Why is Dishonored Loved?

For the life of me I don't understand it. It wasn't nearly as good as the sims that came before it. It was completely blown the fuck out the original Deus Ex and System Shock 2. Human Revolution was also completely superior.

Worse still, as Arkane improved, they somehow weren't praised for it. Dishonored 2 was just a straight up better game, and Prey was the closest we've come to a new System Shock in 20 years. Prey was actually really good.

Yet I see people praise the level design and story of Dishonored. The game had 2 good levels and the rest looked the exact same, or seemed like something out of generic post-apocalyptic. The story was laughable. You know the plague was started by the spy master to cull the lower classes? And he RECORDED HIS OWN CONFESSION.

Dishonored was the low point for both the immersive sim AND for Arkane itself. They learned and improved with their later games, while Dishonored itself was a pale shadow of a proud legacy.

Why of all titles is Dishonored 1 held up? It's nowhere near the best immersive sim. It's not even near the best game from Arkane.

Attached: 220px-Dishonored_box_art_Bethesda.jpg (220x273, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vKyT19o-Nl8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's fun, memorable and it's a good stealth game. Dishonored 2 isn't as popular because of bad launch, meh marketing and coming out too late after the first game making it irrelevant to dishonored's legacy.

For some reason I see people claiming Dishonored 2 wasn't as good. I see people practically ignoring Prey. No it's always Dishonored. That's the gold standard. And every game that came after is somehow worse. Prey was a different and superior game, but people knocking Dishonored 2 as worse is mind boggling.

Dishonored 2 had better voice acting. Every level was unique and interesting rather than just 2 levels. The villain had real motivations rather than being a cartoon villain. The world itself was more fleshed out. The stealth was better. And because of all this the story was better too. Obviously it's nowhere near the glory of Deus Ex, but its certainly better than Dishonored 1. So why is it that everyone says Dishonored 1 is the high point? Am I missing something obvious? Was it just a case of right place right time?

>the sims that came before it. It was completely blown the fuck out the original Deus Ex and System Shock 2
if was the metric to use to consider if I liked a game or not then I would only ever play a handful of games. sure it wasn't better than those but it was still fun. a game can be good, and not be better than those classics.

It wasn't even that good though. The AI was godawful. And often bugs would fuck with how the stealth handled. Being seen through walls, or enemies reacting to noises in illogical or retarded ways. Not to mention you couldn't distract with the same degree of flexibility as in other games, even in the same time frame.

Skyrim had shittier AI than dishonored, but at least they reacted to noises and investigated. Dishonored they had a tendency to either lock on to you or just stare and ignore noises. Like the enemies were just not well designed.

Attached: tenor (3).gif (498x260, 1.75M)

When it came out it was the closest we came to successor of Thief 1 and 2. The art design and levels are great, and the story compelling enough.
Also right place, right time.

The same reason Bioshock was loved...PC gamers. They rarely make any sense.

Yeah, but it was even bad compared to things in the same time period. It came out around the same time as Skyrim, Human Revolution, and Mark of the Ninja. While Dishonored was certainly a better stealth game than Skyrim, it's AI was in many ways worse. It just always struck me as insane how people ignored human revolution and mark of the ninja while Dishonored got everyone's adoration.

???
PC gamers are the ones who rage about how newer games don't compare to the classics. Dishonored was more popular with the console crowd.

Another thing that was good about Dishonored 2 over 1 is that it offered a much bigger variety of options for players on no-kill runs. About 80% of the all the cool powers and abilities in the first game were exclusively kill-focused which was stupid because a kill-run locks you into a bad ending

All that is true but as a stealth game aimed at masses the only thing that matters is if it's satisfying or not and thanks to the super powers it is.

Good games can fail, and bad games can prosper. It's all in the marketing nowadays. It's why indie people often need publishers or internet personalities in order to succeed.

That's fair. It just always drove me up a wall that Dishonored was praised and people shit on Skyrim and Deus Ex AI. Like all games have their stupid shit AI. None are as good as the original Thief. But in Skyrim and Deus Ex HR you can make distractions. Dishonored AI doesn't respond to environmental cues anywhere near as well. It's honestly frustrating as hell. Like in HR you can toss items or shoot an extinguisher with something to make noise. In Skyrim your arrows striking surfaces makes noise and you can do a pacifist stealth run using your arrows to distract guards without directly shooting them. In Dishonored you have OP powers but guards don't respond nearly as well to noises. You toss a bottle they look at it for a few seconds and then don't care. As an experiment once I sat behind a dumpster shooting off my pistol and nobody investigated the noise. Was just sad.

The game has underrated combat with a lot of potential for creative play. Also, the level design is comfy

>it's a good stealth game
imagine having standards THIS low

Dishonored 2 surpassed Dishonored in shit-tier-gameplay so people now think Dishonored is good

there is only 1 good thing about the game and its the world-building, everything else is objectively trash

skyrim sucks all around though. dishonored was fun to play around with all the abilities you can get, and it scratched an itch for me. MotN and HR are better though, I agree.
overall I don't think it's an amazing game, but I still think it's a good one.

I honestly felt like the combat was a straight downgrade to Sir Kicksalot in the Land of Conveniently Placed Spike Racks, aside from freely swapping what's in your offhand.
It's only good for autistically blitzing through areas in the most gruesome fashion possible.

>Sir Kicksalot in the Land of Conveniently Placed Spike Racks
He moved to Poland

So corvo is just straight up better than emily in 2 right?

I enjoyed it. The plot, gameplay and aesthetic were quite solid, and i really enjoyed the creative ways to get rid of targets.

Plus you could pull off some pretty rad shit too
youtube.com/watch?v=vKyT19o-Nl8

His blink is better than her grapple. And time stop is OP as shit. But Emily has some really good abilities too. Domino is absolutely ridiculous for one. If her grapple thing wasn't so finicky I'd say they're about equal. As is, Corvo is better because his blink is easier to control and more reliable.

DA DA DAAA
I need to replay it.

I still hate the catacombs level but the rest of it is super fun.
Remember to have some amount of archery/magic or you'll be fighting the last boss with the rope bow.

thanks, it's been awhile, and I always end up having trouble at the area after you land on the beach and fight orcs, but I enjoy fighting them so it doesn't get frustrating.

>Dishonored 2 was just a straight up better game
I bought Dishonored 2 a week ago for like $12. I've played both at least five times through now.
Not a single mission in 2 is as good as the masquerade ball in 1. The only "improvements" are QoL stuff like aerial knockouts and choking enemies in combat off a parry. if those got retroactively added to D1, it would be the objectively superior game.

I like the game but I'm surprised with how much love it gets now. When it just released the reception was pretty meh.

It was original, memorable, had an awesome gameplay, interesting lore and some charismatic characters. Also, Arkane has one of the strongest art-teams in the industry, both games were unique and stunning in terms of visuals. The only real issues with both games were overpowered MC, weak story and lack of good PR-company

Attached: tumblr_mrvnv2bqNM1r69zbvo1_500.png (500x300, 296K)

>Not a single mission in 2 is as good as the masquerade ball in 1.
I think this is the first time I've seen someone say this, and I agree. I think it's the whole hiding in plain sight sort of thing that does it for me though, because I'm also a sucker for the hitman games.

The inside of the ball was great, but the outside was all samey shit. And how can you say 2 only added QOL improvements? The levels were all amazing. The art style was improved. The voice acting was improved. The enemies were far more interesting. And the story was great. The ball was pretty much the only truly great level in Dishonored 1.

That being said, I have found memories of it. There's nothing like the joy of signing the guest log, killing the target, and then throwing her body over the balcony so it crashes into the middle of all the guests. Absolute joy. No map in 2 was as good as the inside of the ball. But every level in 2 was great rather than just 1 or 2 high points.

I can't stand the art style of Dishonored 1 personally. It's so washed out and lifeless. And not in a good way. I know they were striving for a painterly feel but it made the world feel dead to me in spite of all the lore and world building. The art style felt unfinished. Part of the reason 2 looked better is that they knew when to use saturation and when to keep things subdued. Everything in the first game looked the same washed out lifeless palette.

Shut the fuck up, the clockwork mansion and Aramis Stilton's mansion with time traveling were awesome

>The levels were all amazing. The art style was improved. The voice acting was improved. The enemies were far more interesting. And the story was great.
No. Sort of. I guess. It added literally one enemy. And hell no, it's just the dlc from 1 a second time.

I think I am one of the very few people who like the "showdown" of the good ending.
I think it's hilarious that you are so broken, the end boss just gives up without a fight.

>I DON'T LIKE THING
>Other people like thing
>HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE POSSIBLY LIKE THING!?!

Name 5 good stealth games

great level design with tons of interesting stuff to do

>my opinion is objective and I cannot comprehend any opinion that differs from mine
you're on the spectrum

This might be the very first time i see someone saying that, so i'm generously curious. What exactly felt unfinished and lifeless for you, the lack of realism or toned down grayish palette?

All "immersive aims" are shit.

>woah dude, you can either hack this door or blow it up! That totally makes up for the fact that every gameplay element in this game has been done better in other games in the past!

dumb phoneposter

This being said dishonored is excepted based on the fact that the stealth and action is actually passable. Bioshock's combat also passes.
Deus Ex has shit combat and autists with no taste only ape about it because woah dude it predicted 9/11! Hahaha funny quotes! Prey has shit combat. I haven't played D2 though, so I assume op is right about that.

>sims that came before it
>Deus Ex and System Shock 2. Human Revolution
it's more based on thief and you are a fucking idiot for drawing those comparisons, I wouldn't even consider thief or dishonoured as "immersive sims" though
>dishonoured 2
it's just as good as the first
>prey
it's good and original but kinda unfinished and like dishonored they had to make lots of compromises for console retard audiences

>Claiming D2 had consistently good levels when the only two good ones were the clockwork mansion and the time-travel one
>claiming the enemies were better when they removed half of the enemies from 1 and only added the clockwork soldiers to replace them
>calling the voice acting better when they made a silent killer into a quip machine and changed the Outsider's voice
Am I in a bizarro Dishonored thread? D2 had a few QoL changes that were good, this is undeniable. The rest of the game isn't nearly as much fun, however, until you're doing a kill run on NG+ with full access to both characters' powers.

I'll meet you halfway. Knife of Dunwall was legitimately great. But the new enemies in 2 were great and the AI was much better.

yeah it's literally the opposite. pc players just complain that ss2 was better

Not him but...
Thief 1 and 2
Deus Ex and Human Revolution
Mark of the Ninja
Invisible Inc(fuck you it's great lol)
newest Hitman

>new enemies
Enemy. It's just the clockwork soldier.

It was a number of things. The washed out palette was a factor. I wouldn't mind if it was contrasted with saturated elements but it was consistently drab. For comparison, consider the transitions of style in Dishonored 2 as you moved from areas. The streets felt the same as 1, but areas like the clockwork mansion or the natural sciences place were more saturated and metallic, or darker and more ominous respectively.

Another thing that bugged me was how samey it was between areas. I can dig a destroyed civ aesthetic but it felt for the most part empty. Bodies everywhere. More bodies. Generic writing on the wall. It didn't tell a story through its environments. It was all dead bodies and edgy writing on the walls even when it didn't make SENSE to have writing.

To give an idea of what I mean, in Fallout there's tons of places where you find bodies and they tell a story. Maybe they're huddled around bottles of drugs. Maybe there's a gun next to them. Or you see an empty house and you feel how the inhabitants lived, how many kids.

In dishonored, other than the mother on the first level iirc hoarding rations to save her kids(told through a journal), everything felt samey. Plus the writing often felt at odds with the state of the city. Like the writing implied post-apocalyptic, but you still had people milling about in the cities. People were still doing business. Lazy guards still patrolled. The aesthetic clashed with itself in a jarring way that broke immersion for me. It just felt like they were going down a post-apocalypse checklist. So between the boring coloring, the immersion breaking visuals, and the terrible writing, it pulled me out constantly.

I don't actually mind the way the characters themselves looked in terms of face and body shape. I actually liked that aspect of the aesthetic. But the coloring just killed it for me.

The bloodflies and zombies count. They're a lot cooler than the rats imho because they made infested areas more dangerous and allowed for verticality whereas rats were defeated by small chairs.

Dishonored 1 had weepers. Dishonored 2 didn't have rats. You have replaced 1 swarm enemy with another, except rats were used more than 2 times in Dishonored 1.

>loved
dishonored was a flop that didn't sell until it was $5, it's easy and not fun and requires mods to even look interesting

The zombies are just weepers, and the bloodflies are an environmental hazard equivalent to an electric fence, not an enemy

unique aesthetic and amazing worldbuilding. D2 is not canon btw

Disagreed about the storytelling through dead NPC's, i do not remember every single time i approached one, but almost every one of them had a story behind it, told through items lying around or notes. Dead couple at the very beginning, the guy who worshiped the runes and shoot his brother down near the Kaldwin's bridge, the mother you mentioned, people who lived near the Boyl's mansion and starved to death, the Overseer who was tortured by the Whalers and the Whaler who was tortured by the Overseers, etc. These are ones i can remember right now. Despite the death and disaster all around the place, the world of Dishonored felt alive for me thanks to stuff like that.

Why was Emily's powerset so bad? I only ever used Far Reach and Domino.

Still did more for immersion and gameplay imho. I know it's not much but I liked those infested areas. It just felt better designed than rat infestations and broke up pacing pretty well imho. I'm probably in the minority there though.

It was always told by journals, not environment. Other games told by environment in addition to journals. If removed the journals it would be incredibly samey. I like having stuff like that to read, but my point was aesthetic. It all LOOKED the same. They should have had both, but they didn't.

Yeah her reach was trash. But her other powers were really good. I forget the names but the daze thing that put people to "sleep" and the shadow form were really good too.

Any skill that isn't timestop that takes more than 1 unit of mana is inherently shit.

She was even more OP than Corvo

Dishonored was a tight game that I find hard to point out a place in it where it's 'The Bad Part'.
I liked Dishonored 2 but I felt a lot of your abilities for Emily and environments were kind of boring. There was never a situation where the shadow sneaking was useful, It was always easier to just pull myself up to some point above me and jump past someone.
Prey is fun.

Addendum, when I say the environments I mean the setting as a whole. A lot of the levels with gameplay gimmicks were great.

>Human Revolution was also completely superior.
I refuse to believe someone who played the original DX could even entertain this thought much less attempt to argue it on an Italian shirt folding forum. It's both worse as an inferior mess of a prequel-cum-reboot and as a videogame, not terrible by any means but still not even in the ballpark of D1. Its only flaw was making most of the powers only useful for high-chaos which D2 fixed. Both 1 and 2 are great. 1 isn't held up as peak immersive sim it's simply appreciated for being a great game. Videogames aren't alcoholic beverages and "immersive simness" isn't alcohol.

>was it just a case of right place, right time?
Unironically yes. 2012 is when the CoD clone trend was at it's absolute peak, so getting an immersive sim in the vain of the OG Deus Ex was a breath of fresh air. By the time DH2 came out, noteworthy stealth games like Ground Zeroes and Hitman were more common. So DH2 was just regarded as a good game rather than something that defied industry trends like the first game did.

>I find hard to point out a place in it where it's 'The Bad Part'

The rushed introduction followed by a linear tutorial level in a game all about player agency ain't all that great IMO

Superior to dishonored not the original. Original DX blows both out of the water. But HR at least captured some of the magic of the first one. D1 didn't even lick the taint juice of Thief.

DH1 has a better intro than 2. 2’s is so rushed that it’s laughable. The tutorial, while being the worst level in the game is also obviously just there to teach you the basics. I agree that the High Overseer assassination is where the game really begins though.

>DH1 has a better intro than 2
Yeah but that doesn't mean 1's intro is any good.

2's introductory level does a much better job at encompassing what the game is about at least. You've got a target to deal with, there's different routes to go through and sidenooks to explore, it's even possible to ghost it.

System Shock 2 sucked fucking ass. I can't understand why people liked that game, it's the clunkiest piece of shit ever. I assume the people that like it like it for the story. Dishonered blows it the fuck out gameplay wise.

>better than Human Revolution
not even close kys retard

>Dishonored 2 was just a straight up better game
1st the launch was rushed because they were working on piece of shit boring as hell "PREY" and was completely hampered by technical issues, and by the time those were fixed the buzz had moved on to other big releases in that year
2nd it was the same shit as the first game with better graphics
there was zero innovation and plus a bit of social justice by anita herself

>it's a good stealth game.
it can't be a good stealth game because it is an action oriented game with stealth elements. we all know there is a crouch animation in the game, but do you know all of those 15 something different skills and weapons that the devs took years to implement? you were supposed to use it

Attached: nothin personnel.webm (1280x720, 2.93M)

Dish 2 story and characters sucked ass. Also I prefer dark cities over the sun.

Dish 2 had fantastic level design though.

>When it came out it was the closest we came to successor of Thief 1 and 2
The Dark Mod - Released as Doom 3 mod in 2009
Dishonored - Released in 2012

You're welcome.

dishonored is a shit stealth game where shadows dont even affect how visible you are, this makes the elder scrolls games better than dishonored

the only people who like dishonored are uncultured trash who never played any other stealth game and have no basis for comparison

>You were suppo-
Shut the fuck up retsrd, no you weren't supposed to do anything. You were supposed to do what you wanted, you weren't supposed to use power, like you weren't supposed to use weapons, like you weren't supposed to use stealth

>nothing personnel kid

Very few stealth games outside of Thief and Splinter Cell actually have shadows play a large part in gameplay. Not all stealth games need to play like Thief, they never have.

in every interview they would say something like "we accommodate all playstyles"
but the base game is action, the content is action. if they had stealth as their central philosophy it would be a completely different game

Dishonered isn't a stealth game.
A common misconception.

And I am glad its action based. I don't want to crawl around waiting 10 minutes for a guard to turn around.

Dishonored is a cool game- its about doing superhero stuff. Blink makes it good.

Attached: Blink.png (256x256, 34K)

I liked having an assassination game where you can still go non-lethal. Shame the writer pussied out on the one where you hand a women to her rapist and had her kill him and escape.