Thoughts on this guy?

Thoughts on this guy?

Attached: 220px-John_Carmack_E3_2006.jpg (220x220, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

polygon.com/2019/6/27/18761318/masters-of-doom-id-software-tv-series-usa-network-john-carmack-romero
twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1147269420034580484
abc.net.au/science/articles/2003/06/20/881750.htm
youtu.be/Y5P_mIEeLmA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

10/10, killed his cat, choked out a journalist.

The most based game developer of all time.
>believes code solutions should be shared
>not afraid to speak his mind to literally everyone he meets
>had a big hand in the tech behind the best games ever
>only cares about someone's ability and nothing else

Attached: Big Carmack.jpg (1200x1155, 481K)

meh

Attached: 1546516179024.png (531x467, 59K)

Attached: 1546516853119.png (722x486, 56K)

Made a game capable of running at 1080p+, 200 fps+ in the 90's.

Something consoles still can't do two decades later.

Is it true that he had to google how to wipe a hard drive?

Based Bill Gates. Founder of Nintendo and creator of Crash.

He's alright. If you care to follow him on twitter, prepare to activate your brain on his random musings.

Attached: 1523569995050.jpg (809x721, 39K)

>lead programmer on Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake

Jesus.

I find hilarious how he justifies his move blaming the guy for not doing the sign to stop
And the guy acts all enthusiastic like wtf how cool is that

People wanted a face for the tech side of the industry, he fulfilled that role and his autism didn't prevent him from being a total lad.

10/10 Rage still can suck my dick.

ugh, quite problematic

Attached: I'M GOING TO 'PORT' SO MUCH PUSSY FOR SURE!!!.gif (246x437, 1.7M)

No idea who he is lol sorry better ask someone else

You had to google it?

No. Google asked him how to wipe a ass.

>Believes information and industry secrets should be shared from one VR company to another.
Fixed that for you.

role model for all autists

polygon.com/2019/6/27/18761318/masters-of-doom-id-software-tv-series-usa-network-john-carmack-romero

Who should play him?

mmm

I have to google once a week the syntax for INSERT INTO, some things are not meant to stay in your brain

Ryan Gosling.

Not handsome enough

How did they get him to play himself in this flick?

Attached: Flight-of-the-Phoenix-movie-poster.jpg (800x1181, 364K)

He is becoming self aware

Attached: 1562509792987.jpg (1080x768, 215K)

Kindle does that shit.

this, so much this. Sorry white dude, he's cancelled

Attached: 4014f6afdb7142371e3555e585371894.png (600x309, 26K)

These always crack me up

Attached: 1555732043254.jpg (317x267, 22K)

Quite based for releasing so many source codes, unlike the prick of Tim Sweeney.

The Chad Carmack > The Virgin Sweeny

If google and intellisense didn't exist, 98% of programmers wouldn't have a job.
It's extremely common to understand a process or concept but not have the syntax for it memorized. I've been a web developer for 7 years and I still occasionally google basic shit on Stackoverflow like "jquery nth child" or "react typescript async"

I have a lot of respect for the guy, but I don't think I would want to hang out with him.

>he justifies his move blaming the guy for not doing the sign to stop
you make it sound like it wasn't that guys fault for not tapping out.

>linking polygon
Go back

it's gonna be shit regardless. it won't translate well to tv.
also why didn't you just pastebin the article?

Does anyone have that print of girl's code vs Carmack witchcraft?

Attached: 14154185178501.png (788x872, 964K)

It's exactly what I'm saying
Tapping out is expected in that environment, but not for an outsider on a power trip because he is bigger
Add Carmack's total lack of capability to read emotions and there you have it: a knocked out journo

pretty based, but fell for the yellowfewer

the chad john vs the virgin john

REMINDER

Attached: 65c.png (603x557, 49K)

he made all-time classic games before you were born

Attached: verizon-22-02-46-john-carmack-id-aa-carmack-l-42134235.png (500x955, 98K)

BASED

saving this

This. If I ever met him I'd just thank him for having made some amazing games but I doubt I'd be able to say anything else that would interest him. At most some more abstract question about his ideas of the future and potential dangers as tech is closing in on dystopian levels or something along those lines.

what did he mean by this frens

That the violence in Doom isn't meant to be normal. It's exaggerated for effect.

I'm very happy this guy decided to take interest in software rasterization optimization rather than recipes for human flesh.

then you're an idiot. you have a rough estimate of how long it will take for people to pass out, but ultimately the only one who can really let you know exactly when it will happen is the one being choked out. he let him know what to look out for and when to call it; the guy didn't and carmack let go when he went limp.

Reminder he is blue balling Rogan since 2016

Attached: Screenshot_20190707-174137.png (1080x1152, 174K)

the level of violence in doom is supposed to be extreme, of course it shouldn't be considered normal.

No, I'm not
The guy was not aware what that manoeuver does so he kept going like let me see I'm sure is not that bad
BAM lights out
It's not Carmack's fault either, but it's hilarious because Carmack can't into emotions. He is like a brick

Blue balls II

Attached: Screenshot_20190707-174424.png (1080x1238, 194K)

Carmack is always operating at maximum output, he can't "let go" of someone if he's supposed to choke him out.

I'm not all that interested in VR, but I'm glad someone is.

Based on his older video game work, I like his general interests and aesthetics.

Joe Rogan: I showed you my DMT please respond

He's good at tech. One of the best.

He's a no talent hack at anything that requires a shred of creativity though.

Attached: 1555716685640.png (243x243, 12K)

yeah, you are.

Very distinctive face.

Programming and engineering require metric shittons of creativity, he just can't handle the artistic shit.

His rendering techniques are literal creativity

It'd be interesting to see that. Assuming it doesn't turn into an hour long breakdown as Carmack meticulously goes over all sort of things that no one else but him will follow.

This makes perfect sense tho. Doom has always meant to be an extreme exaggeration of violence, specifically of violence in video games. It is very intentionally an outlier, as the tweet suggests. That is literally the point of the game series for the past almost 3 decades.

Yea, the technical problems involved in creating a game like Keen or Doom were "impossible to solve" for a PC. It takes incredible creativity to come up with a solution that no one else could think of. And then he shared it with everybody.

What's he trying to say here? I don't get this.

I believe he's trying to say fuck niggers and trannies. Pretty based if you ask me.

He's facebook's bitch now.

It would turn out EXACTLY like that.

That individual leanings are very complex and declaring racism and xenophobia because you said something the internet disagrees with is completely retarded
But you can't speak out against the echo chamber because blue checkmarks will name and shame you for not falling victim to groupthink.

His books are overrated and shallow, but people hold him up as some great intellectual.

Faggot, gimped the Saturn port of Doom because he hated texture warping but had no problem with the Quake port literally using a completely different engine with radically changed geometry and texture warping to boot.

Attached: quake.webm (1000x750, 2.92M)

he advanced VR several decades

its a long discussion but basically hes defending palmer against twitter retards who think hes hitler twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1147269420034580484

He's obviously some kind of programming savant, he's just not very well-spoken, he tends to ramble endlessly and go on wild tangents.
I have no doubt that John Carmack is a great intellectual, but his conferences and lectures are always borderline incomprehensible.

They call themselves liberals just to proof how fascists they really are against others opinions
It's pathetic

Attached: 1562519686355.jpg (1080x810, 291K)

Carmack versus Miyamoto. Who was the bigger influence?

Attached: contact.png (604x329, 47K)

Both deserve to their spot in gaming history. One pretty much invented FPS, the other created iconic characters and games. It's tech vs art, in a way. No reason to pit them against each other.

Is that true

When will he finally release us from the VR Earth experience?
Every patch that he delivered made the situation worse and worse, why can't he just finally end it with an asteroid made in the quake engine to end this VR suffering.

Carmack made home computers viable for modern video games.

Attached: nani kore.gif (531x354, 3.6M)

Yes, you can try it out with your hands.

>yet another e-celeb thread
fuck off

Yes.Pretty much how a pinhole camera works, but not quite. The smaller the aperture, the deeper the depth of field.

abc.net.au/science/articles/2003/06/20/881750.htm

>yfw be pinned and choked out by Carmack

>As reported in David Kushner's Masters of Doom, when Carmack was 14, he broke into a school to help a group of children steal Apple II computers. To gain entry to the building, Carmack concocted a sticky substance of thermite mixed with Vaseline that melted through the windows. However, an overweight accomplice struggled to get through the hole, and opened the window, setting off a silent alarm and alerting police. Carmack was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'). Carmack was then sentenced to a year in a juvenile home.[5][6]

Based.

I love this story.
>a sticky substance of thermite mixed with Vaseline
In an alternative timeline, we could be talking about Carmack as we would the Unabomber.

Stephen king is cool

john has a habit of fucking business partners and might be a sociopath but he's pretty smart

>the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs

Attached: Carmack.jpg (480x360, 69K)

he's smug

Godlike

Attached: quake_is_for_everyone_german_.jpg (1115x768, 191K)

i love his dark towers series

Oh hey the guy that said he worked at Area 51.

>Hugh Laurie is the most famous actor in movie
>Decide not to show face on cover.
That's honestly refreshing. I wish more movie posters did that.

Is that Bryan Cranston?

>carmack putting consolefags in their place
yes and?

does anyone know an arena shooter that isn't completely fucking dead? (qc excluded)

Attached: 17n01hoacbzwfjpg.jpg (200x266, 11K)

Attached: visa-oversattning-6-john-carmack-id-aa-carmack-10-min-3547834.png (500x300, 28K)

come play facing worlds 24/7 grappling hooks in UT99 with me, user

Attached: 1532590759362.png (303x353, 257K)

nah in 1999 we're talking geforce 256 and voodoo 3 with crts that didn't do 200Hz at 1600x1200 anyway. lcds being a complete non-starter as they were technically inferior to crts even in the 00s when they supplanted them

What exactly made Wolfenstein 3D so impressive when we already had Ultima Underworld and Catacomb 3D?

Attached: krj-eist-john-carmack-programmer-having-a-reasonable-grounding-in-27115271.png (500x564, 170K)

It's impossible to hate this guy.
>I can process the amount of emotion required for this particular event

ultima underworld ran like garbage

More fun.

He literally worked on two console ports of DOOM.

*cough*

Attached: 3e9.jpg (250x309, 19K)

SECONDING THIS

Attached: __chun_li_street_fighter_zero_series_and_etc_drawn_by_dandon_fuga__f16607f4ee1aafb619a6bae7ead6a1ff. (3508x5337, 3.45M)

Attached: redditfilename.jpg (869x1776, 170K)

Forgot to mention that all the comments are fake and made by someone looking for free (you)s

this was basically the sweet spot for id tech. not the game itself mind you, because it was bad. very active modding scene and commercial licensees that made decent games.

>Tfw was taught at school to learn to code and make sure to comment and organise EVERYTHING.
This is image should be renamed to "When Yandere Dev codes" vs "When competent programmers code"

The answer is both you dweeb

Attached: 1561791422772.jpg (728x683, 130K)

eva couldn't even understand the left even if i explained it to him 1000 times
you probably can't either

That was probably just so the teacher could tell you understood what you were doing.

His quakecon 3 hour diatribes on whatever the topic are fantastic

Well now that you mention it, another part of the image that's fake is that the Quake code actually had comments in it. The 0x5f3759df is followed by a "what the fuck"

No, it didn't if you had a 25-MHz 386DX computer, and even if you didnt have, you could downgrade the graphics.

Check this boomer stravaganza
youtu.be/Y5P_mIEeLmA
Quakecon 2k

Despite not understanding anything about coding, I always like to see these little comments they leave, usually cursing a specific line because they can't figure it out.

Attached: beqq9a89xdv11.png (730x315, 14K)

A legend.

>// what the fuck?

Attached: 1233459330541.jpg (400x303, 53K)

its a pretty appropriate response considering it took the system reqs down a few order of magnitude

>Thoughts on this guy?
An actual Autist in the right place at the right time with help from the right people. He is a brilliant programmer, but nobody credits the guys from SGI and the other tech firms that were helping him during his Quake days.

>dat watermark
Carmack may be an agnostic, but he respects those of different beliefs.

Attached: 1331517601782.jpg (194x259, 10K)

>0x5f3759df
How the fuck would you even come up with this constant? This is some black magic shit.

Spend enough time with a problem, a goal, and a debugger and realizations you never though possible begin to emerge.