>barret: fight
>tifa: fight
>enemy attack
>cloud: bolt
>barret: fight
>tifa: fight
enemy attack
>cloud: fight

In 1997 this was compelling because of technical wizardry of 3d special effects and CG backgrounds. Replaying in 2019 I feel nothing but boredom.

Attached: Final+Fantasy+VII+Screenshot+Hell+Bubbles[1].jpg (1280x1024, 157K)

Shaka, when the walls fell.

>fight
It's ATTACK you tard

also set your game speed to high/active

You are just a zoomer
I am literally playing right now for the first time and loving it.
Just got to the city of the ancients

this is with highest game speed, lord help those who leave it at default

you must really love pressing O

I do, almost as much as I love pressing X

and do you not have all?

bolt + all usually kills an entire encounter at this point in the game

>walk 10 seconds
>battle starts
>hold the fast forward button down because every version but psx is dogshit
>don't mash O if they have an enemy skill you want

>I am literally playing right now for the first time and loving it.
>for the first time
>calling others zoomers
just fucking WOW
OP is right you weebfags i like FF series but this is true

This is the beginning of the game. I think you can buy it by the time you're with Tifa but I don't really give a fuck. I know how all this will go and the addition of all doesn't change the fact that fighting the same enemies doing the same attacks and seeing the same magic over and over again is boring.

I played this game years ago because the story and the technology were novelties. It felt like the future. And I played it because of the personal challenge as a teenager of beating a "long game". That feeling is gone now.

I didn't have a PSX growing up

Attached: 16250.jpg (6880x6880, 3.38M)

That's how shitty designers stretch out the gameplay time.
Few really hard hand made encounters > bazillion non-threatening random shit just to waste your time.

wow did you actually skip getting all what a scrub

literally the reason why I cant get into ff6, 7, 8 or 9. for some reason I dont feel like this with 10, 10-2, or 12.

I knew people who lived in single wide trailers with poop bins because the toilet wouldn't flush right who still somehow cobbled together enough dough for a used playstation.

I also know lots and lots of huezilians and ching chongs of every type managed to pull off the same feat.

You have no excuse.

Wow almost like the beginning of every jrpg ever has few skill options.

I got an N64 instead and never cared much for the PSX titles until later in my life, I don't need a fucking "excuse" to have not played FF7 until now, I am positive there is some popular game out there that you have never played because lack of interest, etc.

The combat itself isn't interesting, its the materia system.

If it was released from 1997 to 2003 I doubt it. I exhausted the catalog from those years by 2010.

It was fun to figure out how to exploit materia pairings the first time around and especially fun to get a new summon materia and see the cutscene.

I don't know if zoomers would be excited to see a low poly dragon now. Maybe they would enjoy the idea of LARPing/slumming it with a retro JRPG the way I play 70s and early 80s arcade games.

i rolled knight as my first job for a four job fiesta in ffv and just straight slapped A for a multiple hours of gameplay and i liked it

Attached: larged.jpg (470x595, 71K)

End-game battles in the North Crater run along the same lines except using stronger magic.

You did not. You only pretended to have fun, and fun isn't enough.

Why not go 4x berserker and not even press anything to win?

>I don't like the game, so I feel compelled to complain about it on 4chink! Woe me!

I think that's just the reality of modern vs "classic"" entertainment.

Aside from your real aficionados, most people can't appreciate "classics" on their own terms.

I played through about half of FF XII casting haste+berserk on the whole party armed with that one stupidly good dagger for boss battles. Boss would be dead in about 10-15 seconds and I never saw any of their attacks.

Attached: 12321355.jpg (477x352, 29K)

more like
>I said true about game but some weebfags cant stand the truth

turn based combat sucks god damn

Can't really expect a zoomer to understand it.

>26y
keep trying weebfag

anyone under 30 is a zoomer

Old action games
>Attack attack attack, super attack
Old turn-based games
>Attack attack attack, heal

New Action games
>Positioning, Attack, Dodge, Attack, Super Attack
New Turn-based games
>Attack, attack, attack, attack

Turn-based just didn't catch up.

wrong
New Turn-based games
>buff, debuff, attack, heal

turn based is for intellectuals. I wouldn't expect a zoomer to understand.

>intellectual
You can complete the game entirely with attacking, and there are many anecdotal accounts of people beating the game using only attack and items because they didn't know how to equip materia.

>not giving barret and tifa fire and ice materia
lmao

Then the battles are just casting the same spells over and over.

To be honest I can do the same with any title.

Play with the new threat mod. It actually makes the game decently tough and makes you actually build your characters in certain ways. Also makes materia other than the standard magic attacks/summons/enemy skill actually useful.

But that applies to all rpg games. Even more so at the start of the game. Unless you have more options to use you can't really use them and even when you have them their use becomes systematic in a way that can be scrutinized:
>get Time materia
>use Haste every combat

You can twist every game the same way as OP did if you want to.

I played it for the first time in 2018 and it was still exciting and lots of fun.
The presentation is really good. The camera movement, the character animations, the music, the sound design. The materia system gives it a surprising depth where you try to optimize your setup and create a good synergy between everything. Especially during boss fights the combat really shiney, having a timer puts some pressure on you to decide as fast as possible, quickly react to the enemy and adjust for the situation. It's not often but when it gets hectic it becomes incredibly exciting and fun.

You forgot the point where
>laser enemy: *whiiiiirs*
>ten seconds later
>laser is still trying to decide which party member to attack
>laser enemy forgot whir and learned attack
>laser attack
x3 because they always come in threes and have high speed to preempt you

This.
Hell, even playing the game with enemy hp multiplier is better.
>poisoning actually useful
>gravity actually useful
>regen actually useful
>status effects actually useful
>items other than grenades actually useful
>you have to actually actually pick your fights
>money management an actual part of the game

FFVII is the best game ever made and the best game it is possible to make. If you find it boring its because you are too stupid to understand it, the subtle philosophical nuances are lost on an uncouth peasant such as yourself.

>I hate a universally beloved classic give me (you)s!

Attached: 1562104733928.png (454x520, 13K)

Does anyone play them game without using summons? They waste so much time.

Played New Thread a few years ago. Pretty much the most well made mod I've ever seen for any game. It's not just "dude super hard battles lmao", but actually has a lot of new and clever content.

If you feel like it was cool back then cause of the tech then that's fine.
But don't decide for others what's fun and what isn't.

>>regen actually useful
Regen was pretty broken in vanilla when paired with haste/big guard considering it made you practically invincible in 99% of battles.

Regen runs out in no time with Haste. Especially on the highest battle speed.

Yeah but it takes a second to recast and haste doesn't run out unless the enemy slows you.

My comment was more aimed at the fact that you actually use Regen in fights, even in those that don't involved a boss. Regen was "fine" in vanilla assuming you used it to begin with which a lot of people didn't even though it has good synergy with Big Guard/MBarrier because in general it wasn't needed.

The fuck do zoomers have against gameplay loops

Summons aren't particulary great in 7, I mean sure they do big damage but they have the largest MP cost and reduce a character's HP by at least 10% per equip.

Honorable mention to Hades tho, ridiculously overpowered when paired with Added Effect

Its «mash x to win - the game»

>Regen was pretty broken in vanilla
Regen was far from broken in vanilla unless you abused the disc-tray thing. The only reason it was used is because mbarrier didn't decrease the regeneration.
If you were fighting against something that forced you to use mbarrier/big guard to survive you were basically forced use cures/items/white wind/angel whisper anyways because regen just wasn't going to cut it.

I know man, there's not even a dodge button or anything, it's like Miyazaki didn't even work on this game.

Play Shigatari

you don't have Tifa in the first 10 minutes.

>completing the game is the challenge
>obtaining/optimising equipment and making your party exponentially more effective isn't the challenge

Attached: Imagfe1.jpg (1372x980, 203K)

>NOOOO YOU HAVE TO LIKE WHATEVER I LIKE I LIKE MY GRUMP DUMPY SONIC 06 REEEEE

To be fair FF7 without some way to fast forward is pretty unbearable due to how slow everything is due to technical limitations. Random encounters take a goddamn century just off of the leadin and leadout times alone on PS1.

Switch version's speed toggle and emulator use ease up on that element a ton and make the gameplay much more enjoyable. It's not the perfect game and it's pretty damn easy, but it has a lot of charm and good elements to it for an RPG. ATB is both a point for and against it, I have no idea what to feel about that to this day.

It's pretty sad that the NES ff3 has the fastest combat of all the turn-based final fantasy games. Fuck ATB.

>attack
「たたかう」んだよ、トクメイちゃん。

えいごばんよりニッポンゴばん のほうが いい

Attached: chin chong nip nong.jpg (223x349, 36K)

What’s it like to have crippling ADD?

>they do big damage but they have the largest MP cost
MP-wise they are actually great. Damage-per-MP ratio favors summons over 'normal' spells until you start doing max damage with summons with perhaps one or two exceptions. They still take so much time to do their thing that time-wise is not worth using them.
By the time Neo Bahamut is done with the animation I could have done just as much damage if not more attacking.

>Summons aren't particulary great in 7
the fuck am I reading
you can beat all endgame bosses with a single KotR summon

I just started the tutorial
>"let me hit your, trust me"
>die
>"never trust your enemy"
hahaha oh man that was good

ATB is one of the worst components of a turn-based game because it "encourages quick thinking" when really all it does is encourage the player to spam the simplest solution and dissuades any thought process that comes with designing encounters.

Jesus christ, stop whining about ATB and put it on pussy "Wait" mode instead then. Whiny ass clown.

I'm playing it now and I'm fine with the various encounters, even at low levels. It's a JRPG, the grinding and fighting is part of the fun, you get into something of a rhythem with it. It's good, it's what I wanted.

the game is designed around ATB so that doesn't fix any problems that ATB brings. There's more decision making in FF2 in comparison.

Except it solves your complaint and now you have all the time to decide between using attack or using fire.
Not to mention that even in ATB mode the enemies will wait while you're in a menu.

You're a faggot.

i think ff7 should have been remade into something like the divinity games. instead its going to suck fucking balls; i know if i played the remake i wouldn't be able to stop cringing.

final fantasy as a series died when they added voice acting.

Attached: divinity2.jpg (3840x2160, 2.33M)

>FF
>Decision making
Yeah, no. It's mostly always been about knowing what to do in advance. It's casual enough that 80% if the shit you'd try would always work outside of superbosses, but knowing what to do in advance always saves you time and "effort".

Joke's on you. Enemy ATB fills during attack animations, so setting it on high speed gives them more turns, making fights take longer. Normal is far quicker.

>FFVII is the best game ever made and the best game it is possible to make
Wrong.

Attached: r.jpg (460x215, 8K)

JRPG game is bout the story senpai.
You have wrona attitude.

FFXV had that same problem despite having a completely different combat system. I never bothered exploiting weaknesses because just dodging until I could land a team attack worked well enough on almost everything.

He didn't say that, though. However, you are acting like a fucking child and think everyone has to not like the game because you don't like it. And the fact that you can't even grasp the difference between your statement and the one from the user you quoted shows that you are uneducated as fuck.

I'm playing it for first time on switch and I like it. But I play with the fast speed cheat thing. Its unbearably slow without that.