How the fuck did it became so iconic? was it the sales?

How the fuck did it became so iconic? was it the sales?

Attached: 220px-Megaman2_box.jpg (220x305, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1988_video_games
youtube.com/watch?v=ZT9DST_M_g8
youtube.com/watch?v=KJsn_C9rvIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=R6ZZaXiqOGs
youtu.be/Lsj0mY13t9s
youtube.com/watch?v=LCtUzI8P50M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

In part, yeah. It's still the best-selling game in the entire franchise (at 1.5 Million). The designs and music also helped a lot however, as was the fact that alongside selling well it was the catalyst for the franchise exploding in the first place; after MM1 just did okay MM2 was barely greenlit but its success lead to the IP being pretty hot and the people working on it getting more leeway (a lot of Inafune's pull in the company came from backing MM2 early as far as I can tell).

OKKUSENMAN OKKUSENMAN

50% music, 50% whatever else happened.

Music and it was in a vacume where there were not many other releases.

Mega Man 1 was legit one of the most important games ever made. Stage select, getting powerups, menu useage; all this shit had completely fallen out of favor in the industry before that game.

So why is 2 popular while 1 flopped hard? Well, you see, vidya wasn't much of a "thing" back then. Nobody had a subscription for vidya magazines or kept up with news; who gives a shit when the only games worth playing were Mario? And Capcom? Who the fuck are they? Not Nintendo.

But then, BOOM; late 80's! Awesome video games were coming out all over the place! Castlevania, Zelda 2, Bubble Bobble, you name it, and suddenly people realized that Mega Man was fucking great and everyone went out to buy it.

MM2 was tight
MM7 shite
but why?
see 3 was good
and 4 was pretty good
and 5 and 6 were okaaaaay
BUT 7 SUCKED BIG DINOSAUR BALLS

superior cover

Attached: Mega-Man-2-EU-Cover.jpg (870x1192, 78K)

7 is the best mega man ever made. 8 is where rock bottom was reached.

Attached: Mega_Man_7.png (640x476, 137K)

DOCTOR WAHWEE

Europe got the best covers. His name is Mega MAN, not Mega Fag.

Attached: 1547402503650.jpg (1280x1627, 942K)

>MM7 is shit
Lemme guess, "MUH BIG SPRITES!"

Megaman just flat out shooting quickman with a gun.
Early boxart was truly a treasure.

Was it ever explained why Mega Man went from looking mostly on-point to something out of a mid-century sci fi serial in the EU?

50% music, 50% metal blade

Attached: metal blade.jpg (1270x803, 477K)

why does Wily look like he had his shit fucked up

7 was when the games were really getting tired, and then mega man X showed everyone what a real super Nintendo mega man should be

You have to compare it to when it was released: 1988.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1988_video_games
Pic related is the kind of competition a it had. That's a 1988 video game. Back then games faced severe hardware limitations. For example, Megaman sprites could only have 3 colors. That's not a lot. The sprite of Megaman himself is "cheating": it's made of two sprites (the body and the face) stuck together to make a total 6 colors, hence creating graphics that were normally impossible at the time.

Attached: Dangerous_Dave_1988.png (381x261, 2K)

>MM2, the second game ever made in the franchise, on the fucking NES, is still the best selling game in the series
It really is understandable why Capcom put Mega Man down like a sick dog.

thinkgen bout robots

Not really.
While Megaman was never a mega blockbuster, it was a cheap investment with a relatively big return.
Just put a 200k-1 million on megaman, get 20 mil back, rinse, repeat.

Megaman had some of the best openings in video games to this day just because of music
youtube.com/watch?v=ZT9DST_M_g8
youtube.com/watch?v=KJsn_C9rvIQ

But they still made like a jillion of them and still do to this day?

Especially on the Gameboy.

youtube.com/watch?v=R6ZZaXiqOGs

>tfw you just want to build your own robots but this blue fuck keeps destroying all of them and even steals their weapons

X-9 soon guys haha...

Attached: mokou feel.jpg (319x436, 91K)

Pure simple run-n-shoot platforming. Immediate successors added sliding then charge shits.

At some point you think Wily would just try to abduct and repurpose Megaman to be all the robot masters he ever wanted at once.

It was easier than the first game.
Also probably snowball effect where the second game got a lot better marketing and distribution than the first. If whatever rental store you got your games from didn't carry a game you were often SOL. I'd heard about Mega Man and was definitely intrigued by its stage select and weapon-equip features, but MM2 was the first one I ever even had the chance to play. I just never bothered to go back and play the first one as a kid.

Literally the 1st game
In II he kidnaps mega man from the future and repurposes him, but that shit's so non-canon it hurts

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (411x360, 28K)

would be slow and boring even if the sprites were properly sized, which they are not.

>Alien Crush
>Bayou Billy
>Bionic Commando
>Blaster Master
>Dragon Quest III
>Ghouls 'n Ghosts
>Gradius II
>Ninja Gaiden
>RC Pro-Am
>Super Contra
>SMB2 (USA) and SMB3 (JP)
>Atari Tetris
Seems like a solid year.

>missing when the target is this close

megaman's aim is even worse than that tranny phantom guy

You're insane. The only notable games were Gradius II and Dragon Quest III, neither of which left japan until like 4 years later. Imagine comparing Ghouls 'n Ghosts to fucking Mega Man 2.

Its the best selling entry, it set the design formula for everything after in the series, its soundtrack is awesome, and had a great robot master design lineup. It has its problems, but for NES games of the time it was a fucking banger.

Attached: 163526473648.gif (1250x1398, 1.53M)

yeah exactly. The first two games were the investment where they perfected the formula, then they just churned out content. They were still releasing games on the NES well into 4th gen.

Of course he missed, he is trying to shoot at fucking Quickman

>manage to kidnap Mega Mang and now he is yours to command
>"So here is this pogo stick weapon that I want you to use..."

Attached: death.jpg (532x783, 180K)

7 was made by the Rockman World/MM Gameboy team, which means it is definitely a different take than the NES games and was built around its screen size and sprite sizes. It's not amazing (stages feel somewhat short, bosses range from simple to insane, some of the stuff in the Wily stages is bullshit, didn't bring back Rush adaptors from 6, Password system is more complex than the NES-style dots for no good reason) but it does have some solid level design, good Robot Masters, good music, and introduced Bass. I think it's an Upper-Mid Tier game among the Classic series.

I'm just pointing out that good games came out that year, not that they're better or more iconic/impressive than MM2. You made it sound like the game came out with no competition at all.

*laughter stops*

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 27K)

You are mega gay.

There was no competition. Name one on the same level as MM2, except SMB 2.

Bionic Commando? Don't make me laugh.

based user dabbing on large sprite fags

>you will never hear this masterpiece for the 1st time again
youtu.be/Lsj0mY13t9s

Dragon Quest III

I already told you that it released in '92. Westerners didn't play RPGs before Pokémon.

All right, since we're going by North American release dates, I'll point out that Mega Man 2 was released in NA in '89.

Same reason we got the infamous MM2 box art The artist they commissioned hadn't play the game and just went by a poor description given to him over the phone.

This board is too young for that reference

is he still Dobson's buddy?

My God, it's beautiful.

RC Pro-Am was more popular than Mega Man 2. NA Release for Zelda 2 was 1988. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out was 1987 but was still hugely popular into 1988. TMNT came out in May 1989.

Trying to claim "Dangerous Dave" was a typical 1988 game is what's ridiculous. PC Games were shit in 1988 and apart from a few specific genres (RPG, Adventure) and wouldn't get interesting until the early 90s (Wolfenstein 3D was 1992, X-Wing was 1993).

What do you mean "stops"? He takes the most damage out of any boss in that game, has the same pattern as he did on the Game Boy, and you can OHKO him just by shooting him before he lands on sakugarne

I preferred MM3 but MM2 was also incredible.

Life is tough for Doctor Wahwee

Attached: Mega-Man-3-EU-Cover.jpg (731x1000, 80K)

I remember growing out of Brentalfloss's comedy in my late teens and now looking back I'm actually mad at how bad his taste is.
>Literally 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 = 6 > 7
>It's actually 4 > 3 > 2 >= 7 > 6 > 5, with 6 being better than just "okay"

Attached: 1532131505552.jpg (208x236, 16K)

>Didn't unlock the real fight

I bet you think Shadowman's a pushover too

What was the worst selling Mega Mang game if you only count the main numbered titles on consoles?

I've fought Shadowman at the needle/gemini chimerabot fight and got his crit-amplifying item, if there was a secret for Quint it wasn't there when I played

He goes apeshit in the arena or on hard mode, I forget which.

He's also the secret boss in 8-Bit death match and is BY FAR the hardest boss in a game already riddled with impossible fucking bosses.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 166K)

Fans of that youtuber probably weren't even born yet when Mega Man 2 was released.

I don't think we know sales for any Mega Man games that isn't in Capcom's Platinum Sellers list. All we know is that it wasn't 2 or 3. Maybe 8 or 10 since there were long hiatuses after them, but 10 was sort of just the last major release from a period of oversaturation.

7 is good because the gameboy games are also good

Best mega man stages? I'm recreating a game in gamemaker and I already have air man and wood man done, and I am probably going to make Hard man next because I love his stage and music

Would be faster to name the bad ones because they're all pretty much perfect.

Dustman on the gameboy
Brightman period
Swordman
Clwonman
Just all of 8 come to think of it

Anything form V, honestly.

I might go with brightman for some mm4 rep. Maybe a stage from every game would be cool. Though I've only really ever played the NES games.
name the best one and I'll see if I can make it

Jupiter.

Attached: Jupiter.jpg (726x1050, 112K)

>JUMP
>JUMP

looks like Harpuia and Storm Eagle had a son

>Get MMLC2
>Get a better appreciation for 7
>9 is as good as I remember
>Reaffirm that 10 is my favorite
>End up actively disliking 8 whereas I previously thought it was just mediocre
Why didn't they put MM&B in this fucking collection.

Attached: 1532896610364.png (464x485, 18K)

Because MM&B is truly the worst game to play as Megaman.

Yeah, it was definitely easier. Beat MM2 in one weekend.

I also don't remember the rental store ever having 1. Friends with older brother had MM1 which I ended up borrowing after enjoying 2 so much.

BULLSHIT
youtube.com/watch?v=LCtUzI8P50M

Saving it for 3.

They designed the levels so that Bass's abilities would be useful but they're just fine for using Mega Man himself. Bass also has a worse time during parts of the King stages.

Included with what? Didn't they lose the source code to the World series, which is why they cancelled a GBA collection of them? R&F WonderSwan also just plain sucks.

No, that was just a bunch of bullshit. It will come with the arcade games.

>EPG
You really dont need to make a 1 hour long video when your thoughts can be summed up on 10 minutes at best

>Mega Man Spinoff Collection
>MM&B, Power Battle/Power Fighters, Soccer, Battle & Chase, X Command Mission, and maybe a JP-only game like Rockman World Adventure
>Mega Man Handheld Collection
>World 1-5, Xtreme 1 & 2, maybe Powered Up/MHX, maybe R&F WonderSwan
>Handheld Collection 2 or Zero Collection +
>Zero 1-4, ZX, ZX Advent

>Mega Man Handheld Collection
Reminder that we were going to get this and it was cancelled. It would have been amazing, all 5 World games with proper full color.

Attached: Mega Man Mania.jpg (335x337, 48K)

I'm impressed by the accuracy of this boxart. It's like they actually played the game.

JUSTICE RAINS FROM ABOVE