Monster Hunter: World

I just picked this game up the other week, at the behest of a long-distance friend of mine. I'm looking for ways to improve at it, any tips? I'm looking for ways to focus on support-play, while still dealing my share of damage.

Attached: images (2).jpg (300x168, 12K)

>I'm looking for ways to focus on support-play
Don't do this. There are technically support focused builds, but good teams don't need them and are better served by the additional dps of a damage-focused build.
For general tips:
>your weapon choice doesn't really matter that much, beyond hammers and horns being best for KO and being unable to cut tails (technically horns can cut tails but it's a bitch, don't do that)
>find a weapon that suits your playstyle and that you can use effectively
>but don't be afraid to switch if you're having a rough time, some weapons don't pair up well against certain monsters
>learn to abuse the fuck out of the superman dive
>with weapon sheathed, sprint AWAY from monster and dodge -> dive with a metric shitton of iframes
>if a monster's attack knocks you down on your ass, often times it is better to stay down due to being invulnerable while on the ground
>always always always eat a fucking meal before you leave for your hunt
>early on take meals that give extra health
>later take meals that give skills, elemental resists, or both, and use consumables to get extra health
>you'll unlock an NPC that can grow herbs and other shit for you passively in between hunts--use this to great effect, if you invest in it you can stay topped up on the best potions without ever having to manually harvest a thing
>eventually you can have your palico do a similar thing, passively gathering random materials between missions--this is mostly a waste of time and currency
>check the bounty folks after every hunt, and try to take bounties that match up with whatever you're doing--it's basically free shit
>completing a full set of weekly bounties is highly recommended if possible, awards a voucher that can be used to purchase rare materials
>the endgame is an abysmal rng shitfest that will either kill your enjoyment of the game or tickle your lizard brain and give you tons of playtime

Just pick a weapon you like, you healslut faggot

This.
But if you must, play Hunting Horn or SwordnShield with Wide-Range armor skill.

No such thing as focused support in MH, you are meant to be a main damage source with ANY weapon type.

BUT, HH can cast buffs for everyone, just make sure to always attack and buff at the same time don't be a corner horner no one likes those.

SnS used to have the upper hand on item use (not anymore tho) so you could spam healing and stuff like that with wide range, however SnS also requires an aggressive as all fuck play style to work so you can't focus on healing unless is extremely necessary.

Hammer as the name implies is meant to deal huge ass damage but it also exhaust and stuns monsters so that's kinda support I guess? and the best part is that you won't even try to play support you will just be playing as usual.

Finally LBG, LBG is a clusterfuck of a weapon and can be played in several ways one of those ways is on support, not recommended unless you know exactly what you are doing and have a coordinated group, if done correctly shit's top fucking tier if done incorrectly you will be wasting time, money and resources.

Okay, cool. I was focusing on the glaive, because it felt like a good close-to-midrange weapon that would be useful in any scenario. But I can start practicing with the Horn if that will help more in support.

>I'm looking for ways to focus on support-play,
worry about that when you can solo a monster in a time you're comfortable with
Soloing a monster allows you to fail and experiment and more or less get used to dodging attacks or not relying on your fellow hunters
Doing solo hunts in reasonable times also means you aren't a detriment to your team
The best way to support your fellow hunters is to pull your own weight
And then when you get used to playing with other hunters, you can more or less tell if they're horrible, in which case you can consider bringing support skills to heal teammates with to make up for their weaknesses, but still having the skills to ensure you pick up the slack

horn sucks, don't use it
even a HAMMER is a better support weapon if you know how to uppercut your team

>the endgame is an abysmal rng shitfest that will either kill your enjoyment or tickle your lizard brain and give you tons of playtime
Anyone mind explaining for someone who isn't too far in?

Attached: _nergigante_and_paolumu_monster_hunter_world_and_etc_drawn_by_usagihime_22657f35282cd78383d793294c1a (1340x2000, 1.86M)

barring some event quests getting a decoration you want can be a real pain in the ass

So I should just focus on dealing damagez and not worry about buffing the team? How good are bowguns in that regard? What about glaives?

Just port 4u over to switch so I can never leave my house again

Honestly?
Just fucking kill yourself

Endgame makes you farm shit for minmaxing builds and by the time you have them you already lost interest in the game.
Luckily you can circumvent it easily by just modding in tedious shit like decorations and arena coins.

bowguns and bows don't compare to melee
LBG is for instance comically cheesy in KulveTaroth (the only monster that seems to have element weaknesses that matter)
Melee wise Lance and Gunlance are for playing safe and learning dodgeboxes (but still playing safe)
and the most competitive DPS across the board tends to be either CB or LS

once you beat the main story and check out the seasonal events and get done with that shit eventually there'll be nothing left to do but to farm tempered monsters for charms and streamstones to complete whatever minmaxed builds you want.

eventually you'll find out that there's like one or two specific charms you need that you don't have yet to finish your build and lo and behold they have shit drop rates

you'll also want to augment your weapon because that shit's incredibly useful. for this you need to hunt tempered/archtempered elder dragons (beefed up versions of the game's big boi late game monsters) and pray to rng that you not only get a warrior's/hero's streamstone (an already abysmal chance), but one for the specific weapon category you're using. using a top tier longsword but get a warrior's streamstone for bow? fuck you! back to the grind!

there's also an entire boss dedicated to rng loot: kulve taroth. it's not always available, the event has to be running. basic rundown is that there's this big angry golden bitch and you need to break her horns in a multi hunt "siege". after you break her horns you'll get an assortment of weapon drops, the amount of which depend on how the siege went. typically, one of the kulve taroth weapons (especially the arch-tempered, which is a separate fucking event) will be best in class.

it's usually at this point that people figure out if they're going to get 60 or 6000 hours out of the game. still recommend playing through as pretty much everyone will vouch that the game is fun until it hits that point. after that it's mostly dependent on whether you personally like the core gameplay enough to slog through the grind.

also keep in mind that this is only if you're really wanting to "finish" the game and minmax the fuck outta your build for speedrunning or just to do it. if you wanna chill and kill some monsters online as long as you don't cart a bunch and do ok damage no one who's not autistic will give a shit.

Attached: 1342784319117.jpg (480x360, 16K)

I'd still be playing GU if hyper monsters weren't so bullshit wih their health inflation

>want a set
>requires hyper monster parts
>immediately discount it

Like I farmed hyper gore a bit and it took me like 40 mins. I fought hyper rajang ONCE and i ran out of all ammo and the timer almost ran out but THANKFULLY i got exactly what I needed.

I don't mind the attack increase but the health increase is just ridiculous. G Jho is 12k, already pretty inflated, but hyper jho is 21k. Ridiculous.

KT wouldnt be so bad if it were actually fun
for instance with gogmazios if you get sick and tired of beatsticking it you can rely on the siege cart+democannon and it's great fun

or how about deviants
>do tier I thru X however many times you need a ticket for a piece
>have to fight a deviant monster upwards of 80 times just to complete a set

1. Health boost is king. Don‘t bother with mix-matching for any other skills with low rank armor because they‘re not worth your time.
2. Each weapon has some advantage/disadvantage over certain monsters; DB is god tier when monster‘s has low reachable weakpoints, but completely trash against tall monster such as arga; All diablo attacks can actually be blocked or parried etc. You will inevitably get stuck at some point but maybe thats mostly because you‘re using an unideal weapon. Also elemental damage does not make *that much* of a differences compare to raw so don‘t worry about it for now.
3. When you‘re hit, don‘t panic. Stay on the ground and only climbs back up when the monster has done with its animation. When you‘re on the ground you got a couple seconds of invulnerability until you press x so make good use of that.

How do I quit being a shitter with long sword?

Attached: mhwls.png (640x399, 195K)

>DB is god tier when monster‘s has low reachable weakpoints
so basically no monster in the game past HR29
>until you press x so make good use of that
the mouse and keyboard controls are actually good why use a controller
>Each weapon has some advantage/disadvantage over certain monsters;
lolno some weapons are just shit (SnS, HH, DB) and some weapons aren't (LS, GS, CB)
worry less about hitting the monster and more about not missing your foresight slash's dodge

By playing a game where LS wasn't ruined and turned into a caveman stick.

should elaborate
match the monster's opening with your attacks
the Overhead and fade slashes for instance are slow as hell, but if you're playing it safe just use the poke/uppercut slashes because those come out fast and you should be in "any split second now i need to dodge" mode
i still can't believe it gets a fancy new counter back from generations while other weapons get shit bound to the new clutch claw thing

KT would be pretty cool if phase 1 and 2 didn't exist and you just fight her starting in phase 3

Watch Japanese TA's

I'm not that interested in late-game content. I just want to be useful as support for by friend in the main game. I cab worry about speccing fornoate-game later.

Right now I'm focusing on the glaive and gunlance as secondary DPS, these feel like good uses of my time, and match my tanky-playstyle. Any tips on maximizing my style with these two weapons?

MH doesn’t need or even have support options. The closest is the Hunting Horn, and even that is still very much about DPS. There aren’t any class archetypes to fill in MH, you just pick the weapon you think is most fun and go with it.

or if phase 1 and 2 weren't fucking ass with shitty ass mechanics like
>sniff her feet while getting pummeled by those gaja faggots
or
>lol she ran away go swinging around because we're padding for time while giving you little time even though we supposedly gave you 50 minutes
they've done so many other good monsters too like the Fatalises, the ceadeus (admittedly obnoxious the 5th time you hunt the damn thing) and even the dalamadur you have to wonder why they thought a wild fucking goose chase 2-4 times in a row just to get the rewards once at the END of a string of 2-4 hunts was a good idea
Not to fucking mention
>in an 11 man room
>faggot joins the lobby, takes your spot and your squad leaves without you and you're left in the dust while the reward level resets

By using a better weapon

You aren't grinding for charms, you're grinding for decorations. It's actually worse.
Getting stream stones is possible from T2 monsters, doesn't have to be elders. There the drop rate is abysmal but it's fine on elders and guaranteed on tempered elders or deviljho. Of course getting the ones you need is another thing entirely.
AT Kulve is not a separate event. It's not even a seperate hunt, you just have to meet certain conditions to "upgrade" the regular hunt. I recommend no one even touches Kulve for any reason apart from the layered armors anymore though since all of those weapons should be outclassed fairly quickly once Iceborne rolls around.

>>faggot joins the lobby, takes your spot and your squad leaves without you and you're left in the dust while the reward level resets
I'm guilty of this lmao, waiting around in the gathering hub waiting for the quest to reach p4 and stealing somebodies spot

Scummy as it is I'm talking the faggot who comes in outta nowhere and does it
Reminds me of when I used to play on 3DS and these fucking pedro fucks would come in while you're taking turns posting with some dudes and fuckerino comes in, posts his shit and goes
>ayuda?
>help
or some shit or is a je suis motherfucker
rude cunts the lot of them

LS deals mediocre dps but still high tier solely because of the foresight slash mechanic. You don‘t have to switch if you don‘t want to.

Man i just wish i could reliably play 4U on a big screen with a proper controller. 4U citra still isn't something I feel confident dedicating hundress of hours too. It also shits itself and goes 1 fps every introductory cutscene.

Okay... So any advice on using the Gunlance? It's my best weapon so far. Apart from the glaive... Which I don't much care for, because it feels like a "sidekick" weapon.

Just watch CaoSlayer's guide

Stop using long sword

Ignore them. They mean POST game min-maxing. If you're just playing thru the game and story with a bro this will probably never apply to you.