Dreamcast's ONLINE features are going to be BACK soon via emulation

twitter.com/libretro/status/1147594921622327298

>mfw it's year 2022~2028 and I'm able to actually unironically download Skies of Arcadia's and DE LA Jet Ret Radio's DLCs once again directly via their built-in online features, so many years later
>mfw Phantasy Star Online ver. 2 FINALLY gets a fuckton of dedicated fan-made servers and the game becomes fully playable once more in it's pure Dreamcast form (not Blue Burst)
>mfw I'll FINALLY be able to get that FUCKING Tails' Chao for Sonic Adventure 2 by downloading it during the special event IN online mode of Phantasy Star ver. 2

Attached: HABBEDING.gif (320x180, 1.65M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dyEnJCgTZds
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>dedicated fan-made servers and the game becomes fully playable once more in it's pure Dreamcast form (not Blue Burst)

Wishful Thinking

See you in a couple years from now, non-believer.

How is Dreamcast emulation btw? I own a Dreamcast but wonder if it would be easier and more convenient to emulate or just buy an HDMI adapter.

would be pretty cool

These are such bizarre things to be excited for. I don't know anything about PSO, but are the server files even openly available? That's the only thing you've mentioned that sounds remotely interesting, but even then it's not very interesting because there will be 10 people max online at a time and they'll all be in discord sucking up to the admin for free shit.

came here to ask the same thing because I visited my parents and couldn't find my old dreamcast there and I want to play fucking toy commander again

It's quality heavily depends on the brand/type of emulator you're using.

NullDC is bare minimum today and it's roughly 50% usable, also being a HLE emulator and is essentially dead development-wise.
Reicast is NullDC's direct continuation (literally made by same people. See "KM Player to Pot/Daum" kind of a torch-passing) and is much better, it's roughly 82% usable nowadays. It still has a long way to go, but it's a LLE emulator and development is continuing on a stable everyday pace, so it's all good.
Redream is an amazing emulator with solid performance and features, but it's closed source and is a payware (ability to increase internal res is locked behind a 5$ payment).
DEmul is a strictly Russia-based dev product, but it's very good. Yet, exactly due to it being Russian-made, dev team is very edgy and complacent (emulator's site wasn't updated for years and it's very fugly/barely usable), similar to PCSX 2's shitty devs, and DEmul is also a closed source product, so there's that. It's still very solid as an emulation tool in on itself, though. It just updates very slowly and devs are angsty schmucks that are slow on uptake.
There was one more decent Dreamcast emulator out there, but I forgot the name.

Basically, Reicast is the go-to these days if you wish to do it relatively easily, fast, and for free. It's also on Android.
But if you don't care about the fact you're going to pay for a fucking EMULATOR, then Redream is the best thing around currently.

>These are such bizarre things to be excited for
It's not "bizarre", it's AMAZING. Because most of these things, even though initially were thought to be lost to time, were found out to be actually dumped one way or another, back in the days. They just weren't working/weren't implemented in emulators thus far due to different reasons (tech/hardware/software not being there yet and etc). It's VERY important because this essentially means that online features CAN be restored and thus even always-online content can be preserved. Nothing is lost, until it's actually truly lost (like devs themselves deliberately destroying the "golden disc", server stations or etc), which this recent development clearly confirms. Online is a blight on the modern video gaming industry as a whole, but things such as these clearly show us all that THE HOPE STILL LIVES ON.

You gotta let go man

>I don't know anything about PSO
It's one of the greatest MMOs ever made. It's also the very first officially recognized fully feature-complete MMORPG on consoles. It's a true pioneer of the genre.

>are the server files even openly available
They're technically not, BUT - most of it was dumped way back in the days, and later PC port (the "Blue Burst") has roughly 70% of it's content in exactly same form as the way it was on Dreamcast, so most of it could be recovered off of the Blue Burst even in the case if Dreamcast's original PSO's files couldn't be dumped (yet they were).

I like the idea, but I can't agree with the message. Lots of Satellaview stuff is just straight up lost forever. Just because some aspects of an online service can be emulated now, that doesn't mean this will persist into the future. Elements will be lost, in a way that new old stock cannot replace, because it doesn't exist.

Games are transitioning to cloud based services in the next decade or two, and those games truly will die when the servers go down, unless some server monkey salvages them from the ashes.

You can't let go when a thing can actually exist.
You can only let go when you 100% sure it won't be back ever again.
See Shenmue, for the prime example.

>Lots of Satellaview stuff is just straight up lost forever
That was a very different and way less mature time. It was LITERALLY a fucking Satellite on the orbit (which, BTW FYI, has gone down into the atmosphere and burned out completely only just recently, a couple years ago) that transmitted content to the console via a reciever add-on. Dreamcast's online, on the other hand, was a very standard internet, connection through a mere Ethernet/ADSL modem. Dreamcast's servers are mere PC stations/racks/blades, not some ephemeral shit flying in space.

BTW, if you this Satellaview had it bad, I'll always be reminding you people of Sega's "Meganet", "Answer" and etc.

>Just because some aspects of an online service can be emulated now, that doesn't mean this will persist into the future.
"What is vanilla World of Warcraft fan-made servers".avi
>Games are transitioning to cloud based services in the next decade or two, and those games truly will die when the servers go down, unless some server monkey salvages them from the ashes
Sailor Moon Drops died very recently, yet it was preserved. It can't be played currently, because very core structure of the game requires to be always connected online, but all of game's files were preserved nonetheless. It just needs servers now (nobody did them thus far, though).

Attached: WOOOOO.gif (498x280, 2.27M)

Up

You fags ready to step into the future of online gaming... again?

youtu.be/dyEnJCgTZds

Attached: 1532825289178.webm (720x404, 430K)

>again
I never left, to begin with.
Played original very first release (the bugget-to-shit one) on the Dreamcast waaay back in the days (was actually one of the people in the crowd who attended the very first ever officially documented/recognized online MMORPG wedding, which was in PSO and at which the original devs were present), then played Gamecube's port, then moved to Blue Burst when it came to PC, and then moved to PSO 2 even when it was just in Japanese.

>the very first ever officially documented/recognized online MMORPG wedding, which was in PSO

Is that why PSO2 shills a whole season for weddings?

>step into the future
b-b-but PSO is a PREQUEL to the very first Phantasy Star, though (14000~ some years back, if I remember it correctly. Phantasy Star III really fucked the entire series' continuity up, by essentially resetting the timeline and rendering TEoTM nonexistent/uncanon). PSO is a distant past, not future.

Kek. Weddings were a fuckhueg thing way back in Phantasy Star III, but PSO was the very first every officially documented/recognized MMO in existence/history to have an actual wedding online. They even had two special player-exclusive Mags created by devs in form of rings, which the players had to exchange. They also had specially tailored for them exclusive costumes in form of a tuxedo and a wedding dress. Shit was insane, especially because actual devs attended it. It was an immense PR stunt, by today's standards, but it worked well. Moments like this are unforgettable, because you're literally being present during a historical moment that changes the industry on-the-fly.

Attached: Utopia V2.png (800x533, 2.44M)

>You ready
Yeeeeeboooooooooiiii

Attached: PSO-ready.jpg (1280x720, 167K)