GAME OF THE DECADE

With the 2010s coming to a close, we can all agree pic related is the game of decade. Right, Yea Forums?

Attached: ghost trick.jpg (1573x1422, 891K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/usqdCphyM2o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

there are only 2 choices for game of the decade

super mario maker 2
OR
portal 2

Agreed, OP.

Outta the way for the actual best game of the decade.

Attached: LISA The Painful RPG.jpg (460x215, 71K)

Definitely one of the best games of the decade. THE BEST? I'm not sure, but a definite contender.

I didn’t knew Yea Forums have such a good taste

Attached: AAC9A82F-8B33-473D-B676-98F6F9197236.jpg (736x1131, 131K)

Ghost Trick is very good and I quite enjoyed it

But it simply doesn't hold up when viewing it in the context of "best games"
Guaran-goddamn-tee everyone who has ever said Ghost Trick is the best anything said so almost if not entirely based on how effective the finale of the story is.

Without the narrative, Ghost Trick as a game is equivalent to a Flash puzzle game. It's not very difficult to figure out, it's not very long, and once you know the solutions, the game really isn't a game anymore.

Because of this, I personally don't see any reason to play Ghost Trick ever again, even though I really liked it.
And I game I don't want to play again can never be the best at anything.

What makes this game special? Why everyone like it?

bayonetta is better, QTE's aside.

>indie shit
you reek of reddit

Bayonetta isn't from this decade

form wikipedia: Bayonetta[b] is an action-adventure hack and slash video game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Sega. The game was originally released for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in Japan in October 2009, and in North America and Europe in January 2010.
don't lie and pretend it being released in 2009 as a weeb game makes it a 2009 game. we played it in 2010, its a 2010 game.

No clue. Never played it.

yes

What is it with the DS and having literal works of art on it

>a shitty quest with clearly dropped plotlines and a story worse than a typical seasonal anime
Even Yea Forums's contrarian hipstershit tastes cannot describe why this pile of shit is fellated so hard here.

Attached: 1372940722235.gif (100x100, 80K)

I can agree with that actually, it's one of the most perfect games I've ever played.

Hard disagree. A game is more than the sum of its parts. Just because you can remove the gameplay in isolation and be like "well, I don't see any Devil May Cry 3 tier combat" doesn't make it a valid argument.

Ghost Trick's gameplay is very original; the novelty carries it pretty far, and the gameplay mixes with the slick, smoothly animated presentation excellently. Wrap it up with the great music and absolutely phenomenal plot and you have a fantastic package.

I feel the same way about Katamari Damacy. Its core gameplay is simple, but very original, and together with its evocative soundtrack and insane amounts of soul and polish, it feels like such a perfect trip that makes you feel so much with so little. Katamari is one of the best games of the 2000's.

youtu.be/usqdCphyM2o

Its like seeing a dual screen and mic made some developers push themselves really hard to make a great game that was perfect for the console

>I feel the same way about Katamari Damacy.
But Katamari's gameplay offers a significant amount more than Ghost Trick.

Katamari's basic concept is novel, but it's structure is classic arcade score attack. There's depth there that can keep the game going on the merits of its gameplay alone.

If you remove the aesthetic appeal of Ghost Trick, the GAME in this video game doesn't hold up.
It's good the first time through, and then that's it.

And I cannot in good conscience sing the praises of a video game which fails as a game.
I can tell you it's a great story
I can tell you it has great music
I can tell you it looks good
But if you want me to say it's one of the best puzzle games, one of the best adventure games, one of the best DS games, let alone one of the best games of this decade, I simply cannot.

Because the GAME here is as simple and shallow as it can possibly be.

>It's good the first time through, and then that's it.
All puzzle games work like that, it's simply a fact of the genre.
Holding that against it is retarded.

I'm gonna 100% agree that the overall story was barely fucking coherent to say the least.

But man, those charming, lively characters, that delicious animation, that wonderful art style and music, those theatrical set pieces, that absolutely fucking perfect blend of story and gameplay... It's not even close to a 10/10 for me personally but I can see why for some people it could be.

>>a shitty quest
Explain what you mean by that though.

>It's good the first time through, and then that's it.
Replay value is overrated. If a game is 10/10 the first time through, it's 10/10, end of story.

It's not the game's fault that you can't afford to buy more than one game.

Let me try to explain what I mean

The puzzles in Ghost Trick don't really require the same kind of puzzle solving other games might

Take 999 for example
The puzzles in that game are more complex, and the interaction with the puzzle allows the player to make a variety of moves on their way to the solution.

In Ghost Trick, nothing happens until you achieve the next "step" on the destined path to progress.
Each puzzle is just a sequence of events that must be triggered in order, and once you've done it, because the entire thing revolves around the story, you're probably going to remember how things go.

I can go back and play 999 and still work my brain on these puzzles, but for Ghost Trick, I can't say the same thing.
The gameplay, at that point, just becomes a roadblock to the story.

This is an example of linearity harming a game's lasting appeal.
I'm not the kind of guy who wants "replayability" like a review score prerequisite where I think "this game doesn't have two endings, F for replayability"
All my favorite games that I've played tons of times are linear adventures. Fuckin' Sly 2 is in my top 3.

But Ghost Trick is a different kind of linear. It's incredibly controlled and precise, the player has very little room to actually "play" the game.

Attached: 1548629370566.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

Guys please. Lisa is great for an indie game but c'mon.

Okay, I get what you mean, but I prefer the puzzles in Ghost Trick simply because the puzzles and thus the gameplay are completely in line with the story. You're actually doing what the character is trying to do in the story, while in games like 999, all puzzles could be replaced by random other puzzle and nothing would change. I mean, the final puzzle was a fucking sudoku ffs. The puzzles almost feel random and end up ruining the immersion. It's like the tube puzzles in Bioshock or the random puzzles in Layton, if you want the most extreme example.

>blocks your path

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 61K)

Let's be honest you're not playing ghost trick for the puzzles and shit you're playing it for the phenomenal story, art, music, characters, etc.

>I mean, the final puzzle was a fucking sudoku ffs
Sudoku is a 9x9 grid where you fill each 3x3 grid with numbers up to 9, there literally isn't a better puzzle for this game's finale

Also 999 establishes basic rules that are applied to a variety of its puzzles like base-10 which keep them from feeling as if they come out of nowhere (something VLR and ZTD didn't even bother with)

Yeah, but the puzzles are part of the story. Most of them are seamlessly integrated into the story, unlike in games like 999, where you have to solve a puzzle and it doesn't have anything to do with the story.

>Sudoku is a 9x9 grid where you fill each 3x3 grid with numbers up to 9, there literally isn't a better puzzle for this game's finale
Thematically appropriate, but still disconnected from the game.
If you're playing Call of Duty and suddenly the game stops and gives you a brainteaser about soldiers rationing their food during war, it's appropriate theming but still removed from the game's world.

Yeah sure the Nonary game is all about solving challenges to survive but also they were never in any danger lmao and all, but from a game design standpoint it's still easy to throw in an unrelated puzzle rather than intertwine it with the game's world and environments, which Ghost Trick does far better than Zero Escape

>intertwine it with the game's world and environments, which Ghost Trick does far better
At the expense of its gameplay's complexity and lasting appeal

For puzzle games especially this is an incredibly difficult balance to strike and Ghost Trick misses the mark

Puzzle games never had much replayability due to their nature. Once you've beaten a puzzle game, you simply know how to solve the puzzles. If throwing in random puzzles is your remedy, then I'd much rather the game doesn't have any replayability and instead has unique and thematically fitting puzzles for my first and only playthrough.

You haven't played nearly enough games this decade, I'm sorry. It's an amazing game, but not the greatest.

Then why post? You're like those geezers on Amazon who "answer" questions by saying "I don't know".
Not sure if I agree with "game of the decade", but it's easily a 10/10 for me.