I hate to think about it, but we gotta face the facts, he's no longer going to be with us someday and when that happens...

I hate to think about it, but we gotta face the facts, he's no longer going to be with us someday and when that happens, what is Nintendo going to do? Will they just re-use all the same voice clips over and over again? Is that really the best they can do? It seems so soulless. But then again, is there REALLY anybody that can be the successor of Charles Martinet? Is him being replaced even a possibility?

Attached: 54447108_697299364018970_5737806969214236651_n.jpg (624x781, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=HO5imsViKp0
youtube.com/watch?v=q1OziHxAl_A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He's not Mel Blanc

what if charles and myamoto secretly both browsed Yea Forums that would be cool

Hire Vinny from Vinesauce and go back to the Super Show voices.

>Is him being replaced even a possibility?
Of course it is and it's what will happen. They're not going to retire the most famous video game character of all time just because the original actor died. Mario voices aren't even that hard to replicate.

hey did you know that there are around 7 billion people with voice in earth

But the voice is so iconic, and he not only voiced Mario, but most if not all of the Mario characters, I think that people would definitely be able to tell if its a different voice actor, if Charles were to be replaced

You know mickey mouse has had several voice actors right?
It isn't like Mario's voice is hard to mimic.

They will easily be able to find a replacement for him since everyone knows how Mario should sound and there's bound to be a number of voice actors that can do Mario's voice.

Although they have enough voice clips in the bank to last a good few years until their next big Mario release anyway.

its nintendo. they will spend millions or 10 bucks to get another voice actor or just reuse old voice lines or they make him record all possibly future lines or they can use sound clips from him talking at the new york nintendo store

>and he not only voiced Mario, but most if not all of the Mario characters
He voiced four of them.
>I think that people would definitely be able to tell if its a different voice actor
Even if that turns out to be the case, it would hardly matter to most people since all that matters is if the actor can sound like Mario and scream Wahoo and Letsa go. It really is simple voicework. But of course, people like you will say dumb shit like "It just isn't the same!" even if the new actor's performance is virtually indistinguishable from that of Charles.

Yea, but Mickey Mouse doesn't talk that often anyways, people don't really care about Mickey Mouse's voice, for Mario its much different

>but Mickey Mouse doesn't talk that often anyways
Talks more than fucking Mario

This. I respect Martinet but it's not like he's a man of a thousand voices nor is Mario that talkative in the first place. They can easily find someone to do WAHOOO and no one would know the difference.

Didn't he tweet about killing himself?

>Mickey Mouse doesn't talk that often anyways
He talks way more than Mario.
>people don't really care about Mickey Mouse's voice
But everyone knows what Mickey Mouse sonds like and everyone expects him to always sound like that. How is that different from Mario?

Look if they could replace Donald Duck and his weird ass voice they can easily replace the character who only says wahoo and mamma mia.

if i had to guess, i think martinet would choose a successor

>go back to the Super Show voices.
I'm sure the Japs would love to "go back" to basing things on a show they've never even heard of.

Charles Martinet is very expressive with his performance and has been voicing most of the Mario characters for 26 years now, even if its just four characters, four is still alot for one voice actor, and to have one main voice actor for all those characters, for so many years, then needing to get someone else to fill that role? It seems impossible. I think that whoever would replace Charles Martinet as those characters wouldn't be as expressive or understand what goes into the performance of these characters, and would just attempt to mimic the voices by just listening to the old recordings, alot of the magic from the original voices would definitely be lost, and personally, I believe that it'd be a disgrace to the characters of Mario, Luigi, Wario and many more, it really just wouldn't be the same

He doesnt even fucking sound like Mario, have you even heard his recordings and imitations. Its all modulated later to sound good, he himself isnt really even good you triple teaspoon.

>Will they just re-use all the same voice clips over and over again?

They're already doing that, see Brawl, Smash 4 and Ultimate.

Charles Martinet is a voice acting icon of course but I think it's at the stage that Mario's voice is so iconic he's essentially a Mickey Mouse character. There are hundreds, if not thousands of people who could potentially take over the reins. Even if they were cheap stand-ins.

>It seems impossible
It really isn't. The second he passes away Nintendo is going to be flooded with the best VA's in the world for what might be their easiest job ever.
Sure, they might not have Martinet's almost child like enthusiasm off camera but they'll do their job just as well and the only reason you might now the difference is because you're clearly going to be one of those people who say they cried when he's announced to be dead.
Most professional VA's already have entire rosters of characters they play as and do it consistently. Martinet does a couple who barely speak in the first place, outside of small exclamations.

Haha what the fuck is wrong with you?
It's not like he has actual lines of dialogue.
>Wahoo
Can be recycled until eternity.
>Thank you for playing my game

Was already way too much dialogue for my taste.

>implying talented VA wouldn't try to absolutely perfect martinet voices for millions upon millions of dollars

maaan i really miss disney voice for mickey mouse
said no one ever

Mel Blanc voiced many iconic Looney Tunes characters and they all got a replacement actor since his death. Nintendo will do the same for the Mario characters because they don't care about the so called "magic" you speak of which doesn't exist

Goddamnit, stop bringing up Mickey Mouse, he is absolutely irrelevant, and Mario is completely different

Don't they basically use old voice clips of him right now anyway? It's not like Mario speaks。He could be replaced at almost any moment and no one would be the wiser.

Replacing Mel Blanc must've been a real nightmare since they suddenly went from one guy doing nearly every single voice in Warner Bros. animation to one VA for every one or two characters.

No it does have relevance.
Mickey has had way more voice actors over his 90 year existence

Shouldn't you be attending to your Martinet shrine in your bedroom?

They already reuse his voice lines.

They'll just bring back Julien Bardakoff.

Bro, Charles will be replaced. No stopping it.

Yeah people will notice. I can already notice the difference in the voice between the old and modern games

Look at Igor from Persona. They still reuse his voice lines, even though the VA is dead since P4.

fuck you Luigi!

dude seriously what's wrong with you?
are you his family or what?
even his voice has changed compared to mario 64
so he's not that good voice actor desu

>Will they just re-use all the same voice clips over and over again?
Yes.

Thats not true, I've seen him doing the voice before in real life plenty of times, you don't even know what the hell you're talking about
>Most professional VA's already have entire rosters of characters they play as and do it consistently. Martinet does a couple who barely speak in the first place, outside of small exclamations.
Yea, but Martinet does it really really well, he's been doing it for more than 2 decades, I think he has the most experience out of anyone with doing the voices, and therefore anybody to replace with him wouldn't be nearly as experienced as him with doing the iconic voices
Yea but they have to do a new wahoo for each new mainline game for consistency
Thats not comparable, Mario has only ever had one voice actor, Mickey is an entirely different beast all together
That can't be said for sure
His mario 64 voice sounds as consistent as his newer games desu

>I've seen him doing the voice before in real life plenty of times
Did he know you were there or were you hiding in the bushes outside his house?

"it just wouldn't feel right", the thread

>His mario 64 voice sounds as consistent as his newer games desu
what does that even mean? He sounds different in each game

Are you literally Charles Martinet

>Mario has only ever had one voice actor
Yeah, so did Mickey at one point. Your point was?

I just searched "mario voice imitation" on youtube and there are tons of videos out there
I can't tell much of a difference

>what does that even mean? He sounds different in each game
Well if he sounds so different in each game, then how is it such an "simple, iconic voice that can easily be replaced by hundreds if not thousands of VA's"? Thats a huge hole in all of you guy's arguments, this just proves that he voice is complex enough to the point where we should start questioning if he's replaceable
Its really easy to tell if its a person imitating Charles Martiniet's iconic Mario voice if you listen hard enough

They're just going to recycle old voice clips like what they did with Snoopy in The Peanuts Movie.

So you're too deaf to hear a difference? Listen to voice lines between mario 64 and smash ultimate/odyssey. You can tell it's the same guy but you can tell he's getting older too, nothing one can do about that

why are you gay?

Listen dude, we're all going to be upset when he dies. It's going to be a little strange at first but we'll adapt.

So then it'd make no sense to get a younger VA to replace him
But he's so iconic

well I haven't said anything about replacing him, I just came here to point out the fact that he already sounds a little different

I'm sure he has at least one understudy that'll take the reigns when he retires/dies. It's not uncommon, and I'm sure Nintendo has already thought of this and has plans for it. Literally no one outside of turbo autists will even notice.

Dude, he's going to die and he's going to be replaced. You really want Nintendo to keep reusing the same old voice clips of a dead man forever? No way they would do that with their literal mascot.

>So then it'd make no sense to get a younger VA to replace him
Outside of Nintendo wanting a long-term VA and not someone who will die within a few years? What do you think will happen, they'll just retire Mario? Making him a mute? They'll just replace him by someone else who can do a high pitch enthusiastic expression and 99% of people won't notice the difference. Nintendo might even splice some old recordings in with the new for the sake of cutting costs. Mario has an iconic voice but I doubt even Martinet would say that what he does is unique.
>But he's so iconic
So is every iconic mascot over the past 100 years and they've all gotten new VA's after the previous one passed away or could no longer do the voice. And those tended to be more difficult to replace because they actually talked in conversations, which is harder to maintain than short expressions and catchphrases.
I'll be sad when he dies just because he seems like a nice guy who loves what he does but if you ask him about this, he'll likely just say that he's honored for having been a part of something so big as Mario.

>Mario has an iconic voice but I doubt even Martinet would say that what he does is unique
It is absolutely unique, Martinet has crafted these voices tirelessly, day after day, year after year, slowly improving them as the months go by, alot of that magic simply will not carry over to some rando who auditions for the new Mario VA, their performance won't have nearly as much color and vibrancy, and if Nintendo knows what they're doing, they'll realize that replacing Martinet would be much more difficult than it's been made out to be, its all about the little intricate details

If Nintendo wanted to replace him after he passes, then they would be able to. I understand how connected he is to the characters voice, but at some point with a long-running character like this, there comes a time when someone else has to take the mantle - Mel Blanc voiced Bugs Bunny for 50 years, not to mention all of the other Looney Tunes characters he portrayed, but they're still making media featuring his characters 30 years after he died.

They also have countless voice clips of him performing Mario, which they could re-use forever if they wanted. It's not like they have a problem re-using Yoshi's voice when Kazumi Totaka isn't even dead and still works for them.

Iconic characters change voice actors all the goddamn time, and it only makes them more iconic. Characters like Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Bugs Bunny were played by tons of different actors, and those actors figured out what makes the character recognizable no matter who's playing the character.
And unlike those characters, playing Mario would be easy because it's just generic high-pitched Italian accent.

lmao just give the old nigga a one up shroom

I remember Conan straight up roasting him. It was really disrespectful.

>and no one would know the difference.
Do you seriously underestimate Nintendo autism?

Attached: 35C83D70-8D4A-4622-B945-BDC0B2AFF250.jpg (269x306, 16K)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=HO5imsViKp0

>their performance won't have nearly as much color and vibrancy
You don't fucking know that. Yes, Charles is talented but there are definitely people with the talent to convincingly impersonate him. Forget your nostalgia and face the facts. Nintendo will easily replace him.

To much an autistic shitstorm.

You're delusional if you think there's some deep intricacy to doing Mario's voice. Unless Nintendo drops the ball and gets the cheapest VA from youtube, you won't notice the difference.
Well, clearly you will because you're obsessed with Martinet but no one else will. Most people don't notice that Link has had multiple VA's. You could just say that it's the same VA doing different pitches for different games.
There's much harder characters to replace than Mario. Reason being, not only does Mario not speak in actual long conversations, but because Mario's voice is already a fake voice. Someone like James Wood doing Hades is much harder to imitate because that's his natural voice meaning any VA that replaces him has to capture the natural voice of another person. Same for someone like Handsome Jack, whose VA's normal speaking voice is the character's voice. Those voices are typically harder to imitate, not the HUHU HUH of Mickey or Donald Duck''s garbled noise or Mario's IT'S A-ME, or even Bugs Bunny's What's up doc?

Eh, people will remember Mario way longer than Conan. The only reason I remember him is because he shares the name of Conan the Barbarian

How was it disrespectful? Martinet knows its all in good fun. At most he could've avoided going for the personal life angle but he likely expected him to say he was married, which would've made the joke easier.

This isn't about Bugs Bunny or Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse, this is about Mario, all these characters are irrelevant and aren't comparable to Mario, they shouldn't keep being brought up
>playing Mario would be easy because it's just generic high-pitched Italian accent
Mario's voice is NOT just a generic high-pitched Italian accent, are you kidding me? What the hell would compel you to say something like that?
>there are definitely people with the talent to convincingly impersonate him
You're telling me that the man who created these voices, built them up over the years, knows them like the back of his hand, has the absolute most experience and know how on doing these voices, can just easily be replaced by some guy who is really good at just listening to Martinet do the voice and then doing an imitation of it? No, someone can't just get hired to be a Mario VA by doing a really good impersonation of the voice, they'd just be impersonating the character of Mario, they can't impersonate Martinet doing the voice of Mario, they'd just be imitating the Mario voice, they wouldn't get to the roots, they'd never have the same vibrancy and passion Martinet has because they don't know how he was like, how he did his performance, the little details and methods he had, they wouldn't be doing Martinet's Mario voice, they'd be imitating Martinet's Mario voice and inflicting their own person into it, it'd just be their Mario voice, it wouldn't be the same

>all these characters are irrelevant

Attached: 1561323941098.png (576x408, 343K)

are you fucking retarded?

I'm sure plenty of people will still fall for it, though.

Attached: b8.jpg (200x200, 5K)

>can just easily be replaced by some guy who is really good at just listening to Martinet do the voice and then doing an imitation of it?
Yes, that's what VA's do for a living.

Oh boy how will we EVER find someone that can say "Wahoo" and "Let's-a-go"

Attached: gokuck.jpg (1280x720, 76K)

I thought he died jesus christ OP

>have a voice actor for mario
>he barely fucking says anything but WAHOO
wow I'm literally shaking at the thought that someone else will be saying wahoo when he retires.

As much as it sucks, they'll replace him.
Jim Henson got replaced.
Carol 'Big Bird' Spiney got replaced.
Mel Blanc got replaced.

It's more about keeping the character alive.

I wasn’t aware half a billion people didn’t have voices.

The wahoos are important

Thats totally different

>t. autist & nintentoddler

low IQ bait

>Mario's voice is NOT just a generic high-pitched Italian accent

> He went to the audition at the last minute as the casting directors were already putting away their equipment. Charles Martinet walked in and asked, "Can I please read for this?". The directors let him audition and told him, "You're an Italian plumber from Brooklyn". At first Martinet planned to talk like a stereotypical Italian American with a deep, raspy voice (which is how Mario sounded in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World cartoons). He then thought to himself that it would be too harsh for children to hear, so he made it more soft-hearted and friendly, resulting in what Mario's voice is today.

Attached: Link.png (492x440, 51K)

this is the most autistic thread i've ever seen

There's been worse.

Conan said that his profession was just sad which is extremely disrespectful to someone who clearly enjoys doing what they do.

>You're delusional if you think there's some deep intricacy to doing Mario's voice
No I'm not, not only does Martinet do multiple unique and distinct voices for many different characters that would all have to be replaced, the Mario voice isn't just some simple high pitched italian accent, there's thought behind it, theres emotion and personality behind it, its not just mindless wahoos and yipees, thats absolutely wrong, he puts his heart into every wahoo, he puts care into each one, its not nonsensical
>Most people don't notice that Link has had multiple VA's
Are you serious? Do you actually think this? Of course people notice. You're telling me you can't tell the difference between Wind Waker Link's voice and Ocarina Of Time Link's voice? Or are you just saying YOU can tell the difference, but you just assume everyone else just doesn't notice? Thats just delusional thinking.

It's called making a joke, he wasn't actually making a criticism on the guy's career.

Please tell me you're joking. Your obsession with Martinet is starting to cross over to the danger zone.

Attached: 1501218814732.png (451x370, 212K)

That was literally his first audition for the character, obviously the voice has been improved on and perfected over the course of 26 years

Real questions here Yea Forums: do we prefer Odyssey's YEE-HOO or 64's WA-HOO

man this thread just reminds me of how shit all of Mel Blanc's replacements were, to this day Bugs does not sound right.
Mario though, hell, they SHOULD change his voice, I'm really sick of high pitched whooping incoherent manchild Mario.

Cringe.
When he died they'll replace him ASAP. They're not going to stop making mario games because the bing bing wahoo guy is dead.

I sure as shit don't hear the difference.

Then thats your problem

>believing everything you read on Yea Forums

>BLJs in Odyssey
Y-Y-YEE-Y-Y-Y-YEE-Y-YEE-HOO!
*clips into the moon*

It’s Martinet posting ITT. He was planning to show this to the bosses at Nintendo and ask for a raise.

Mario's voice is easy to imitate even if you're not an actor. It's gonna be fine.
What you should fear is Miyamoto's eventual retirement. He's 66 already, three years older than Martinet. And without him, god knows what will happen to the Mario franchise.

Attached: shigeru-miyamoto1.jpg (1000x563, 314K)

If that's the case, ONLY MARTINET CAN DO MARIO
I WILL NEVER BUY A MARIO GAME IF IT DOESN'T HAVE MARTINET IN IT

Holy fucking shit

Attached: 1510937699594.gif (300x226, 2.02M)

I have a lot of respect for Miyamoto but at this point I think he could safely retire and nothing would be lost. Some of his successors and long time colleagues do a great job by themselves.

Listen man, I like Charles Martinet a lot. Saw him at 2018 Phoenix Comic-Con and he seemed like a really nice guy, even got a Mario Maker poster signed by him. It's going to hurt, but when he dies I assume the voice-clips will just be reused for eternity, and I think that's what he would want. Who else can say they're immortalized to THAT degree? He would literally live on forever in one of the most popular franchises of all time. The only thing I can imagine needing new voice lines is that Mario movie coming out eventually, and he won't die before then.

He's not just the "bing bing wahoo guy", he does alot more than that, hes an extremely valued and talented voice actor

Who says bing bing wahoo

AS WELL as many other lines

But its not keeping the character alive, its trying to revive a character through someone else, its unnatural

He came to do a presentation at our school, it's so obvious he's extremely passionate about what he does & was such a nice guy to talk to

I would assume they've got a prince library worth of voicelines stacked up for future launches

>He came to do a presentation at our school
Why? What was it about?

>I would assume they've got a prince library worth of voicelines stacked up for future launches
It just seems so soulless

Are you retarded?

Thanks for the reminder that I should spend some time with my grandpa before it's too late.

Attached: despair.jpg (482x427, 128K)

They probably have more than enough samples.

cherish those moments user. some of us couldn’t meet their grandfathers at all.

>what are babies
>what are retards

I made a post on his instagram and he liked it.

>implying they havent had him record every word and nouse possible in preparation for this
with the way mario "speaks" itd be easy to just stitch together shit or reuse/use shit we havent heard yet

Hey retard, are you aware that pretty much every Mario character has had multiple voice actors? Jen Taylor, Julien Bardakoff, Thomas Spindler, Scott Burns, Grant Kirkhope, Chris Sutherland, Dolores Rogers, Mercedes Rose etc.. all have been replaced with other VA's. Martinet wasn't even the first person to voice Mario in a video game either.

Waluigi is the only one of the bunch who has had the same VA since his debut.

Attached: 1558919982008.jpg (709x472, 126K)

I cannot wait until Miyamoto retires and Mario games can be made without having to cater to his strict status quo. Obviously he deserves all the respect in the world for his accomplishments, but his backseat involvement in Mario games at this point is a detriment. He"s the reason you haven't had a good Paper Mario game in over a decade

Nobody's going to pay $60 for BING BING alone.

Disney absolutely spent as much money as possible to ensure the replacements for their iconic characters are as good as humanly possible. The thing with Nintendo is that a) they're notoriously cheap, and b) they're japs that are horrible at assessing the quality of english voice acting, just look at their other games and a lot of them have horrible voice acting (like BotW).

He actually doesn't matter.

Voice replication software is developing at an exponential pace. Wouldn't be too unforeseen that Nintendo would simply recreate his voice in a machine using thousands of hours of cataloged audio.

I really hate how advanced technology has gotten. This mixed with Deepfakes and you can recreate people for eternity.

It's not gonna be anywhere near as bad as this. We've had some good replacements like Joe Alaskey(RIP) but it's never gonna be the same.

I don't think Miyamoto alone is to blame for that, others like Tanabe caused way more damage to Paper Mario by taking his advice too far. Their reliance on a Japan-only Club Nintendo poll about Super Paper Mario's story certainly didn't help.

Attached: Speechless.jpg (624x422, 28K)

When did Mario become all BING BING WAHOO anyway, SMB 3? I think I preferred the earlier games where he was a mute.

This user is pretty cute, won't lie. Hope he doesn't take the death too hard.

user, are you so underage that you're unaware Nintendo can't replace him because of contractual obligations? Consider Vin Diesel for a second; in Infinity War, he said 'Groot' just fucking once, and probably got 50 grand for it. Do you think Disney wanted to pay him 50k just to say one word? Marinet would have gotten the boot a long fucking time ago if they could just replace actors/performers that easily.

Martinet's first role as Mario was in Mario's Game Gallery on PC.
First mainline voice role for Mario was in Mario 64, of course.

>50 grand
try at least double that

I actually do miss Mickey's voice, the new actor has gotten better but doesn't quite match.

Walt stopped voicing him after Mickey and the Beanstalk in 1947. Haven't seen Mickey cartoons in ages but I don't remember him sounding that different afterwards.

Actual autism

>Walt voiced Mickey
Holy shit, I didn't know this. It's weird seeing him do the voice.
youtube.com/watch?v=q1OziHxAl_A