Hey Yea Forums

Why do you hate CRPGs? tell me

Attached: 1560078695408.png (1525x970, 661K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=etGvdC7icYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Ki5cvEPu_e0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

gameplay is garbage.

If there is no furfag race I dont play it

RTWP

I don't know what a CRPG is

RTWP is a horrible system. Most of them like to suffocate you with lots of inane details and pointless mechanics that are numerous, but with depth spread as thin as a puddle.

This. Whoever decided that RTwP should be standard should have been shot in the street.

CRPGs sure is dead huh?

>cringy, quirky characters
>12,000 pages of poorly written crap
>boring art direction made by blind people
>everything is gray morality that gets old fast
>combat usually kinda sucks or is at the very least janky
>falls for the open world meme

but I like CRPGs

Attached: 1558681948035.gif (342x342, 501K)

Computer(w)/Console(j) Rpg.
Tabletop in form of a videogame.

Baldur's Gate

Is it bad that I can't tell which game you're talking about?

I feel like CRPG as a genre has had a huge resurgence in the amount of people who enjoy the genre, but not enough new games to satisfy them.

Attached: 1554097963214.png (500x536, 443K)

Which is weird, because there's been loads of them since 2014. Between Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity 1/2, Divinity OS 1/2, Underrail, Shadowrun series, Pathfinder, Tides of Numenera, and a bunch of others it seems like the genre's been awash with new titles. Granted, most of them aren't fantastic, but that's always been the case.

What are some CRPGs that don't focus on RTWP? I can only think of ToEE and D:OS 1 and 2.

Arcanum is turn-based.

Attached: artwork4.gif (400x504, 46K)

Underrail
Mutant Year Zero
Shadowrun Hong Kong/Dragonfall

3D CRPGs (vtmb, kotor, deus ex) >>>>>>>>>>>>> isometric CRPGs

I don't, though. In fact, I'm playing through Pathfinder right now. It's pretty fun, though I'm just sticking to Challenging at the moment.

Well, the genre has been streamlined to cater to all those new fans.
Lot's of the new fans probably got into the genre with Dragon Age: Origins, and it's an okay game, but is really weak compared to the best the genre has to offer.
The new fans struggle to get into the best games because the old games lack QoL improvements that they got used to.
The core fans appreciate some of the QoL, but the others ultimately make the game boring (waypoints/markers, VA over better dialogue)

fallout

classic Fallouts
ATOM RPG
Arcanum had a TB mode
Jagged Alliance 2

"CRPGs" over the last ~20 years or so have just been JRPGs with more numbers. Forced storyshit, linear as fuck, boring as hell, and/or basically some other game type disguised as an RPG (like Oblivion and Skyrim just being a fucking FPS).

Here's your fucking real CRPG, kids.

Attached: Eye of the Beholder start.gif (256x223, 15K)

>FPS with even worse gameplay
>"real" CRPG

Fuck off back to /osr/ and continue jerking off to how much you hate crawford.

Not that user, but what's this about Crawford?

The fuck are you even babbling on about, kid? Nobody knows or cares about your fucking stupid obscure meme references. Go play good games for once and maybe you'll understand.

I hate isometric

I don't, but they have to be good.

Hence, no Obsidian garbage. And while I will play Planescape, there is no way in hell I can put it in a best-ever list with gameplay that bad. Frankly would have been better as a choose-your-own-adventure novel honestly.

Why does Larian look like Chthulu?

>"CRPGs" over the last ~20 years or so have just been JRPGs with more numbers
JRPG's literally are CRPG's.
If you really want to argue about old Crpgs then you should consider it nonsense, since they got succesfully divided into their respective stereotypes an era ago

Do you like first-person or third-person more?

Attached: 1534098720958.png (640x400, 64K)

youtube.com/watch?v=etGvdC7icYQ

Baldur's Gate 3 involves Mind Flayers.

FPBP

they are tedious

I swear I've seen this exact same image with a post that had a similar anti-jrpg bullshit before

I'm really excited for Baldur's Gate 3. My main problem with Divinity 2 was the fact I found the setting to be boring and the combat was kinda shite and too heavily reliant on gimmicks. The freedom of Divinity 2 with an interesting setting and combat system of D&D can only be great.

Fpbp

I fucking hate enduring there gameplay to get the good writing and genuine roleplay stuff, when it is there at all.

The turnbased combat that Shadow Run, Divinity OS and Wasteland 2 had is slightly more bearable than the realtime "strategy" style that shit like Baldurs gate and Pillars had, if only slightly.

First person and Over the shoulder are seriously far more immersive experiences, and are often accompanied by game-play that sits between mediocre to good.

Attached: 323dba1203e7b685bac373cc5dff6a9d (2).jpg (775x773, 153K)

Cost too much to make FPSRPG

Pillars of Eternity, the dullest RPG of all time. Each attempt Obsidian makes to create their own universe rather than simply deconstruct a setting made by others, has been more disastrous than the last. Aside from the outdated gameplay and lifeless cities, Pillars of Eternity's only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of combat mechanics, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Sawyer vetoed the idea of making anything at all innovative or original; he made sure the game would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable nostalgia pandering to ageing Baldur's Gate fans. Pillars of Eternity might be anti-casual(or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Divinity series in its refusal of spontaneity, fun and excitement.

>a-at least the writing was good though

"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the narrative was terrible. As I played, I noticed that every time I engaged in dialogue with an NPC the game presented me with a Wiki-page style infodump instead of anything resembling actual human conversation.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time this was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Sawyer's mind is so governed by obsession with pointless minutiae of the lore that he has no other style of writing.

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Pillars of Eternity by the same David Gaider. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kiddies are playing Obsidian games at 17 or 18, then when they get older they will go on to enjoy Dragon Age II." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play "Pillars of Eternity" you are, in fact, trained to shill for Bioware.

Attached: 1536155212687 (1).jpg (750x1000, 159K)

Dark Messiah was fantastic, although it was linear.

Calm the fuck down

Nice pasta faggot.

Pillars still sucks of course.

jesus christ how many varients of this pasta are there?

Does it? What's so bad about it?

Icewind Dale is awesome.

I think way points are fine as long as it's not made linear.

Why is RTWP the genre standard? It's so fucking shitty.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ki5cvEPu_e0

Is Arcanum the only open world crpg?

How's Tyranny? I've had my eye on that for a bit.

Attached: 9ea686eae10d3ad4385f36d3c5cd764c.png (800x1044, 665K)

Real time blobbers suck fuck you. Ultima, Wizardry, M&M, etc are much better.

BG2 is literally my favorite game of all time
the RTwP hate is only prevalent in Yea Forums since most here are ADHD retards and need turn based shit so they can alt tab between each turn

>5E good combat

the rtwp meme is as shit as it is because every encounter is just: spam buffs in precombat - nuke everything with the same spell - reload when you die - spam rest - repeat

better than drinking mana potion and spamming fireball retard

Motherfucking ultimas had open worlds.

spbp

ok

The prologue is pretty great, then it's just downhill. Unfinished, wasted potential, barebones disappointment is what I'd call it. You can try it if you're completely desperate as it does have some interesting mechanics and some roleplay options are quite fresh and exciting. But overall it's not a very good game

I agree with spamming rest
they shouldn't let you rest in dungeon

t. Baldurs gate devs wondering why no one gives a shit about their game lol