The technology is long surpassed but this games still holds up. What made Half Life 2 so good?

The technology is long surpassed but this games still holds up. What made Half Life 2 so good?

Attached: ecd0444e0fc5072a_1200xH.jpg (848x477, 320K)

Aesthetics.

They put like 5 years of autism into it
Also the facial animations were a decade ahead of it's time

so much so that games today are behind it's limp sync technology

lip sync*

the driving parts in my shootter thanks halflife

creativity

Soul

Quality sound design.
>that civil protection flatline

pick up that can

they cared

Welcome! Welcome to City 17! You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers...

Replayed it recently and the fact that so many games took inspiration from this shows.
The levels are fairly linear with a lot of dialogue heavy unskippable sections, as well as very limited enemy variety.
Still fun though

Attached: 1560788464570.jpg (1152x1152, 297K)

based Gaben losing his passion for videogames over the years

ironic considering that's why he left microsoft in the first place

>limited enemy variety

this is my complaint with like 75% of shooter type games it seems like
The Last of Us, Half-Life 2, Destiny series, Borderlands, Halo, Far Cry, and so on.
sometimes it makes for better world building like in Halo, but in grindy games like Destiny shit got old real quick.

It was pushing the envelope with new ideas for FPS games in nearly every regard.

Story, interactive settings, creative weapons, diverse enemies, puzzles and combat built around a new physics engine, etc. It's aged over the years, but it's still just a solid memorable game.

Attached: 1559661507486.jpg (1280x720, 246K)

The game did not look the same back then as it does not, it has received frequent updates over the years.

>picture

Oh, I didn't need to remember that.

Yeah same.
Also played Amid Evil recently and it made me appreciate enemy variety a lot more. Each world there has new enemies with distinct visual styles and their own abilities. They are all a similar type/class of enemy (your melee fodder, ranged support, flying enemies etc.) but they all have their own style and different abilities, where you need to deal with them differently in each world

literally nothing
>shit-tier combat revolving around braindead-easy NPCs and boring weapons
>20 IQ puzzles
>story: "hurr evil aliens took over teh earth and every single humen knows about u 4 some reason and theres also a guy in a business suit LOL"
>those fucking vehicle sections
>gay unskippable cutscenes
>bland uninspired level design

hmmm I played Dusk and loved it but I haven't gotten around to playing Amid Evil yet.
I will have to check that out when I am less hungover

>he doesn't enjoy the satisfying impact of Magnum headshotting Civil Protection

the revolver sounds like shit and civil protection gets instakilled by pretty much anything

yeah but nothing ragdolls them with their head as the central momentum point quite like the magnum.

I can enjoy parts of it but I've never really been able to like it. For all the good it did there's just so many small annoyances that build up as you play.
Weak gunplay, repetitive and retarded bullet sponge enemies, levels and set pieces that drag on for way to long, disjointed story that while good overall is presented horribly, terrible "boss battles", nearly all of episode one, etc..
I really enjoyed half life and I'm kinda sad half life two never clicked for me. Even in episode two where they clearly tried to fix some of the issues with the base game just seemed bogged down by weird design choices.

A good dev team and one of the best game engines ever made

there's no satisfying weight to the body and the ragdoll sound effects are just ugh

unfortunately there's no cure for autism so I can't help you

For the time it looked great though. Everything having physics was great and it took years for other engines to catch up

>Also the facial animations were a decade ahead of it's time
Not really. Games today are just fucking lazy.

Attached: mafia-3.jpg (1920x1080, 269K)

consider taking off your nostalgia glasses

he left because he saw a future on gaming, he saw a statistic that doom was more installed than windows OS in home computers.
he was a Jew all along.

nah man gameplay was amazing for the time and still holds up well despite being 15 years old. I replayed the game just last year and was loving it.
I do find the first half or three-quarters is much more enjoyable than the later parts of the game