Turn-Based Combat

Oh fuck Yea Forums!

You have been tasked by an Indie developer to make the absolute snoozefest that is "Turn-based combat" actually engaging. Failure to do so will result in the death of your cat.

What the fuck do you do?

Attached: fug.png (1180x848, 1.34M)

freedom of movement and attack when it's your turn, as if time is frozen. you get granted one attack or one action like activating a consumable, while moving freely within a confined battle space, once your turn ends you're stuck where you last stood, be it attacking, blocking or healing. as movement is an important mechanic, certain moves will have a designated area of effect like a line, circle or cone allowing you to position yourself for an optimal attack while compensating for your vulnerability

>copy+paste Darkest Dungeon
now never talk to me or Niggerman ever again

QTE-based command results.
Like in Mario and Luigi games. This is a no-brainer.

Trails of Cold Steel does strict turn-based right. The key is being able to manipulate turn order, which that series lets you do in spades. It's a minigame unto itself.

Just copypaste SMT's press turn and add some flashy animations

Copy Undertale and make it turn into a shmup during the battle phase, but incorporate more shmup mechanics. Basically Deltarune combat combined with the Metatton fight only better.

I'd just make Grandia 2's system and make the fights actually challenging.

Attached: 235-2Ry9pYA.gif (480x320, 2.52M)

Virgo vs the Zodiac's combat system

You don't pretend it's not a turn-based system, for starters.
Just balance shit properly without being afraid to kick the player's ass if they fuck up your battles, especially bosses.

isnt that neptunias combat system

>Allow you to move freely like in a chess game, but so can your enemies
>Movement is times so you have to quickly think where to move,
>Then the fighting occurs, where you select a command and so does the opponent
>Attacks, items, magic, anything and almost everything (in combat scenarios) takes up time, so you are in a haste to do it quickly
>Command gets sent through and the scenario plays out.
Now, I don't know if it's fun, but it's my personal take on it. I really don't know if this exists already in a game or something (which it probably does), it would still be better than turn based combat

Good thing I'm allergic to cats.

Nigga, that's not turn based.

It's pretty simple. Instead of your turn being you pick an attack and it does x damage with x% to crit, make it so that you have to do couple second minigame or QTE that dictates your damage depending on how well you do rather than chance, also do the same thing for when an enemy attacks to dodge or reduce damage. Undertale has one of the best turn-based combat systems because it does this.

do a proper paper mario sequel

And what if the player just wants to grind? Then you balance EXP curves properly and let bosses give the most EXP.
Now the player has a reason to progress instead of grinding with 5 EXP enemies when they need 2000 EXP to level up.

Meaningful encounters, tight maps, pretty much every action does something more than just damage.
Basically, what Into the Breach did.

I like how they did it in FFXII with gambits and frew movement. Although the game is barely turn-based.

I insert Original Sin's turn-based combat but dial back the environmental effects

Based.

what are the top two games?

Easy. I make it a isometric rpg and add Underrail tier build flexibility and tools, to the point I can be utterly fucking broken and the enemies can also be utterly fucking broken. Also add in psionics for fun,

I would make something like Pokemon where you can get a roster of characters with unique jobs and abilities that can also be taught and learn moves on their own. I would combine this with the team attacks seen in Chrono Trigger and Saga Frontier. Make it so these abilities or attacks have their uses, their strengths and weaknesses. Same for Characters and enemies

Battles aren't random. You can at least see enemies and avoid them. For battles you can choose to reload right at that battle you are fighting or from another save if you'd like. Also there is a fast forward button that has different levels of speeds. Grinding isn't necessary ever. Battles are meant to be strategic rather than most turn based games where they are simple. Also no autistic battles like you got to fight the boss for 10 hours or any nonsense like that.

I'd go for a more realistic graphical look to the game, maybe something along the lines of FFVII remake or even something just a bit more stylish so it doesn't look completely bland.

Finally this is just a theory so I am not sure how well it might be, make a rewind button as well. I wouldn't automatically do this though. I just wonder if it could work. I mean why not right?

Xenogears and Off I think? Off is free.

Sounds cool, would play

good post

Sounds like Frozen Synaps or whatever that game is.

Also what's the bottom right in the OP?

Use Mother 3's health wheel and rhythm combos, use some kind of vidual indicators for the beats so it's not as confusing.

Allow changing positions like on a tile system in tactics style games for more strategy, much more than just front and back row.
Make each character have a limit to how far they can move by consuming part of your ATB, more moves means less points for bigger attacks and vice versa.
Dont you dare remove control of party members either like some modern games have, letting you control everyone is a given for petes sake.
Give each party member a somewhat customizable AI, stuff like approach or stay away from enemies and stick together or spread out. It wouldnt be that bad, weve seen it in snes games already just do it slightly better.
Make all turns happen immediately after selection and allow dpad to select and confirm movement in one press along with remmapable shortcuts for plenty of attacks/skills/spells.
Add a toggle for letting the game run or pause during menus.

I just made your turn based work in real time without really changing much of anything.

Stop introducing gimmicky shit and properly balance your shit.
I will elaborate next post

Not this shit again, why are people so ass blasted by turn based combat?

>Go fishing with unrealistic expectation of the experience
>Whoa, why is the water wet? Why do I have to sit in a boat? Why do I have to be patient? This sucks, what the fuck

It's a genre that isn't for everybody, just like sports games. I wouldn't play soccer/football/racing game even if you payed me. Turn based combat is like some sort of ritualistic meditation, it helps to relax.

Attached: whatthefuck.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

>What the fuck do you do?
I just make an srpg instead.
That's technically turn-based. Ta-da. I take payment in cash or cheque.

Attached: yeah that works.jpg (600x375, 154K)

>it's now a popular opinion from adhd zoomers that nothing turn-based can be good

Yikes!

I take the opposite route, and do not make the combat interesting. Instead I make it automated, and give you a gambit system like in FFXII, turning the Turn-Based RPG into an RPG Team Manager game. I make combat as short and painless as it can be.

Look at how popular Autochess is right now, people crave automated RPG combat with strategy and gameplay in the setup area, and game devs should be delivering RPG's like this where you curate and build a team from little level 1 weaklings into specialized roles.

So, Dungeon Siege?

There's no cure for your ADHD, so I guess my imaginary cat can eat shit.

Hey guess what? People are okay with turn-based combat. Also I have no cat.

Child of light had a good system.

There was a time bar constantly progressing at the bottom and you stacked your actions against it. Whenever a skill hit the end of the bar it was executed, different skills having different cast times. If anyone got hit during a cast time they were staggered and their attack dropped to the far side of the time bar.

First of all: the most important thing in battles are of course your party and their actions.
If all you have(or rather, those are the only things that work) it's attacking and healing, then no matter how strong the enemy is, this is still all you will do.
So you might want to make each character work in different ways to achieve the desired effects, classes, job systems or simply completely unique abilities here are your best friends.

Then there's enemies.
If all they are too simple, then of course the player has no incentive in wasting resources to do anything but attacking and healing, again.
SMT here does it decently, you can just use that as example of good enemies.
Bosses shouldn't be just big enemies except for maybe the very early game ones: give them defined patterns that the players must have exploit to win.
Trial&Error isn't always bad design, but maybe have a savepoint nearby if the next boss is gonna make you have to learn the pattern.

Reward the player for exploring dungeons by giving them at least one or two piece of equipment that makes upcoming bosses bearable. Or consumables.

Restrict the fuck out of consumables. Those break RPGs really easily, don't allow players to access infinite strong healing items especially. Give them as treasure chests or exclusive drops.
Sure you can stock 99 Potions, but those will only help you in early game.

Soo underrail then

Guess I have to try it if it really has everything I'd want in RPGs.

Turn-based combat is fine as is. It's only an issue when the game doesn't clearly inform you of the turn order.

Might want to wait for the expansion which comes out this month though

Turn based games that use turns as a mechanic are the best.

Radiant Historia's placements, Etrian Odyssey's Link combos, Bravely Default's Brave system.

Just also make the game really fucking unforgiving so the player is forced to learn the ins and outs of the system.

Slay the Spire

Can easily be bad design if the game doesn't explain you said mechanics or doesn't give you enough examples.

When most people die in RPGs they automatically assume that they have to grind and complain rather than realizing that they're not going to beat everything on the first try and will have to actually 'strategize'. This is why modern RPGS are so easy and boring.

Ikr, but this applies to most genres, not even RPGs are immune to casuals ruining everything.

t. zoomer

I've always wanted to figure out if there was a way to make an RPG system where the levels would give out more options in battle but the strength level/parameter of the characters remain the same.
Basically an RPG system where you can beat the final boss at level 1 with enough planning and creativity but having a higher level gives you a lot more options.

Fuck you, my cat is already dying of old age.

There's certainly a way, but this also means a LV.1 enemy will bother you as much as a LV.50 one. Revisiting old areas with encounters is going to become annoying af

Well yeah.
The idea is that there are only a few levels so the focus won't be to grind to max, avoiding encounters is completely fine and there are monsters that would be hard to deal with normally but easy to deal with if the character learns certain skills or come up with specific builds.

So the RPG would encourage the player to build a diverse party with complementary skills and builds to handle different situations more easily. A party with each member specialized at a single task. So revisiting old areas will be easy if the members of the party is built to handle the enemies of that area.

I'm myself an indie game dev making a turn based RPG. Will not detail everything but I just think that nowaday people buy games knowing what to expect because of medias and everything. So I don't think there's a point to make a turn based RPG not feel turn based. There are turn based lovers that just love to think for 5 minutes before inputing actions, and watch cinematics over and over again while numbers increase, and optimise shit. That's this kind of people I want to have the best experience with my game. Only thing I'm giving to other people is multiple cinematics for the same attack, attention put to graphics ( my game is 3D ) and the ability to skip cinematics if they really don't want to watch them.
There's also no grinding in my game but I don't want to expand on this part that much.

You simply need to make positioning and movement matter instead of having everyone be able to hit everyone at all times. Even a relatively simple layer of this like in Darkest Dungeon adds a huge amount of extra thinking that needs to be done instead of mindlessly smacking the other party with bigger numbers to come out on top. 'Traditional' turn-based combat bores me to tears but I love Darkest Dungeon's take on it purely because it forces you to think about how you approach each fight and how to deal with situations where your guys get pulled out of position and can't use their skills properly.

Attached: dd combat.jpg (1920x1080, 411K)

I've had a long talk with my friend who despises RPGs about this.
A normal person assumes that grinding is the norm, when that is absolutely not the truth.

Grinding should always be a punishment because the player didn't want to put the time in to learn the sistem, or the player built a character the wrong way, or made a team that doesn't quite work together.

For the people that want to grind for the sake of grinding, there's superbosses anyway, but even those are fun to break with a low level character.

This. But the worst is when those retards blame the game and then complain it becomes too easy when you are LV.90 at the first boss.

Honestly, rpgs (JRPGs in particular) are just not for everyone and people should realize this.
Just because something is beloved and popular, it doesn't mean you should also love it regardless of your taste.

Cat's are for manlets, I'm going to let this one slide OP

Attached: 488127736402149407.gif (128x91, 43K)

Yeah, just like Yiik