How do JRPGs manage to be more fun than WRPGs despite having way more simple and generic plots?

How do JRPGs manage to be more fun than WRPGs despite having way more simple and generic plots?

Attached: 1526121154902.jpg (2000x1952, 735K)

What's fun about JRPGs?

I mean they're not, some are. The ones in the picture are just as fun as good jrpgs. Tends to be that it's simply modern wrpgs that suck dick comparatively, whilst modern jrpgs can still manage to be fun cause they usually have better actual gameplay depth to play around with

I don't know what your talking about
JC has some of the funniest lines in gaming

Because you’re braindead

>isaac
>expressionless

confirmed didn't play the game

Fun combat and strategy

Virtually all JRPGs are completely interchangable with rudimentary systems, hell, quite a few of them could be made text based without really changing any of the gameplay elements. They usually also have padded length and don't really have that much progression and increasing complexity of gameplay. Personally I find that maybe you can enjoy one for a short while, but they very quickly lose their appeal.

>Virtually all JRPGs are completely interchangable with rudimentary systems
You know how I can tell you don't play videogames?

Having it be proper turn-based or have characters move on some kind of staggered timer is not really a big difference, especially if there's a speed stat involved.

Yup you haven't played anything outside of final fantasy

>TWEWY is apparently the same as Dragon Quest and FF
Okay then.

Shit, meant to reply to

If we discount the action game crossover stuff, those are in essence the two dominant systems within the genre.

Why do people feel they need to share their retarded opinion even when they don't know what they're talking about?

nah, it's better than either.

A long time ago, the genre was invented when Japanese people tried to streamline CRPGs so that anyone could enjoy them. Mechanics were only included when the devs were able to implement them in a streamlined manner.
Of course, since then CRPGs went into the direction of increasing in complication, and only started streamlining more recently.

Dragon Quest was introduced in Japan as a a more accessible and simple RPG than Ultima and Wizardry.

There are Japanese RPGs with more complicated plots. But perhaps simplicity was the allure besides whatever allure marketing gave.

I’ve played some FF and DQ and generally enjoyed them but TWEWY still has one of my favorite combat systems in a game. Unique as hell, to boot.

Attached: twewy gameplay.jpg (256x384, 43K)

Action jrpgs have been a thing since the fucking snes.

Because JRPG's make the game systems first THEN do the story to work within the game system. WRPG's(modern ones mostly speaking, not talking older ones like Ultima) make the story first then make the game system to try to tell that story.

When’s the last time the west made a good RPG?

2002 Tbh

Which game came out that year?

damn you're fucking retarded

Again, what’s the game in question?

morrowind

Attached: (You).jpg (1024x683, 53K)

I think it depends on what the player wants from the experience. JRPGs are more focused on immersing the player on a prefixed story while WRPGs emphasis is on the player´s choices and immersing the player in the created world. If you enjoy to be told a story you would like JRPGs better (provided that, you know, you like the kind of anime-eske stories JRPGs tell). If on the other hand you want to explore, make decisions and create an avatar of yourself to self insert in the fantasy world and situations then you´ll like WRPGs better. (No reason to not like both though.)

>Morrowind
>Good

Attached: 1551327574870.jpg (500x373, 74K)

great post retard, i hate morrowind now

>D20 combat
>good
>ever

Actually it was Arx Fatalis.

that's a good game too