Controller Thread

Does it really matter where the thumbstick is anyway?

Attached: DEAB631F-6B81-40E2-AAAE-EB4ADF3D5BD1.jpg (3024x4032, 2.42M)

It's just a matter of preference and getting used to it.

Dualshock is the best thumbstick position because symmetry

sex

Switch Pro worth getting for use with PC?

For me, it depends on the overall shape of the controller and the height of the analog stick. If it’s a thicker controller I prefer the analog layout to be similar to the Dualshock. If it’s thinner/smaller, having it switch places with the dpad is fine, if the dpad is easy for my thumb to reach in its new position.

I wish the DS4 had better support on PC

Why not just get an Xbox where you can plug in the controller and play any game that supports controllers?

>I wish the DS4 had better support on PC
It works seamlessly with Steam and you can just use DS4Windows for everything else, which amounts to starting a single program.
It's no where at the level of fuckery you had to go through for a DS3. Jesus Christ.

I prefer the Xbox layout cause the most important things are in a more comfortable position for me

This.
I’ve used a ds4 for about about 5 years on PC. The only issue that has ever happened is when a game kind of supports the DS4, and you need to run DS4WIndows exclusively which used to be tricky as you needed to close basically any app. Also, sometimes after closing DS4WIndows to play a Steam game, the controller stops working and you need to unplug it. Okay, now that I think about it, it’s nice that my Xbox controller is on the way.

I used to use a 360, what kind of shit did you have to do to get the DS3 to work?

I'm lazy and I hate mapping buttons everytime I play a new steam game

You clearly have never used a ds4 on PC because there are only a few games where the default config is retarded and you need to change it to the default Xbox one instead of the “official developer-made config”.

Only If you're going to shove it in your ass

How does it feel up your ass?

>there are only a few games where the default config is retarded
I'm pretty sure I played all those then

It does matter. I don't care whether it's symmetrical or not but it needs to be comfortable to operate.

What I don't understand is fucking Nintendo and why it turns up in these threads, the ergonomy is so bad it's actively annoying me whenever I'm playing on an official Nintendo controller, though I've only owned 3DS, Wii U and Switch along with the pro controllers. I just fucking hate them with a burning passion. It always gets uncomfortable and clammy and even after you start slowly getting over it your wrists and finger joints still start aching if you ever play for more than a couple of hours. Fuck Nintendo.

I thought I was done but seriously fuck them, HD rumble feels shrill and terrible, like nails on chalkboard, and the controllers are way too fucking expensive for what they are, I don't need a fucking toy scanner inside my controller, jesus

I bought a Xbone controller for the PC and I'm incredibly happy with it, comfiest controller I've used. I don't understand why I need to buy batteries in 2019 and the left bumper is getting mushy but at least it's not giving me arthritis

Tier list:
That stupidly expensive XBOX Controller>XBONE>Dualshock 4>XBOX360>logitech shit>Dualshock 3

Attached: gm_xboxcw_liquidblk_otherviews01.jpg (1387x453, 109K)

The best controller is the switch pro.

The human body is not symmetrical though. Theres left/right hand dominance.

YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKING BRAINLET

if you just want it to behave as a 360 controller with all the problems and issues that 360 controllers have, just use the default DS4Windows profile. it's as simple as that.

the whole fucking point of ds4windows is that you can rebind axes and buttons per-game and sidestep all the problems that 360 controllers have. fucking APPLY YOURSELF user jesus christ

>2019
>still using digital shoulder buttons

No thanks. The Xbone has real buttons and also has a decent D pad.

The big xbone or the small xbone?

My xbone, which is big 4 u.

So not the elite one.

Theres only one size

lower thumbsticks are objectively better design because you can claw grip

>starting a single program
It can auto launch upon booting your pc :)

>the level of fuckery you had to go through for a DS3
The sheer amount of hours I've wasted for this shit, DS4windows felt like the second coming of the Christ after that.

No, as long as the sticks are placed symmetrically.

The 360 controller was literally perfect. They only made slight changes to the controller for the xbone because they knew any change would be for the worse, and it was- basically damage control because they can’t just rerelease the controller. Making it more angular and rigid was an obvious downgrade but what else could they do

I'm often tempted to buy a Xbox controller too but I don't want to lose DS4windows options. I fixed a broken joystick by adjusting the sensitivity, I can make it so the controller emulates a keyboard, I've crafted lots of profiles for specific games and I'm afraid I couldn't do all of that with an xbox controller.

unironically love this controller

Attached: 51SAAYYMB9L._SX342_.jpg (342x342, 17K)

I just recently started playing EDF 5 with the DS4. After about an hour my right hand starts to cramp. Tried out the switch pro controller and can use it for 5 hours

They could’ve easily re-released it. If sony got away with doing it with the DualShock 2, Microsoft could as well.

Symmetrical analog sticks are superior.

Attached: 20190503_201359.jpg (1066x1066, 791K)

too bad its made for jap hands

So that explains why Xbox retards have one thumb and one stump.

Attached: xbox hands.jpg (551x446, 57K)

>literal nintenbabby is so underdeveloped he can't even use a controller
holy shit

Not really, it doesnt really make any real difference. That being said, it baffles me why people think xbox controllers are more comfortable than ps4 controllers. Your hands are symmetrical, why the fuck wouldnt you make the thumbsticks symmetrical too?

kek

I don't think about the design of the controller when im trying to play a game, it just feels more comfortable to me

Xbox One>Chink Switch Pro>PS4=8bitdo>JoyCon

Attached: baaaa.jpg (2064x2752, 1.22M)

Yeah like i said, doesnt really make any difference, i can play with xbox controllers without it feeling any different, but i am baffled that the designers decided to make an asymmetrical design for symmetrical hands. Weird shit

I used a Xbone one for ~4 years before the RB broke and then I got myself a ds4. The sticks really don't matter at all. I think I prefer the ds4 just because the triggers sit better.

didn't mean to quote there

DS4 is great, I use it on my PC.
It's also wireless and you can connect your headphones to it making them kinda wireless too when you want to play PC games on TV.
The only downside is the light bar.

That light bar is such a dissapointment, since my only complaint about the DS4 is its fairly low maximum charge time, that shitty light bar isnt helping. You can turn down the brightness, but not turn it off

I tried using my Xbone controller after a year of inaction and the PC doesn't detect it at all anymore. I think it's some Windows thing. idk how to get my PC to update the gamepad drivers when it can't even detect the thing being plugged in as a gamepad. All the guides assume if your gamepad doesn't work on your PC that the PC can still somehow detect what it is. Fuck.

Does anyone here has Hori Onyx? I'm not a big fan of DS4 so I want to try a different controller for my PS4.

Why would someone not mad and not retarded want to use such a controller?

I needed a brook superconverter to use ds3/ds4 on my ps2 and as a pleasant suprise the thing can also let you use them with your pc as if they were xbox controllers

>2019
>still using dual stick garbage
Fucking simpletons.

Attached: 9hq.jpg (500x500, 60K)

lets see how you do in fighting games with that garbage

I hate so much about the ps4 controller coming from the 360

shoulda got padstarr it does all that with any controller

*binds all combos to a touch menu on one trackpad*
Nothing personnel, kid.

Attached: fuck you2.png (302x182, 72K)

>$6.99

Attached: 1522699366795.gif (485x300, 2.54M)

you tell me

I think I paid about that. it's worth it

Seriously now ? I'll give it a look. I don't mind it not being free.

It's the worst controller because of symmetry

if you have a switch then yes, if no then no. It's a comfy controller and all but the support isn't the best on pc.

WiiU pro nigga right here. Fite me

A bit tight.

No analog triggers is both a pro and a con. Depends what games you like.

there was a simple windows service you had to install and it just worked, then some faggot horsefucker took the code and made an add-ridden app that was shilled everywhere and became de facto standard for DS3. it was essentially plug and play if you knew about the old service

then SCP Tool Kit came along and made everything as good as the old service. it's still plug and play, but there's always the optional stuff you could mess around with

Attached: 1561629623052.jpg (660x660, 128K)

>based 6 button controller
RB and LB bumpers were a mistake.

it's literally malware

No. If you can't seamlessly switch between and use the dualshock, xbone and wiiu/switch controller you're a brainlet.
Although I gotta say the dualshock is the worst out of the three.

It's free and open source. Give me one image showing how SCP is malware. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

Attached: 1555371507465.jpg (500x500, 86K)

Am I completely crazy for saying that the dualshock 3 is the best controller ever and by a long shot? It's quite light, it just fits your hands perfectly, it has the best dpad, the thumbsticks are great... I always though the xbox controller feels too bulky, as if you have a cinderblock in your hands

Attached: ps3.jpg (1024x847, 225K)

>it just fits your hands perfectly
handlet detected
>xbox controller feels too bulky
That's because the chodes you have for fingers aren't shaped like human hands.

DS2 was better, but 3 is also pretty good.

The 360 controller genuinely feels like holding a Fisher-Price tablet, texture and all
DS4 and the Xbone controller are much closer to the perfect size

The X360/Xbone controller is ergonomically perfect. The left thumb stick is positioned in a way that allows for easier vertical and horizontal control, which is important when nearly every game uses it for movement.
Ergonomics > symmetry

The PS controller is for children, or people with hand deformities

see

your thumbs are supposed to be straight, not constantly bent, that's why the dualshock design sucks because ergonomically it assumes you use the dpad more than the joystick

retard its positioned for left thumb on stick (movement) right thumb on buttons (actions), yeah you have to also move the camera but with either ps or xbox controller its not going to be symmetrical for everything you do no matter what. (unless not using sticks then ps wins for 2d platformer / emulation)

Actually just got an XBONE controller. How are people saying it's large? Feels smaller than the 360 one and fits perfectly in my tiny manlet hands. Are Dualshock shills literal babies?

DS4 has better thumbsticks than the 360 controller imo, i think that i often miss my attacks due to thumbstick moves on my 360 whereas on the ds4 I am consistently more accurate. That said the 360 has better face buttons and triggers.

It's all preference. I don't particularly care as long as my aim/camera stick is the low, which is true on both the dualshock and Xbox. What I don't like is two upper sticks like on the Wii U pro controller, but I'm certain I would get used to it.

The real matter of preference is DS3 vs DS4. I massively prefer the 3. It sat differently in my hands and had a better feel to its convex sticks.

It was alright, the triggers were ass though.

Assymetrical for FPS, symmetrical for anything else.

As long as your thumbs can comfortably rest on the middle of both thumbsticks AND the middle of the D pad AND face buttons without reaching or getting lost, the controller is fine. Intuitively knowing by feel where all buttons are without thinking is the most important thing.

Also it shouldn't have a retarded layout like the GameCube.

yes

>plays fps on controller
>implying GC controller wasn't one of the GOATs
absolute retard detected

I personally like the xbox’s triggers better.

This.
It’s a con for me, because I don’t play racing games at all.

Imo size-wise the ds4 and xbox controllers are pretty much the same.

ps4 for fighting game niggers and xbox for rpgs

I hate the ds4 thumbsticks. For some reason I just cannot use them. They are slippery, uncomfortable and hurt my fingers. I’ve always had to use some thumbstick covers if I’m on the PS4.

You use the left stick and the right buttons the most, so if you wanna keep your hands symmetrical you're failing.

>Switch Pro
No. D pads are shit

bought it because it looks cool
realised it was chinese as soon as I put my hands on it now I cant bring myself round to using it

Attached: IMG_0063.jpg (4032x3024, 1.63M)

No. I use both frequently anyway so I don’t find it makes much of a difference. I play a fair number of games where the D-Pad is the primary use of my left thumb, and in these cases I could argue the PS format is the most ideal. But since I play all different types of games on multiple controller layouts, it all just kind of blurs together and I’ve long eliminated any discomfort or needing any kind of readjustment period.

The only controller gripe I genuinely have anymore is the inconsistent quality of dpads. They’re all fuck ups about it. None of them get it right consistently.

Attached: image.jpg (1112x1200, 887K)

Speaking of Chinese feeling how's the xbone controller feel?

symmetrical seems the best

Is this a chad warden reference that no one caught?

yeah nothing like two sticks right next to eachother, huh.

what do y'all think about SCUF controllers?

The only thing the GC controller was good for was games that made good use of the meaty analogue triggers like Sunshine. It was a fucking picasso mess of a controller for most other games.

And FPS games are obviously better with K&M no-one is debating that you fucking Matlock

Expensive.

I work at SCUF ama

For games like Souls games and other games with camera control, the main control input will be analogs, therefore best to have them where they should, in a symmetrical layout.

face buttons are secondary unless you go for 2D or fitghing games, and then you'd still be using symmetrical layout since d-pad and face buttons are positioned correctly as well, AKA symmetrical.

So buy a controller that can switch or buy two different controllers.

It's pretty annoying to use buttons in the secondary position but it's tolerable to use sticks in the secondary position.
Trying to put sticks in the primary position really necessitates more of a rethink than just putting the D-Pad somewhere else since your thumb is on the analog almost by necessity.
The DS4 isn't better because of the symmetry it just makes an accidental sort of sense because the controller was initially designed around the buttons and the sticks were placed where they could be used. If they weren't at least tolerable in their position the controller would have flopped.
Meanwhile the D-Pad being less than optimal in asymmetrical stick controllers isn't really noticed.

It doesn't have a gyro or good triggers. Paradoxically I think the mangled abomination that is the Steam controller has the best triggers.

It makes more sense ergonomically if you're still sticking to established design principles to place the two most common inputs in the primary positions.

Too bad so much of the SC is terrible. The bumpers alone make me not want to use it.

You mostly nudge the camera stick in souls game, the face buttons are more important. I had no problems putting attack on square in Sekiro even.

>face buttons are more important
Estus chugging casul trash

SCP isn't malware you dunce.
You're thinking of Motioninjoy

yeah scp is good, motioninjoy is the malware, sorry

Dreamcast had a great dpad and only brainlets disagree

Attached: 20181204_090615.jpg (3264x2448, 2.15M)

Considering that roll is on circle I'd think that would be the more important input.

pls prove

>works flawlessly with steam
>most games don't have ds4 input icons because lmao xbox
I mean I get it and sometimes you can mod them in but fuck that's annoying.

Got you Vantage and sent it back. You niggers really dropped your quality

Man I wanna get a kb+m and a dreampi for my dreamcast so bad but I'd literally just have them to have them.

this
the amount of times Ive pressed X instead of square

All is forgiven user.

>he doesn't put roll on L1

Yeah, buying an xbox controller will surely fix that issue for you user :)

>wonky analogs
>clicky bumpers
>strange triggers
>tubby face buttons
no ty

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 63K)

The location of a joysticks doesn't matter because they it's still a bad input device.

Yes. Some games use the dpad for item selection and this configuration makes it impossible to do it while performing other actions.

>he thinks anyone who wants that even knows how to play fighting games

Attached: 389FD32F-1D1D-4AE4-AE9C-0D6A4DBEB2EB.jpg (424x478, 67K)

It's actually the only configuration where you can press the face buttons, have your thumbs on both sticks and use the dpad simultaneously.

>this triggers the Xbone faggot

Attached: icon-512.png (512x512, 16K)

Scuf Vantage >All

They're fragile and dainty compared to any other thumbsticks, but i find it trains your dexterity once you get past it.

As someone who was born with a base Dexterity of 90, who now has 99 - no. For the average clod, maybe.

you can do that with dualshocks too, shill.

I love my Switch pro and all but aside from Steam games, getting it to support other games is more trouble than plug and play than most controllers.

Which controller are you talking about again?

>but i find it trains your dexterity once you get past it.
To be fair, I did use them for several weeks when I was waiting for the new covers, so it's possible to get used to those, but the custom covers feel so much better anyway

thumbstick position only matters in as much as it allows the dpad to not be tiny fiddly shit