Why does Yea Forums hate the Sega Saturn?

Why does Yea Forums hate the Sega Saturn?

Attached: sega saturn.jpg (4120x2280, 2.25M)

I don't know how I could hate it
I've never seen or known anyone who's had one
I'm not even sure it's real

How can Yea Forums hate the Saturn? Not only were the majority of them not even born when it was available, it's about the most non-mainstream console ever. Meaning, there's no chance in Hell the Ocarina of Time/Sonic Adventure 2/Banjo Kazookie loving kiddies that lurk this board would have even the slightest bit of interest in it.

I never saw hate on the Saturn here.

Attached: B1549D9D-5369-4FB7-892B-1101FD691FA7.jpg (4032x3024, 2.88M)

Elevator Action Returns is amazing and its a shame it was only ever released on the Saturn in Japan at the time

No but I do hate uncle Bernie.

Yea Forums doesn't hate the Saturn. It's in the holy trinity of weeb kino. Along with the PC Engine and PS Vita.

Attached: download.jpeg.jpg (225x223, 28K)

I hate it because I can't afford a collection.

Literaly no one hates it, its either a love it or you dont care

Actually no. Half of /vr/ has a hate boner for the Saturn. (Probably due to the other half of that board being overrun by Saturn fanboys)

This. Most of Yea Forums loves the Saturn and the Dreamcast.

Attached: 1451436205492.jpg (600x633, 595K)

You underestimate Yea Forums's ability to hate what it doesn't know about.

I forget that board even exists most of the time.

Attached: 1498070740795.gif (320x240, 1.97M)

Why does Yea Forums hate the MegaDrive/Genesis?

I like the sega Saturn
It's not as repairable as the dreamcast though.

The sega fanboys are STRONK on /vr/.

>Say something slightly negative about the genesis's soundchip
>even if you admit that some developers could make great use out of it, and that it was extremely underutilized by western devs who would just make genesis ports of their SNES games and have the music sound like farts
>suddenly THUNDER FORCE IV
>within fucking MINUTES

The saturn confused me as a kid.

>Genesis could play Master System games
>backwards compatibility was a huge selling point for it
>release the saturn
>has a cartridge slot and uses CDs
>Can't run Genesis, Sega CD or 32x games
Imagine if in addition to being a brand new console it also had support for the full genesis library, even if it was PS2 level support where a few games are kinda glitchy because they used undocumented hardware tricks that were hard to replicate. I think if Sega had done that and also had not done what they did with SEGA SATURNDAY it would've been much more successful. $400 for a brand new console that could also play your old Genesis/Sega CD/32x(lol) games would've been the shit, and it probably would've expanded the lifespan of the 32x as well.

I'm a huge Segafag and I hate the Saturn because it's a failure on every scale but performance and it's the very reason along with Yu Suzuki for Sega's road to bankruptcy.

It's a technical failure for being an overly complicated architecture, I tried making games using a homebrew and the 3D feature from Saturn, while superior to it's rivals, was a messy clusterfuck at a time where it was much needed and besides the console's coding process just paints it as an upgraded Megadrive.

It failed at launch, too expensive, bad marketing and one of the most absurd idea in the history of a "surprise" launch with a delayed catalogue of internal studios developping games for the console as just so many publishers just straight out abandonned the idea of releasing games on this platform when consoles like PS1 and N64 were much more popular and easy to produce ames for.

Many other reasons but there is nothing that redeems the Saturn for what it is at the exception of a few never translated gems.
Ironically the console was even less popular in Japan than it was in the west.

OoTfags salty because PDS is better

This.

>OOT was the first adventure game to have real fluid contro-

>Well OOT was the first 3D game to have explorable tow-

>W-WELL OOT IS HIGHER RATED THAN PDS IT DOESN'T COUNT

Attached: pdss.webm (720x480, 3M)

I went through 4 of those motherfuckers as a kid (two of which were brought back to Babbages, because we didn't realize you had to remove the little slip that covered the battery to save on the system). I absolutely loved the Sega Saturn, even went as far as buying two copies of Dragon Force because me and my brother constantly played the shit out that game when we weren't playing Guardian Heroes. I imported so many SNK fighters (KOFs '95-'97 box set, Fatal Fury 3/Real Bout, Samurai Shodown 3 dropped just as the SS died, in the US, but I remember some bullshit about it being censored, so I brought it back to Sears and imported it as well) that came with those janky ass cartiages, but you still needed that Game Action Replay to play imported games on the US SS, so there was a shitload of swapping. I got a bunch of Capcom games two SFAlpha 1/2 and Night Warriors.

i knew one kid who had a saturn and some early 3d game where you controlled a bug or something. he also had panzer dragoon and that was pretty cool i guess.

Because it messed up on transitioning to 3d games. They were stuck on 2d, didn't add an analog stick and it just killed the system.

Keep justifying your $600 purchase, Anonymouses. I'm sure one day people will care.

Bug!

This. Who the fuck owns one? No one I kn in the States.

>what is emulation

>Keep justifying your $600 purchase
I spent like $60 on the console and $30 for a phantom universal modchip.

>saturn controller had such a good dpad design that even the replica retrobit controller with it's little imperfections here and there compared to the og still has a fantastic dpad
How did they do it?

see, here is the thing................

99.9% of Yea Forums wasn't ALIVE for the fucking thing when it was NEW. because if you WERE alive, you would fucking KNOW how terrible it did in the sales game and sega fucking it up.

fuck you, you lil zoomzoom OP.

Who cares about sales when it has good games.

it flopped, hard...
and bad decisions are why sega is dead console wise. shit, fucking sonic is mostly the only thing keeping them alive in the US besides yakuza

fuck you

Thanks to the Saturn we have NiGHTS into Dreams and Panzer Dragoon.

I got a white Saturn model 2, Phantom modchip, and an action replay plus a while back. There are a bunch of fun games that feel like I missed out on because I had a PS1.

Increase the complexity, cost and failure rate to market to people who don't have a genesis but do have genesis games?

>implying backwards compatibility isn't a legitimate selling point

The Saturn had so many great games.
It's my favorite console along with the PC Engine.

Attached: magic knight rayearth saturn.jpg (640x640, 133K)

No one but game developers hate the saturn.
But they do hate it a lot.

Attached: the simple and elegant sega saturn design.jpg (531x561, 85K)

>A bold, daring dream...

I feel like it's just a JRPG machine. The library isn't for me.

Yea Forums doesn't hate the Saturn you b8ing retard. Hell /vr/ vehemently defends it and the Dreamcast.

The damn thing was a critical failure from a combination of reasons - from SEGA going full retard with the release date and price which led to retailers dropping support for SEGA, to NOT releasing countless arcade perfect ports overseas, to Bernie Stolar's existence, to its retarded architecture, and most importantly, the in-fighting which prior to led to the 32X and lost in consumer confidence.

This

/vr/ is a hive of Sega Fanboys.

I just bought this recently
I fuckin love the Saturn

Attached: 20190707_011308.jpg (4032x2268, 3.02M)

That game is the reason for this....

Attached: Blazing_Heroes_-_1995_-_Sega.jpg (1440x1080, 164K)

>Why does Yea Forums hate the Sega Saturn?
It's my favorite piece of 5th gen hardware to play with nowadays, but I can understand why people would hate it if they didn't know or care to deal with the moon library.

I'll readily admit that PS1 has it beat on library and N64 on couch gaming, but if you were to grab one console from its era in 2019, the Saturn should be your number one choice since emulation is spotty and much of its library hasn't been ported or been ported badly.

Someone here said PDSaga is shit and retards pretend to like it to feel special.
Do you agree?

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd................

those series are DEEEEEEEEEEEAD
any other beloved sega franchises that aren't dead or being raped into living like SoR4?

I was too cheap to buy Legend of Oasis years back when it was like $40 and now it seems like it's $90.
Is Saturn emulatable yet?

Can someone explain this image to me plz

Could have sworn that was the cover art...

Attached: Mystaria_-_The_Realms_of_Lore_Coverart.png (252x395, 166K)

Saturn had 3D wtf you talking about

Yea Forums disproportionately loves the saturn.

Yea Forums also doesn't own a saturn, nor actually play saturn games. They just know it as the contrarian "patrician" choice.

Attached: facts.jpg (800x450, 51K)

>Someone here said PDSaga is shit and retards pretend to like it to feel special.
>Do you agree?
It's not shit, but it's also not good enough to justify a $700+ price tag.

SEGA just kept fucking it up

Nobody owns such classic franchises and keep fucking them up as Sega does

It has been emulated for a long time already, dude

I had one as a kid and I still have it. I am to this day the only person I know that has or had one

Okay.
This is a diagram with all the internal CPUs and memories and chips of the sega saturn.
SH-2(x2) are the twin main CPUs of the system, quite hard to keep em both working at full speed on something useful, then below it the SMPC, the chip responsible for peripherals such as the controllers, but it is also the one that does date and time and saving to the internal battery.
Above it, there is the SCU, a powerful DSP that helps the SH-2 both at 3D tasks, and also copy data between all the RAM pools (and there is a fuckton of ram pools in this system).
VDP1 is the chip responsible for the sprite engine, but by sprite engine understand "drawing quadrangles of all angles with texture inside", it is so powerful you can actually use it to pretend the saturn can do 3D graphics.
The VDP2 on the other hand can draw 2D backgrounds and up to two "mode 7" like planes (think F-Zero, Mario kart etc.. on the snes). Many games use those planes to cheat and gain speed.
SCSP is an yamaha audio chip controlled by the MC68.. a 16bit CPU like the sega genesis one.
And finally, the SH-1 is yet another CPU responsible for dealing with the CD-ROM drive and driving the optional MPEG card that allow the sega saturn to have much better videos, but is only used in very few games.

It's depicting the absolutely ludicrously complex saturn architecture consisting of double CPUs (and no, they don't act like a dual core CPU), dual GPUs (and no, they don't act like SLI'd GPUs), SCU DSP, peripheral controller, sound CPU, disc drive CPU, etc...

It all makes the system an absolute nightmare to develop for

But like, good? I guess I last tried it quite some time ago, but it wasn't very reliable.

Jus' sayin' if the ability to play genesis games would draw you to a saturn, you probably already have a genesis. It's just a convenience factor for having one machine, really.

Ive always been very interested in systems with a low adoption rate, I don't hate the Sega Saturn at all.

Personally I only played Panzer dragoon saga and, Astal and NIGHTS and Guardian Heroes and they all played perfectly both on mednafen and SSF.

The Saturn was one console in a bunch of short term clusterfucks made by Sega that doomed the company. They just kept releasing fucking consoles. They had the Genesis (aka Mega Drive) and it was great. Then they launched the Sega CD attachment which was shit. Then shortly after that they released the 32X attachment which was also shit. And then shortly after that they released the Saturn. Nobody had any fucking clue what they should buy and all of Sega's games were very fragmented. Plus, the Saturn launched at $399 in 1995, which is the equivalent of $670 today when adjusted for inflation. This meant that nobody bought one because at the same time you could buy a PS1 for $299 or if you waited a year you could get an N64 for $150. And because nobody bought one it meant that it didn't get a whole lot of games. The games it did get are very expensive today.

You're still on this? Post some more faggy nights into dreams and other games that nobody played and nobody cares about.

Looks mediocre

Good let’s keep it that way

I love the Sega Saturn I had a buddy who got one for Christmas bag in the 90's. My question is why is this thing so hard to emulate can some one run this down for me?

Attached: Sad-Frog-Meme-Gun-24.png (489x423, 23K)

those box arts remind me of a simpler lime. when the only thing on your mind would be to get home from school and play video games without worrying about bills.

did the west get the saturn with the oval buttons?

people forget about E3 1995..............

>steps up on stage

>$299

>steps down from stage

this was the fucking PS conference at E3, the FIRST E3 and the first fucking Sony system.

sega was AFRAID.

it's hard to emulate because saturn hardware is very complicated

most saturn emulators are also extremely picky about the quality of your ROM and what BIOS you are using

Yes, the image in the OP is a US model 1

Loved the shit out of it. Having arcade perfect Capcom fighters was absolutely mind blowing at the time

The Sega CD sold like 2.2 million units and was mildly commercially successful. Even had some killer games. Don’t know why it’s always lumped in with the 32x.

Panzer Dragoon is getting a remake soon
Monkey's paw activated: it's a Switch exclusive

The saturn is an awesome system, if you know japanese.
If you don't then the library of games available to you is abysmal.
A few good games managed to slip by stolar's grasp into the west, but what's available is a pale imitator to what japan got.

Of course it doesn't help that sega pissed off basically every game and toy store on its release too.

and I'm just saiyan why the fuck you putting a cartridge slot on a console that can't play fucking cartridges?

I've never played a single Saturn game because emulation is awkward as fuck