Greatest Games

If you had to offer up some games as true classics, like a Western Canon for videogames or some shit, what would you put up? Like a definitive list of video games that are true greats and must plays.
I'll start with some I've played that I would nominate and that I think are obvious:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Dark Souls
Devil May Cry 3
Resident Evil 4

Dante Must Die Mode: Post modern games that aren't widely backed or would meet resistance, that you genuinely think should be considered modern classics. I'll offer two
Bloodborne
Red Dead Redemption

Attached: 53124231414.jpg (1280x718, 96K)

The list has to be ironic, I hope.

What's wrong with it other than being pretty basic bitch choices? The point of this thread is what unusual picks people would offer

>capeshit
no, he's just retarded

stop being so mean to me guys :(

>What's wrong with it
It looks like a list of games someone would create after having played games for a whopping year, that's what's wrong with it. It covers very closely related subgenres and looks like a marketing ad. If anything, its narrow-mindedness should serve as a motivation to discover other games and become more knowledgeable about the medium and its history.

I think the medium is still too young to be able to do a list of these kind, you don't see caveman chants as classics

Assuming that we account for influence, popularity, and craftsmanship (basically the 3 things that make up the "Western Canon"), then these are the only ones that should be in a "Video Game Canon":

Space Invaders
Pac-Man
Tetris
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Duck Hunt
Elite
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Donkey Kong
Ultima 1-7 (including 7 part 2)
Ultima Underworld 1 and 2
Ultima Online
Wizardry 8
Might and Magic 6
Might and Magic 7
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Master of Magic
SimCity 2000
Deus Ex
Street Fighter II
Final Fight
Resident Evil 4
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2 (this will be seen as tremendously historically relevant in the future whether Yea Forums likes it or not)
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne
Super Metroid
Minecraft
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto 5
Doom
Doom 2
Final Doom
Doom 64
DOOM
Quake
Quake 3
Duke Nukem 3D
Unreal
Unreal Tournament
Unreal Tournament 2004
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape Torment
Diablo
Diablo 2
The Sims
Final Fantasy 7
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2

There's others, but I don't feel like typing shit else right now.

>It looks like a list of games someone would create after having played games for a whopping year, that's what's wrong with it. It covers very closely related subgenres and looks like a marketing ad. If anything, its narrow-mindedness should serve as a motivation to discover other games and become more knowledgeable about the medium and its history.
Yes, like I said the whole point of the thread is to see what people have to offer and expand the list which is really just a proxy for discovering new games or talking about favorites. I intentionally selected some basic universal picks as starters.
As for other subgeneres, how would you spice it up? Offer some fucking games

>you don't see caveman chants as classics

you stupid fucking faggot no one knows what caveman music sounded like

recorded music is also not that old of a medium, and neither is film

video games have been around for half a century (or so), which is more than enough for their to be consensus "classics"

Very fair point, I also agree but its fun to think about for the sake of it. Come to think of it, film also is a very new medium relative to literature which is fun to think about.
Interesting list
>The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
>Bloodborne
>DOOM
These stand out as very distinct from the other choices to me.

>other random stuff that came to mind

Tecmo Super Bowl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat
Gothic
Gothic 2
Warcraft 3
World of Warcraft
River City Ransom

Doom as a series is the bread and butter of 3D gaming. It is THE most fundamental franchise to modern gaming. I figure they all will be legendary in the future and not just the 90s ones. I left off 3 because it's really Doom in name only.

Bloodborne is arguably the greatest melee-based 3D third-person action game ever made. I don't see how it doesn't make the "canon of video games".

Breath of the Wild is arguably the game of the decade. If you think it won't be remembered by future generations the way that your generation remembers Ocarina then you're fooling yourself.

>Wizardry 8
Which is inferior to Wiz 6 in every way? Confirmed for not having played the actual games and just looking up some old games for cred points.
>Might and Magic 6
>Might and Magic 7
And not Xeen? But Mario, Zelda, Dark Souls, or GTA get, like, a dozen entries? Confirmed for not having played the actual games.
>Master of Magic
Which, again, is inferior to MoO, let alone MoO2? You are out of your league here, champ.
>Baldur's Gate
For what exactly, to appear to have played a "classic"? It's shallow, has shit encounter design, and has predictable story and almost no interactivity.
>Neverwinter Nights 2
For what, exactly? Obviously you looked up some sort of list, saw MotB there, and though it was ok to just omit it?
>Final Fantasy VII
Oh, you are one of those.
>Demon's Souls
>Dark Souls
>Dark Souls 2
>Dark Souls 3
>Bloodborne
Oh, you are one of THOSE.

And no mentions of games that truly excel in their niches, like Gothic or Quest for Glory IV or SupCom, or games that have created something so complex that has never been done before, such as Dwarf Fortress?

What is worse than an user who hasn't played great older titles? user who hasn't played them but poses as someone who has.

>Bloodborne is arguably the greatest melee-based 3D third-person action game ever made. I don't see how it doesn't make the "canon of video games".
I agree. Bloodborne is an absolute masterpiece which is why I picked it for the OP.

You either have literal autism or you don't understand what the "Western Canon" is and therefore don't get what OP was asking.

Hint: Just because nerds on Yea Forums play something doesn't mean anyone else cares about it.

>It is THE most fundamental franchise to modern gaming. I figure they all will be legendary in the future and not just the 90s ones.
b8

>Bloodborne is arguably the greatest melee-based 3D third-person action game
I am not surprised underage Yea Forumstards have not played Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

He gave you constructive critique (that I am not necessarily agreeing with) which you deflect with a non-answer.

>more shit

Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Defender
Robotron 2084
Tempest
Tempest 2000
Galaga
Ikaruga
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Wii Sports
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Final Fantasy 6
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Goldeneye 007
Thief
Thief 2
NBA Jam
The Adams Family (pinball)
Twilight Zone (pinball)

Some weird game from like ten years ago with a weird orc thing on the cover? Gross, no thanks
What he's saying is that the Western Canon is about the influence of the works primarily, so niche shit that is enjoyed be a select few doesn't really apply. Something like Dwarf Fortress that is only played by autists (I use the term endearingly) wouldn't really make it. The other guy's perspective is also valuable though because I'm also looking for those niche games players enjoy and would put on their own personal Western Canon type lists.

Are you retarded? Serious question.

Dwarf Fortress MIGHT be justifiable. It's been downloaded by like 10-20 MILLION people or something absurd like that.

Imagine calling Japshit and games made before 2002 classics

Damn, that's actually pretty insane. Still I would attempt to Devil's Advocate by saying that it doesn't appear to have been very influential even if many have played it, but fuck are you serious? That many fucking people have downloaded Dwarf Fortress? Fucking good for them.

>more

Fallout series (excluding 76 and Tactics)
Elder Scrolls series (excluding probably the mobile game and maybe Arena)
Descent
Descent II
Ms. Pac-Man
Combat (Atari 2600)

Not convinced of that number.

I looked this up and it seems more likely that there might have been that many downloads, but I can't find anything about that many players. I'd guess it's probably across all versions of the game, so that'd mean it's including people downloading updated versions as they come out.

>forgot

Wing Commander
Wing Commander 2
Myst

I think the moment you try and make a definitive list of the greatest x ever your stuffing your head up your own ass.

Theres always the chance of something better around the corner, and theres always gonna be people that will hate something new or different to their own tastes and refuse to ever lower an objectively "inferior" game because it holds a special place for them nonetheless.

The best lists are not "these are THE definitive X of all time". The best lists are "These are some X that i would recommend"

Attached: 1555110730309.jpg (516x2888, 555K)

lol, no
you are just a jelly ass mothefucker who is upset he didn't list your favorite games

das, dmc3 and resi4 are all super influental games and amazing games in themselves. That's the whole point of this thead, listing games like these

Bloodborne
Metal Gear Solid 2
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Half Life 1
Grand Theft Auto IV
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Bioshock 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

What separates these games from others is I can go back to them any fuckin' day of the week and still enjoy them no matter what.

Your recommendations don't mean shit unless people have a reason to listen to you.