Mario has a bad game

>Mario has a bad game
>no one mentions it when
Why are you like this, Yea Forums?

Attached: 220px-New_Super_Mario_Bros._2_box_artwork.png (220x220, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SbyYvDJcYIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think the New series is universally hated

This game is actually great

user, the "NEW" series is usually hated by people, same for Paper Mario Sticker Star and until recently Sunshine was hated with passion

This is actually the only good entry in the New series.

This! It’s fucking horrible.

The New Super Mario Bros games are the Assassin's Creed of Mario. Not bad, but very formulaic.

people talk about Sunshine all the time

Attached: 1548034873722.png (551x551, 260K)

There's a new mario game every 6 months how am I supposed to remember this shit?

Literally none of the New series games are bad, they can only be called mediocre.

Because why talk about bad games when you can play good games.

The New series isn't bad, It's just not interesting.

I'm curious how the fuck they even plan to continue the 2D series now that Mario Maker has basically phased out any excitement people would have for another game in the New series.

That game is fine; not bad, just a little generic and boring at times - but it at least tries new stuff, like turning everything into Gold.
But, if it were the only 'New Super Mario Bros' title, it'd be ranked better. It suffices for what it is, and with it's price point especially, it's not a game I'd put in a bad category. Just bland at worst.

Attached: 1556593501565.jpg (877x481, 64K)

>I'm curious how the fuck they even plan to continue the 2D series now that Mario Maker has basically phased out any excitement people would have for another game in the New series.

By actually reinventing it again, say what you will about the "New" series but when the first one came out on DS that shit was a breath of fresh air. They will actually have to change it up a lot and do some interesting shit or there won't be a point. They might not even do 2D mario for a while honestly.

This was okay

For what it's worth, NSMBU is the best and most fun game style in Mario Maker

NSMB is only "bad" after the first one because they just kept doing the same things over and over again instead of doing different things like Super Mario Bros 3 and World did.

I just want a new Mario game that has an extensive inventory and item system like 3 did or having Yoshi and creating different effects depending on what he eats like in World. Not just Super Mario Bros. 1 with a couple of new things.

New HD 2d art with some kind of gimmick. Besides I don't think most of the stages made by regular people are as well crafted as the official ones.

This, honestly see MM as the definitive 2d mario experience, especially now that 2 comes with premade levels.

You're right. What a fucking great game.

I liked the original NSMB when it was actually new and there hadn't been a proper 2d Mario released in quite some time, but it's long since overstayed its welcome.

It's hard to remember mediocre games.

NSMB1 is pretty overrated when it's actually the worst game in the series

U > Wii > 2 > 1

the series has only gotten better over time

>part of a series of mediocre entries
>is generally regarded to be the worst and most forgettable of that series
>came out 7 years ago
>"why is no one talking about this game anymore wtf Yea Forums how could you"

Attached: nsmb2.jpg (867x519, 215K)

NSMB2 is good. 99.9% of the criticism it received was because it launched the same year as NSMBU, and because it was the third in the series making it low hanging fruit to be called a rehash. Intellectually dishonest faggots like yourself, Op, existed here long before you arrived from Reddit maybe or your recent 18th birthday party.

NSMB2 is my favorite of the series. The coin gimmick was fun.

What's so fun about it?

I'd have enjoyed the coin gimmick if there was an actual point to it. Like, anything at all.
I cared more about collecting coins in Mario Maker 2 than I did in NSMB2.

This, you don't even fucking get anything for collecting 1 million coins
youtube.com/watch?v=SbyYvDJcYIw

Hated by Yea Forums, but people buy the shit out of it. It's like their 5th best selling series all time

When I have fun, it's a personal experience that I prefer to simply enjoy without attempting to dissect it for disingenuous cunts like you.

I hate sunshine. it's plain bad, no way around it.

Yeah, too bad they didn't include an achievement system so you'd have a reason to play a video game.

>making it low hanging fruit to be called a rehash
The very nature of NSMB makes it low-hanging fruit for accusations of rehashing. I admittedly haven't played NSMBU, but the other three are solid games nonetheless. I barely remembering anything about them, though, and it wasn't even that long ago that I played NSMB2.

Even Mario's 'bad' titles are serviceable at worst and decent at best. The reason no one mentions it is because it's not worth mentioning. It just ends up being sort of underwhelming, that's it.

>people buy the shit out of it
It has diminishing returns as people get tired of it. Every entry has sold less than the last.
Only the first two games printed money because it was when the series was actually "New" and they were both on consoles with huge install bases.

And after two Mario Makers featuring literally infinite "NSMB" levels any future games will be an even harder sell unless they fundamentally change the series to make it "New" again.

Attached: nsmb sales.png (1178x346, 82K)

>finally brought back raccoon and not the stupid "leaf gives tanuki suit"
>it's in the worst game
kill me 3bros

probably cuz it's so forgettable, nobody remembered to bring it up.

Attached: COLLARD GREENS.png (835x688, 56K)

Not only is it bad but it released alongside the best 2D platformer ever made. How fitting that it would be Donkey Kong who dabbed on Mario's grave.

Attached: SI_WiiU_DonkeyKongCountryTropicalFreeze_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 304K)

Whats the context for comic?

Fuck you for reminding me of that comic

I think that's exactly why they made it - brand exhaustion. The gap between World and New was how long, 15 years? It wouldn't surprise me if we saw another gap about that length for 2D Mario, maybe bridged with some New Collections or re-releases, just to cash in on that casual market

Almost nothing sold well on the WiiU and it still cracked 5 mil. The Switch version is 3 mil in like 2 months

it's not a bad game, just mediocre

NSMBU only sold as bad as it did because Wii U has been the worst selling Nintendo platform since Virtual Boy. Shit, even Super Mario Maker 2 is already nearing the point of doubling 1's sales last I checked. 2 was just an unfortunate casualty in a time when Nintendo needed to put the series to bed for a while.

You are right in that Super Mario Maker basically replace is it though. It's the ultimate Mario game.

Not him but in MM2, coins are used to progress in story mode, giving them actual purpose. In endless they give lives like they always have, which is valuable. They can also be used as a clear condition. Play the game before you talk shit.

DS > Wii > U > 2

I played the one for the DS years ago and it was pretty fun even if the NSMB are completely uninspired

>Wii U excuse
Then why didn't 2 sell better with a much larger install base and that lasted 8 years?
Why didn't NSMBUDX sell better than NSMBU on a console with already double the install base?
People are just sick of this series.

>Leave comment in discussion for game
>Someone is interested enough to try and see your perspective on it
>Ugh wow why am I expected to actually discuss why I like something?

Yes I too find it fucking riveting to make shallow statements about liking or disliking things that add nothing. You can't just say there was something in the level design, controls, art, sound design, whatever that stuck out to you and add insight for people that might never pay attention to those things. Instead you're here to wave your dick around and hope someone will wave theirs back.

Well here's mine you faggot.

Attached: luigiimhome.jpg (231x240, 25K)

NSMBU is bretty gud. I also liked 2.

I have played it. I don't need to see a castle getting bigger to care about getting coins in a Mario game.

Has miyamoto ever gotten shit for that?

I already explaines that to you in my post. It released during a time when NSMB's reputation was in the trash. Give it a few years, people never tire of 2D Mario forever.

>Best power-up never came back
>Doesn't even have an official render
FUCK
You want to know why NSMB2 is so forgettable? Because its power-ups suck. Then only new one was the Gold Flower, and it's debatable how new it actually is. I was already sick of the raccoon tail after 3D Land, but it's the only power-up Nintendo likes to bring back for whatever reason. They couldn't even be assed to put the Ice Flower in NSB2.

Attached: Blue_Shell_Artwork_-_Mario_Kart_Wii.png (1660x1428, 1.24M)

Not that guy, but noone is saying people aren't sick of the series; however, you can't say that games weren't hampered by the platforms they were on, either. The 3DS was only starting to pick up sales when the game launched, and though a casual user may pick up a copy whenever they eventually grab a 3DS, a more hardcore user probably wouldn't have gone back to pick up the game after its launch hype is gone

>Instead you're here to wave your dick around and hope someone will wave theirs back. Well here's mine you faggot.
fucking kek. This is why I come back here

>Well here's mine you faggot.

Attached: 1507586839263.jpg (1157x772, 109K)

Samefag.

wrong pic

Attached: 81CmmL+W9iL._SX342_.jpg (342x342, 35K)

what game

I don't even agree with him. I just laughed at the dick waving comment.

repeat after me
O K !
W H E N !
N I N T E N D O !
D O E S !
I T !

They will if every NSMB looks exactly the same as the previous with no innovations at all. Like I said, if the only new thing they can sell people is more levels Mario Maker already takes care of that. They will need to fundamentally change the look and feel of the game if they want to revitalize interest in it, because people already constantly point out how lifeless and sterile NSMB looks with its pre-rendered flat environments even in comparison to Nintendo's other 2D platformers like Donkey Kong and Kirby.

>Star coins don't even allow you to unlock wallpapers

Attached: 1562467366910.jpg (250x236, 8K)

>People don't talk about forgettable trash every day
You don't fucking say.

Attached: 1552385027430.jpg (1024x1024, 110K)

Give it a plot and a unique villain like the Mario RPGs tend to do, and give the levels an interesting level design, layout, and theme that isn't Grass, Desert, Snow, Lava.

Like maybe it can be Temple, Mansion, Electron, Eery Sky.

NSMB2 was kino though, U was the shit one

That would be Backtrack Door.

But everybody here hated it and grew tired of NSMB as a whole fairly quickly. Let's also not forget Sticker Star, Color Splash, and Paper Jam. None of these games were defended by Yea Forums.

No way. The original on the DS was hella fun. Multiplayer mode was awesome, and the spinning float mechanic was excellent. The only bullshit was requiring certain upgrades to access secrets or coins, and the upgrades would be in a different level or world or something.

NSMB Wii improved on the formula by doing away with most of that bullshit. There may only be one or two occasions where that was needed. The gameplay was tighter, too.

NSMBU was the best of them all. The gameplay was tight as a virgin pussy. No bullshit power-up farming needed to unlock anything. Optional challenges really pushed expert players to get gold, and many levels were perfectly optimized for speedrunning (an area that DS and Wii were already pretty solid with).

I can't really remember NSMB2, but it first introduced the challenge concept, IIRC. This was done well, and the gameplay was pretty tight, but nothing to write home about. It was a step up from the original, on par with NSMB but below NSMBU in terms of quality.

The controls are tight, and the floating spin mechanic adds a lot to the gameplay and control.

Hey, it's here.

I completely disagree with this, only because almost no one has been able to put the wall jump or the "float" mechanic to good use. I don't think I've seen a level that integrates either of them well. Nowhere near the quality of the levels Nintendo made in NSMBU. At least there are many examples of the SMBW, SMB, and SMB3 levels that are on par or better than genuine Nintendo offerings

I legitimately believe that this series would not have this rehash reputation if each game had unique music and visuals.

If they each had unique music and visuals then they wouldn't be as rehashed, so that's kind of obvious no?

I think that's just a fact is it not? If all the NSMB games didn't share the same graphics, music and world themes they would feel more unique. As it stands they usually have one new powerup each and that's it.

How many world themes are there that you could put in a 2D Mario game? The only other ones I can think of are space and city.

Reminder.

Attached: nsmb2.png (1824x2881, 1.88M)

They could have added any new world themes or at the fucking least changed the order they appeared in.

>How many world themes are there that you could put in a 2D Mario game?
They could try to mix and match typical world themes.
Like an Iceland-esque world where it's your typical ice level but with lava underneath.
Or rocky coast world that combines elements from the typical water and mountain levels.

They could look at Super Mario Land 1 & 2 and even SMW for inspiration.

NSMB has never done a machine/factory setting or an ancient ruins setting, just as an example. But they can also put new spins on things like how NSMBU did the Van Gogh Starry Night aesthetic in the forest levels, but only some of them.

The series? Sure.
NSMB itself? No. That was decent.
The problem is really that Nintendo stuck with the NSMB model and style far too long for its own good.

I like NSMB2, though it and the first are the only ones I've played. Plus they squandered a great opportunity to throw Wario into the mix.

Is Mario Maker 3DS worth playing at all for the packaged levels at least?

Don't understand why they seem to hate putting Wario in mainline games. When people asked Miyamoto why he wasn't in NSMBWii instead of two identical Toads he just gave a bullshit non-answer of "well then we'd have to add in the ability for him to fart." The fact that he got in to SM64DS must've been some kind of fluke.

Attached: goldrush.jpg (1280x1280, 835K)

>"What new themes could they add?"
>"THEY COULDVE ADDED NEW THEMES"
Good answer, retard. And they do change the order they appear in.

Not really an original idea. It just does away with the idea of theming altogether. There is a bit of this already, with underground or water sections in atypical zones.

Just vague enough to almost appear as an answer. Good job.

Factory setting is a good idea. Pirate setting would be decent too, but now we're moving into DKC area. New artistic spin could work. The Starry Night level was dope. Ancient ruins were already in NSMBU, in the desert level, for example.

>Ancient ruins were already in NSMBU, in the desert level
I meant more Mayan or Aztec than Egyptian, they do Egyptian ruins in every desert level.

>Wii U excuse
The WiiU version had the highest attach rate of all of them
>Then why didn't 2 sell better
Are you actually pretending to be disappointed at 13 million copies sold?

Hard to say without knowing what you're looking for. If you're just looking for pre-packaged levels get SMM2 because it has an entire story mode with over 100 levels without being a neutered game. SMM3DS nicks Mystery Mushrooms and Big Mushrooms which axes a ton of compatibility with Wii U levels and you can't even enter course IDs or use Bookmark so you'd be getting it pretty much for those 100 levels and nothing else. I can't vouch for the quality of those 100 levels because I never played that version but it just seems like a bad deal compared to SMM2.

>Just vague enough to almost appear as an answer. Good job.
What, have you never played those games? Super Mario Land 2 alone has themes for a Tree Zone, Macro Zone (small in a normal sized building) and the Mario Zone which is toy-based. They even do something different to an extent with the spooky theme with Pumpkin Zone. I mention SMW since that gives a bit of a sweets theme with the Vanilla Dome and Chocolate Island which in my eyes could lead to an actual sweets world since I don't feel SMW portrayed that too well. I didn't mention it but 3D World has some neat stuff also with the amusement park and Japanese dojo levels. Basically there's quite the potential for themes for new worlds in the Mario series and they could lead to interesting mechanics no less if they tried.

NSMB2 is not a good game, it's not just uninspired and boring game like Yoshi's Crafted World, it's badly designed

both of those games having an 80ish metascore is a testament of the Nintendo Bonus. Yoshi is 6.5 game at best, NSMB2 is a legit 5/10

What's badly designed about them?

Nsmb ds was pretty good tho

Super mario maker Plus should be new Requirements like get 1000+ coins ,missing themes like beach/volcano/mountains/tover/castle&cave varioations and missing stuff like enemies/powerups/obstacles/ets.

None of the New games are really bad. They just feel samey. Fine if you like that style without much change I guess.

I meant it as they could have added FUCKING ANY NEW THEMES instead of rehashing the same 8 themes every single time. Space and city are good ideas. Maybe a big clock like tick tock clock or some other large machine as a world. Have the jungle level be dinosaur themed and don't have the damn posion water for once. I'm surprised they never did a food based level like the one in Odyssey. What about an arcade themed level? They have the rights to a decent amount of arcade games. Adding in some different characters would help as well, put in Wario or someone as a side antagonist that you can play as after beating him.

>Play a NSMB game
>All will to continue playing just dies whenever I reach the obligatory purple drank jungle area.

What I hate about both NSMB and SMM is that the existence of both makes people think Nintendo should never put effort into a proper 2D mario again. No, I don't want a shitty phoned-in NSMB game, and I don't want 2D mario to be relegated to a fucking level editor. Give me a PROPER 2D mario title that's actually original, explores new ground, and has the production values/budget 3D mario is allowed to get away with.

Attached: ルイージU スーパープレイ その3.webm (500x280, 2.83M)

dev plays are always a treat

It's not bad, it's mediocre.
No one mentions it because it's pretty much forgotten.

I wish they would stray from their current art-style.
Hey, it works... Mario has essentially always just increased in fidelity; the same style in newer tech.
Paper Mario was a pretty wild deviation by Nintendo standards, but I haven't seen them take Mario even half as far since.

Attached: D9ixHKQUwAAvbK.jpg (641x498, 319K)