Any good classical fps 1999-2005 pc games?

Any good classical fps 1999-2005 pc games?

Attached: 2343545.jpg (480x360, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/dgeng/iwad
fvfonline.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=UqRR_eiQSsI
youtube.com/watch?v=XSvqmnAkJ4w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Half-Life 2?

he said good

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

FEAR?

Soldier of Fortune

TimeSplitters
Rainbow Six 3
Postal 2
Serious Sam TSE
SWAT 4
also
>1999-2005
>Doom

That's pretty fucking specific, user.

Deus Ex, System Shock 2 just fit in that timeframe.
Call of Duty 1 and 2. The first one was a PC exclusive, believe it or not.
I'll re-recommend FEAR.
Doom... 3? Maybe? Sort of? Kinda? It was okay?

for me, it's blood

Gaylo

> POPULAR GAME BAD
Nice to see there are people who dislike a game for the single reason that too many people like it, which means you have a refined taste by definition. Because as everyone knows, if something is popular, it's automatically bad quality, because most people are plebs who have bad taste and can't tell a good game from a bad one. Fortunately there are a few enlightened gamers who can only appreciate obscure games. I wish there were more gamers like you!

Painkiller isn't bad

TimeSplitters 2 is an amazing game. I really have a very low tolerance for console FPSs because I suck at them but I've played the shit out of it.

Painkiller

First half of the noughties is "classical"?

Fuck yeah Timespliters. Man I miss that ridiculous, over the top, arcadey game play that games used to have. I wish they'd make a new Timespliters and SSX in the style of the early 2000's.

I assumed the question was "classic-style FPS released in the early 00's". That is, not Halo or Call of Duty.

Quake 4, Prey.

Prey was like 2005 wasn't it?

No one lives forever, I love everything about these games, from the writing, setting, music and gameplay.
Gameplay is a weird mix of fps, stealth and exploration.
Makes me sad we'll never see a third game or even remaster
Everyone should play these at least once as well

Attached: the-operative-no-one-lives-forever_13.jpg (800x600, 87K)

pc didnt have fps games until like 2009

Was this your attempt at a joke?

less of a joke than this thread

pc wasn't real until 2015

Attached: 1561259637116.png (1592x989, 521K)

how will pcfags ever recover???

Soldier of Fortune

I'm actually about to play NOLF 1/2 again. Haven't played them since I had an old shitbox so hopefully it works out alright

Retard

Gotem

Hard Reset is a nice throwback to late 90s FPS

Kingpin

Not OP but what are some FPS games that everyone should play? I'm wondering if I've missed a gem somehow.

Blood: one unit whole blood, or its redux on steam:
Blood: Fresh Supply
The best levels and best shotgun I have ever played

Attached: blood shotgun.gif (400x283, 153K)

Doom
Dark Forces
Heretic
Amid Evil
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Gggmanlives reviewed a lot of good classic FPS, go look them up

Deus Ex, the real one.

>Can't find a good Doom link anymore

Attached: 1562647086159.jpg (160x88, 5K)

I've played Blood 2 but never the first one. Any reason to go with the original over redux?
Amid Evil seems interesting, thanks.
Your taste in vidya is augmented.

What do you mean?

>on steam
They can be bought on gog you dumb steam-drone

well, it doesn't matter, you can't buy the old version on steam anymore, but if you buy the redux it has the old dosbox version.
Fresh Supply is good, it had a rough launch but got a ton of fixes and made everything the way it should be.
ok

B-b-but Gabe is based and trading cards are sooooooo cool and HATS and skins that cost money is also fucking BASED.

A good torrent. Steam version is shit. VG link is shit. GZdoom site is shit.

>best shotgun I have ever played

This man has not played Soldier of Fortune.

>and made everything the way it should be
It's still just as janky as the other "ports" but in different ways. Ignoring its flaws is disingenuous. user.

>torrenting doom wads
Literally google it.
github.com/dgeng/iwad

Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen, and Shadow Warrior (classic) are all great. I'd also recommend Receiver if you want something a little bit different.

I actually havn't played since the updates have happened thats what i've been hearinf from people

the first blood is just as iconic as DN3D if you havent played it you need to. Also check out Rise of the Triad

Unironically based

An important piece of advice if recommending Blood: Learn to play smart. Peek out, see what there is, pop back. Because Blood's initial enemies hitscan. And do a fuckload of damage. And they're the most common enemies in the game. So you don't want to be playing like Doom.

Eradicator - very good mechanics, leveldesign kinda blows.
Powerslave Build/PC version (not Ex) - very good level-design, mechanics kinda blows.
OG Quake on nightmare, duh.
Fucking Cybermage from basedboi Bradley (Wizardry 5-7, Wizards&Warriors) - play on hard, keyboard-only, skip the tutorial level, it sucks ass.
Fucking FarCry 1on realistic difficulty with AI adaptation off. Stuff's fucking diamonds. Easily one of the most nerve-wrecking games I've ever played. Also Rebellion and Volcano are glorious.
W-else. Dunno. TRON2.0, I guess? Watch the movie (old one) first if need be).

Oh, yeah, also HeXen 1 (addon is good too). Fukn great. I recommend mage on the highest difficulty.

Aight thanks, I'll check the redux out.
Receiver looks interesting enough, thanks. Played the other ones, of course.

What's good about it?

Oh, 199-9, not 199-5.
Welp, sorry then.

Canals chapter has genuinely memorable and evocative design (despite stupid gamey shit like that flying "bomber"), for example.

>if something is popular, it's automatically bad quality, because most people are plebs who have bad taste and can't tell a good game from a bad one
This but unironically

THE GOAT
they kinda are, between halflife 1 and 2/doom 3 etc they employed the classic design while trying to make the environments more realistic or immersive

Attached: 29179-descent-i-and-ii-the-definitive-collection-dos-front-cover.jpg (800x704, 119K)

Also, attack on Nova Prospect (the outdoor part), despite being "gimmick: the level" is genuinely memorable as well.
And, of course, Citadel (this time around, the indoor part). Shame about the last boss though.

I mean, even design-wise, HL2 is an uneven as fuck game. But I do genuinely adore at the very least those three segments I listed. I wonder whether they had the same person calling the shots on them.

Oh, thanks!-
>Half Life 1 texture packs

Attached: 1561674554756.png (252x224, 16K)

>evocative
take your gamasutra article buzzwords and go back to where you came from

Just download doom2.wad and use whatever source port you want

Don't be, thanks for the recs, user.

Those are all pre-99.
Quake 3 was 99.

BASED

>Half Life 1 texture packs
This is a jest, right?
Use a source port to run the iwads. GzDoom, PrBoom, Chocolate Doom, Doom Retro, whatever. The iwads are the games' resources; you just need a (free and publicly downloadable) engine for it.

Attached: doomguy contemplates.png (500x380, 126K)

Can you really expect an anime poster to have a brain?

Clive Barker's Undying is bretty dope

Attached: 1968_4ff937a0e8f86.jpg (800x600, 114K)

The shotgun is actually one of the better weapons to rely on in Blood because it works well with peeking and shooting. Trying to use the Tommy gun on any of the hitscan enemies will just end up with you probably taking even more damage than you're dishing out.

It's a balance problem in the game that even one of the devs admitted but it can be worked around.

I hated playing this until I got the scythe weapon and more powers, and by that point I just wanted to finish the game. It's too bad because the setting is decent.

Lizbeth was cute

This game was fucking awesome when I was a kid

Attached: 5280436.jpg (419x600, 84K)

don't buy retro game on steam they barely work and you need to fix them yourself
gog release are ok

Actually I just figured this out and it's fucking amazing. Thanks user.

Attached: 1562258128779.jpg (132x218, 14K)

MODERN ARTS AND FEAR BOOKS

Attached: 1544196738299.gif (106x118, 7K)

wtf i'm a console gamer now

>TimeSplitters
PC games, can you guys read ?????
fucking chumps

Attached: 1552107545666.jpg (465x700, 42K)

aliens vs predator 1 and 2
g-nome
s.c.a.r.a.b
Quake future vs fantasy fvfonline.com/

Attached: Sniper3.jpg (100x100, 7K)

ts2 runs fine on pcsx2 even with a toaster

cringe

I wouldn't say HL2 is bad, but a lot of what made it seem great when it was released were the improvements on physics, face animations, and vehicles compared to HL1. Those things might not seem as great today because people have gotten used to the improvements.

No One Lives Forever

>on gog
They can be bought on steam you dumb gog-drone

I played through the first three levels of F.E.A.R. and it was one of the most boring FPS experiences I've ever had.

The weapons feel and sound good and all, but everything else was just terrible. The level design was just visually so bland, with a lot of dark factories, docks and hallways. There was no music to speak of. And all enemies were basically the same soldier enemies.

I'm sure there will be a lot more enemy variety in the game later on, but it left such a terrible first impression that I honestly can't bother to come back to it. It doesn't help that the player's "running" speed is so fucking miserably slow.

Deus ex

Involved melee and movement system is meant to be used to the fullest. No other real enemy types by design. It's a mechanical experience through to the core.

> No other real enemy types by design.
Seriously? What about the supernatural enemies? Like do you ever fight any ghost-type enemies or vampire-type enemies like that bad dude you meet in the prologue? How can a game with horror elements have no supernatural enemies? It can't possibly all just be soldiers.

MASTER LIST OF FPS GAMES EVERYONE SHOULD PLAY

Doom 1 or 2
Heretic or Hexen
a STALKER game
a FEAR game (not 3)
Half-Life 1 or 2
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
a Serious Sam game
Quake 1 or 2

It's all soldiers. There's a couple of drones that show up later, a horrible section with ghosts right towards the end, like two ninjas that die immediately and a couple of mechs if you get the DLC.

I like FEAR a lot, but it came from playing it on max and just figuring out new ways to push the mechanics. It's a very particular type of game in that regard.

>Doom 1 or 2
This, especially with Brutal Doom or Project Brutality. It just elevates the experience to another level.

No baits in my thread please, cheers

Deus Ex
System Shock 2
No One Lives Forever
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Half-Life 2
Portal
Soldier of Fortune
Shogo (I know it's 1998)
Clive Barker's Undying (Amazing Horror game)
Hidden & Dangerous 1&2 if you're into tactical shooters.

> Future vs Fantasy is still kicking

Nice. I've played the fuck out of that mod.

Heretic is kinda shit
System Shock should be mandatory as well
Serious Sam sucks ass
Where the fuck is Blood

>a FEAR game (not 3)
Fear 2 is just a run of the mill console shooter. It's like recommending a Battlefield campaign.

You want at least one Build Engine game on there. Duke Nukem is the go-to but Blood gets its dick sucked on the regular.

You didn't figure it out. Two people told you that.

I don't understand the hate brutaldoom gets. The latest version is pretty good. Been playing since the 90s but it adds some fun.

I LIVE

Makes the game too easy, plus the creator is a massive dick.

>No multiplayer
PC wins.

>Heretic or Hexen
>Half-Life 1 or 2

They're completely different games and only one of each pair is good.

turok 2
>inb4 but this game was made in 98!

Battlefield 3 campaign was pretty stylish. Directed by "Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher's Bay" and "The Darkness" (1) game director, if I am not mistaken, as well.

Blood...

based and redpilled

I hate you.

BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED BASED

Attached: 1561412649426.jpg (828x573, 145K)

It's a cute novel overhaul, but it doesn't add enough actual gameplay value to survive the novelty wearing off, plus all the community butting heads with the modder.

Anyone interested in Witchfire? Same dude who directed Painkiller is in charge of this.

youtube.com/watch?v=UqRR_eiQSsI
youtube.com/watch?v=XSvqmnAkJ4w

If you wanna complain about making shit too easy, check out Russian Overkill

its actually the only way i can beat those slaughter maps

Pretty interested, but the wheels of development grind slowly. It was announced 2 years ago.

TimeSplitters is the best FPS made by mankind to date. Its also a fucking console game.

Yeah, it's taking a bit too long to come out. There isn't even a full gameplay trailer out yet, just these development snippets here and there.

I hope they come out with a demo. I'd love to see how it plays. In his blogs, the director is making it really clear that the game is being inspired by Dark Souls, so I hope that influence is positive rather than negative.

>Deus Ex
>Half Life 2
>MGS 1 - 3
>GTA / VC / SA
>Jedi Outcast
>Star Trek: Elite Force
>Grim Fandango
>KOTOR
>Portal
>DOOM 3
>StarCraft
>Sim City 2000
>The Sims

>Ctl-F Unreal Tournament

I am disappoint son

Attached: o7nv0r674r1z.png (800x600, 7K)

You can play it on dolphin with a mouse + keyboard. Same with Metroid Prime Trilogy and Nightfire.
If you extend that back to 1996:
>Quake
>Quake 2
>Half-life
>Doom64
>NOLF 2
>Timesplitters 2
>Perfect Dark
>Halo CE
>Halo 2
>Fear
>Far Cry