No direct sequel to a Zelda game has ever featured Ganon as the main villain...

No direct sequel to a Zelda game has ever featured Ganon as the main villain, and most don't reuse Hyrule as the setting.

Why break that tradition now?

Attached: screenshot_4.png (1460x819, 1.16M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gameinformer.com/e3-2019/2019/06/11/breath-of-the-wilds-director-is-returning-for-the-sequel
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>most don't reuse Hyrule as the setting.
I don't think this one will
Either the floating castle transports them elsewhere or the game is set fully underground

Link Between Worlds has both Hyrule and Lorule.

Aren't Majora's Mask and Link Between Worlds the only direct sequels? That's not much of a pattern.

>hurr durr trailer happens in a cave therefore all the game takes place in a cave
You are clinically retarded.

wasnt zelda 2 that main villian?

Majora’s Mask and the Toon Link game’s on DS

Zelda 2 is direct sequel to Zelda 1

>I made up a pattern in my head

Attached: 1557685858413.jpg (304x368, 56K)

Botw isn't like other Zelda games and it's the most successful

Things change grampa

gameinformer.com/e3-2019/2019/06/11/breath-of-the-wilds-director-is-returning-for-the-sequel
>One of the reasons we wanted to create a continuation was because I wanted to revisit that Hyrule again and use that world again, while incorporating new gameplay and new story

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 16K)

>BotW's gimmick is to break Zelda traditions
>why break traditions on the sequel????!!
Besides theres like 3-4 direct sequels in the series, hardly a tradition.

Zelda 2, Link's Awakening, Majoras Mask, Link Between Worlds, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks

the real answer is they spent way too much time and money on the new mechanics and design so instead of tossing that giant world (that still has tonsof dead area not counting korok seeds) away they just work with it to release another million seller

>we're breaking tradition by once again featuring Gannon, Zelda, and Hyrule

Attached: 1029318321.png (621x702, 56K)

I hope they dont reuse the same map, we already know where everything is and unless some temples raise from the underground there's nothing else to see in there, sequel takes place a couple months after, so no rebuilt kingdom either.

Because they spent so much time on building the world and engine they forgot to put actual meaty coherent content in and create an actual game instead of a tech demo. Now they have a chance to do so in the sequel.

Attached: korok turds.jpg (1280x720, 149K)

Dang, there's a lot more than I thought.

>the series is only about the Triforce conflict, therefore nothing has changed from previous installments, everything is the exact same as it always has, yep, same gameplay, same progression, same linearity. Yep I unironically can't see changes anywhere thus you're retarded, here's an epic reddit wojak

Depends on what you mean by "direct".

The games in the series so far which are direct sequels in the sense of "the continuing adventures of the Link from the previous game" are Zelda 2, LA, MM, PH and TFH, all of which really do take place in different environs from the first game. ST and ALBW are direct sequels in the sense that they happen after PH and LA, but there's a century+ gap between them and they star different Links.

I hope they don't fuck it up
I am optimistic for genshin impact but that I could easily see it having greedy monitisation so I would love for botw 2 to be botw except good as a backup if genshin sucks

Zelda 2 is direct sequel to Zelda 1
Link's Awakening is direct sequel to A Link To The Past
Oracle of Ages is a direct sequel to Oracle of Seasons
Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time
Windwaker is kind of a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time
Twilight Princess is kind of a direct sequel to Majora's Mask
Skyward Sword is a prequel to the whole series
Minish Cap is a prequel to series after Skyward Sword
Four Swords is sequel to Minish Cap
Phantom Hourglass is direct sequel to Windwaker
Spirit Tracks is direct sequel to Phantom Hourglass (with different Link)
A Link Between Worlds is direct sequel to A Link To The Past (with different Link)

Breath Of The Wild is a sequel to Twilight Princess

BOTW is a sequel to the whole series. The king straight up tells you that Hyrule has tons of "legends" of past heroes, implying that the rest of the series pre-BOTW is made up of pseudohistorical legends made up equal parts of fact and fiction (i.e. some version of the events of every game happened, but not necessarily the version we played).

So it's basically a meta-reboot

By direct sequel it mean they star the same Link as MC, a 1000 year gap with a complete different setting is not a direct sequel.

This is the new Zelda.

They invested so much into BOTW that they don't want to throw it out and make something all new for seven years from now.

Timeline shit is absolutely not canon. There was no plan or need for a timeline, Nintendo just gave in to autism.

So what your saying is BOTW is the only canon game and all the rest are potentially lies

I'd argue that Ganon is still technically the main villain in Zelda 2

this
and this BOTW was only a tech demo. They're not just going to throw away all these assets they worked so long on.

Nothing to do with timelines but Zelda 2 is very obviously a direct sequel to Zelda 1.

It wouldn't be surprising.

They're really going to have to spice up and limit the map to make it work. Climbing and stamina were poorly implemented.

It's been pretty obvious for a long time that the timeline where each game fits was only meant to be loosely connected but Zelda autists combined with Nintendo pandering has opened a Pandora's box when it comes to this debate. I do feel BotW closed that chapter behind with it's new direction but I have no doubt the Zelda autists will get upset, Nintendo will pander again and fuck up everything again.

Attached: 1546834614047.jpg (735x1088, 166K)

>Zelda 2 is direct sequel to Zelda 1
yes, but the map is obviously not reused
>Link's Awakening is direct sequel to A Link To The Past
yes but different setting
>Oracle of Ages is a direct sequel to Oracle of Seasons
didn't play
>Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time
yes but different setting
>Windwaker is kind of a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time
different link and setting
>Twilight Princess is kind of a direct sequel to Majora's Mask
different link and setting
>Skyward Sword is a prequel to the whole series
not wrong, but different link and setting
>Minish Cap is a prequel to series after Skyward Sword
didn't play
>Four Swords is sequel to Minish Cap
didn't play
>Phantom Hourglass is direct sequel to Windwaker
played a little but dropped it so i don't know, but different setting at least
>Spirit Tracks is direct sequel to Phantom Hourglass (with different Link)
didn't play
>A Link Between Worlds is direct sequel to A Link To The Past (with different Link)
different link like you said
>Breath Of The Wild is a sequel to Twilight Princess
different link, different setting

They're all prequels or sequels, the thread is about direct sequels. The closest you get is arguably ALBW, but that's only a direct sequel in spirit. It's not the same Link and not a direct continuation of ALttP's story.

As far as BotW 2 using the same map, I'm on the fence until we learn more.

Isnt zelda 1 set in part of zelda 2s map or something

>They're all prequels or sequels, the thread is about direct sequels.
>agrees that first two are direct sequels

Attached: 23239742983723.jpg (362x346, 13K)

This is like the third time they've tried to reboot the series and get rid of cruft and fuckery. I won't believe it worked until the next game off where all the staples of the series are nowhere to be seen. I mean like dying earth levels of change between games.

He means direct sequel in same land

"tradition", or "coincidence"?
It only really happened previously because Ganon was already defeated for that Link, this time they seem to be making out that the Calamity was just a byproduct of Ganon's existence. Also you could argue that Ganon was the main villain of Zelda 2 even if you never fight him.

80% of the quoted post claimed games were direct sequels that weren't.

I mean, do we actually know that Ganon is the main villain in BotW 2? I wouldn't make that assumption based on a 30 second trailer.

I don't remember, but what I mean is that even if they're both Hyrule, they are vastly different games. Zelda 2 wasn't just "Zelda 1 but more."

It claimed 7 games were direct sequels and only 3 of those claimed were not. Your math is incorrect user.

>and only 3
my bad, meant 2.

Do you think a Zelda game will ever give you the option of character creation?

The CDI trilogy is in the same world iirc

I threw a number out, don't argue semantics. But regardless, in the context of the thread, none of them have been direct sequels that ALSO used the same map. Yes there are direct sequels, none of them have reused the world space.

>why break tradition?
Because they want to reuse assets and the general "theme" of BOTW. Notice how every zelda game or "mini-series" has its own distinct visual style, they don't want to go to the trouble of making a new one for a conpletely new game.

>spoiler
what if best girl is in BOTW2?

Ganondorf was only in 3 games.

OOT
WW
TP

>yes, but the map is obviously not reused
the whole Zelda1 area is in Zelda 2's map, it just look really tiny in comparison because zelda 2 is unironically HUGE AS FUCK

>nintendo fans literally demand rehashes
oh no no

t. Isaiah Triforce Johnson.

>I threw a number out, don't argue semantics
I wasn't, I was arguing mathematics.

>something happens twice
>unga bunga pattern

Are you autistic? No normal person would assume I did actual math for that. Just throwing out an arbitrary high-ish number.

>Spend hours making your character
>As soon as you get the Triforce of Courage you turn into normal looking Link akin to the scene in WW

>Are you autistic?
Probably but that has nothing do with the fact that I wasn't arguing semantics.

>>Spend hours making your character
>>As soon as you get the Triforce of Courage you turn into normal looking Link akin to the scene in WW
I was thinking more of a MGSV scenario without the brainwashing. You temporarily get Hylia's blessing and defeat an evil guy that isn't Ganon.

I could picture this for a sideline title like Triforce Heroes

I'd like to think that too, but they will probably reuse the map. All I hope for is the changes they make to it are significant enough.

That'd be more than fine too.

How do the xenoblade developers design cave systems? They designed the overworld for BotW, after all.

Dark World. Or just adding content everywhere and moving some things around.

link between worlds isnt a direct sequel
>zelda 2
>oracle games
>majora's mask
>link's awakening
>phantom hourglass
>spirit tracks

>tradition
A word used only to excuse and defend degeneracy, often by spergs that despise change.

Fresh new experiences are the lifeblood of long-running series. Stop holding the same mentality of Ganondorf in Wind Waker and let a new generation of zelda games expand their horizons.

Change is inevitable in zelda games and they will never cater to your stagnant, autismal tastes that are forever bound to the rotting corpse of the past.

But in this scenario, it's breaking the tradition of not doing something wildly different.

Nintendo is loathe to hire gamers for this exact reason- they're stuck in the past and just want to regurgitate it by making new games more of the same. They even explicitly stated this hiring policy in interviews.

Don't count on Nintendies to stick to those precious traditions, Nincel

You don't know what they're doing with this scenario. You're just making assumptions and talking out of your ass.

>You don't know what they're doing with this scenario. You're just making assumptions and talking out of your ass.
I was referring to the scenario that the OP was stating. Though I think its a pretty safe bet to assume that Ganondorf is still the villian and that it still takes place in the same setting.