How do you replace subscription models in MMO?

How do you replace subscription models in MMO?
How do you give the player content, without charging them monthly?

Attached: wall1-1920x1200.jpg (1920x1200, 656K)

You make sequels like destiny and charge for DLC

But that's a year long drought of content, no?

Yeah we need to answer this. There must be a new solution, $15 for wow is not needed.

FFXIV has the same issue, really.

MMO players are already paying for Destiny expansions which give very little actual content.

Unironically eve and wowtoken.
People that just want to shit around can pay the 15 sheckles.
Anyone that actually wants to put in effort can make enough money playing in one money to pay for the next ad infinitum.

Offer to allow people to buy a sub via in game currency like WoW and EVE do.

Look at Elder Scrolls Online. Every freaking aspect of the game revolves around using real life money to get ahead.

go f2p and make an optional subscription that gives you the equivalent in game store currency, then make it so you can sell the game store currency for in game gold

i don't think there is a good one. either monthly sub or microtransactions. wow is double dipping on both though and still delivers shit content

MMO devs have no reason to replace $15/month subscriptions, because consumers are still willing to pay it.

Even though WoW has been in steady decline since WoTL, they still have about as many players as they did at the height of vanilla.

Attached: wow sub numbers.png (1184x428, 23K)

>I've only played world of warcraft

Wildstar, GW, GW2, SW: TOR, Warhammer, Rift, FF XI & FFXIV

All MMO within the past 10 years with subscription services. What MMO are you talking about, user?

Attached: 1562446503132.jpg (960x960, 74K)

>WoD

Makes me laugh at how well the hype department did at their job.

Attached: 1543977300073.png (1920x1080, 2.16M)

Also LotR: Online, EVE, Secret World, City of Heroes. I think DC Universe Online used to require a sub too, but I'm not sure. Everquest did too.

So what MMO are you playing, retard?

i dont mind the sub, keeps the third worlders out

I'd rather pay a sub than be nickled and jewed at every step.

Any amount of money, including a buy-in, would do that though.

Fuck WoW and FFXIV for wanting subscriptions AND a cash shop. I can't speak for WoW's but FFXIV sells shit for way too much as well. I could forgive it if they did something like give a small fraction of your subscription to you back as cash to spend in the cash shop, but they don't.

>I'd rather be nickled and jewed than be nickled and jewed

It's just cosmetics though & mounts. There's plenty of other content for you to enjoy.

FFXIV has skip potions and charges for extra retainers as well. It's not huge, but I seriously doubt it costs that much money to run an MMO.

the problem with the WoW cash shop is that the mounts that go into it tend to be miles better than what you can get in game.

cosmetics and mounts are important to the progression an fulfillment that people get out of playing rpgs in the first place, selling them in a cash shop is just like telling them to go play the rpg that is real life.

Why, cosmetic gatchashit of course. It does most certainly decrease the overall quality of the game by making devs focus on useless cosmetics and non-gameplay related gimmicks instead of adding new real playable content but sure enough it keeps the game free to play.

Attached: technology.gif (320x180, 591K)

Why would I grind for hours in an mmo when I can just get literally any job (even flipping burgers makes way more real dollars worth of in game currency) and buy everything I need from either the company that sells the game or some chinese farmer? This is not a troll post, I am genuinely asking you what you get out of spending more time to acquire the same thing. Repetitive menial jobs are even SIMILAR to mmos, in some cases more entertaining

soul