To people making Mario Maker levels can you PLEASE make them easier or at least use checkpoints?

To people making Mario Maker levels can you PLEASE make them easier or at least use checkpoints?

Attached: g54325324.jpg (794x671, 260K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0xLeiwxMWOU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Get good?

If I have to clear it without using a checkpoint so do you bitch

I can't believe how many retards try to dictate what good level design is. Like that game makers toolkit ass making a video to say : " do levels like Nintendo does them or your level is just bad"
those fucking cunts don't know how to have fun

Um, no?

why did you bother making this thread. this isn't funny, interesting, or anything at all but boring screenshot bait

do you really need the (You) that badly

GET
FILTERED

Attached: 1545756604652.jpg (801x451, 34K)

To be fair, I like checkpoints are good. They ensure that more people can enjoy themselves.
There are levels where they just don't fit though. Key-based levels can be nightmarish if you don't place your checkpoints right.

Attached: 1562275944574.gif (370x246, 984K)

What if I don't? You're gonna scream at your computer window until you shit yourself in the middle of your tantrum?
Fuck off tranny

Zoomers want to make epic so hard levels for their favorite streamer, though while they hide a shortcut so they don't have to complete it legitimately

>They ensure that more people can enjoy themselves.
Who gives a shit about being inclusive? If you're not good then either you get good enough to finish the fucking level without the crutch of a Checkpoint or you stop playing.
This is exactly the kind of bullshit that pissed me off about Journos complaining about Sekiro's difficulty. Play the fucking games you know you can beat and stay the hell away from the ones you can't, don't ruin it for the rest of us with your constant complaining.

when the hell are these wastes of time gong to get fired? this is literally a face book post as an article

I tried, but they do not save the red coins you collected.

>make a level thats just a straight line with like 100 check points just to shitpost because of this article
>get rave reviews, already got at least a dozen positive comments within an hour of it being up
I've lose faith in humanity.

>>get rave reviews, already got at least a dozen positive comments within an hour of it being up
You're a lying faggot

>faith in humanity
go back to twitter too while you're at it

Nintendo is full of casuals and faggots that do not wanna put even the minimal effort into anything, why do you fucking think Auto Scroller levels are the most popular?

patch when?

No. I design very short, less than a minute levels with some challenge in them. I put in alternate routes or ways to get back if you mess up, but if you miss the obvious powerup or fuck up with switches then that's on you.

no

That guy was always a pretentious cunt

You can only put in a maximum of two checkpoints per course, my good sir.

Its not about inclusivity. Its about more people enjoying the level now that its easier, this leads to me collecting more likes on a level and climbing up that popular course list so that i know im popular.

Depends on the stage length.

This is on the maker if they want their level to have a 5% completion rate or a 20% because its never going much higher the userbase are mostly kids that really suck at mario
This is a fucking non issue, there are levels of all difficulties

What are design choices that piss you off?

>Multiplayer Vs levels that have alternative bait paths
>Hazards always outside the view of the camera when reaching lower areas
>Switch block spam

Attached: marioisreallyfuckingpissed.png (534x594, 255K)

I'D USE MORE CHECKPOINTS IN MY LEVELS BUT HAVING A LIMIT OF ONE PER AREA IS FUCKED

>game """""""""journalism"""""""""

Attached: 1552856020592.png (596x741, 195K)

Congratz on wanting internet points and attention like a normalfag
Now fuck off

Two is sufficient, even for long courses, and you can force them back-to-back in sequence to simulate a repeatable save point in especially complex courses. Environmental changes like destroyed blocks are retained when passing through a checkpoint.

Try harder

I agree. If your level has a really tedious part, put a checkpoint after it or people will just boo your level and skip it.

And then casual games and battle royals flourish because no one plays anything else, good idea, idiot.

>really slow (+30 secs) and easy start
>Challenging end
>no checkpoint between the easy and hard part
Why do retards do this? It's not hard, you are just wasting people's time.

boo it and move on
makers that want others to play and enjoy ad like their stages dont do that shit

Based as fuck. Pandering to casuals has never resulted in anything worthwhile.

lmao get dunked on fgt

Attached: D-2orMPUIAEf6ro.jpg (1280x720, 176K)

>dev makes a game
>DEVS, MAKE IT EASIER FOR ME
>dev makes a game where you can make the levels
>EVERYONE, MAKE IT EASIER FOR ME

Attached: s_w06_55706430.jpg (991x660, 92K)

>Who gives a shit about being inclusive?

Normally I don't, but in this particular case not being inclusive just creates a gigantic gap between two groups of levels, the group where completion rate is 95% because they're practically automated and the group where completion rate is 0.01% because most people suck ass at playing video games.

A lot of the time it's not even about being hard or easy though, it's about not being boring.

>level starts with an auto-scroller/slow section which is easy but very slow, but still enjoyable the first time
>Then the actual hard part of the level starts
>Every time you die you have to spend 1-3 minutes going through the incredibly easy and tedious part of the level which has now lost all of its charm

In cases like this, the check point doesn't make the level easier, it just makes it way less tedious. Plus, it means the start can still be fun, rather than devolving to just boring and tedious.

Oh hi there, baby boy! It looks like you're having some trouble finishing this game made for children! That's alright: even a worthless loser like me can help someone like you out! Hey now, don't feel bad. How else are you going to pay off your student loans if you don't pretend to be a gamer? Okay, here comes the brick block train! Choo choo! Very good! Yay! You did it!

Attached: babyboy.png (602x690, 354K)

My wife used Luigi to beat a level when i wasn't looking and now I have this big green flag-shaped stain of failure on my save file forever.

Attached: Disgusted3.png (598x558, 18K)

Are you able to beat the level as mario to make it go away or are you completely fucked?

ok if he is stacking them together but just putting them next to each other why dont they link in his hand?

Retarded leaps of faith.

why doesn't glue just harden inside of the Elmers bottle??

GMTK is genuinely fucking awful. The guy acts like some kind of game design genius whilst spouting shallow and obvious techniques literally everybody is aware of.

its inside of the elmers bottle those are clearly out in the open right next to each other

Fuck it. I abused powerups on those fucking do not jump levels. They're so slow and boring, I just dboost though that shit.

>Its not about inclusivity. Its about more people enjoying the level
That is quite literally inclusivity.

No checkpoints at all likely is bad level design.

fuck you and fuck your shitty mean levels

>make carefully crafted level based around raccoon mario with lots of powerups and indications for every fucking little thing you have to do
>shill it with a streamer on twitch
>dude doesn't know you can fly with a shell
>keeps dying in the only lava pit (3 square wide btw) in the entire course.

I tried, user, but I simply couldn't foresee the depth of people's scrubness at this game

>I JUST DESERVE TO WIN

>I've lose faith in humanity.
Are you a teenage girl or something?

Rerun it as Mario. It changes that green flag red.

>people upset the first one didn't have it
>no one in the second one uses them

>I can't believe how many retards have an opinion on level design

>exceedingly difficult level
>dev exit/secret power up at the start of the level
FUCK YOU ROSS, YOU MASSIVE FAGGOT

Attached: 1550974324027.gif (274x249, 214K)

Mario Maker 2 needs to respect its players

Do people who make troll maps get banned or something

I mean, even the best Mario speedrunners appreciate checkpoints. Nobody wants to go through a long ass level and die to some kaizo block at the end.

Just beat it as mario and you get the red flag. Worked 4 me

What's the definition of a troll map? If you're talking one that's impossible, I'm pretty sure you need to beat your own level before you can upload it.

I never used luigi, what does he do when you pick him? If he has his floaty jump I'd bet some levels would get harder with him

Reminds me of when Mario Maker 1 came out and some guy wanted to make a youtube video showcasing all the levels Yea Forums made. Out of the 20 levels he put in the video I think he only finished two of them, the rest he ragequit at various spots. He didn't make it past the first jump in mine because he was too stupid to figure out how to carry a trampoline.

There are lots of ways to fuck with the player. Like requiring hidden blocks to win, or pick-a-door sections where the wrong choice is death.

>any enemy that isn’t telegraphed in some shape or form
>no fucking checkpoints in anything but fairly short levels
>zero effort into making a level look at least passable
>level recreations
>levels themed around other games that don’t play well in Mario
>no coins to reward and guide the player

Almost all game design Youtube channels are like that and I hate it. The only thing they have going for them is that their presentation is good but that's useless when they have nothing interesting to say

troll maps are the ones with pipes to death pits, hidden blocks that lock you, indicators that lead to your death, etc. If I see any of those I insta dislike and skip the level.

You can't put more than two checkpoints in a level and you can't put a checkpoint in a level with a special clear condition.

Luigi is an auto-win, you don't control him or even see the level.

>I'm pretty sure you need to beat your own level before you can upload it.

There are a few dickheads out there that make their levels literally impossible unless you know to fall down a specific bottomless pit and find their developer door that warps you to the flag.

If anything checkpoints shouldn't be so limited.

Nintendo's once again showing their japanese mentality of "one does not put sugar in their green tea" authoritarianism.

And for a maker game that's in the spirit of creative liberty, that's very disingenuous.

And fix those cheap-ass joy cons, you fucking yakuza-controlled gook bastards

Can't do clear conditions with checkpoints. Which I don't understand why, seems pretty trivial if you ask me.

>Popular MM2 Level [Fan fix]
>they make it braindead easy by removing the gimmicks

Attached: 1457895309730.jpg (549x417, 35K)

This

lmao, that's lame as fuck

>abloo bloo make your hard levels easier
Get good or fuck off

>kill X number of enemies
>place checkpoint
>now you can't get back to some of the enemies
>journalists cry anyway

I know what bad level design is. Very short levels, no theming, copy pasting enemies and power ups everywhere, pipes with no walls. These are for the most part made by Japs. I'll concede for now since this game is in its infancy and people are still getting used to bulding levels, but I'll still Boo any level that doesn't even show a bit of effort.

Because games are supposed to be fun you retard. If adding a checkpoint makes the level more fun for more people then that's a good thing. You act like the point of games is to allow you jerk off to how skilled you are.

it's be a nightmare if a checkpoint locks you out from completing the level if you can't backtrack to kill an enemy/ get some coins

>I'll concede for now since this game is in its infancy and people are still getting used to bulding levels

If it ends up like MM1 then once the game "matures" all we'll see are retarded "DON'T PRESS ANY BUTTONS!!!!" automated levels and kaizo horseshit.

Yeah, but you also don't get credit for the win for achievements or anything. It is a quick way to make cash for the payment, though.

Why not make it save the amount of enemies you've killed up to that point?

That's fucking dumb, you could totally make it work. But that would require actual brain power.

Git Gud journofag

This isn't Sekiro where the entire point of the game is to be difficult. It's a game where players have tens of thousands of levels to choose from, if your level pisses people off they're just going to Boo you, quit, and play another level.

What if you missed one and can't go back because the level creator put the pipe you came out of up in the sky? I agree it's dumb, but Nintendo probably took troll faggots into account when they came up with the restrictions.

Oh, I forgot to mention the automatic and music levels. I'll Boo those too, because while they take effort, they clutter the Most Popular page.
Let's hope it doesn't devolve to that.

random leaps of faith. Give some fucking guidance to where you're supposed to be going. Either use arrows, use coins or give the map a logical flow so that I'm instinctively going the right way.

>but it's not about being inclusive
>everyone needs to enjoy

Fucking die retard

>100 checkpoints
>You can only place 2

Attached: 30a.jpg (475x356, 50K)

Normalizing experiences and bringing everything down to the same level by cutting it off at the knees is a weak way to get people to enjoy the content you make. If you can't participate you get better at it until you do. That is why other levels exist for people to work their way up in proficiency until they can accomplish the difficult tasks like no checkpoint levels.

Wanting there to be the same kind of safety net disregards all of the people who want to participate in a game experience that causes them tension. It invalidates their need for challenge because someone else is uncomfortable with not being to perform to the same standard. You don't just take that challenge or difficulty away because someone wants to be a part of something. I wouldn't get into playing a sport expecting that any kind of crutch would be given to me or a handicap in my favor in any skill based activity and it's absolutely absurd that anyone could think the same should be done in this instance.

Literally fucking get good.

Attached: 1525377559309.jpg (497x750, 383K)

Checkpoints are good for the puzzle levels. Bros if you make a puzzle level please put a checkpoint after each one so i dont have to redo a puzzle ive already solved

>i only make the HARDEST levels for HARDCORE gamers like me
just put down a flag in the middle of your shitty, long fuckin level you showerless geek. it’s not hard.

Attached: 532DC6E3-19EA-4A2E-877E-2E49ABC3C496.jpg (100x100, 19K)

Just put the checkpoints right at the start of the level back to back .

Get good you spastic wall licking fuck head.

>checkpoints have been a feature of games since the fucking NES
>dickhead’s come out of the woodworks when people ask for them to add even on fuckin flag in the middle of their long ass, boring levels
i see now why the “boo!” option was added

Attached: 9AB968E6-D45B-49D2-B838-8C6C25F75FCE.gif (656x368, 2.67M)

Go have an "incelebration" over your leet skills, Mr. Badass(pie)

Re-clearing what you already know how to get past is just artificial difficulty and that's moronic but you don't understand that because you're a pathetic brainlet.

Get good. If you can't repeat the process with the same level of dexterity the second time around you fucking failed and managed to get through a fluke the first time. It's not my fault your parents gifted you with hams for hands and shit for brains you walking abortion of a human being.

Just stick to endless normal, you big baby.
Not everyone wants a checkpoint in their level and that's fine. Just play another level if you can't beat it.

I thought Yea Forums agreed with Reggie when he said "if it's not fun, why bother?"
But now apparently games are all about being hardcore for the sake of being hardcore I guess

you deserved gamergasmgate, ya belligerent wiener stinkwich

xesevah

Fun is defined by the user you gibbering moron. If people like a hard game experience that is "fun" to them. Go read some books you cumstain.

You're implying that all levels where people want checkpoints in are difficult levels. Some of them are just 99% boredom easy with 1% at the end that's cheap, so you have to go through the entire process again.

NOPE
How about get good? I'm not going to cater to trannie Kotaku journalists who complain that Cuphead is too hard therefore it's bad

Are you 12?

Some people like that and it's a novel experience. If you don't stop being a baby back bitch and just don't play the level. Holy fucking shit, what a novel idea right?

Yes so in that case the purpose of the difficulty is to be fun. That's not hard to understand is it? Stop acting like difficulty itself is the be all end all.

And by some you mean nobody who's intelligent, I suppose? Go play Ride To Hell Retribution, retard. It'll be a novel experience for you.

>put checkpoint in
>put invisible blocks between checkpoint and player preventing them from getting it

There's several Mario Maker levels that do this and it's great desu.

It's because of niggers like you that the great games like Ghouls n' Ghosts are fucking dead

Classic. Even if I was I'd be happier in knowing that I was some 12 year old piece of shit instead of the monumental moron you must be. If I were your father I'd take the time to master quantum physics, build a time machine, and go back and take a claw hammer to you in the crib. It would at least redeem me for having given birth to such a fuck up such as yourself.
Just because you can't take the time to do anything moderately difficult doesn't mean other people can't as well. Stop projecting your inability onto others and hoping for mediocrity to be the norm so you don't look as bad in comparison. Simple.

>I can’t believe people would say level design should have standards
>When 99% of the community for SMM and SMM2 has made categories for bad levels

Alright, I'll bite out of pity. Here's your (you) friend.

That’s funny how you say that when several kaizo players know the importance of check points.

kaizo blocks 99% of the time is bad level design and no check points is bad level design 75% of the time.

isnt there an option to filter out the kaizo levels?

Imagine that bitch trying to play this
youtube.com/watch?v=0xLeiwxMWOU

Attached: 1561653256853.png (385x351, 276K)

except you have to prove it's possible to clear from the checkpoint

He's really pretty good. He has some fun videos and he's not obnoxious.

Yes they do. They just don't save them once you collect them all and it turns into a key. But if you have 2 out of 4 red coins and you hit a checkpoint and die, you will spawn back with those 2 coins.

Short hard level with no CP > Long easy level with CP

Some levels are complete tedium if you fuck up

whoa, calm down, champ. you got a little overzealous there. now go masturbate to your mommy. happy mommy! she's very proud of you! reply or she farts out her dildo in her sleep!

How are check points real? Like don't die, just jump

>require creators to successfully clear their level twice in a row without dying to allow it to be uploaded
>hidden blocks with powerups and vines are semitransparent instead of fully invisible
>if the level has the lowest autoscroll speed, restrict the length/height to half the normal value
>restrict the coin collection clear condition to a maximum of 50 coins
There. I single handily improved the level quality of the game by thousands.

>put in one checkpoint
>have to clear the level twice
>put in two checkpoints
>have to clear the level three times
>put in no checkpoints
>have to clear the level only once

So either I have to make a very hard level with no checkpoints so I only have to clear it once, or a very easy level with checkpoints so I can clear it multiple times. If you make a level have multiple checkpoints, its only hard on the creator, not the player. If my level has multiple checkpoint while still being so hard that it takes lots of attempts to clear it once, chances are, I won't be uploading it then, cause I cannot beat it that many times. It just goes against the point of checkpoints entirely:
>level is too hard
>ok, I add a checkpoint specifically so people can clear it more easily
>I have to beat it entirely without the thing I put in the level entirely because people cannot beat it without it

>Levels based around going in and out of a dozen pipes for pink coins

This is Mario Maker, not fucking Zelda Maker. Knock it off with the pink coins!

Attached: King-Crimson.jpg (640x640, 185K)

These are all terrible ideas and you should kys

It's as if everyone playing has already beaten other Mario games many many times and expects you to play on a higher level of difficulty which I like. Git gud or GTFO.

Having a level go on forever without a checkpoint is fake difficulty. Then again Mario Maker is filled to the brim with troll design decisions such as leaps of faith and having 3 doors where two kill you on entry.

>on-off block + shell timer puzzle
Seen it a million times you faggots, come up with something more interesting.

Attached: 1561552937450.jpg (1280x960, 157K)

Idiot the reason people don't use checkpoints is because they have to complete it from the start and then again from each checkpoint. People who don't put checkpoints in long as hell levels haven't made a fun level. Unless it's a troll level and in that case it's no big deal because troll levels are always fun if they're creative

The damage control though
So play a level with a checkpoint in it
Not everything has to bend over backwards to appeal just to you guys

ghouls n ghosts had checkpoints

>Have to press on/off block at the perfect time to lead an enemy to a noteblock that poops out a key

Fuck these levels and fuck how many there are of them!

Attached: 1542322521465.png (500x469, 99K)

>Normalizing experiences and bringing everything down to the same level by cutting it off at the knees is a weak way to get people to enjoy the content you make
Not every level needs a checkpoint but having no checkpoints doesn't really change the difficulty of the stage itself. In some cases it just a cheap way to create artificial difficulty so that if you die on a hard level you have to do the whole thing over. Especially with troll levels, or easy levels that last forever but then have a hard ending. You're not really better at the game because there isn't a checkpoint, it just means you have more patience.

Attached: 1536854704064.jpg (575x575, 48K)

>have to press on/off blocks with perfect timing to hit Bowser with a shell
>twenty fucking times

Attached: 1551920353364.png (500x518, 131K)

Me and my discord bros are going to mass spam "Put some checkpoints in your Mario Maker levels" into every level we play while leaving a boo. Should do a good job of hiding Yea Forums's garbage.

Attached: 1553729045834.png (860x723, 874K)

>Pipes hanging in midair
>Necessary powerup just lying around, not in a pipe so it doesn't come back if you get hit
>Coin trail doesn't match jump trajectory
>Not capitalizing the level name

That sounds incredibly cunty.

Yes. I can put them in the begining or in a pit where you are forced to restart the hard level.

Attached: 1468942471678.gif (600x338, 1.62M)

>make a challenging but fair level
>no one likes it
>make a braindead easy level
>everyone loves it

Attached: 1534548416539.jpg (500x483, 33K)

You can't do that. When you upload a level, the game forces you to clear it from the very beginning and from checkpoints. Meaning you can't put in any checkpoints that make a level unbeatable.

>"damage control"

I can't stop laughing at you. Maybe it'll give me the time needed to "lurk more" or something, LOL!

eh, im lazy so id just go with "needs checkpoints"

This article might have a point, I'm sick of autists who don't put checkpoints because their own level was too bad for them to want to clear twice. No matter how good your level literally everybody will skip it if they die 3 minutes
Why don't you play through any super mario brothers game, but restart the entire game every time you die. By your own autistic logic it will be the same game but better since it's only for the elite hardcore gamers who don't need savepoints
You may only place 2 checkpoints per level, and red coins are the only things saved between checkpoints, so each of the 2 checkpoints has 10-12 uses
You can only place them in separate sub areas
No checkpoints is fine if the level is short, has no way to die, or will have red coins messed up as a result
But that is more or less memorizing button inputs than actually playing a level
They should make it that you can make a certain number of kills needed to get the checkpoint (limited to one checkpoint), the checkpoint saves the number of kills, the creator must grab the checkpoint in the full run, and starts with the number of kills needed to get it in the mini run
>my level is so bad that I, the creator, am only willing to play it once
The popular section of the game is honestly horrible. So glad they made half of the cosmetics in the game only available to faggots who spam the same two switch block puzzles

Get dunked on scrub. I went back and made one of my levels easier and shorter for your punkass and you still conplained. If you can't handle a little bit of challenge, maybe consider playing a different game.

Patrician leveldesign is:
-enough coins to get atleast 2 lives and 1 by reachin the top of the pole
-either short without checkpoint, or long with a checkpoint in the middle
-aesthetic leveldesign, no shitspamm or unfinished stuff
-no dev exit cheating
-tough situations shoul be solveable due to skill rather than respawning over and over to see what actually happens
you can clearly tell whats good leveldesign or not.

Every level in the popular tab
require creators to successfully clear their level twice in a row without dying to allow it to be uploaded
I like this idea
>hidden blocks with powerups and vines are semitransparent instead of fully invisible
Nah, would stop people from hiding bonus powerups/one ups, just boo kaizo blocks/ dev stars to hell
>>if the level has the lowest autoscroll speed, restrict the length/height to half the normal value
>>restrict the coin collection clear condition to a maximum of 50 coins
I legitimately couldn't of made my one level if these were in place
Don't upload levels that you can't beat faggot
You can actually make interesting obstacles with it if it isn't just signle jumps
>Pink coins that need superball to collect
>sub area is the main area but upside down or with a few things changed
>on/off switch to guide shell
>-enough coins to get atleast 2 lives and 1 by reachin the top of the pole
This is the based mans choice, I usually include 100+ coins, a hidden 1 up (2 if it's a castle), and a moderately difficult but nonlethal flagpole
>-aesthetic leveldesign, no shitspamm or unfinished stuff
yeah, a few purely aesthetic slopes during downtime and background semisolid platforms improve most levels greatly

>This isn't Sekiro where the entire point of the game is to be difficult.

>Entire point of the game is to make your own levels.
>Entire point of the game is you get to decide how easy or hard the levels are.
>Game even has system where you can sort out difficulty.

Press A to preform a verb

You can’t use them with win conditions though

>random floating paths with no rhyme or reason
would it kill 80% of these people to make their stages look like real mario levels?

I never wanted to reply "have sex" to a post but goddamn you are making it difficult.

*AHEM*

Attached: 1562098978281.jpg (250x250, 6K)

t. literally unable to counter user's points so acts like a passive aggressive little bitch

have sex

>>level recreations
>>levels themed around other games that don’t play well in Mario

I played great levels about Castlevania, BotW and DKC2.

What if its fun without checkpoints, retard? What if adding checkpoints makes it less fun? Retard?

I disagree with OPs post but you are also a huge faggot

where's the mario brother 2 levels?
FAIL i thought they included that in the game

I'd add checkpoints if 1UPs mattered.

soothe and gyrate

Well, you've certainly convinced me. That guy's opinion on video game difficulty was for virgins only. What a faggot.

GOTTEM

Gaming "journalism" is the greatest fucking joke.

Have Dilate

well let's hear it

>no built-in Kaizo tag for Mario Maker shit
Trials did it years ago for Ninja tracks and it only benefit from it being able to filter them out.

as long as there are no dev routes or troll blocks in front of a jump, it's a good level

When will autists learn that "hard" isn't automatically "good?"
They do in Endless Mode

You can't go and say you made a great racoon level without posting it here, user.

Then don't add a checkpoint.
I haven't seen anyone in this thread say "no I won't add a checkpoint because that would be less fun"
It's just people screeching about how games have to be hardcore and how dare games journalists want to dumb down games, games should be inaccessible and only the most skilled should be able to beat a level