Let's have a good old fashioned Baldur's Gate thread going

Let's have a good old fashioned Baldur's Gate thread going.

What's your dream team party?

Attached: s-l300.jpg (248x300, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tamrielfoundry.com/articles/the-ultimate-baldurs-gate-experience/
shsforums.net/topic/60450-restore-bg1-spawns-bgt-spawn-tweak/
forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=981
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ELVEN

All psionics

Reminder that Baldur's Gate was better than 2.
Reminder that waifufags are cancer.
Reminder that bg3 will suck.

BGT/TUTU/EE niggers tongue my anus.

Attached: 1538978541865.gif (200x190, 838K)

Canon party:
-Human Paladin
-Imoen
-Khalid
-Jaheira
-Minsc
-Dynaheir

Attached: 1382131029398.jpg (479x720, 40K)

Dwarf fighter
Dwarf fighter
Dwarf fighter
Dwarf fighter
Dwarf fighter
Dwarf fighter

Pretty good except for Khalid and Jaheira. Replace those two with my hombre Coran and based Yeslick and we're cool.

>follow that tamriel unlimited baldur's gate modding guide
>make a few changes here and there
>add some more stuff not in that guide
>end result is a 12GB Baldur's Gate 2 installation
>mfw it just works and it's an absolute blast

Attached: 1550204749362.jpg (960x951, 57K)

Based
also play IWD

Attached: iwind020.png (640x480, 385K)

IWD is great.
>mfw beamdogshit will NEVER EVER release iwd2 EE

Attached: wehappyfew.jpg (960x720, 287K)

Anyone else think exploring the wilderness at night was scary because Sarevok could be out there? Instead he disappears and doesn't show up til near the end of the game.

Leaves weak little bitches to look for you.

Where's the anti-beamdog lawful good user at?

He thought Gorion's ward would just end up dying in the wilderness, killed by some gibberlings or something like that. Didn't really think of much for running away.

>mfw beamniggers will never touch any other D&D IPs with a ten foot pole
Man, just think of the absolute rectal ragnarok on the day they found out Larian's doing BG3.

Attached: 1522414490927.jpg (431x352, 13K)

he was busy killing all the other bhaalspawn

Ranger/Cleric charname with ashideena
Kagain with Dagger Of Venom and Gauntlets of Dexterity
Shar-Teel Fighter7/Thief with Varscona
Coran with composite long bow +1 and Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Edwin with four casts of Haste

I always have Kagain kill Yeslick when we reach the Cloakwood Mines.

Delete yourself.

Trilogy or TUTU?

Slinger squad of six

shit or piss

What have those mods done to your feelings so?

I want a new playthrough. Wild Mage or Blade? Probably going to roll with a 3 man party

vanilla

Attached: IMG_20161023_134409.jpg (4032x3024, 3.96M)

lmao gramps, bin that oldsmobile tier monitor and pick up some good stuff

yeah gotta get a 40 inch monitor for those 640x480 games

well duh, gramps

Modern displays let you dual class shitposting with playthroughs.

Attached: lmao laptop display.png (1366x768, 759K)

Favorite moments/quests?

Never played this game before,how do I start? is Enhanced Edition good enough? should I start with BG2 instead?
best noob friendly class?

>Never played this game before,how do I start?
RTFM
>is Enhanced Edition good enough?
If you pirate it. Fuck Beamdog.
>should I start with BG2 instead?
No. Save importing is half the appeal of older RPGs.
>best noob friendly class?
They're all pretty noob friendly. It's not a hard game. Don't overthink it.

Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones.

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

Attached: 1541310223778[1].png (661x245, 39K)

Literally just the evil companions.
>PC as some edgy shit
>Viccy the healslut
>Korgan the killing machine murdering everything with dual axes
>Edwin for haste and fireballs
>Imoen because I'm a pussy and just like the character, but she gets on with all the other characters so give a shit
>some loser to replace with based Sarevok in ToB

Attached: 1556898913908.jpg (1920x1357, 219K)

Pirate the games. Don't give money to Beamshit. The Enhanced Editions are just the original games with community mods, shitty out of place characters and tons of bugs that didn't exist before the games were "enhanced."

Just pirate the originals (Beamdog removed them from EVERY ONLINE STORE AVAILABLE so that people would buy their shit instead) and just install the Widescreen mod. You can also get the Unfinished Business if you want to. They're super easy and quick to install. The Widescreen mod is really just under 1 minute of work to get done.

Paladin imo is the most noob friendly class. You have better defense against spells, a healing and protection from evil from start also really good kits

EE is great, don't listen to these bitter boomers. it has a ton of bug fixes and Siege of Dragonspear is a decent segue to BGII. Definitely start with 1 though

When you tell a cuckold to kill his wife and her lover then report him to the guard for pocket money.

I heard that the source code is lost for iwd2

Let's hope it stays lost.

Good.

>best noob friendly class?
Dwarf fighter with 18/xx strength, 17 dex, and maxed out con. Most other ability scores for him will be worthless so feel free to min/max.

Bassilus

Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep in general desu. But I find Durlag's Tower reward wise very weak

well duh of course it is weak, compared to BG2 in general where godly loot is thrown at you like candy.

Even compared to game it is in it feels weak though. IIRC when you kill Aec'letec, a fucking demon, you get like a +2 warhammer. And the +3 sword you get from killing that death knight doesn't even have any special effects on it. Even getting that longsword from Greywolf feels better
The dungeon is good but it doesn't feel rewarding, not to mention you can't import any of the items either

Where is this guide, nigga? I wanna play some absurdly bloated BG2.

>Korgan
bg2babby detected

Not him, but what's wrong with Korgan? He's a solid fighter and his banter is entertaining.

OP explicitly posts an image of the original Baldur's Gate and this nigger posts about 2.

What's the hardest class to roll optimally?

My bad, I'm a drunk retard and can't read. I always play the entire series through whenever I do a replay so I've always considered it one big game.

Fighter/Mage/Cleric wants 18/18/18/18/18

tamrielfoundry.com/articles/the-ultimate-baldurs-gate-experience/

There you go. Don't download the mods from those links since some of them are out of date. Just google each of those mods there and get the latest up to date stuff. Also don't use BGSpawn System, get this instead: shsforums.net/topic/60450-restore-bg1-spawns-bgt-spawn-tweak/ while installing BGT.
There are two versions of the Ascension mod that you can get, by the way. One's the original Ascension by Gaider, while the other is an updated version with more content and fixes by the guy behind Sword Coast Stratagems. If you get Ascension 2, install the BG2 Fix Pack first and then Ascension 2.

You might also be interested in getting Wheels of Prophecy. It makes ToB a bit less linear. Install it after Ascension. Bigger Fonts is also pretty recommended if you'll play the game on high resolutions. You'll also want to get the Restored Textscreen Music mod, since the BGT versions of the intro and the dream scenes lack that music. If you want some more eye candy, you can get the RezMod and only install Ioun Stones component and then download the Ioun Stones from this link forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=981 and copy them to BG2's override folder.

Whatever you choose to do, be sure to end it all with Generalized Biffing. This stuff will make sure your game won't run like absolute ass. First time I tried running this guide without Generalize Biffing and the framerate was terrible, it was simply unplayable. After using this, everything ran perfectly fine.

Attached: Baldr028.png (1920x1080, 2.14M)

Also here's the install order I had in the end.
0. ddraw fix
1. Throne of Bhaal Extender
2. BG2 Fixpack
3. Ascension 2
4. Wheels of Prophecy
5. Baldur's Gate Trilogy with Restored Balur's Gate 1 Spawns
6. BGT Graphics Overhaul
7. BG1 NPC Project
8. Music Pack
9. BG1 Unfinished Business
10. BG2 Banterpack
11. BG2 Unfinished Business
12. Sword Coast Stratagems
13. BGT Tweak Pack
14. BG2 Tweaks
15. One Pixel Productions
16. Ding0 Experience Fixer
17. BGT Music Mod (Full Version with Patched Exe)
18. BGT Widescreen
19. BG2 Bigger Fonts
20. Restored Textscreen Music (English)
21. RezMod (Only the modded Ioun Stones component)
22. WoRm's Ioun Stones (directly into the overrides folder)
23. Generalized Biffing
The ddraw fix isn't really needed. I think some versions of the game already come with it. Oh and I have no idea if this works with the Enhanced Editions. Could work, who knows.

Did Wheels of Prophecy work without a problem to you? With too many mods that mod gets bugged from my experience

Thanks user. Time to install a shit-ton of mods and pray to the gods that it doesn't break on itself.

Attached: oldtimer.png (529x582, 541K)

Don't know, I haven't gotten to ToB yet. Just finished the first game today and started 2. All I can say right now is that everything related to Baldur's Gate 1 and TotSC worked perfectly fine. Had a handful of crashes throughout the entire thing, but none of them were from any specific reasons. Just random stuff that would happen once every few dozens of hours.

Did you by any chance play with Wheels of Prophecy on an already existing save? Pretty sure mods like that break if they aren't played on new saves.

Attached: Baldr033.png (1920x1080, 1.84M)

No, it was a fresh game and it had worked before but adding some more mods on it resulted in one of the last npcs not talking to me IIRC, but that was in 2015 or 2016. Maybe it is fixed now but I don't really want to install it if it's not

Did any of those mods that you install after Wheels of Prophecy alter the story in any way or make tweaks to it? I don't really think the mods from the tamriel unlimited guide conflict with it. The only one I can imagine causing problems with it is Sword Coast Stratagems, but after checking its readme again, it says that it's fully compatible with it.

Attached: Baldr005.png (1920x1080, 2.71M)

So how much do you want for that CRT? I'd like to donate it to a Melee scene in my area.

Just started replaying the first game last night. Never tried out one of the triple classes before, so I decided to play FMT and see how it turns out. Wish that mod that tweaks familiars didn't make them so annoying, the changes sounded neat.

>safana was just a sex object in bg 1
What? BG1 had virtually no characterization. It wasn't until 2 that you actually missed out if you just made your own party,

I can't remember honestly, I probably tried to do multiple Saerileth installs or some shit

I too like playing Age of Baldur's Gate

It's probably a lot more stable and compatible with more mods today than it was in 2015 or 2016. Its last update is from June 10. Might be worth it to give it another shot.

What of who?

Is Baldur's Gate one of the few examples of "lolsorandumb" companions done right? Feels as if most games nowadays (even those from modern Bioware) fail terribly with such companions and they all end up being bad jokes with no personality.

In PoE if you skip early sidequests and come back to them later with later companions do they have anything to say about them? In PS:T even Vhailor had some things to say about earlier quests IIRC

Nah, Xzar got on my nerves with his gibbering and since there's no real subsequent post-hiring character interaction, Minsc just comes across as a joke too.

But they did it about as well as you could. Only other game I can think of that did joke party members without them being abysmal was LISA. Probably for the same reason, no real post-hiring interaction.

Speaking of PoE, is 2 as bad as everyone here makes it out to be? If the first game's story bored me to death, would the second one be any better? Really itching for more cRPGs.

How bad was Siege of Dragonspear? NEver played it.

Holy shit I forgot how bad the dialogue in BG2 is compared to 1 and Black Isle's IE games.

I just hate how the stat system works in those games.

>canon party
but why

>Really itching for more cRPGs
Well you've got Ultima, Might and Magic, Darklands, Fallout 1 and 2, Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil.

There's a solid 30 years of decent cRPGs to crawl through, these new offerings are still being put through the wringer of critical dissection before they get their shit together. Unfortunately, Obsidian is proving to be a poor learner and inXile just needs to fucking die.

>inXile just needs to fucking die.

Not until I get the bard's tale 2

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 123K)

After how they handled IV?

The originals m8

Attached: Ruathey.png (319x518, 232K)

It was pretty funny how they went for the console audience and refused to talk to codex, called them second tier or something. But after seeing the sales they apologized immediately

The Bard's Tale trilogy remakes are developed by a different company. The first one is actually really decent.

I don't like party RPGs. How screwed am I if I play solo?

If you aren't really experienced with the game, you'll get your shit pushed in. Just play Divine Divinity instead if you really can't stand party based RPGs. It's like Diablo and Baldur's Gate had a love child. The story isn't is good as BG but it's still far better than Diablo.

Play Icewind Dale.

Attached: iwind030.png (640x480, 380K)

I'd say the story is on par with BG. Maybe even above. Especially all the side-characters, plots and payoffs.

But the dialogue and humour is... Belgian. Which is not good. And there's a lot of it.

Triple classes are much stronger in BG2.
For the first game, you are better off dual classing or multiclassing instead.

>dream team party
I personally think a party of just paladins and clerics in a d&d setting would be cool

make one then

I can't make a d&d setting you fool

a party of just paladins and clerics

paladins and clerics aren't real, silly

I love BG with all my heart, but it is unforgiving to low levels. 2nd edition did not fuck around.

Protip:

If you buy EE on Gog, you can still get the original games. If you go into the browser store on your account, check the EE version, then go more->serial keys, you get a code to unlock the original for free.

that would be cool and useful in Ravenloft, I guess? I don't know what I'm talking about

Any as long as I am a sorcerer

I don't know shit about D&D but I always thought it was odd that the first level up doubled your health. It makes the first few levels enormous. And every subsequent one less and less of an issue mostly.

Not a terrible thing necessarily as I kind of like being a little runt at the beginning of rpg's. But still.

Attached: 1434154509116.jpg (532x664, 106K)

It's due to 2.0 at the time, which focuses very heavily on the "everyone's just a buttfuck commoner" angle.

I love the poverty phase in any RPG. Makes character progression more distinct. The lower the better, if I could start a game as a weak shit with nothing but their fists, no skills or class whatsoever, and end as Godkiller The Triumdick, that would be ace. Some games come close.

Unfortunately it doesn't pair so well with the early levels of missmissmissmiss combat in Baldur's Gate, but it's still enjoyable.

IWD handles the early game a lot better with variants of the basic weapons with improved thac0

Suppose I better get around to playing IWD, then.

Is it true Josh disliked Kana in PoE? Why?

It does sort of make sense to the game mechanics in the pen and paper (sort of. AD&D and the Dnd mechanics in general are pretty primitive and gamey).

A level 1 fighter is a wet behind the ears rookie
A level 2 fighter is a tested veteran

After a character is blooded though, the difference in skill becomes less apparent. A level 7 and level 8 fighter are both masters of their craft, and the difference between them isn't that huge. Level 8 guy only has a slight edge.

A level 2 character is actually a big deal. Meanwhile, you can sort of expect "ordinary" mages who aren't just useless students to at least be level 3. They are actually equal in combat to a wet behind the ears soldier. A real nigga mage is at least level 6. Not only are they skilled at magic, they are also equal in combat to veteran soldiers.

Will I like this if my only experience with cRPGs is the Shadowrun trilogy?

You might end up liking it more as there is way more to do and learn.

You're meant to start with the classics and work your way towards the cult hits, and then the unknowns and upstarts.

Starting today then. Playing genres I barely touched has proven to be a good way to deal with my vidya burnout.

based

It doesn't feel so bad after playing Pathfinder Kingmaker, now that's a game that doesn't fuck around.

ID1=BG1>ID2>BG2>memescape:torment

Good luck, have fun buddy.

bluhblahblahueheblewblew