Was a skill prune necessary Yea Forums?

Was a skill prune necessary Yea Forums?

Attached: DKTree.png (1344x476, 437K)

no

I think some pruning was necessary since there was lots of random spells or abilities that didn't really make sense for the most part but now that every class can only use like 4 spells most of the time it went a bit too far

No.

I don't know about WoD->BFA blood DKs because I haven't touched either expansion, but DK skills were pretty tight from the start so I can hardly imagine that even being a question.

More generally, no:
1. Players are mostly set apart, not in terms of doing the regular stuff like performing your rotation better, but the small things they do but others don't do at all. This can involve things you can do with a pruned abilityset (timing your cooldowns with trinket procs or whatever) but it can also involve utilizing your broader ability toolkit in unobvious ways. Pruning takes out the very possibility to do that.
2. Pruning is closely tied to class design in which everything works as Blizzard intended. This makes the game feel sterile, overdesigned and limited - buttons flashing on proc because that's what you're OBVIOUSLY supposed to press next, that sort of thing. "Have a bunch of abilities and see what sticks" kind of design makes for more compelling gameplay, even if you ended up with some abilities not being used even in niche situations. What even is the problem there, really? If that genuinely is the case, then you just don't bind them. If they are useful in niche situations, then that's extra good because, as mentioned above, creative use sets expert players apart from their peers.
3. Flavor abilities (sentry totem, eyes of the beast and similar) provide flavor. This is hardly worthless.
4. Having an access to a wide range of skills, even skills your spec doesn't use regularly, makes you feel like your class, rather than your spec (e.g. a mage is a master all a variety of magics, instead of only being able to cast fireball or whatever). This is hardly worthless.

I'm more annoyed that every class is basically the same shit where you build up a resource and then you spend it.

And the spending ability is like 90% of your damage. Like Ret paladins have 40-60% of their damage come from Templars Verdict which makes the other 4 skills you use basically garbage other than to build holy power

>tfw used to main metamorphosis lock
>tfw the state of lock

skill pruning is probably necessary to curb the power creep

Attached: DUONthcVMAcZ2uD.jpg (680x510, 79K)

I see where you're going but I disagree, power creep has been more obscene lately than it has ever been. If you ding fresh 120 you're maybe 260-290ilvl and with this upcoming raid, intro level, you're going to end up at close to 420 (Blaze it) ilvl. With the scaling this game has been using the difference of 420 to the 260 is almost the same as two entire expansions. If it wasn't for blizzards behind the scenes scaling system then people in BFA would be almost as far apart as a dude in classic and WOTLK.

No joke look at dps meters of a fresh character and a fully decked out one now. In something like WOTLK a fully decked out guy was doing maybe 70% more at very most but a fresh 120 does maybe 4-5k dps while a decked out one in Dazalor does 20k+. It's insanely crazy how bad the gear fucked the balance that it makes losing all the skills feel even worse in comparison

they should have pruned that entire class

A small degree of pruning is ultimately necessary when you feel the need to "add" stuff every expansion. Emphasis on small.
What they did in Legion was just awful. DKs were completely gutted.

Attached: thanks.jpg (843x233, 105K)

The problem is that it doesn't matter since ilvl bloat gets out of hand during the first half of each expansion. If Blizzard really cared they'd have to nuke both lfr and normal raid difficulties but the mouthbreathers that make up like 80% of the remaining players would chimp out. The same goes for unnecessary catch up mechanics that don't scale to your main characters ilvl.

what about feature creep then?

surely they thought about adding something new to a class on every expansion but then it would end up having too much to juggle around

theres also certain skills you can simply just merge to a button since most people would just macro them into a single button anyway
also talents that people pick nearly 100% of the time so might as well bake them on into certain skills as baseline or something

They really need to fire Ion

>when a level 30 in vanilla has more abilities than a max level in [LATEST NU-WOW EXPANSION]
>when a level 40 mage in vanilla has more mastery of all of the elements than a max level in [LATEST NU-WOW EXPANSION], who can cast like four spells of [CHOSEN SPEC]

This image is incredibly disingenuous and misleading to anyone who never actually played DK, so I'm gonna just tell you to fuck off as it would take far too long for me to point out every flaw with this image.

You don't know what power creep means

Attached: skeleton-at-computer.jpg (600x900, 73K)

>I'm more annoyed that every class is basically the same shit where you build up a resource and then you spend it.
Was my experience Warrior. I resubbed for the stress test for classic and figured I would play through the legion leveling since my Warrior was already level 100 and I don't need to buy Legion. Rage management is basically non existent you just dump it with Rampage and the rage cost for the few other abilities that have them is so inconsequential you will basically never need to worry about not being able to use them.

Combining niche abilities into a new ability can only be done sparingly or you'll run the risk of making a single ability that's better than short CDs because it has multiple effects. A much better way would be to keep most abilities the way they are for each class but make them more customizable through talents or glyphs. E.g a niche ability like shiv could be changed from removing an enrage and applying poisons to cause a bleed that removes an enrage when it expires. The core functionalities of each class would mostly stay the same and Blizzard would only have to add 1-2 new spells for an entire class each expansion.

ok fuck that I was gonna just tell you to fuck off but now I'm mad because DK was far from gutted you drooling retard, Blood in particular went from a 2 button spec in WoD to a spec that suddenly had to juggle buffs and debuffs and short AND long cooldowns, with more variety or less based upon what talents you took, it went from an extremely low-effort tank to a very high-effort tank, and the pruning in BFA changed very little, ultimately, you see in the OP the only important spells the spec lost were army and Strangulate, and Strangulate went specifically because CC was pared-down across the board for all classes, and blood never needed army for shit, it was just cool to have, they got better defensives in Legion than it anyway, and the OP is specifically leaving out all the active talents you can take because he's a little bitch, like nearly everyone who complains about pruning is

Attached: 1555833320839.jpg (1200x891, 207K)

To be fair most of the talents you say are missing are passives and the most powerful ones in their respective rows. He's missing blood drinker but thats about it.

I unironically pity you. Ion doesn't deserve you.

>mash heart strike over and over to build RP so you can hit death strike to spend RP
>press blood boil every now and again purely because you have no rune regeneration and have empty GCDs
damn cool fucking spec dude
fuck off

Yes, but not to that extend.