Was it really that bad?

Was it really that bad?

Attached: 800px-N64_donkeykong64.jpg (800x585, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GlNhSoX5UZ0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no, but...

It's a decent game in a casual playthrough but going for 100% will make u hate video games

No not at all. Beat it with my neighbor down the street and had a blast the entire way.

This is the one where you need to be a certain character to get certain collectibles right? Fuck that.

I just beat it 101% today. I overall enjoyed it but some parts were absolutely fucking infuriating.

Game's memorable, but the triple+ backtracking kills the replay value.

Yes.

It had a shitload of backtracking with slow characters on a game that ran at a miserably slow freamerate.

stage tier list

Fungi Forest
Creepy Castle
Frantic Factory
Angry Aztec
Jungle Japes
Crystal Caves
Gloomy Galleon

>DKC was good because of fast, responsive movement and inventive level design mechanics
>Totally get rid of that philosophy in DK64 and turn it into slow boring shit

Biggest disappointment ever. If they actually made a game that followed on the principles of DKC it could've easily surpassed the appeal of Mario 64, which was the only real 3D platformer to with actual platforming anyway. The thing that you have to understand with a lot of games that are labeled as 3D platformers don't have much to do with platforming at all - they're collectathons. They're games about exploring a 3D world, and it is more like an action/exploration game than skill or movement-based challenges. Collectathons and 3D platformers (Mario 64) aren't really the same genre. Donkey Kong 64 should've been a platformer, not a collectathon.

Attached: super_mario_64_jumping.jpg (626x452, 132K)

Hell no, there's plenty of other good DK games thats why this one doesn't get affection, Banjo Tooie on the other hand is terrible, but is only liked because there's only a few Banjo games, when you backtrack in DK64 to switch kongs, it takes a few seconds, in Banjo Tooie, it takes hours, every thing is at a slow rate in tooie, while DK actually has plenty of collectables to create a sense of progression, DK64 has 200 golden bananas, which means you'll collect one every few minutes, while in tooie it takes so god damn log of jiggies forcing you to backtrack to other worlds because of that damn train.

DK64 has a lot of complex movements that gives you a lot of freedom, DK can kick jump to get to so many places faster, I love the movement system, everyone just slides around perfectly

No one who actually played it when it was new thinks it's bad it's just dumb zoomers who think they're experts on game design.

It wasn't until this year.

>fixes ur game
youtube.com/watch?v=GlNhSoX5UZ0

This game was so fucking long I made it Gloomy Galleon, and then quit. Wish I knew that was the final area.

No but this The game itself isn't bad but has some problems maybe they were a little too ambitious and so RARE threw too much stuff into it for a single game. More or less the opposite of "empty and barren" which wasn't for the better.

It doesn't because certain areas are made around the idea that only certain Kongs can access them.

So only switch when you need to

Of course you can do that, but it also makes it possible to break certain parts of the game.

This is actually pretty accurate, user. I normally hate Egypt levels but this one was bearable.

It being based on Aztecs instead of Egyptians may have had something to do with it.

Rank them:
>Gobi's Valley
>Mayahem Temple
>Angry Aztec

yeah kind of, I love it but it's pretty objectively bad in a lot of ways

I think that's the right order.

this unironically makes the game 100% more playable.

thank you for posting it, now Yea Forums has 0 reasons to not play it, well, besides not playing videogames at all.

if you use this it defeats the whole purpose of the game, may as well just not play period. There were enough kong barrels around the levels you guys are just ADHD ridden impatient bitches

better than majoras mask thats for damn sure

Pretty spot on

Attached: 1486433983287.jpg (1024x576, 51K)

>This is why we can't have nice things.
it really doesn't, it actually makes the game bearable, and i've beaten it multiple times.

also the ways you can break it with this makes it easily way more replayable.

Do you actually have to backtrack though a level like 5 times to beat it or is that just get completion.

To get completition yes.

No game that has got a rigged boxing fight as the final boss can be bad.

Attached: KingKrushaKRool.jpg (612x332, 148K)

It had a bunch of good ideas but you could tell it's an early work and they didn't have a full grasp on certain things. Probably worth a play, not really worth 101%ing it

Attached: 1553336977435.jpg (1920x1080, 125K)

>Chunky can turn into a giant and lift heavy boulders
>Tiny can turn tiny and fly for short distances
>Diddy can fly
>Lanky can go up sleep slopes and run super fast
>DK can pull levers
Why does Dong always get the short end of the stick in his own games?

Lazy/smart and makes everyone else do the hard work

No. It was better than both Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, IMO. It just took collecting shit too far. Also the Kong switching.

I think this game would've been better if they just had DK and diddy the only playable characters.

This game is already very easily broken to begin with.

Why are DKfags so defensive? People complain about the Metroidfags being so aggressive, but it's mighty preferable over this shit.