Level 1,000 oldfag reporting. I've been lurking here for quite a while and figured I'd give back

Level 1,000 oldfag reporting. I've been lurking here for quite a while and figured I'd give back.

I worked for Sega for a decade, from 1997 to early 2008. Most of my work involved the R&D, launch and (short) lifespan of the Dreamcast, and being a liaison of sorts between select Sega developers and the mothership, so to speak.

Ask me whatever you'd like.

Attached: DRMCSTLG1.png (1200x884, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kzXSZTk-J8A
youtube.com/watch?v=U5scG0G7Q88
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

favorite dreamcast game?

What, in your opinion, caused the Dreamcast and ultimately Sega to bottom out?

What is your personal opinion of Sega as of 2019?

Proof or gtfo dumb roleplayer

sonic adventure 3 when

Tell me everything you know about Phantasy Star

Attached: 4L_uuSpjUZY.jpg (1200x960, 228K)

I managed to force myself through the Switch port.

Even with all the enhancements turned on this game is fucking garbage.

How well did Sega of America and Sega of Japan coordinate after the Saturn debacle?

How bad was the piracy problem, really? Was it that killed the DC, or was it just not competitive against the PS2?

Tell me everything about the Dreamcast goddamn.

It still has a place of honor in my modern setup.

Were there ever any plans to release a revision with DVD playback support?

how big is Sonic's dick?

>Dreamcast was released in 98
>PS2 in late 2000
>Sega announced that would stop from consoles wars to be become a developer january 2001

What competition? 3 months?

Piracy was never a problem for Dreamcast, because DC's piracy sucked ass for years. Games like Shenmue wouldnt even work for huge they were to fit normal discs, even games like SoA wouldnt work until selfboot happens and games like Crazy Taxi had graphic issues.
Also, almost everyone I knew had a Playstation with a chip for piracy. Even with piracy they were number 1 with home consoles

It seems the research and development team were the downfall of Sega. Too much time and resources put in too many failures.

Did you morons think the 32X and segaCD were good ideas? What was the Main reason you didn't just make a new console???

A three-way tie between Jet Set/Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure and Skies of Arcadia.

The rushed R&D of GD-ROMs, the distrust retailers had in Sega, the decision to not truly double down on network capabilities, and the decision to cut a lot of corners to make the console as cheap as possible.

Never.

Oddly enough, I've never played a PS game outside of Phantasy Star Online.

Not too well. They had two different visions for the Dreamcast. SOA wanted the Dreamcast to shed its reputation for Arcade-style titles and focus more on large AAA titles while also focusing a lot on planned internet features, where SOJ wanted to focus more on unique experiences that you couldn't find on other platforms, while viewing online gameplay as something that only major blockbuster titles would use. Bernie Stolar absolutely despised RPGs, too.

See my second answer. Piracy was an issue but the writing was on the wall fairly quick, due to many other decisions. Had GD-ROM technology spent a little more time in the oven, we would have seen GD-ROM variants at 1GB, 1.5GB and 2GB (similar to how Nintendo has different cartridge variants), in addition to better security measures.

What do you want to know? There's a lot to get into.

Attached: DRMCSTLG2.jpg (260x200, 21K)

Level 65 Zoomer here
Probably as big as bofa

I just watched this:
youtube.com/watch?v=kzXSZTk-J8A
>segafags admitting the problem was their weren't enough core games for the dc
>segafags admitting that they were coasting on talent they couldn't afford anymore after the arcade and megadrive dried up
Feels refreshing man.

No, but a revised model, sort of. The DVD player unit seen at E3 2000 was a plastic shell and meant to keep shareholders and the press interested and optimistic. DVD support was pitched and researched but it would never be possible from a financial and logistics standpoint.

There however was considerable thought put into a revised version of the Dreamcast with support for revised GD-ROM technology, improved networking, and a revised controller. This would have been solely to appeal to third party developers who had trouble working with the limitations of both GD-ROM technology and the existing control scheme.

I wasn't obviously there that early, but from what I've heard, there was constant paranoia of the competition waiting for a (hypothetical) new console to be released, taking notes, and besting it on a technical standpoint.

Attached: DRMCSTLG3.jpg (310x227, 20K)

i believe it

Any info about the Dreamcast version of Shenmue 3? How far through development was it before it was cancelled etc?

Attached: 3EjTp.jpg (1024x768, 185K)

When people tell me to "just burn the disc" they leave out this part. I'm like nigga its a "Gigabyte Disc" and cds are 650-700 wheres the rest?

I had most Dreamcast games legit but I ended up getting a GDEMU recently so I could finally satiate my curiosity about gems like Cannon Spike and Illbleed.

>and the decision to cut a lot of corners to make the console as cheap as possible.

Weird that it never shows. My original Dreamcast bit the dust but it outlasted my Xbox, PSX, even Wii U lol. And the console is easy to work in and replace parts as they shit out.

Two more if you have the time...
Did you ever play Kenji Eno's magnum opus and what did you think of it (i'm a big fan).

And do you still have a Dreamcast of your own?

Attached: D2-box.jpg (640x545, 42K)

Do you remember DreamSNES?
youtube.com/watch?v=U5scG0G7Q88

How rare is my translucent yellow DC shell? Its an offical sega one.
Looks fake.

Attached: 20180726_072109.jpg (3264x2448, 2.38M)

Tell me everything you know about Phantasy Star Online.

how can you tell?

Its the only one in that photo (and the only one ive seen) that has the title printed on. There is space to write the title in, wouldnt be printed on like that considering they are all blanks before hand.

It's been 20 years, most people that are still diehard sega fans are willing to acknowledge their fanboyism doesn't preclude the "making good financial decisions" side of Sega from being just one giant ball of fuckups with the Genesis being a borderline lucky accident.

Shenmue 3 never existed ad a DC thing man, 2 only happened because it was co-developed alongside 1 if I recall

Was anything ever in the pipes of expanding the Saturn's capabilities before things moved onto Katana / Dreamcast? I know it has that strange port in its backside.

wasn't that port just for the netlink

It must have existed in some form at one point as there are screenshots (pic related)

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 47K)

No, NetLink just plugged into the top. The port was some kind of video card slot that I know was used in Japan, I was just wondering if there were other plans for it besides that.

Probabaly just cut content from 2

You sure that isn't just cut content from II?

I don't mean segafags as in fans I mean segafags as in former and current employees.
>piracy not an issue
Okawa himself told Yoot Saito that all Sega needed to stay solvent was for everyone who bought a dreamcast had to buy 2 games.
TWO.
1+1
Guess what didn't happen?

possibly, although here's the same area from the upcoming shenmue 3. Perhaps this was cut from 2 and would have ended up in 3

Attached: FB_IMG_1562544204181.jpg (720x405, 52K)

Where did you buy yours? There was never an official yellow variant of the Dreamcast. The shell looks convincing, with the Windows CE branding in the corner. At one point there were a lot of replacement shells circulating around eBay and Amazon.

Not in the slightest. Dreamcast R&D (as the platform itself, not the tech it used) started in 1997 under the codename "Blackbelt". There were briefly talks of lowering the price of the Saturn yet again, but nothing came of it.

Attached: DRMCSTLG4.png (2000x1473, 140K)

>couldn't manage an attach rate of 2 to stay solvent
that sounds like a load of horse shit, I don't know what the DC's attach rate was (saw something on a quick google search saying 8 but I dunno how accurate that is) but I don't think it's possible for something as big as the Dreamcast, even with its massive piracy issues, to do worse than 2.

Were you involved with the Saturn at all?

Did you have any communication with the seaman team? How did you guys manage to get a microphone to work with the game? What were the biggest hurdles?

Did you have any hands-on to compare how the match up of Blackbelt vs Katana was?

Were there ever bigger plans for NiGHTS that didn't come to fruition? What about other one-off characters like the OCs in MvC2/Cannon Spike?

Sega sold offical shells for the DC. Although aftermarket ones are almost all you see. The colors offered matched the translucent controllers they had at the time. Yellow vmu and controller are the rarest of the bunch so i figured this shell is pretty hard to find. Only other one ive seen is on ebay for 500.

Do you think SEGA will ever make a new console again?

This is my own fanfic basically, but with how closely sega worked with microsoft on DC, was there ever a chance of a company merger and Xbox becoming DC2? What do you think microsoft learned from sega?

Was it true that sega thought they could make more money by ditching the dreamcast and going 3rd party or were you guys really on the edge of bankruptcy and had to

there was a dreamcast sequel in the works but that never went anywhere, remember reading it had a special peripheral controller too.

>What about other one-off characters like the OCs in MvC2/Cannon Spike?
you know that shit's Capcom and not Sega, right?

Just google dreamcast offical shell and youll see most of what was made. Smoke, blue, ect. They arent common.

What do you think of modern SEGA?