Character action

>Character action
>spectacle fighter
>stylish action
>hack n' slash

What is the definitive genre name for the DMCs, Ninja Gaidens, (old) God of Wars, etc.

Attached: hack & slash protagonists.jpg (1234x647, 185K)

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/v/thread/468669452/#468693691
youtube.com/watch?v=TWK4cRAfmOc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Action game

Action hack and slash.
The worst though is character action.
What fucking action game doesn't have you playing a character?

the character action term was made to make it so you couldnt criticise games with shit combat

tetris

That's a puzzle game, retard.

Maybe to a T-Rex brain such as yourself.

tetris has more in common with dmc than solving a puzzle

>Character action
Sounds like something you could call any action game
>spectacle fighter
Fighter implies games like Mortal Combat, Guilty Gear or Street Fighter
>stylish action
I guess so, but seems like a genre with very loosely defined borders. I mean GoW doesn't have style points, so would we still count it?
>hack n' slash
Sure, but Diablo is also hack n' slash.

Stylish Action, according to Capcom.

cuh
ray
zee

I miss Chaos Legion. We need more bomb-kicking games.

3D beat 'em up. I don't give a fuck what you say.

>character action
what does that even mean?
>spectacle fighter
these aren't fighting games
>stylish action
you could say tons of games have "stylish action"
>hack and slash
this is probably the most accurate out of these 4 but even then it doesn't fully describe these games

personally I think just calling them action games is fine but with such an emphasis on combos in these games, maybe we should call them something like action combo games or combo action games or since gamers like stupid portmanteaus like soulsborne and metroidvania, maybe somelike like "combaction" ? idk my point is combos and often over the top action are what define these games

This

Old GoW was more of a musou than anything like Devil May Cry

I'd be fine with this too. the meme is pretty well ingrained at this point

It's just action.

It's Hack n' Slash.

Everything else is retarded and nonsensical shit thought up by zoomers and autists.

Attached: Shrine Maiden.jpg (1200x675, 477K)

>but Diablo is also hack n' slash

No it fucking isn't. No one ever associated that term with those games despite claims that it started with DnD.

I mean sure but there are other hack and slash games that don't put anywhere near as much emphasis on combos as these games do

>the character action term was made to make it so you couldnt criticise games with shit combat
Fuck off Charlie

DMC3-5 aren't action games, they're single player fighting game combo sims.

>DMC3-5 aren't action games
what world did i wake up in

Spectacle fighter sounds the best over stylish action and hack n' slash. People who use "character action" should get noosed, though.

Slice n' Dice

souls-like

but i wouldnt describe ninja gaiden or god of war as setting out to be "stylish". The aim of ryu hyabusa is to be efficient as he is a ninja and the aim of kratos is to be brutal. That name really only applies to dmc and bayonetta

Character Action sounds the least retarded. However, anything besides hack n' slash is fine, since it covers way too many games in people's minds for it to be useful as far as defining genres. People call Isometric RPGs hack n' slash for fucks sake.

muh combos is not and should not be the defining aspect of the genre. Most people would agree that Shinobi is part of the genre and yet there is fuck all combos going on in that game.

bait

Action game is the umbrella term that you add more details to based on the gameplay elements it adds. DMC is action hack n slash, KH is action rpg. Character action is used to describe action games with an emphasis on story such as GoW 2018, and stylish action is for action games where swords arent the main weapon, more like a 3D beat em up

Attached: 1562173944242.gif (400x313, 1.88M)

Hey retard, get your technical terminology right, they are low enemy count musous.

Stylish action, it's in the cover or the site by capcom or something

Shitty reddit lingo

Rooty tooty thumbs are hurty

what? yes it should when it's so fucking integral to these games. these game would be completely different without combos. a few outliers shouldn't determine what we call the majority. shinobi can go into some other category

post a non action hack n slash retard

"Spectacle fighter" is literally both the dumbest and gayest shit i have ever heard, and i've listened to One Direction

Has anyone tried Teppen yet? Is it worth it just for DMC?

DMC is the only one that puts heavy emphasis on combos. Bayonetta and NG have scoring systems. This is why DMC is full if brain dead enemies and 100s of options for players. DMC's retarded scoring system doesn't even play at all to what makes the franchise famous. Getting Pure Platinums and Master Ninja ranks are actually what you strive for in those games. DMC's S ranks are laughably easy to achieve.

I don't like the hack and slash name. It implies all of the games are oriented around bladed weapons when that isn't always the case.

the only dmc game with braindead enemies is 5

Critical acclaim-bait yawnfest.

>t. character action nigger

lol why do you hate these games so much?

>t.I played DMC and nothing else

They are not integral at all. Onimusha also has no emphasis on combos and is part of the genre, same for ZOE and Sekiro

no they all put pretty heavy emphasis on combos considering your most powerful moves are often combo finishers and the fact that they even have such elaborate combo systems in the first place. COMBOS ARE INTEGRAL

Thoughts on Nier Automata's combat system?

Attached: Nier Automata combat.jpg (1920x1080, 449K)

so darksouls is grouped with bayonetta and DMC now? truly you've lost your mind

Son, all you need to do to get the highest rank in Ninja Gaiden is to not run from any enemy encounter.

Attached: and another one.png (1080x1920, 2.3M)

fun for a few hours then a slog for the rest

Stylish Action, obviously. Cause the point is to style on your enemies

>bayo and 2b
>versus dante and kratos
in bed

combos (in dmc) only exist for stylish play other actions game have their own ways of having style (dodging in bayonetta, efficiency in ninja gaiden)

No, Dark Souls is an action RPG and it does not have move strings. If the definition of the genre wasn't nebulous this thread would not exist.

>Sure, but Diablo is also hack n' slash.

Diablo is a Loot-n-Scoot

and sekiro isn't an action RPG? what did he mean by this?

5 has a great enemy roster, nothing overly gimmicky and most of them combo well together,

theyre called cuhrayzee games

user, you are insane if you think this genre would be the same without combos.

who started this "dmc5 enemies are punchingbags" meme? It couldnt be further from the truth

combos only matter in one series is what the point is retard

>and sekiro isn't an action RPG?

Yes, it literally is 100% an action game. Where is the role playing in Sekiro?

Diablo is diablo-like

>putting kratos in the group

fpbpfpbpfpbpfpbpfpbp

feed n' seed

I think the point of that term that people miss is that "character" refers to the fact that you're controlling more aspects of the character on screen and have a greater degree of expression through you're avatar then you would say in an action-adventure game which would have more buttons dedicated to investigating things or going into inventory or using items. The "character" part is referring to character agency, which is usually greater than your typical 3rd person game. It feels like people read that term at a literal level and think it's just saying "this action game has characters in it."

you have a skewed perception of the term RPG.

"a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a character (and/or several party members) immersed in some well-defined world."

Still a retarded term because mgs and botw have far more control over their characters than a dmc ir bayonetta

ah right so they programmed all those combos in the other games for no reason by mistake. gotcha

>RPG is a game where you control a character in a world

Yes, it's my perceptions that are fucked up.

Attached: 1547227345430.jpg (300x300, 19K)

no they just arent focus of the genre or gameplay. botw has jumping but its not a platformer.

Even the original DMC lacks much of an emphasis on combos. Time is a significant factor in the game's scoring system, so killing enemies quickly and efficiently is rewarded more than trying to set up long combos.

hardcore action game
alternatively games with good combat

would you call gow 2018 an action rpg?

Gutted version of Bayonnetta

Hmmm, how about 3rd person action games? Full stop? Maybe we've been approaching this problem backwards all along and we're been trying to tack on attributes to a genre whose main appeal is that they focus on the action over everything else, to the point where other elements like exploration or rpg mechanics are superficial to irrelevant. Then other games which have additional elements like more elaborate exploration can use the action-adventure term more accurately because unlike these games they aren't purely focused on combat.

They're 3rd person action games. Full stop. Perfectly succinct and leaves no aspect of any of these games out. Not a pet genre name either that revolves the identity of a single game or two. (like spectacle fighter or cuhrayzee)

Combos are absolutely essential in Bayonetta.

I know. I just said that

This , the games scoring system is a cluster fuck.

pretty much. yeah. that doesn't mean it can't also be considered a "stylish action" game or whatever we're calling it

Wasn't Diablo considering hack n slash by PC redditors at some point?

any game were you attack is an action game. action game is just a sub medium in the video game medium as a whole and genre is something different.

>pokemon is an action game now
wow, what did he mean by this?

Is Zelda a pure action game? It's evenly divided among other aspects that take up equal or greater attention than these games. Some games also have combat or rpg mechanics in a passive role and don't define the core experience.

It's not a cluster fuck. You get the best rank for beating all the enemy encounters in the level, as you should. That's all that matters. Everything else: speed, pointless numbers, """""style"""" that's autism territory and i love that NG dabs on those fools by basically not giving a fuck. Every time i see a Karma run video show up on youtube i cringe.

And in DMC5 you are actively punished for engaging in any encounter that's not mandatory. Still easy as fuck to get S Ranks.

Supposedly the term originates from a Dungeon's and Dragons playstyle and that's how it transitioned to Diablo but if you go read magazines and articles from 15 years ago you will see that that term is really only used to describe these games.

attack without a menu buffering it
action game is any game that has immediate action without a menu (aka not turn based jrpgs or other passive game mediums) genre is what type of action game it is (zelda is exploration action)

Nobody is going to agree on a name, can we at least agree on a criteria that separates games like DMC/Bayo/NG from games that are also 3rd-person action but aren't quite the same?

Personally, I think the #1 sign that the game belongs with those three besides a blanket descriptor of "mechanical complexity" is a scoring system per encounter and/or stage. A system like Style Points, Bayo's Medals, Ninja Rankings, Letter Grades, etc. These systems tell the player that beating the enemy isn't enough, and that they need to improve to get better at fighting the enemy and defeat them "expertly", however the game decides to score that. DMC weighs style heavily while Bayo is more about combo scores that you kept up throughout the combat and punctuated with Wicked Weaves consistently executed using Offset, and other games may more heavily weigh your time and damage like Ninja Gaiden does (it also adds points for having unused Ninpo at the end of a stage).

A game that simply has you run into a room, says to kill everything, and when you do lets you leave with no incentive to return to do it faster, cooler, or with less damage, is not part of the same category. The criteria also doesn't imply a game's quality or not, allowing for the existence of games within the space that aren't necessarily good games (like all sub-genres have, preventing the "sub-genre" from just being a list of recommended games of a certain type).

Attached: 1561056042610 (Ryu ups).webm (900x506, 1.3M)

You're pretty dumb user

Just proves you're a newfag. DMC has been criticized for brain dead enemies since DMC3 released. Not that I expect anyone participating in these threads or DMC threads on Yea Forums to have any experience following the games prior to the HD Collection re release.

ah yes disregarding different options of playing. This guy really has a clue on what character action games are truly about. Next you're gonna tell us anyone who uses anything but dragon sword is a zoomer

I have well over 200 hours across 3 and 4. 5's enemies are retard. Even the puppets in 4 pose more of a threat than the bugs in 5.

DMC-like

no u

>well over 200 hours across 3 and 4

Wow, I'm so impressed, you have half the time of some of my DMC3 PS2 files.

Attached: laughingelfman.png (1920x1080, 1.56M)

I actually agree with this. good post

Style simulator.

you've been wasting you're time then lol its like 50 hours in 3 and 150 in 4 for me

Empusas are pretty weak, true, but you really can't say that Scudos, Protos, Hell/Pyrobats, Cainas, Antenoras, Judeccas, Behemoths, Queens, and Furies are braindead on higher difficulties (not even DMD, just SoS).

5 also has no enemies that are truly frustrating to fight, like a good 25-30% of 3's roster and a couple from 4 like Blitzes. You would think Furies are meant to be "THAT enemy" but Judeccas are actually the worst of the bunch, and even then not that awful if you manage to launch them before they teleport. Honestly, if you could parry Judeccas they would be a lot more manageable, but as-is I'd rather fight a whole group of them than 2 Fallen or 2 Blitzes.

Sorry but no cigar. Thee is plenty of exploration in NG1, DMC1, all of Onimusha, Sekiro, Genji an di'm sure many others. The term itself is just as generic as action game too since most games are in 3rd person. Is Gears of War in the same genre as Devil May Cry?

Whatever you say HD Collectionfag. Stop trying to pretend you actually know anything about the franchise and its criticized history.

Attached: 1540851024989.jpg (500x315, 39K)

Barbie Fashion Show: An Eye for Style is now in the same genre as bayonetta
wow great post

Sekiro is not an RPG. RPG implies you either have significant amount of player agency throughout the game over key plot decisions, or at the very least are going to be managing stats, upgrades, equipment and builds for your characters.

In sekiro your upgrades are completely linear like any of the other action games mentioned in the thread. There are no choices to make, aside maybe which prosthetics to upgrade or skill points, but that is essentially the same as deciding which move to spend red orbs on in DMC and all of these other games have "choose which upgrades you wnat" system, but just like Sekiro you don't get to decide anything, or manage any inventory or party members, or have to worry about leveling up through experience.

at best sekiro is an Action RPG and the core of the gameplay is taken from their past ARPG games, but this is their first game that cuts pretty much all the RPG aspects of the game out.

>equip UF
>enter room
>hold y
>exit room
Repeat

they really arent retarded. Sure the two most basic enemies are pretty much punching bags but enemies such as the hell judecca, furies, riots and those ones that go into a state of invulnerability are more than just punching bags, they are actually very aggressive. Sure they dont attack when they are in a stun state but it actually takes effort to keep them remained in that stun state as using moves that knock them away get them out of that state you sassy little ginger faggot

>actually saying you'd prefer to fight Fallen over Judecca

You are clinically insane. Spoiler alert, stop hitting Judecca with moves that cause hard knock down. There, that's their secret.

having no enemies that are frustrating to fight is a bad thing. Almost every enemy in 5 is taken down the same way with zero thought. The only different between enemies is if they can be launched or not. No unique JC properties or dynamics like group attacks or enemies fighting each other. No body surfing from 3 either. Most of the enemies don't even look like DMC enemies and just generic demons lol.

The point is that the enemies aren't braindead in 3 regardless of how many people try to meme it you retard.

shooting is distinct enough an action from regular action(direct engagement with NPCs) that most people don't have a problem with the shooter/action distinction. Part of the whole point of this puzzle is to use language effectively to be descriptive, and nobody without being intentionally autistic about it struggles with how a shooter an action game immediately distinguish from each other Max Payne is clearly not Devil May Cry.

Slash'em up

No, that would be a fashion game.

You read my post wrong. I'd rather fight 3 or 4 Judeccas than 2 Fallens or 2 Blitzes is what I said. Even 5's "THAT enemy" is pleasant compared to the worst 3 & 4 have to offer.

>booohooo muh 'tism runs

Yes, give me those autism tears. mmhhm it feels so nice. If i've upset a speedrun/score fag then i've had a productive day.

Attached: Shitter-kun.jpg (1200x1600, 804K)

the teleporting fags are pretty frustrating

They are, all the Hell enemies and the Abyss are walking Style Meter bags. The only enemies in DMC3 that get away from this are also coincidentally the most horribly designed enemies in the game because the team didn't know how to balance shit when they made the game.

not if you know how to deal with them aka dont use moves that knock them away

is astral chain going to be included in these games? it pretty much fits all the criteria from what I've seen

people who won't stop dickriding Ninja Gaiden Black.
Relative to NG they are correct, but it's fucking retarded comparison to make since the focus of the games' mechanics are different.

In what way? I don't know if you understood his post at all or if you just haven't actually played or seen high level dmc play.

define style

>like group attacks
>What are Angelos
>enemies fighting each other
When did they fight each other besides dmc 4?

Dante's law: when discussing character action games, the discussion will inevitably lead to DMC offenders vs defenders

Attached: 1556129749025.png (584x575, 242K)

>No unique JC properties or dynamics like group attacks or enemies fighting each other.
Scudos & Protos do have formations, just not ones as rigid and structured as 4's Angelos. Behemoths do attack other enemies when unchained, and Hellbats upon death explode and can harm other enemies, which can be detonated manually with a ranged attack from you instead of just waiting.

Yes. It seems to have some light RPG elements but not enough to trivialize the combat. The Legions look like a lot of fun to play around with, and I do like that the combat seems to stress the position of the player and Legion relative to the enemy with things like using the Chain to attack and enemies having weak points.

Attached: 1547148739560.jpg (800x849, 157K)

DMC cannot do enemy designs outside of punching bags, every time they do you get shit like Furys who literally waste your time at best and can be burst down in a milisecond with Nero/Dante or frustrating shit like Enigmas. Grace and Glory shit on any DMC enemy by a wide margin, they are hard to fight but nothing they do can be pinned as "cheap" or frustrating. They can be overwhelming at first because you have to watch two enemies, but thy are great examples of enemy design. Absolutely nothing in DMC comes close to them in terms of engagement or satisfaction.

in mgs and botw characters affect their environment in more meanginful ways outside of hitting enemies

Check a dictionary.
For "style simulator" I define it as a game with style over substance attacks and combos, in which the only goals are to get points and look cool .

Oh, its that Bayo fag with Grace and Glory
You showed up

Then you have my apology for failing at basic reading.

they are absolutely not, the most efficient highest damage is charging the swords to third stage in witch time and one hit killing all the enemies at once.

Great argument

>shooting is distinct enough an action from regular action(direct engagement with NPCs) that most people don't have a problem with the shooter/action distinction

Dante, Bayonetta, Rachel, Michelle, Magoishi and Jehuty are all "what ever this genre is" characters with guns, they all shoot stuff. If that's not enough then what about Resident Evil 5 and 6? Both have heavy emphasis on both melee and guns. Are they part of the same genre as Ninja Gaiden? What about Vanquish? That has even less emphasis on melee than RE yet it always shows up in the lists for this genre.

Attached: Second Best Girl.webm (900x506, 2.94M)

This has nothing to do with his explanation of character action

>argument
>witch time the game
>muh G&G reskinned fuckers of chapter 5 ennemy
Even the big bad kitty knows you ve got shit for brains

>he thinks Witch Time even matters at Bayonetta's highest level

Attached: 1539642068193.png (854x448, 595K)

Why the fuck don't you guys just call it Technical Action or some shit?

why make dmc fans look like retards?

because fuck you

>bayonetta aggression good
>dmc aggression bad

the same fucking thing you just said is also applicable to two furies, overwhelming at first but enjoyable afterwards. im fairly certain most people agree that royal releasing a fury is really satisfying.

Attached: 1562104782349.jpg (1033x1520, 137K)

>Witch Time
>mattering on Infinite Climax
>gets filtered by Gracious and Glorious

Yup, sounds about right. Leave discussing action games to the people who actually play more than one franchise.

Attached: bayobayo.jpg (1280x720, 107K)

this looks a lot like when smash players plug their ears and yell that its a fighting game while trying to shove a square peg into a circular hole

Bayonetta and DMC the shooting is a passive supporting role, the same way that 3rd person shooters also often have melee options. Resi 5 and 6 genuinely genre blend though and could be described either way.

Grace and Glory don't enter invulnerable states for no reason as you wait for them to stop zipping around the screen so you can clash their one attack and then burst them to death with a loop or one Devil Breaker arm.

I don't agree. Reducing the genre to such a minor and secondary detail as it's defining feature is not a good way to do it. Many other games have scoring systems.

Character action game

GoW is fucking shit

where the fuck does the character aspect of this come in?

It definitely will
I have never heard of anyone excluding W101 from the genre. AC is clearly an evolution of its mechanics in a more focused direction.

serviceable

The worst GoW game is miles better than the best "game" Platinum or Capcom has ever made.

now this is a shitpost worthy of Yea Forums

take this (you) you filthy slut

I call them anal slut fuckery

grace and glory ain't shit, Bayonetta 1 is the only game in this genre I actually beat every difficulty in. Your dodges are OP as hell even without witch time.

it doesn't but this is still easiest way to kill everything. You get 5 consecutive dodges before it resets your shit and the i frames are huge. IIRC you can still use the item to trigger it manually using your magic bar anyways.

yeah no shit, they're different enemies. turns out enemies in a game about dodging swings a lot more at you than in a game about combos

Transformers Devastation included full TPS gunplay into its action gameplay mechanics, but I wouldn't consider it a shooter, nor would I consider it a CRPG for having its Diablo-style loot and character progression.

You can't boil things down to a perfect category that some games fit in and others don't because games have been combining aspects of genres together for decades. Devil May Cry 1, the progenitor itself, was a combination of Resident Evil and beat-em-up games, but it focused more on the combat than the horror or puzzles. Onimusha could sound almost the same on paper as DMC1 but its focuses are elsewhere (at least in its earlier entries) and stick closer to RE despite DMC1 originally being Resident Evil 4 until it changed so drastically. Shit, if you want to go another route, Revengeance kept some of the stealth and sub-weapon mechanics from MGS for Raiden just for the sake of being more tied into its series than most action games (stripping that away for Sam's DLC since he's more of a Samurai than a Ninja).

Attached: 1552180575291.jpg (700x546, 205K)

no one should be including Vanquish at all. It is definitely a CUHRAYZEE game, but it's still a fucking cover based TPS.

thanks, I pray you find good taste in games

Attached: cuhrayzee.jpg (800x2000, 1.16M)

I don't want to boil it down to just the rankings, but I feel like it can help determine if a game qualifies if mechanically it is on the fence. If a game has no depth but a ranking system, it doesn't necessarily count, and you could argue that games with no ranking systems but high mechanical depth do count, but those are not common as far as I know.

I don't really see a lot of W101 in AC outside of being a special police force and the secrets being bathrooms. I get more Chaos Legion vibes than W101 vibes from the gameplay, although that's obviously from the Legion mechanic itself. The combat seems like the ARPG-style of Automata (which Taura was the gameplay lead on) refined to have more Action and less RPG, keeping damage numbers as an aesthetic choice more than likely.

I’m playing Ninja Gaiden Black, Bayonetta, and DMC3 and enjoying them all in their own ways. What’s with all of the retarded back and forth?

Attached: IMG_5802.jpg (966x1457, 146K)

It makes sense but there are loopholes. It's hard to explain but all these games are focused on the abilities and powers of the main character. You can do the things you do because the character you play as is basically supernatural force in the world it inhabits. You do not build it to be that way, it's not some average/jane trying to survive or doing their job, you always start the games as certified badass and that's always the main focus of these games.

The loop hole is that then Doom is in the same genre as Ninja Gaiden.

Attached: Inferno.webm (900x506, 2.9M)

interesting that onimusha and DMC were both supposed to be RE4
why the fuck couldn't they settle on anything? Even then it still speaks to how different things were back then. These days they would have never scrapped development twice and still gotten 3 whole games out of the whole thing.

genres don't exist and what you call them is arbitrary and will never be agreed upon

People always want to argue about something. It doesn't help that most of the games in those series aren't or weren't multiplat which adds fuel to some level of 6th/7th gen console war undertones.

The three games and other action games on their level have different design philosophies, and some people don't realize that there isn't just one that's good with the rest being bad.

Attached: 1529349159114.png (500x525, 346K)

pre-emptive
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/468669452/#468693691
just in case he tries sneaking in

Crazy Action

tracing the chain around enemies = wonder liner
a huge part of high level W101 play is efficiently sending out groups to auto-combo and not just having everyone in one big 100man powerfist. Very similar to how we can send out legions autonomously.

execution will be pretty similar to W101, but this time switching legions is done entirely with toggles and shortcuts rather than having to draw stupid shapes.

Onimusha was not supposed to be RE4. Onimusha was it's own concept since the PS1.

youtube.com/watch?v=TWK4cRAfmOc

Attached: 1dc1289d16fdca7fbd5b160e1ac23428a7cfd938_hq.jpg (350x389, 18K)

honestly, what is the problem with just calling them action games? If someone wants a reccomendation on a good action game, just point them to one of these

I remember him shitting up a perfectly good TWEWY thread yesterday with his FFXV autism. Barry seriously needs to get laid or something.

The emphasis is on the character. The character has an expanded movelist unlike other action games and carries depth thaf sometimes exceeds that of a fighting game character. Its very simple to wrap your head around. Getting triggered over sub genres is brainlet shit

but doom is just "FPS" and whatever applicable subgenres you would like to apply. There is no reason you can't be a similar build of character in another genre, consider Mario would technically fall into this category as he can singlehanded defeat all of Bowser's armies when the MK military is pretty much defenseless against them.

lmao so basically it's not an action rpg but it is. thanks for agreeing with me

Its a lot more like someone explaining why genre nuance matters and how sub genres exist while the other person just wants to simplify it so they can argue about something

give me a full list of the suggested names and I'll make a strawpoll

Attached: 12-1552432735-473728864.png (1920x1080, 2.18M)

I really like spectacle fighter as a descriptor, so I use that.

Hack and slash / slasher or Beat em up for something like God Hand

that's stupid though and applies to way more games. tons of games have main characters like that and play nothing like bayo or dmc

i wouldnt say its an rpg becuase most of the upgrades you get are to give you new moves unlike an rpg like dark souls where all the upgrades are to increase stats

Nobody ever called Diablo hack and slash. I have my old pirated copy from the 90s and even that says Action RPG.

>a huge part of high level W101 play is efficiently sending out groups to auto-combo and not just having everyone in one big 100man powerfist. Very similar to how we can send out legions autonomously.
The way the Chain works outside of encircling the enemy doesn't seem super similar to the auto-attack groups or the Wonder Liner beyond a base level. Legions attacking autonomously does remind me of the Assist Unite Morphs (like drawing a Circle and pressing X to have a Unite Hand juggle an ememy while you stay as your current weapon).

Maybe I'm reluctant to just compare a game I haven't played to my personal favorite game. I'll be getting AC day 1 if possible because I honestly think if it does well then a W101 re-release is more likely.

why? "action game" is clearly going to win. it's the most widely used descriptor and it's simple enough to apply to all of these games. not to mention there are only 62 posters in this thread

I don't use the term myself. I was just explaining what i think it's trying to convey and how it can apply to other games that are not in the same genre. Also geez, that post was a mess.

no I just forgot to word my conclusion correctly
what I mean is that it is an ARPG only in the sense that the design for the game is directly derived from their previous ARPG titles, but since it lacks all the things that made those games RPGs it is therefore simply an action game with the same basic control scheme as their ARPGs.

an upgrade is an upgrade. who says they're limited to stats?

A better question is what the fuck do we call GTA clones? People still call them open world games and that just doesn't make sense anymore because everything is open world now. We should start calling them open city sims or open vehicular action or something I don't know. But not just open world games

This game splits the difference between whatever subgenre of action you're trying to name (many of its mechanics are variants on Bayonetta's), Third Person Shooters, and Loot-based Action RPGs. What the fuck do you call it? Keep in mind you also drive around a relatively open city during missions that take place in it and there are rail shooter sections.

Attached: 220px-Transformers_Devastation_cover_art.jpg (220x244, 34K)

because thats what distincts an rpg from an action game
Upgrades in rpgs increase stats like str or dex
Upgrades in action games give you new moves to use

I would leave action game out since it obviously applies but we're looking for a name for this subgenre of action games

I guarantee for whatever bs you can come up with, there's an RPG game that'll break the rule. There's no rule saying RPG games have to have branching skill trees that only affect stats. you guys are making your own rules up at this point. it's like I'm talking to smashfags

I know, that's why i said it!

Attached: The Ninja Inquisition.webm (1280x720, 2.9M)

Since we already have TPS why not just TPA, third person action

"Character action" is such a weird, awkward term, it sounds like a direct translation from a Japanese phrase or something. "Spectacle fighter" is better, although people could confuse it with fighting games. "Hack n slash" is just wrong. Diablo is a hack n slash.

Character action sounds dumb

What, as opposed to a first person action game?

Or 2

Boring

as opposed to first person action? what FPA games even exist?

I don't think they will be terribly similar games, after all W101 didn't have the RPG aspects. However, I don't think you can deny that those things in Astral Chain weren't influenced by the liner and assist morphs. These are the same developers, remember. They probably liked these ideas and thought they were be good to bring it back, especially for a game where the focus is on controlling multiple characters.

The tone and actual way you fight enemies won't be similar at all, this ain't a Kamiya game. I doubt we are going to have the same thing as W101 where you are hard coded to use certain abilities on certain enemies and everything else will bounce off. Since it has RPG aspects you will probably be able to use everything equally well with different advantages against certain enemies, but no "you have to break it with hammer first"

Yeah, like Dark Messiah, Zeno Clash, & Breakdown. I'm not him I just thought it would be interesting to point out they exist.

Attached: 1533529660892.png (1175x659, 430K)

>he wasn't here for cuhrazy general on /vg/
I miss it, bros....

Speaking as a guy who literally doesn't like any game in this genre, I refer to them as modern beat 'em ups. Is there any reason that term is inaccurate? It just seems like the 20XX version of old games like Final Fight and Battletoads

everyone has always called them "Sandbox" games and being open world doesn't necessarily mean you get a sand box.

>Ninja Gaiden 1 is an RPG ch-yeahk!

Attached: 1551701481924.jpg (703x742, 61K)

>at the very least are going to be managing stats, upgrades, equipment and builds for your characters.
It has those

>Sekiro
>Equipment
>Builds

lol

alright so we all agree to disagree? I hate all of you so fuck it I'm sticking with the generic "action game"

Slash 'em up.

Attached: 1535014806951.jpg (1168x1628, 409K)

Lets call them "Devil Mayonettas"

This.

>Not Devil Mayoninja

>Bayonetta
>Relevant

lol

3D Beat em up.
Hack and slash is a completely different genre with roots in RPGs.

Autism simulator.

Everything they put in that game is so half assed beside the combat gameplay understandably the game was made with a tight budget

kek

>Hack and slash is a completely different genre with roots in RPGs

and no one ever cared or cares still

more relevant than NG at this point. at least bayo is getting a sequel

Urban Crime simulator

I actually like "Mayonetta". Might start using that one

>at least bayo is getting a sequel
>he doesn't know

LMAO

That's more a question of "should they really be called RPGS?" rather than "are these other things RPGS?"
What games get considered RPGs by your definition, by simply having personal upgrade choices for your weapons and your HP, magic bars, abilities, etc?
>Every DMC
>Ninja Gaiden
>Bayonetta
>Godhand
>God of War
>Metal Gear Rising
>Muramasa: The Demon Blade
>Kid Icarus: Uprising
>DOOM '16
many others I can't think of off the top of my head, none are games anyone would ever consider an RPG

Here's another hard line: is there a limiter on your basic physical actions?
Soulsborne: you can only dodge/attack as your stamina allows. This goes for a lot of similar games.
Sekiro: you can dodge, sprint, and attack limitlessly as long as you are alive.
This even works for a game like FFXV, you MUST expend MP to dodge attacks.
Even a bethesda game counts because they are at least trying to follow the TRUE definition of an RPG, you build a character who gets to make decision about their own interactions with the game world and can immerse yourself into that character(except bethesda sucks at this)

I think they could've refined the loot system a little more or allowed you to craft or upgrade the Ranking of a weapon, but I thought the shooting was good. Enough to make playing as Wheeljack, who's built around guns, pretty fun at least, although I usually play Optimus, Sideswipe, and Grimlock.

Also the bosses are some of the best in the genre, period. The floating orb that you fight briefly in the city and then again in the underground ship is the only boss of the several in the game I'd call below an 8/10, and the Challenge mode pitting you against combiantions of bosses and Challenge-exclusive boss fights of the 5 Autobots makes them all the better. Plus Megatron 2&3 (if you count the beach and orbit fights as separate) are kino as fuck even outside of gameplay.

Attached: 1530888672639.gif (932x992, 288K)

>no weapons=brawler
>guns=shmup
>weapons=hack n slash
whats so fucking hard to understand?

Except DMC & Bayonetta have all three of those as primary weapon types; DMC from its inception has given you a sword and pistols as your first weapons and a set of gauntlets as one of your major weapons.

When I was a kid some sites called it slash em up.

It is not inaccurate, the only reason it doesn't get used is to not confuse it with a dead genre. What people would describe as "belt scrollers" except no one has unironically ever referred to them as such.
They are the natural evolution of such games into 3D and much better for it in most cases.

bayo 3 is happening, faggot. stay mad

That's why DMC games are Brawl n Shmup n Slash games

user, I think my point is that genres are totally arbitrary at this point because every new game is trying to blend genres

Attached: 756475746754.jpg (819x658, 136K)

fucking kek

Capcom and Kamiya officially designated it Stylish Action. Just call it Stylish Action.

>Bayo
shit
>GOW
casual
>DMC
good
>Ninja Gaiden
good

I know it's not the purpose of this thread, but here.

Honestly the most accurate term I have heard is
>HIGH ACTION
It emphasizes not only that the action is turned up to 11, but that the game will be more demanding and complex than a regular "Action" game. I used to see it used but haven't seen anyone mention it at all in the thread.

>Capcom and Kamiya

Who?

people have been blending forever, but no one calls Borderlands an RPG.

The original development studio and game director of Devil May Cry, the progenitor of this specific subgenre of action, hack and slash, beat em up style game.

this one is good too. add it to the strawpoll

not him but what the hell does kamiya call these games?

You're making the terrible mistake of assuming NuDMCfags care about the origins of the series or even the original game.

>*Blocks your path*

Attached: 85810-soul-of-the-samurai-playstation-front-cover.jpg (800x787, 127K)

He calls them Hack n' Slash.

The guy who created the genre with the first Devil May Cry calls them Hack n' Slash.

Attached: hideki_kamiya_thumbs_up.jpg (1280x720, 100K)

I mean, I guess there you have it, hack n slash games it is. about as official as anything

He calls them Stylish Action

D
DISMAL

>Blocks YOUR path by releasing a month earlier and having stage rankings such as "Bitchin'!" 2 years before DMC1 released
>Also has a main theme sung by Hironobu Kageyama in Japan and an English theme that somehow is just as good despite not having Hironobu Kageyama

Attached: 220px-Rising_Zan[1].jpg (220x215, 17K)

Go to discord. It's where all those spergs went and now their autism has been amplified tenfold. Some are guaranteed to be here right now.

source?

I felt the need to post a game i played. From what i know of that it actually fits a lot better than what i picked.

In terms of what the games actually are, they're 3D beat-em-ups (or, if weapon-based, you could call them 3D hack & slash). If you want to be specific and segregate these games from other 3D beat-em-ups/hack & slashes that have less combat depth, difficulty, and/or personality (such as musous), you can call them "stylish action". "Character action" and "spectacle fighter" are retarded names.

>*teleports behind you*
>"heh nothing personel kid"
>*Moves in front of you and *blocks your path* *

Attached: T'ai_Fu_-_Wrath_of_the_Tiger.jpg (847x1167, 250K)