Name a better metroidvania

Name a better metroidvania

you can't

Attached: hk_eshop_banner.jpg (700x394, 58K)

Why did you post a blank image OP wtf

It's not a Metroidvania though, it's a Metroid-clone.
Metroidvanias are bloated disasters of design, by design.

Give me a challenge next time.

Attached: Cave Story.jpg (1024x859, 164K)

Attached: Metroidz.jpg (385x550, 117K)

based

hollow knight is fucking great and i cant wait for silksong

>Metroidvanias are bloated disasters of design, by design.

how so?

while good, doesnt beat hollow knight.
next

You're a fucking retard. Splitting genres too far results in them being meaningless since they then only apply to three games ever. You're also a fucking retard by conflating genre with quality. Saying that a game can't be a certain genre because it's good or bad is the stupidest thing anyone could possibly say about video games.

Kill yourself tranny

>Name a better metroidvania
Fallout 76

Is there a NG+ in Hollow Knight?

No.

The esoteric requirements for the true ending make it impossible for me to consider this game anything higher than an 8/10.

Hollow knight is supremely overrated. Kys.

Fuck. Oh well, I won't try speedruns then.

>Yea Forums consistently shat on this game until it came out on switch and all of the manbabies got their hands on it
You're all massive plebs.

Attached: 1556527154835.jpg (1000x1000, 66K)

It isn't, it's the best I've seen in the genre.

I'm just happy I got it on sale for 7 bucks on my switch. Game is pretty comfy.

Super Metroid

I bet you're the only be that likes to call modern tactical RPGs xcom-clones

Hardly overrated. An overrated game would be Nier:A and BOTW which have glaring flaws yet are held on a pedestal. HK doesn't have many if any flaws

god this game was so good, that bit when agent black loses her shit by the rocket was kino.

what is the true ending?

Okay. Should be easy to answer the OP question then.

There is no

tell us why is overrated

While I say that hollow knight is probably an objectively better product (price:good gameplay), I found myself enjoying Ori more

>what is the true ending?
Apparently the Switch version's manual has a secret code you can translate to find the requirements, but that's a very new thing that wasn't included for over a decade of the game's release. Here's the requirements from the manual

"When Booster falls in the Labyrinth, don't talk to him. Jump across the gap instead. In the Core area, find the Tow Rope in the water and use it on Curly after you defeat the Core. Put Curly on the bed in the cabin in the Waterway. Read the book, drain Curly of water and don't leave her behind. Get the Booster v2.0 from Arthur's House. Talk to Curly and the Cthulhu in the Plantation to learn about the Mushroom. Get a Badge from the Storage Room in Mimiga Village Cemetery and examine the Badge. Talk to Ma Pignon, defeat it and feed it to Curly in the Plantation to get the Iron Bond. After defeating the Undead Core, use the trap door in the prefab building to enter the Blood Stained Sanctuary. Finish this area for the "Best Ending."

RPG stats and chance-based loot systems elements have no place in largely well-paced, well-designed maps. Or at least, haven't been done well.

>Splitting genres too far
"Metroidvania" is a loaded phrase for "Explorative-driven 2D platformer". Action-adventure platformer worked fine longed before people started using a genre name that explicitly marks games as derivative.

If anything, I'd like to see Metroidvania as a term retired. It exists solely to describe Iga's brand of bullshit and should have died with his Konami career. Indies and new games should be trying to innovate. Hollow Knight is great, but would have been better if it wholly concentrated on what made it unique. More off-the-beat upgrades and movement powers, concentrating on the charm system, it's close to being inspired and not derivative.

Cave Story and La Mulana are good examples of what indie games can be when they're not just trying to be Super Metroid or Metroidvanias.

Zero Mission

for me it's just the opposite
games lacking esoteric requirements for the true ending are impossible to score any higher than 7/10

Metroid
Castlevania

Rabi-Ribi

>RPG stats and chance-based loot systems elements have no place

Aside from Igavanias, I don't think I see much of that

did you play ori before or after?

yeah but what happens? I heard it's possible that one or more of your allies join you on the last boss fight, didn't happen for me though. but what happens with true ending?

SotN

La-Mulana, easily

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night

Same.

I honestly think HK was much more worth the money due to side content, which Ori brutally lacks, but i really enjoyed say, my first playthrough of Ori much more than HK's.

Are you gonna make this shill thread every day? I got fucking baited into buying this game during sale and i hate it.

where's the vania in hollow knight?

Im not the guy you quoted and i dont think the game is bad but i do think its overrated :

- combat is kinda shit, enemies are all a joke with 2 - 3 exceptions

- bosses are kinda shit and weak. Few godhome / NKG exceptions

- The game is too easy

I still think the game is a solid 8.5/10 tho

>esoteric requirements
>glaring red line for jumping over the pit
>glaring sparkling spot for the tow rope
>shack in the underwater area that seems to serve no other purpose
>prefab building has a line of text about feeling wind from somewhere

Hollow Knight would have been a better game if the devs hadn't played Dark Souls.
Prove me wrong.

>it's that redditvania shill again

Hollow Knight is quickly securing a spot alongside Sonic the Hedgehog, Undertale, FNaF, Homestuck, and My Little Pony as "the fanbase that wont shut the fuck up about something mediocre because they got attached to the art style"
Smashfags would be in this list but they at least have a decent game attached to speak of so they get off on a technicality, but the fanbase is still pretty cancerous.

Attached: f48758de5149885e862a07703d0e143a730f537c_00.jpg (272x364, 19K)

>just start from a checkpoint, instead of start from a checkpoint and also fight a ghost for some pocket money
If there was a stamina bar, sure, otherwise the comparisons between Dark Souls and Hollow Knight are about as shallow as the comparisons between Dark Souls and Shovel Knight.

I don't like how little "customization" there is in HK. You play SotN, and you have all of these weapons, sub-weapons, armors, etc. In Hollow Knight, you just have flat upgrades to your health/weapon, and a very flawed badge system (flawed because some of the badges are basically obligatory and eat up most of your BP)
Also this

Nah, it's the only reason the world and lore is so good.

can you save royal in the secret ending?

If you only see the Dark Souls influence in the fact that you lose your currency, you haven't played Dark Souls.

bloated mess

very poorly designed

waifu shit, terrible level design

old and busted

Don't they have the same method of healing, where you have to find a safe spot to stand still and do an animation to heal? I haven't played DS, but from what I've seen that's very similar.

I agree, I really don't get why zoomers compare everything to dark souls, like you said, the only similarities between HK and dark souls are shared between SK and dark souls, yet people never compare the latter.

Super Metroid

you absolutely need to kill yourself

I know only one.

Attached: LaMulana (Original).jpg (480x360, 42K)

How is LM poorly designed?

die

Did you read the requirements posted ?

The first step alone is enough to make 90 percent of players miss it not just the first time but every time. You have to purposely do several things out of order from when a normal player would with no indication.

You're working backwards and saying it's so simple after figuring it out already. Without a guide, I refuse to believe more than 1 out of 1000 players found it on their own.

How much platforming does it have?
It looks like a good game but I don't like platforming.

>The first step alone is enough to make 90 percent of players miss it not just the first time but every time.
THERE IS A FUCKING RED LINE THAT YOU CANNOT IGNORE WHICH INDICATES WHERE YOU MUST JUMP

There's a lot of vertical space usage to make up for the lack of detail in the environments due to muh artstyle.

>bloated mess

No, that would be Hollow Knight.

My brother. Although the Twin Labyrinths area can go fuck itself.

Are you being retarded on purpose? It's the not talking to Booster part that's nonsensical you idiot.

>Don't they have the same method of healing, where you have to find a safe spot to stand still and do an animation to heal?
A lot of games have interruptible heals. City of Heroes, Paragon the game with actual graphics, probably others.
When you think of Dark Souls' signature healing system, it's more about limited heals between checkpoints anyway, which Hollow Knight doesn't have.

shitty flash games can't be metroidvania.

I only remember how often you could get softlocked in the first game

Attached: La-Mulana.gif (118x129, 22K)

HK doesn't have tons of samey weapons and spells that add nothing to the game

Do you also prefer the original La Mulana over the remake?

Before, to be fair

what do you guys imagine when a guy says this game is easy? all i can is a guy trying to look cool.
the game is the hardest metroidvania out there, easily. Any not retarded man can 112% it if they put enthusiasm on it (with the 5th pantheon included), but of course it requires more effort than the average videogame

If you go down to talk to him, then you realize that you can't get back up, which means that you can't make use of the red line jumping spot. Use your head. They wouldn't put that line there for no reason, so you must have to jump across.

I've only played the original. It's probably the most impactful gaming experience I've had, alongside Deus Ex, Morrowind and a few others.
I still can't decide whether I love or hate the game, though. Certain things are too cryptic and I had to check the walkthrough often.

I seriously hope you are baiting.

>imagine have the most absolute taste ever
>then rejoice that it's still better than OPs

Attached: 1560318373437.jpg (1020x1024, 96K)

Name 5 flash games that look like HK.
By first game do you mean the original or the remake? Because I don't remember any in the remake.
Only the Pantheon of Hallownest is hard

>slash slash slash jump backwards slash slash slash dont stand in explosion
okay, look I realize the short melee range might be difficult to people used to ranged combat like in Metroid but you can't seriously say the majority of this game isn't just walking tedium with a couple of meme bosses that are good.

La-Mulana will always be my favorite. Hollow Knight is great though and I'm looking forward for the sequel.
>very poorly designed
Now that's just plain wrong.

Want to play SotN, is it really stupid to do a luck run for first time? Think it sounds cool

Fuck off Randy

hm. all wrong.

Dude 90 percent of the bosses can be beaten on first/second try by people who don't have to wear helmets all day

This game fucking sucked.
The combat pacing sucked.
Having to buy parts for the map every new area sucked.
The slowness of the game, especially at the beginning, sucked.
The areas being huge amounts of empty space sucked.
Discouraging exploration far from benches with the dark souls geo ghost system was stupid.
there's a billion other problems with it I can't even be bothered to recall right now, but this was one of the worst metroidvanias I've played.

>NEStroid instead of Super or ZM

silence boomer

Oh fuck off and be dismissive somewhere else.

A ton of weapons in SotN have unique effects or attributes
Hollow Knight's system of just upgrading one weapon is fucking boring

I'm playing it right now, just made it to the Mantis Lords. It's fun and pretty comfy but I don't even think it's the best metroidvania of this year

Attached: 20190625_125214.jpg (4160x3120, 3.76M)

Never play a special run of a game the first time you play it

Has some questionable design choices and its technically not as well designed as Super Metroid but at the end of the day it feels fantastic to play and that's what really matters.

Attached: sotn.jpg (1200x800, 195K)

That's because it came out in 2017, switch baby

I got bored of it around the beehive area

>Metroidvania
>literal Metroid clone
>only Vania in it is the low tech aesthetic

What the actual fuck is password pak?

JP Metroid had save slots, EU and USA version just used passwords. They tried to market it as a feature, I guess, but that's all "Password Pak" refers to.

Why are you so autistic about a genre name

Password saves as opposed to battery saves

Attached: metroid.jpg (300x428, 52K)

>Action-adventure platformer worked fine
Yep, that's how I've been organizing things.

Attached: action adventure platformer.png (1920x1200, 3.44M)

>pointing out that something is wrong and makes no sense is autistic
stop
just fucking call it a metroid-like or some other name if it has nothing to do with castlevania

I fucking love false flag threads.

Because it's a literal genre name for grouping games of a similar type. It doesn't have to follow all of the tropes of both games to be "metroidvania", "metroidvania" is the grouping term for indie games that are inspired by one or both of them

Lmao

Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Hollow Knight: Silksong

:-)

It's on a smaller scale but SMT Syncronicity Prologue was pretty cool hee ho

Attached: SMTSP_Wallpaper.png (1920x1080, 527K)

this. only BOTW is highly overrated

>less backtracking and confusion
>not a tile based levels with straight terrain throughout a whole game
>better platforming experience and puzzles
>straightforward skill tree
>short and fun instead of 25+hrs of snoozefest
>best looking metroidvania so far

Attached: 435346.jpg (1920x1080, 286K)

Not even the best 2d Metroid game.

Attached: AM2R.jpg (640x299, 45K)

found the basedboy manchild

>less backtracking and confusion

you mean linear, "follow the marker" style game, when a metroidvania is supposed to be about exploration

It's less linear than every 2D Metroid besides the OG and Super

ur shitting on DS, so fi fo fuu u are wrong, casul scum

I LITERALLY CAN'T! It's perfect!

Attached: 1552134612287.gif (620x465, 1.26M)

>"follow the marker"
There is no markers and you still need to explore the world to find a links to next location and stuff. It's just less confusing and more logical than most games in the same genre.

overrated shit

for me its a 10/10

lol

>no one ever talks about Stealth Inc
That game was great

Now that's what I call an epic argument

That's right

Attached: sfc_super_metroid_front.jpg (1188x960, 121K)

La Mulana
Rabi ribi
Axiom Verge
Valdis Story
Enviromental Station Alpha

but those are dogshit

I agree with this

>Valdis Story

You da MVP, that's a criminally underrated game

Heard about Symphony of the Night? Play it, it's now for free with Xbox Live Gold so it's your chance

It's fucking poop though.

Agreed, those basedfaggots jump and drool when Iga just anounced SotN x OoE crossover.

I've been lurking in the subreddit, and the game looks like a shitfest of 7/10, for all the hype it got and keeps getting.

>Valdis Story

Man, you have good taste. Criminally underrated game, all these fuckers should read my spam about this vidya because it's fuckin 9/10 in comparison with shit like CrappyKnight

>fnaf
>appealing artstyle
what games do you like user?

I like how it rips off dark souls story and lore, but unlike dark souls, it actually makes sense

It actually doesn't, though

>ESA
You goddamn right

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 79K)

I never said appealing, just attached.

Was rabi ribi actually good

Attached: fukmin-dx2.png (430x690, 16K)

Only if you like bullet hell and naked anime girls

Metroid 2 is too linear to be a metroidvavia

What was confusing to you?

I like both of those. What else does the game have?

Hornet shouldn't have feet.

play more games

Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Super Metroid
La Mulana
Cave Story
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Wonder Boy III (Sega Master System version)
Metroid (Famicom Disc System Version)

I beat The Radiance and loved my time with Hollow Knight. I’d include it with the list above as my favorites in the genre. HKs biggest flaw is that it has too many meaningless secretless wide open spaces. This works in the city of tears, but there isn’t always a reason. There are also not enough benches IMO. It helps when you get the dream nail ability, but it’s not quite enough.

If I had to pick a GOAT; it would probably be Metroid. Dark, brooding, isolated. It’s a miracle on Famicom hardware.

why

You have amazing taste except for metroid 1 which is shit. It's got too many giant identical rooms which make navigation incredibly difficult compared to all of the other metroid games except 2, which is a nightmare. Plus the combat and bosses are kinda crap.

The real scoop in kotakus metroidvania article should've been that all games in this genre suck massive cock

>Wonder Boy III
Not with that unfair difficulty and the shitty charm system.

>Name 5 flash games that look like HK.
Alien Hominid
Castle Crashers
Battleblock Theater
Pit People
Dad n Me
Peaceplane
Train Robber
Chainsaw the Children
Cantankerous Tank
Supers Soldier

Attached: Screen_Shot_2016-12-07_at_7.59.13_PM_1024x1024.png (414x422, 105K)

>less backtracking
This is bad because it has way too little backtracking to the point that it almost stops resembling a Metroidvania
>and confusion
It's your fault for being a pleb who gets confused by Hollow Knight's world. It's design is outstanding. I would understand if you were confused in La-Mulana or Metroid 1, but Hollow Knight?
>not a tile based levels
What's bad with this?
>straight terrain
Sure, it's cubic, but the world still isn't flat.
>better platforming experience
Correct.
>and puzzles
Wrong.
>straightforward skill tree
Hollow Knight doesn't even have a skill tree, it has the badges. You shouldn't compare these two completely different systems.
>short and fun
Correct.
>instead of 25+hrs of snoozefest
Except Hollow Knight isn't a snoozefest. The last boss is anticlimactic, but outside of that the game is great.
>best looking metroidvania so far
Arguable, as there are other contenders for that title.

I found the overall movement and platforming in this game more enjoyable. The save system was pretty unique as well and wasn't too frustrating.

Hollow Knight gets way too much love for something so meh... Guacamelee is far more entertaining with a faster pace and doesn't get nearly as much love.

Does Hollow Knight even have puzzles? I guess the flower sort of is one

That Michael Jackson puzzle was just too much for me.

angry white boys don't like playing a n alpha brown man because it scares them. Guacamelee is fucking amazing with a good sound track.

Why do metroidvanias have the best soundtracks?

Guacamelee fucking sucked fucked off

They didn’t play dark souls

Hollow Knight was good, but I still like Aria of Sorrow more.

Might just be nostalgia though.

>It's your fault for being a pleb who gets confused by Hollow Knight's world
How so if design of the world doesn't even trying to point player in the right direction? It's just fucking boring to go through same locations until you find the right solution or path to next area. I went through the whole map and checked every corner 3x times and still haven't found where to go next. Yeah totally my fault. And I was really enjoying this game until that bullshit. It's ok and even fun for a while but the moment you find youself in the same fucking loop for hours it's just turning into pointless waste of time. Dark souls is kind of has same flaw too.
>not a tile based levels
>What's bad with this?
Just outdated and generic design to me. The only reason platformers were made of tiles is technical limitations of the past hardware. Don't see much of the point to keep that in current day.

Attached: 14826719196080.jpg (604x604, 39K)

>How so if design of the world doesn't even trying to point player in the right direction?
t. never talked to elder bug

How's The Mummy Demastered?

Good visuals and OST, terrible gameplay