Was he right?

Was he right?

Attached: 1449895316517.png (602x317, 54K)

>another literally who twitter faggot
Get a life

absolutely. console apis and architecture are always shit

zoom zoom

those are some dumb ass numbers coming from the guy who absolutely fucked rage

Anyone who knows even a little about programming can tell you that an API for fixed hardware will be far more efficient than one made for hundreds of configs.
You cannot use the best algorithms when coding the functions when you don't know what hardware the machine's gonna have.

How can anyone who isn't a shitposter or retarded deny that?

He was right, until consoles adopted laptop hardware. Now only the second half is pertinent.

and besides, anyone less tech-savvy should have come to this realization by simply comparing the performance of a $300 console to a $300 PC.

>implying carmack has done anything worth a fuck in 35 years
Boomers barely know this clown. Yeah. Doom. We get it. Vr is fucking gay.

It's a Moore's law type observation, so it can't really be wrong.
Profit margins go like this:
Mobile > PC > breaking even > Console
Performance ceiling goes like this:
PC > Console > Mobile
This is aided by consoles being the easiest to develop for, but the software side actually is very even when developers are using DX12 and Vulkan.
The main value focus is shifting as consoles become mini-PCs.

>literally who eceleb fag twitter screenshot
yawn

>eCeleb
>John Carmack
You mean the motherfucka who made Doom. Fuck off zoomer. Sorry he's not Wakka Flakka Flame or some shit.

Becoming less apparent in later years because pretty much everyone is running the same hardware. Also console hardware has been a massive disappointment this gen.

The way most companies use middleware like Unreal and Unity, it doesn't fucking matter. They all scale the same hardware wise. That's why so many games just work better on PC with no extra effort. Where as you can get a similar experience to consoles if you build a PC with similar hardware.

Attached: 1561432817469.jpg (400x400, 50K)

>Was he right?
Would be if he didn't release Rage a few years back.

Yes? And?

He made that shitty ass movie? Yikes, even less credible now.

stop getting baited, retards

Dont talk shit about flocka. Hes based.

Attached: 20190707_122306.jpg (1440x477, 211K)

I'm kind of torn on this, The guy clearly knows his shit
So how can he say something so unbelievable retarded?
I get what he's saying from an optimization standpoint but Consoles pretty much are just bolted down PC's
In fact: People have even benchmarked games on a console and "console equivalent" parts and the performance was around the same.

PS4 struggles to hit 1080p meaning, according to Carmack, a GPU equivalent would struggle to run that same game at a resolution of 540p.

PS4 has about 2000 Gflops for its GPU, so does a GTX760 (it has a bit more). Looking at Black Ops 4, the GTX760 gets about 40fps, PS4 gets 60 (I think). So yeah, that seems about right.

just, no

>incomprehensible techno babble
Fuck this nerd

He is right, you know

>dumb down PC aka consoles will deliver twice the perf of a PC
go back to your shitty doom john

The PS4 doesn't have a GPU.

Attached: skeleton-at-computer.jpg (600x900, 73K)

Welcome to Good Burger! Can I take your order?

It's an APU, doesn't mean there's not a GPU in there you dipshit.

This is true, but the proportions are wildly incorrect.
Consoles get a decent performance:parts ratio because they are set in terms of their parts. A developer knows, 100%, how every single Xbox will perform and so the games are tuned to that.
In theory one could replicate a consoles settings on PC and, most likely, achieve relatively similar performance ratios.

PC sacrifices efficiency for more freedom. Want to upscale? Do it. Want to downscale? Do it. Want to make everyone into touhou girls? Do it.
Consoles? Hope you enjoy aliasing and dynamic resolution scaling making everything a blurry mess.

Compared to what?
For making video games they are the ideal environment in terms of API and architecture.

>a multipurpose machine has the same performance as a dedicated gaming machine.

lol

Zenimax fucked rage. Don't be fooled.

On one hand, consoles are designed almost solely to play games and said games are designed entirely for a single specification.
On the other hand, portability and size constraints of all consoles mean they can't really go to town with that budget the same way a PC can.
That complicates it as you can easily build a PC that will outperform a switch for the same price, but a ps4 would be a lot more difficult

Portable consoles really fall under mobile in my opinion, same constraints as in a laptop for example.

Of course he is.
But the problem with Carmack is he has terminal autism and while this is technically correct it lacks any context to explain it.

>lacks any context to explain it
it's as if he was limited to twitter character limit.

Which is why it's pretty useless user.

>Implying game dev companies give a shit about optimization outside of the gimmick of the year

Attached: 1531828534523.gif (245x219, 948K)

I don't know what's worse, people who keep posting this out of context Twitter screencap or people who keep falling for this shit.

After the minecraft asspull you can suck my dick sellout shill.

Blops4 is also hilariously bloated on pc

Carmack is a charlatan.

Reminder that Xbone and PS4 are sold at a loss

Really makes you think

It's the only game from the top of my head that I know that's popular enough to still get GTX760 benchmarks, and runs at 60 on consoles. If you really care you can look up others, but I can't be bothered.
The benchmark I looked up did use an overkill CPU though.

yes, just like gates was right about nobody ever needing more than 500 kb of ram

Here's an example any brainlet should understand.
Playing a game is screwing a nut.
Console is taking a wrench and screwing it. You just put it on and turn around, but you also need specific wrench for specific set of nuts.
PC is using spanner instead. It can fit on fuckload of nuts, but you have to spend some time adjusting it first, and it's more bulky than simple wrench.
And mobile is using pliers instead. In theory it should work, but on practice it's usually ass compared to first two tools.

In theory he's right but for devs just using a premade engine they're not doing a lot of low level optimizations anyway.
The main advantage of a console is that you can design around its limitations and cheat exactly enough to hit your performance target. Configuration settings are always limited in what they can do. The downside is that this is usually tuned for a 'cinematic' 30fps

compared to a constantly evolving, updating and improving PC instead of a lump of tech that's obsolete before it even launches.

>game devs
they do actually, especially if they make the engine from scratch like most large companies do.
There's a reason they're forced to do a bunch of weird visual tricks in all their games, because if they don't the entire thing runs like garbage. Even high end PCs are incapable of handling the quality you think you see without using shortcuts.

look at the performance he's pulling out of a tiny little mobile chip on the quest and tell me he's wrong.

But that is a lie. The API and firmware gets constant updates. The hardware never changes so you can rest assured your code runs identical on all set-ups. Logistically that is the 100% ideal scenario.

>This is aided by consoles being the easiest to develop for
Source? Oh wait, you don't have one.

For anyone wanting the real facts:
Mobile is the easiest do develope for.

This. It used to be true.

In theory, with experienced and competent devs that are used to the hardware, yes. In practice, no, it's almost never the case.
There's little reason to properly optimize for specific hardware when modern consoles are essentially just PCs that are locked down slightly differently. You make one version with minor tweaks, that's it.
Carmack knows his theory but his actual recent hands-on gamedev experience is lacking. The last game he made before this comment was fucking rage many years prior and this shows that off pretty clearly.

Attached: 1385858959195.gif (351x498, 65K)

Consoles run with mobile hardware though.
LEL

In theory, consoles may have less overhead to deal with but their architecture might be holding them back. PS4 can't even do shit like 16x AF which PC has been effortlessly doing with dedicated GPUs for over more than a decade.

With the likes of vulkan slowly becoming more commonplace and consoles being locked down PCs for the last two or three console generations, how applicable is this anymore? To a certain extent as many anons have said already to some degree this is unquestionably true, but not nearly to those amounts.

wasn't steam going to build an os for vidya?

They did, but then steam machines flopped because they were trying to sell consoles to PC players.

Imagine being this retarded and still so smug. Wow.

It's true though, we're just very wasteful.

Technically he's correct.

The thing is though, most consoles are already obsolete by the time they come out, so any time of performace bonuss will be outclassed by the stronger hardware of the PC.

A $400 PC will perform better than an X.

>make one good thing 30 years ago
>coast on it the rest of your life

Cringe.

There are no android apps that actually take advantage of the CPU core variance
You have the absolute worst consistency