How did he do it lads?

after Mighty No. 9 and Yooka Laylee were absolute disasters of spiritual successors, he showed up and made arguably his finest game yet.

Attached: IGA.png (500x500, 480K)

I didn't think Yooka-Laylee was THAT bad.

well it was

Isn't it just a same game as any other castelvania?

This is hardly the first kickstarter success story. Check out FTL and Shovel Knight some time.

There's a wide variety of Castlevanias, so that's a pretty daft statement.

yep, just the new FOTM so you'll be hearing about it nonstop for a few more weeks

i dont think the comparison was just for successful kickstarters. he was specifically comparing between devs that were in charge of a popular series but then left the company and set out to make their own version of it.

OP's point was that this was the first time a creator made a good Kickstarter spiritual successor of his previous games

It's well made, but yeah. It's basically just Aria of Sorrow with some more modern features thrown in.

Because guess what, his games are good.

If Megaman X was made today it would have a mediocre reception. And so would Banjo

It wasn't. It was a lot of contrarians acting surprised when *GASP* it played like a Banjo Kazooie game with voices... just like a Banjo Kazooie game. Unlike Mighty No. 9, they didn't lie or mislead people about what they were getting... but some people just didn't like what was there, therefore came up with "objective" arguments supporting their subjective opinions.

yeah. and konami hasnt put out a castlevania in fucking years so its nice to play one again.

It's more like Portrait of Ruin

Yooka-Laylee was not on the level of shit and clusterfuck that Mighty No. 9 was. MN9 ended an industry veteran's entire career.

It's a compilation of all of the best metroidvania Castlevania games.

With 5 M he still could have done better.

Must be nice to recycle same concept over and over again and still make profits off autistic fanbase.

Attached: 1551535325493.png (558x614, 29K)

Best post so far, Megaman lost a lot of what gave it character in the first place over the years.

Castlevania didn't because goth is much more distinctive and rare in the first place than random robot shit thrown in without any coherent themes.

>At first he's a robot that installs the powers of his enemies. The bosses were also very distinctive, you can't go wrong with Heat Man and a fire stage for example.
>Then sometimes he's a human, or maybe not, and he has a dog! Then another guy with a sword! Dr. Wiley/Light only there half the time, etc. etc.

After a while it's just like anything else with too much crap thrown in, tasteless and bland.

I actually got chills seeing the first boss in the retro remake they made along with Bloodstained, train demon engine shoveling coal into itself...so fucking cool and yet simple, it instantly brought me back to a better time in vidya.

>he showed up and made arguably his finest game yet.

Which isn't really saying much, since it's just a slightly more polished version of his 2DS games. It's still fundamentally flawed in that:
1. The difficulty is so incredibly easy to destroy and it's so easy to overpower and trivialize everything, even Nightmare difficulty.
2. If you spend 30 hours to 100% the game, 20 of those 30 hours is spend grinding to collect shards, level them up and get all weapons.
3. Bosses are ass.
4. Sidequests are all completely uninteresting and repetitive.

At least the 2DS games had the benefit of looking pretty, especially Order of Ecclessia, thanks to excellent sprite work. Bloodstained just looks hideous.

yeah it is nice to play a game that is focused on the gameplay for once rather than gender politics, cash-grab cosmetics and zoomer-focused domamine rushes through instant gratification bullshit

Yes

Attached: what we wanted.jpg (638x392, 36K)

fukkin nailed it, holy shit

Mega man style gameplay requires creativity, Castlevania has its own formula, you can't fuck it up if you just emulate the basis of a 33 year old game

Dude is a genius. Bloodstained had every red flag of a shit game possible and was still great. I knew it was going to be dogshit and i am big enough to admit i was wrong.

>slightly more polished version of DS games
Considering he didn't have his previous staff or 20+ years of assets to reuse I'd say that's an incredible feat.

IGA was able to keep his ego in check and was able to take control of the situation. He also saw how MN 9 crashed and burned and made sure to not go that route.

Game he made is shit tho

He did the Tekken 7 route

How did he do it? By actually giving a shit about putting out the best product he could in spite of all that went wrong.

Wow rekt. No way that guy didn't kill himself after reading this.

Didn't IGA actually manage to work in various positions. IGA was full on director for a good number of them and was in lower positions in earlier games.
So he was the real deal instead of just a figure head.
Inafune often got credit when his involvement in some games varied greatly.
Sometime it seemed his biggest concern was often just to satisfy his Zero boner.

nigger who the fuck calls DS games 2DS games?

Based as fuck.

Attached: z2CvR6.gif (320x240, 1.85M)

That's literally all people wanted

Bloodstained is the same quality as MN9 or Yooka Laylee, it's just that standards for metroidvanias are fucking abysmal. In MN9, level design being comprised of wide open corridors with aimless enemy placement is criminal, in Bloodstained it's expected. In Yooka Laylee, watching your file completion go up even when your brain is completely turned off doesn't leave fans of more thorough collectathons satisfied. In a metroidvania like Bloodstained, retarded high completion rates come quick and easy. Fans get off on it.

Metroidvanias are a boring genre liked by people who get excited by watching numbers go up and acquiring situational abilities that let them break crusty walls they saw 2 hours earlier.

Attached: 1548827733585.jpg (474x457, 35K)

She remains standing.

Attached: 1504253101257.jpg (579x587, 93K)

Face it, the 2DS is the best revision of that console.

Curse of the Moon was so good.
Now that both Curse of the Moon and Ritual of the Night are successes, Curse of the Moon better get a sequel. I don't want it to be forgotten.

Classicvania and Metroidvania side by side!

I really liked Alucard's cameo in Bloodstained.

At least he is not a con man.

Attached: 1557393197161.png (516x440, 210K)

>in spite of all that went wrong.
He must have been sweating profusely during development with how bad it looked, the poor reception, and all the comparisons to the absolute bomb that was Mighty Number Nine. His entire career and future as a game developer was riding on Bloodstained after all.

Once the castle music kicked in I knew this was a good game. WAY too easy on normal, hard mode is the only way to play it which is kind of sad.

Attached: NearATomato.jpg (448x863, 57K)

Hard mode is what I played. How big is the difference between it and normal mode?

bosses have more attacks in hard mode I think, and a lot more damage

Normal mode is as easy as SotN was.

dang son, save some of that fire for the poor who need heat at night

Well other than Yooka Laylee and MN 09 did Koji Igarashi and the team behind 505 games do two things very right.
Number one the marketing, which was not a total dumpsterfire that pissed off the people who backed the game (MN 09) or had somekind of last minute controversy because of some youtuber (YL).
What the dev team actually had was someone who had some charisma and balls with Koji Igarashi who was very sure of his product in the first place.
Yes he did ride on the coattail of other castlevania games but not in some obnoxious way that made it look like that his game is standing under the shadow of the original series.
And another well executed marketing decision that 505 games had was something that not many dev teams, no matter how big and small they are ever do, which is to listen and actually accepting complaints from the people who where concerned with the game primarily ( not some politics fags I mean the guys who wanted to play the game proper) and that is to try and make the game better before it hits the market. That alone was maybe not much in some customers eyes but 505 games not only tried, they used it to their advantage.
The second thing is that the game is distinct enough to not be entirely mistaken for yet another castlevania clone in terms of gameplay and some mechanics.
The visual design on the other hand though is only the same because I suspects that Igarashi fucking loves european castles in a dark fantasy setting with gothic achitecture and enough candles to burn down the entire continent, which is peak dracula and I can't blame him for that.
In other words did 505 games and Koji Igarashi not only keep the promises that they made they went the extra mile to try and make it special and fun, something that Yooka Laylee and MN 9 both failed to deliver.
And then is there also the fact that the people where waiting a long time for an actual castlevania to show up again and not some GoW rip off which also helped to bolster the sales.

It baffles me, the demo was meh and the delays made me doubtful. It still looks jank yet at the same time, it controls surprisingly well and getting through the castle was fun with all the powers available to you.

Attached: 1560956222897.webm (960x540, 2.97M)

what the FUCK was his problem?

Differences are, for one, Koji does have some cred in development. He was a programmer for fucks sake. Inafune didn't really do jack shit outside of some design work. He designed Zero. Wooo, he designed something that sounds like a modernized robo version of that cool mysterious Mr X character that every anime would have anyway. He was mostly a producer otherwise.
You're probably thinking, "Programmer? Big fucking deal, that doesn't mean anything else". Sure, by itself, it doesn't. But it still means he was involved in some way that was more engaged than Inafune has ever been. He also has directorial AND production experience on his resume. This is in comparison to Keiji "Vince Russo" Inafune who got by as basically an ideas guy, an ideas guy who his bosses would probably reject a lot of the ideas of, but he gets a participation effort credit just because. You know, to make him feel better.
Koji has gotten personally involved in works that he was associated with. Keiji was not much more than an ideas guy and thought up as just a businessman. Clearly, not even a good one at that.
Second, Koji...maybe it was because he was able to witness it beforehand, at least had the intelligence to back out of a bad deal with inexperienced, novice programmers who didn't know what they were doing (Inti Creates). He didn't hire a piece of shit like Dina. He didn't try to make a big thing out of Bloodstained before it even had a chance to be a successful product upon release. He wasn't obsessed with making a franchise or brand just to put his name in the lights, he was wanting to make a really appreciable game that celebrated the kind of games he was formerly involved in. On the other hand, Inafune put the cart before the horse.
Old NES games have "jank" animation but we dealt with that because it was on an NES. However, that same "jank" just as well did not stop us from being able to play the games, as long as the controls were good, because that's what matters more.

Exactly the point. He stated he was going to make another IGA-vania and he did so.

Imagine if Mighty Number 9 hadn't actually dropped all of its planned mechanics due to a "tight budget".
Imagine if each enemy in Mighty Number 9 actually gave you a special ability, and with the stages in places even being designed with this in mind.
And yet it wasn't possible due to a "tight budget" they say. In comparison to Bloodstained in particular it's kind of laughable. The number of shard abilities in Bloodstained alone way outnumber the number of enemies in Mighty Number 9. And that's ignoring weapon techniques or unique weapons etc. Bloodstained has way more enemies too for that matter.

Also. Bloodstained went from shit visuals to way, way better visuals. Mighty Number 9? Even ignoring the concept art, they unironically downgraded the visuals from the alpha-demo that they had early on in development. An alpha-demo that actually looked good and somewhat resembled the concept art.

I am fucking floored by how much they messed up.
Bloodstained started out a mess, but then improved and improved all the way up until release.
Mighty Number 9 started out ok and then just shat the bed again, and again as they continued to make the product worse all the way up until release. While doing half a dozen side projects on the side.

It's like a genuine third Sorrow game. With things learned from Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. With a bunch of new innovations new to Bloodstained, as expected of a sequel. Bloodstained is probably more innovative than Dawn was though.

is he making well deserved bank for not acting like a con artist?

>a lot of contrarians acting surprised when *GASP* it played like a Banjo Kazooie game with voices
It played like the worst aspects of Banjo Tooie with the collectables not placed with thought complete with terrible game design

>pay just enough money to get the game digitally
>receive Curse of the Moon as a bonus
>each game is a GOTY contender for their respective year of release
fuck year

IGA is very consistent and knows how to make a game on a small budget. He was willing to make the tough decisions to delay the game rather than put out something like the demo as well. He took feedback and used it to make a better game.

I thought the Switch port was lacking with its sloppy input handling. Are the other platforms better in this regard? I wouldn't mind picking it up for PC if it means the controls are tighter.

PC version is flawless.
I pirated it while waiting for them to fix my Switch copy.

Not even my dumb 7yo sister wanted a go at it

>its sloppy input handling
The visuals are a bit worse. A couple of select areas leaves the frame rate chugging on occasion. But that's it practically it.
What sloppy input handling are you talking about?

Attached: D9aSWznU8AAJcvq.jpg (1200x675, 180K)

We know you're here, Vinnie

The input lag that the devs themselves apologized for and are working on fixing right now.

PC version runs like a dream in comparison. Doing that one-two-three kick combo in mid air is a lot easier to pull off. Loading times are far shorter and everything looks a lot better too.

obvious samefag kys

ITT: Plebbitor can't handle the realization that multiple people with actual taste exist outside his echo chamber.

>Yooka Laylee
>Disaster
Only people that think that are E celeb shills

Is it really actually good? All signs were pointing to it being shit. Might get it. Wish the Switch version didn't suck but I'll just get it for PC.

>I didn't think Yooka-Laylee was THAT bad.

Attached: Z.jpg (275x183, 10K)

Most of the people that shit on it so hard never played it

It's not quite a disaster, it's just painfully mediocre to the point that it's not worth spending any of your time on. With that in mind, it's effectively on the same level of a game that is a disaster.

It was fine, I liked it.

What the fuck were they thinking making a fly-infinitely-from-anywhere move in a platformer though?

It's fine. Its pretty hard to screw up a Metroidvania honestly.

FYI The Yooka-laylee devs had said they wanted to get rid of the minecart sections but since it was on the kickstarter wishlist they couldn't take it out with fear of backlash.

Yeah but with hideous graphics.

They should have made them better.

>not mentioning the biggest difference of all
They are both westaboos, but Iga would never do something as foolish as hand out beloved franchises to dirty gaijin developers to do what they please. Reminder that Capcom's dark era was ALL Inafune's doing. The moment Ninja Theory started showing proof that DmC was all Inafune's idea I knew I had been a fool for trusting him. Fucking conman.

It wasn't that bad, but it wasn't good either.

2 major flaws really, the worlds were too large and mostly empty, I feel like this is because they designed the game with the world expansion concept in mind, but didn't realize most people will just unlock the full world from the get go.

Then the energy system and localized power up system made the game less fun, they should have had inventory items like feathers and eggs instead, also giving players the ability to flat out fly was a bad idea.

Minecarts were some of the best parts though.

>The moment Ninja Theory started showing proof that DmC was all Inafune's idea
Wait fucking what? I hope he rots at Level-5.

>No one mentions this gem

Attached: Hat_Kid_Controls.png (330x400, 171K)

>but Iga would never do something as foolish as hand out beloved franchises to dirty gaijin developers to do what they please.
I was hoping to focus mainly on just MN9 vs Bloodstained and not let it be about other games outside them.

I thought Yooka Laylee Was fantastic~

Attached: yooka laylee.jpg (1920x1080, 321K)

IGA was constantly being pushed to make games with small budgets, so he knew how not to overextend himself.

Where the others failed because they didn't realize how much they needed their old publishers, IGA succeeded because his old publisher never supported him in the first place.

Seriously if you don't like video games at all, why post on Yea Forums?
Like I understand being jaded, but some of you joyless fuckers make it your life's work to tear down anything that was ever fun about the hobby. Why?

Because it was fucking garbage are you serious?

Source material. Megaman wasn't good in literal ages and Banjo-Kazooie was never good. Castlevania had 1 or 2 bad games, but the vast majority of the games were pretty good. Not to mention that he actually listened a bit to the feedback.

Dude, it's common knowledge by now. At first NT tried making something that at the very least resembled the series up to that point, and Inafune kept shooting them down telling them to make it more different to the classic series and more western. They had some ideas that at the very least weren't actively obnoxious, but they weren't shit enough for the conman.

You can't really discuss the way they turned out without going deeper into the psychology of both guys. I guess you could just say that Iga is a classic westaboo who appreciates the western classics, while Inafune is a fool who liked the trash the west was putting out in the 2000's.

Attached: dmc concept.jpg (1280x1280, 287K)

this. it's just as boring as yooka laylee.

same case as nomura, mate

Attached: 1519709697622.png (600x592, 432K)

"tight budget"
>Translation: we spent all our money on SJW bullshit and useless diversity hires XD

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (480x360, 22K)

>while Inafune is a fool who liked the trash the west was putting out in the 2000's.
Coincidentally, that's around where the era of worst mainstream music began. I guess that is a good way to distinguish them. But it's simply easier to just say that Inafune is a fucking moron all around.

MUH JONTRON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nomura hasn't made a good game in over a decade, though.

In all fairness, it's kind of hard to tell if Inafune would have listened to feedback, since we were being filtered by a dumbass bitch who should have never worked there. On the other hand, it is Inafune, and he was too full of himself.

>since we were being filtered by a dumbass bitch who should have never worked there.

Who wanted to fuck her that she even got that job? Was it Ina?

Yep. That's literally what people wanted, and he managed to do it. Unlike the other two examples in OP.

You. I like you.

couldnt play more than an hour of it, but I 100% a hat in time

Mein Bruda

True. Didn't that SJW cunt Dina say her "boy"friend was a developer? So they didn't just import a worthless söyfaggot, but they also hired his SJW cunt girlfriend and let her both have an input on creative aspects of the game and destroy all the support of the community. Literally paying for negative sales. Goddamn, I hate the conman so fucking much.

Hey boyfriend, who I guarantee never even kissed her and was just a glorified beta orbiter.

He's getting away with these PS2 graphics because of how much content this game has, but I hope to god the next Bloodstained looks significantly better than this one.

It isn't that bad

>Banjo-Kazooie was never good

fuck you faggot yes it was, YL was like a Royalty Free Chinese knockoff of Banjo which had none of the soul or originality that made Banjo novel to begin with. It was floaty unlike Banjo who had weight to him, and the way yooka tilts when you turn looks floaty and unnatural. everything looks like it's made of plastic or foam. Yooka and Laylee have no personality to them, the levels are BAFFLINGLY punctuated by callbacks to grunty's fucking quiz, one of the worst parts of the game

Unlikely friend. Ever since Tokimeki, he's known as the gameplay programmer guy. Every games he is involved in is going to have good gameplay but for graphic he needs help. But do you honestly trust "western game developers" to help with the gameplay guy? Also
>No dating mini game
Come on Iga man up and admit you have a hand in creating the visual novel mess of today

Wow nice leap in logic. I don't like metroidvanias so I don't like video games, okay. I love platformers, fighting games, a good few racing games, plenty of shooters, etc. But some genres like turn-based JRPGs and metroidvanias put me to sleep, have never understood the appeal

Gears for Breakfast wasn't headed by Miyamoto. Otherwise, people would have brought up AHIT in a discussion regarding "kickstarted spiritual successor projects by former staff members".

He spooked me but I got the better deal not needing to farm him forever.

Attached: 20190707201825_1.jpg (1920x1080, 395K)

>Howdy Yea Forums. My name is Kenichi Smith

>Mighty Number 9 started out ok and then just shat the bed again, and again as they continued to make the product worse all the way up until release. While doing half a dozen side projects on the side.
Did anything come of those side projects and plans or has he abandoned them? Now that I think about it, what is the conman doing right now if anything?

Side projects will commence once people get the 3DS ports of MN9

I prefer Rawhide Kobayashi

Think he's doing gacha shit now or something. Don't remember the specifics.

Not really. That only further eroded relations and trust with the backers. The main issue was Stretch Goal feature creep where there was a point where the game was promised on ten different platforms and was going to promise online multiplayer: something that IntiCreates never even did before. Development became a nightmare because of that shit.

So you are simple and have poor taste, shut up then.