Daggerfall Unity is Amazing

Daggerfall Unity is almost complete. It is at version 0.8 and the creator expects to be done by the end of the year. They are downhill in development. All the main features are in the game; it's essentially 95% complete at this point. Daggerfall Unity is an open source project to remake Daggerfall for peak functionality and mod capacity.

The mod scene is already looking promising. For example, there is a mod that adds random encounters to dungeon entrances, and is planning to implement wilderness encounters. Meaning there's an actual reason to walk.

This is going to be the ultimate Elder Scrolls experience, lads. Take the complexity and depth of Daggerfall. Now add modern sensibilities from the newer installments such as random encounters. It's happening. It's all finally happening. The game is playable to entirety already, but when 1.0 comes out and the mod scene picks up, we're going to see some serious shit.

Attached: 463415-the-elder-scrolls-chapter-ii-daggerfall-dos-front-cover[1].jpg (800x1022, 169K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/afritz1/OpenTESArena
youtu.be/erflKPFAIOU
youtube.com/watch?v=tAf1QfO4Xug
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

even the 0.8 is so polished only hardcore daggerfags will notice stuff thats is still missing

Looking forward to it, but call me back when it actually is complete.

Boomers have a board, go to it.

Shut the fuck up you piece of shit

I will fucking shit in your butt

/vr/ is actually for millenial pretentious hispter

Same

Finally coming home bros.

Attached: ok2.gif (500x500, 800K)

That's great news

Attached: Xns8Z4M[1].png (1920x803, 973K)

That grass makes me laugh.
Even the horse doesn't look happy.

Agreed

nice
good to see this and openmw are making progress

Does it run through a different program than dosbox?

Funny, I was just thinking earlier about this and wondering where its development stood.

>complexity and depth of Daggerfall
What IQ do you have to have to think the same 5 dungeons copy-pasted a thousand times is complex and deep?

Does Daggerfall have terrain ie non-flat ground?
comfy

Daggerfall was an ambitious project for the time, but it's a REALLY bad game.
The dungeons are ridiculously large, and you REQUIRE magic to navigate them many times, and they also lack rules to prevent doodads from blocking off areas (like rocks and stalagmites/stalactites).

Also, the random nature of quests can result in impossible early-game quests like on that requires you to fight a DAEDROTH as part of the very first Mage's Guild quest, well before you should have access to a silver weapon capable of hurting one, let alone armor to survive it.

Friendly reminder that Arena also has a project open and it looking pretty damn good as well.
github.com/afritz1/OpenTESArena
youtu.be/erflKPFAIOU

It's in Unity you fucking retard, what do you think? Oh wait, you don't think, that's why you made that post.

youtube.com/watch?v=tAf1QfO4Xug
It has hills, but it's all treated as a flat plane.

Walking in DF is a huge waste of time. Even with random encounters, it takes 20+ minutes of riding a horse at full speed to go from one place to the next.

the map in DF is gigantic, but its like 80% empty space.

This, plus the fact that saves quickly corrupt over time and make the game virtually unfinishable if you aren't a speedrunner.
Hopefully that at least will be fixed with this Unity version, so I can see just how shit I think the rest of the game is.

Arena is dogshit, mate, always was, always will be

Arena is peak TES comfy

If it was not called TES, no one in their right mind would ever remember about this janky trash, like no one remembers many, MANY rpgs from that time.

It's a better GAME than Daggerfall, simply because it's playable and possible to complete every time you play it.

DF was highly ambitious, and very much ahead of its time, but the technology wasn't good enough to make it enjoyable or a good game.
It's more of a "proof of concept" for procedural 3D dungeon generation, custom spells, and procedural quests than an actual game.

been playing it for the past week
its pretty good

Attached: fall1.png (1920x1080, 218K)

I wish there were a modern game that followed the "Adventure Simulator" philosophy of Daggerfall.

How’s that 3D model mod going? It looked promising last time I checked

>but it's a REALLY bad game
It's more like a simulator than a game
In fact no other video game can give me that same cold nobody-cares-if-you-die sensation that real life does.

Attached: 5094WBd.jpg (2288x1712, 227K)

>I will fucking shit in your butt
))((?