Steam

uh oh. I think I tried activating a steam card that wasn't paid for. Am I going to get in trouble?

Attached: the birth of steam.png (520x668, 390K)

You shouldn't be using Steam or paying for digital distribution

Attached: the only acceptable answer2.png (991x356, 19K)

That doesn't answer my question. If I tried punching the code into steam from a gift card and it apparently was not activated, am I going to get in trouble? Like, is this tracked and steam is going to log it as suspicious activity or something? Or legal trouble? What if you try activating a card and the card doesn't work?

Wow dude you're such a badass!

the card isn't worth anything, fuck off
is this still bait if it's in response to bait
what a world

The store would have to report that specific card as stolen, otherwise they'd just have to assume that a store failed to activate the card.

Should I find the store and return it then?

Nope, it will just get blacklisted and no value you be added.

Yeah but is it then going to be marked as stolen and then they'll send the cops after me or what's the deal here?

Actually will I just be in more trouble if I try and return it to the store?

>create steam account in 2003
>fast forward to 2019
>all my physical games are long gong
>still have every game I ever purchased on Steam

Physical ownership is a meme.

Put the card back in the packaging, sneak it back into the store, and buy it. Then if anything happens, you can tell steam support that the store fucked up, you took it back, and you have the receipt as proof you legitimately purchased the card.

Absolute worst case is they ban the steam account you tried to activate it on. A company isn't going to take someone to small claims court.

Can't. I literally don't have the money.

Also what packaging? Steam cards are pieces of cardboard with a scratch off on the back for a code, which I unfortunately scratched off hence realizing the issue

maybe you should be doing better things with your time than video games

What if I just take it back to the store and say there was a mistake?

Shit, I figured they were like most gift cards that came in a flimsy little cardboard sleeve that hid the scratch off from plain view. It's better you don't go back to the store anyway, they're probably looking out for you.

Speak for yourself guy I still own my snes games
Take better care of your shit

Not a hoarder, sorry.

Nah you'll be fine. The scratch code is for the cashier on the register, which after you paid he'll give you the actual steam code on the receipt. Steam doesn't recognize the code and will just think you entered gibberish.

Or at least that's how it works in a store I know.

are you serious?

are you 12?

if the card wasn't scanned and activated by the cashier at a specific retailer then you (or your pal) literally wasted your time to steal a useless giftcard.

you won't get in trouble because because retailers get paid jackshit for giftcards. no markups nothing. they're literally there in hopes that you buy something else that was marked up in addition to the card.

based

Attached: absolutely fucking based.jpg (637x254, 44K)