What does Yea Forums think of Alan Wake?

What does Yea Forums think of Alan Wake?

At first, I really enjoyed it. Good atmosphere and visuals, especially considereing the age of the game, just felt fun progressing.
But after some time, I feel like this game has some problems and lacks a general theme direction.

- the "third person shooter" mechanic doesnt carry the game enough gameplay wise, it just isnt interesting enough, gets stale after some time
- it doesnt work as a survial horror game because of the way the action is scripted with the result of having quite enough of supplies, big light sauces saving your game and filling your health.
- it doesnt work as story driven game enough, because the story is a hot mess
- its also no silent hill in terms of horror atmosphere of course

Sure it is worth playing, but it has lots of wasted potential imo.

Attached: AlanWake_06_Cutout_720p.png.jpg (1280x720, 125K)

It drags on way to long for what it offers.

yeah, thats kinda what I meant. Needed something more to keep you interested. Clever gameplay twist or a story that isnt laughable the last third of the game.
Interesting freaky dream sequence level or something.

The purest form of cinematic garbage

It has exactly the same one-dimensional brain-dead gameplay at the end as it does at the beginning

You obtain nothing, you learn nothing, it practically plays itself, so you're just left with the story

Massively overrated shit

I honest-to-god despised pretty much every single second of it. I can't think of any single redeeming factor of it. I have more complaints about the narrative than the gameplay, but that is because the gameplay was so fucking basic and boring while the story was SO FUCKING LITTERED with god-fucking-awful decisions that it results in a seeming disproportion.

The story is frankly one of the fucking worse I've ever seen in a "cinematic" game. I don't even know where to start with listing what is wrong with it. It takes literally minutes before it entirely falls apart, and it just becomes increasingly fucking insulting as it goes. I have NO fucking idea how people could fucking be OK with it.

The gameplay itself is "just" insanely boring, poorly paced and at times, annoying.

Deadly Premonition was better.

>What does Yea Forums think of Alan Wake?

A game that was going to be the next Silent Hill, ended up in development hell for years, turned into a shitty shooter and then partially salavged itself by becoming a mediocre shooter in the sequels. I regard Anal Weak as the beginning of Remedy's downfall after the glorious Max Payne and sequel.

>in the sequels.
Meant in the DLCs, obv

Unironically this.

Same. Except the stuff about the story, because the game was too fucking boring and braindead easy for me to actually finish.

It ran like shit on my computer, I hated the mechanics and didn't feel the story was that entertaining - I stopped playing at halfway of the game and uninstalled.

The nicest thing I can say about it is that the gunplay is very solid. It should be, since it was copied almost 1:1 from Max Payne (sans jumpdodges). Flare rocket is a very satisfying nuke, shotgun feels great, even the basic bitch pistol feels pretty good to shoot with.

Enemy variety is almost nonexistent, there are like three enemy types in the entire game and the game is 20 hours so you get tired of them real fast.

It was very meh.
Clearly raped by Microsoft's demands to turn a DX10 flagship PC exclusive, into an Xbox 360 exclusive.

>20 hours
nah, more like 12 hours.

Wow, I didnt realize there is so much hate for this game. Well I guess I forget where I am.

But like I said, I agree it has some problems.

Oh yeah, and I think some actual puzzles(not, "shine light at thingy") would have been nice.

I don't hate it, but I think it's average at absolute best and a ridiculous downgrade from Max Paynes which were both 9.5/10 games.

>Wow, I didnt realize there is so much hate for this game.
You call this ""hate""?
The game was just mediocre AF. And this is coming from a Finn-fag, who considered Remedy to be our biggest savior and messenger after Nokia.
They've done nothing but bad deals ever since they gave up rights to Max Payne.

I think having an actually straight up insulting story in a game that sacrifices everything to achieve a cinematic narrative is a bigger problem than just the lack of puzzles.

What's your beef with the story? It's just a blatant Stephen King pastiche that's not any worse than any random below-average book by him.

They should have kept it more open world like they planned to. Could have been like Deadly Premonitions.

american nightmare was the only good one and its removed from sale due to using licensed music.

hope you liked fucking kasabian

Yeah, still do not understand why they made it open but not the original.

>What's your beef with the story?
The better question is: What isn't. The characters are god awful, with Alan being the absolute worst of them: He is an insufferable whinny faggot from start nearly to finish and the ending transformation does not feel at any point earned. His wife is bland and unlikable as hell too, with the only time she has on the screen not giving the player a SINGLE reason to care for her, despite her kidnapping being the game's main driving motivation - which also happens to be so INSANELY poorly handled that I'm willing to bet half of the players straight up forget about her before half-way point of the story.
The events are god fucking terrible, with characters making NOTHING but utterly retarded choices: the scene of Alan and one of the other walking clichés getting drunk, and especially that fucking PAINFUL scene with the possessed waitress being some of the WORST FUCKING WRITING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE.
None of it has flow, the pacing is attrocious. It uses elements ripped out of both King and Twin Peaks but understands NOTHING about what made those works compelling what so ever: it just shatters immersion at every second with how fucking blatant and poorly incorporated they are into the narrative.
And while we are at it: if you are so fucking dumb to include that fucking possessed waitress scene, AND use a "Alan finds pieces of his story serving as a forshadowing (and literally just spoiling every single plot-twist)", don't allow the character to straight up READ he is going to be betrayed, ACKNOWLEDGING that those pages are DIEGETIC FUCKING PART OF THE STORY, AND THAT HE KNOWS THEY ARE FORTELLING FUTURE, but then have him obliviously walk into the trap anyway.

It fucking basic common sense. The whole scene was so painful on it's own, but having Alan KNOW about it happening and still going through with it is fucking retarded beyond ANY belief.

It's fraknly horrifying how bad it is.