 and GTX1060OC on some maps
That being said nice list, it's missing some remasteried Doom1/2 map packs though, I tried Doom One but it's actually pretty shit

crysis is special

>Reminder that Crysis on max settings can run on modern "low-end" hardware at 60 fps
Reminder that you're a fucking liar
youtube.com/watch?v=PcYA-H3qpTI

oh so Xenonauts 2, another bland xcom remake that doesn't improve on any aspects of the original in any way shape or form.

*BUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPP*

but it has suppression and an actual air game now, how is that not an improvement on the original aspects?

Devs don't give a shit about pc, they will optimize stuff for 2011 hardware for 8 years but for pc you always need to keep updating your machine to play games

>x-piratez
wish they removed the anime art and replaced it with western/european art and sold it on gog.

>an actual air game
wow the worst aspect :O
amazing!

Attached: 1441214546549.jpg (800x800, 92K)

Lot of the art are just placeholders. I don't think there's an artist actually working on the bootypedia images, just the paperdolls and units and whatnot.

I guess they should just remove it entirely like xcom2 then, huh?

Is that why UE4 games run so shit on low-CPU computers, because their dynamic lighting is shit?

Remember there's no mod support in Xenofarts 2 so the mods that made the air combat fun in Xenofarts 1 won't be a thing anymore unless the devs ripped them off.

what was actually wrong with the air game in xenonauts 1? I thought it was pretty good.

I can never tell if you're an autistic X-COM equivalent to Doom purists who blow a gasket at the mention of Brutal Doom, or a NuComfag. I can somewhat respect the former, if you are the latter though please blow your brains out as soon as possible, or just go back to r/gaming.

It wasn't great but it was a lot better than the air game in any other X-COM clone I've played, and I'm pretty sure I've played them all.

The developers use TOOLS to deliver on the product. The developers of said tools are in charge of the optimization, since it's most likely proprietary tech anyway.

Attached: 1561708183963.jpg (990x682, 49K)

it doesn't work that way. those toolsets come with their own overhead you cant design it any other way. you can split it into many smaller toolsets to try and minimize the overhead but it makes developing harder and a bad developer will just import everything which will actually make things worse. Also those tools need to be general enough to work for a variety of games no its not really fine tuned to the specific task. basically its a jack of all trades master of none - the tools let you do lots of things, but none of which are professional level.

Brutal Doom is a mod of Doom. That's all it is. If nuCOM was just a mod for Open X-Com, that'd be fine. It's not, instead it's an indicator that any meaningful turn based strategy games in that vein will not exist for a long time apart from user mods for Jagged Alliance and Open X-Com. The best TBS we've had in recent memory is pic related.

Attached: Battle-Brothers-Free-Download.jpg (670x384, 38K)

>doesn't work that way
>proceeds to describe the exact same situation
FUCK YOU Xenonaut 2 devs don't develop Unity

>hurr u hate nuCOM becuz it's hard
Only people who say it's hard are people playing it wrong. It's a board game, that's all it is. Play it like fucking Carcassone and you'll win every game. That's why Xenofarts 2 is gonna be shit and why Phoenix Point is shit. They all cater to nuCOM shitters.

Attached: gotgudlongago.png (1025x651, 127K)

what is the point of xenonauts 2

BB was garbage

I found it to be a nifty game (though it forces to adapt certain strategies when game would be more fun if you just had more units per battle) that suffers from not being moddable enough.

the ones paying the price are the users though

katana zero

Attached: kz.0.jpg (1200x800, 445K)

Sequel fucking when

For indie devs it's usually not that those are recommended but that is the only computer they have to test things on.

When they make a good game. It's Hotline Miami but worse in every possible way.

>use the more powerful technology as an excuse not to optimize
Yup, it fucking sucks. Same shit happened with storage. Once upon a time, people cared about conserving storage space and optimizing compression. Then one day hard drives and disc media got big enough that everyone said "Fuck it, let's just allow every game to be 100GB" and stopped giving a single shit about respecting the user's storage space (or internet bandwidth, for that matter, in the case of digital games) and not every game is bloated to hell and back, which also feeds back into the hardware optimization because all that bloated inefficiency makes the game run worse overall, too.

Prey.
The new one.

Stop buying games made by incompetent code monkeys.
No it you moron, the game in the OP looks like a 2006 game. The developer just sucks.

Only sane and right person in this whole thread. As I would not agree with all of points regarding writting the code itself (truste, there are some quality checks here and there) I want to give a high five to fellow bro in programming.

Keep the good work.

You are the problem of this system.

Without people like you, human race under capitalism would be great or at least move on to better system.

>What choice does an indie or hobby dev have
Godot.

I mean, the only game I have bought and play regularly is Escape from Tarkov. I bought the Standard edition and although the game is sometimes cancer, I still enjoy it immensely.

I would not fucking buy a single player piece of shit game with day 1 DLC lmao.

>Unity.jpg

Meh I think I have put about 1300-1500 into my PC over the course of 8 years and that's for mid range gaming 2600K paired with a 560TI initially and replaced with a reference RX 480 bought on launch day. Had a single drive failure over it's life. Got another LGA 1155 board as backup for free from salvage fixing other peoples computers as well as several Sandy Bridge CPU's. If you aim for higher mid range on entry it's not hard to coast. Chasing frames always cost way more than it's worth.

I hate this. Would it kill the developers to make things like 4K textures and uncompressed audio to be optional parts of installation?

nice, tsukasa jun is a master

Attached: Tsukasa_Jun053.jpg (2148x3496, 3.89M)

Bullshit. You need a pc that's at least 4 years old to play that at 60.
-t. 5 year old pc can't get 60 fps in Prey

xenonauts 2 eh? consider me interested

Attached: 1560817326979.jpg (640x640, 38K)

Is Nioh one of the worst offenders regarding HDD space? I like the game but fuck, it looks like 20GB game max not fucking 80GB

I just want you to know that I appreciate this post. Even the spelling mistakes and repeated words.

Why? Because somethings just need to be said.

Let's be fair though, Doom 3 had some problems related to performance when it came out. Especially on Radeon cards.