Why is morrowind's art direction so cool?

Why is morrowind's art direction so cool?
The game's graphics are god awful and don't do it justice.

Attached: tumblr_naig4n4Uts1r95fb2o8_1280.jpg (1024x1320, 137K)

Attached: 1495993177711.jpg (3397x2544, 3.75M)

Attached: 1495992944447.jpg (3501x2544, 2.53M)

Is this going to be in Skywind?

Attached: 1513910635921.jpg (584x900, 83K)

Attached: 1513911426129.jpg (1280x982, 273K)

Have a bump, don't want to see a Morrowind thread die.

It's not, fuck off faggot.

have sex

Attached: 1523191013929.jpg (329x470, 41K)

>The game's graphics are god awful
out of curiosity, when were you born?

you know why OP

Attached: mk.jpg (400x400, 29K)

Because it came out 17 years ago and was open world.

>"H-Have sex!
Fuck off tranny.

This. And Kirkbride had to literally fool Todd to get his ideas into the game. If you haven't read the postmortum that went up a few years ago, it's a hell of a read.

I always thought it was because they've had the same modeller friend since high school days and while he's amazing at architecture he couldn't do character modelling to save his life.

Then they got better 2d artists with vision for concept art to hand to him and you see the results.

I don't have anything to base this on, it's just the only thing I could come up with that made sense as to why the characters were consistently so ugly and the environments amazing.

>house dres looks cool as fuck
>not in the game
feels bad man

At least TR when it's finished in a few decades looks like they'll do Dres some justice.

Attached: tumblr_inline_n1exq7rbpQ1r041f6.gif (210x176, 417K)

>the characters were consistently so ugly
compared to most other games from 2002 they were pretty good. environments age better because they're mostly just flat surfaces, whereas it's been 17 years so that's why the characters no longer look so great

come on. Even for 2002 it looks amateurish in a lot of places
have sex

aaaand underage. Morrowind had stellar graphics for 2002.

There is at least one member of Dres in the game with their garbs. And see, even going out of your way to include details like that sells the world in Morrowind a lot better than the lore concessions present in Skyrim.

i just asked a simple question, cuz i remember 2002 very well and the graphics were pretty good at the time. even tommy vercetti was good graphics and vice city's models are worse than morrowind's

Link to the post mortem?

why wasn't it called vvardenfell

polygon.com/2019/3/27/18281082/elder-scrolls-morrowind-oral-history-bethesda
Legit great read despite appearing on Polygon.

Because it was originally all of Morrowind

because the original plan was to include mainland morrowind before they honed down on vvardenfell. morrowind as a nation is still more important than vvardenfell in-game and is probably a better name for marketing purposes

>New TES set in Morrowind never ever
Fuck you Todd, you damn hack.

Attached: Foul_Murder.jpg (3053x2411, 3.34M)

Can I have a rundown on this guy? I know he's a writer or somesuch but that's it.

hes a dude who start writing about gansta rapping tv robots in elders scroll universe

He was a writer for Bethesda during the development of Morrowind who notoriously had weird taste and sensibilities.
He’s responsible for all the weird shit in Elder Scrolls lore, and would go out of his way to push Todd’s limits when submitting ideas and designs.
>wrote an entire book about sucking dick and hid it in the in game biblical text

can't wait to genocide entire cities full of slavers and liberate some beast race friendos

Attached: 1527687310901.jpg (1200x1200, 417K)

>will never be able to draw like this

feels bad man

is he responsible for the CHIM bullshit?

Attached: elder-scrolls_conspiracy-list.jpg (1701x6451, 3.98M)

It’s not that hard. You just have to draw it with a real pen/watercolors and not a tablet.

That's a hell of a list. I've never seen one of those topic charts where I am only on level 1 the most

Jesus christ

CHIM is way overhyped, it was really just a meta joke that the world is a videogame and when someone figures it out they can either fuck with the game or blip out

You can easily do that digitally with a tablet.

He pretty much wrote all the esoteric weird shit behind TES lore, even contributing to Skyrim and TESO to a small extent.
Like other user said, people give him way too much credit and a lot of it was written for shock value (i.e. an emperor literally fucking some soil and making his next in line)

Which substances did Kirkbride consume specifically? Just curious.

Psilocybin was one of them

that's pretty funny

Attached: ok1.jpg (1919x1080, 793K)

Alcohol and nicotine

The one thing I dont understand or remember about this pic is the guy half way buried. Is it Dagoth Ur?

Yes, but pen and paper forces you to think and commit to every line. These drawings are pretty confident with their lines,

Yes, it's him
Fuck the Tribunal, fuck Vivec the tranny

Attached: akulakhan_by_risingmonster-d7fx563.jpg (941x848, 195K)

Art direction?
Scraping the bottom of the barrel for things Morrowind has going for it I guess.
What next "It has more soul"?

>Toddhead
>Ork Tits

Alright, whats the conspiracy behind ork tits?

if there's one thing Bethesda has always consistently had, it's cool concept art

Orcs were going to have six breasts.

This is some >3+ standard deviation autism

MK didn't want Orcs to be klingons so he gave them pig tits.
Turning them into a joke is one way to stop it.

>Dark Crystal
>Star Wars
>Dune
>Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
>Out of This World/Another World
So apparently those were some of the inspirations of the art direction of Morrowind.

Attached: influences.png (960x962, 214K)

they actually tried to make the Dunmers a completely unique fantasy culture with little ties to the real world rather than whole sale copy paste actual cultures onto the races.

>The Blind God
Absolutely based. For all of Daggerfall's faults its final dungeon was fucking amazing.

But I scanned it twice and maybe I'm retarded and missed it but I don't see any conspiracies about the Seyda Neen, the Hlaalu flagship that was lost at sea and which the starter town in Morrowind was named after. There's gotta be something on that.

Attached: The Blind God.png (1600x1200, 60K)