About to start Dark souls 2

Anything I should know first?

Attached: ds2.jpg (323x433, 25K)

It's pretty bad but it's also ok if you have low standards

Raise your ADP

hitboxes are absolute penis compared to DS1

Play dark souls 3 instead. It is aesthetically better and the gameplay is more reliable.
>a lone knight traversing a dying world to give it a little longer or let it fade completely
KINO

more like Hallway Souls 3

Attached: 1471699792519.jpg (471x291, 26K)

don't

head for the greatsword in no man's dward ASAP.
Amazing weapon.
Also, weapon load is tied to vitality now, not endurance.
Ignore shields they suck in this game, learn to dodge.
Don't waste a human effigy (humanity) unless you know what you're doing. The ring of binding makes them almost useless just like ds1 wow
Have fun

Attached: 1559091568703.png (405x540, 293K)

Well I had fun with it. It provoked thought provoking questions & a feeling of accomplishment. Nothing is perfect but that game is my favorite.

I used provoking too many times. Fuck.

>hitboxes are absolute penis compared to DS1
wasn't an issue for me.
this is a meme, right? I just beat my first playthough ever with 10 ADP and had no issues.

ADP increases your i-frames when rolling.

I'm aware, but again, it wasn't a problem for me.
I still only had a handful of deaths with low ADP.

DS3 is good for a single playthrough because it's a hallway simulator, much like Sekiro. 1 and 2 are amazing

Skip it or expect to have zero fun in that abomination.
If you must play it, raise ADP. Your i-frames are tied to a fucking stat, and it starts you super low.
and ignore shitposters and/or retards like this

>this is a meme, right?
Yea Forums is full of casuals which is why 2 is so hated here

>Anything I should know first?
B-Team

mace is overpowered

good job user. You proved the retards who say you absolutely need ADP in 2 wrong

>le casuals
literally incapable of even lying and saying it's good. DS2 apologists can only insult people who justifiably hate it.

>and ignore shitposters and/or retards like this
>has to call a guy a shitposter because he's skilled at a video game
nu-Yea Forums everyone.
Watch a speedrun and learn how to play the game.
You don't need 20+ ADP.

>you character is affected by a stat
>in an rpg
You realize how retarded you sound?

Don't even humor the garbage hitboxes and ADP. Just go full shieldshitter.

Nah, he's right. DaS2 is good.
It doesn't matter, though. Miyazaki didn't direct it so we're not allowed to enjoy it.

>dude just follow speedrun strats
Ya lemme boot up DS1 and skip the bells of awakening. Actual retards are who defend DS2
A stat like that shouldn't be, especially since the two games before it didn't have that.

>I dictate what should and shouldn't be affected by stats
Go fuck yourself

>Your i-frames are tied to a fucking stat
This is such right wing Nazi trash. What were they thinking?
I should be allowed to roll through every single attack easily just like in Dark Souls 3.
Fucking bullshit game that's literally too difficult.

Cool just telling you what ADP does since you thought it was a troll. Helps with the shitty hitboxes too.

Playing through my first time now.
Fuck the Shaded Woods and those ghost enemies you can't lock onto.

A stat that gimps the "action" part of "action-RPG". I personally don't even have a problem with it, what I have a problem with is that it doesn't actually tell you that it affects your iframes, and there's no way to see when it stops giving you iframes without looking at a table on the internet.

>A stat like that shouldn't be, especially since the two games before it didn't have that.
This, fuck change. It's why DaS3 being DaS1.5 is fucking perfect and makes it the best game ever made.

>stat called adaptability
>proves casuals inability to adapt
DS2 was based

Attached: ufkmepte1ru01.jpg (1024x1024, 54K)

Actual fucking retard.
Actual shitposting retard.
This too. It never once tells you it, either. You have to find out online.
DS2 apologists are retarded and are so smooth brained they're literally incapable of not being utterly stupid

Literally the only thing you need to know is that the sewer area that connects to the hub has a pull switch at the end that opens a door to the next area. Myself and like five other people I know fucked around for like an hour looking for the next area because the switch just looks like a normal part of the environment.

>this much seething
Back to hallway rolls 3

>proves casuals inability to adapt
It’s resistance 2.0, except this time you actually level it. Game throws enough souls at you to level/dumpstat it comfortably.
Also increases the estus drinking speed.

Cringe.
When they remaster 2 and make Miyazaki 'direct' it, every single one of you will praise it.

Also OP, bring a torch out when you make it to the base of a turning windmill.

not an argument

Miyazaki didn't direct it so you should only play 1 and 3.
Never play Demon's either, though. Like 2, it's full of artificial difficulty.

not an argument

>Never play Demon's either, though. Like 2, it's full of artificial difficulty.
This. 1 and 3 are the only good FromSoft games.

Boy, I sure can't defend myself against this purely imaginary scenario where I do something stupid. You got me.

the worst of all souls games by far
>enemy placement all over the place, one castle has about 15 knights with you in line of sight once you enter the room
>dedicated rolling attribute
>absolut shit tier graphics and textures with many areas looking worse than ds1 somehow
>longest souls game with dlc, but feels more like torture than fun

I really wanted to like it, but besides offhand-moveset, this game did nothing right when compared to the other souls titles.

>not an argument
And here we see the DS2 hating tranny revert back to his npc form by spouting the same memes over and over again

Attached: 6e4.png (644x800, 14K)

Why can't Ds2fags just accept everyone hated their terrible game?

>ADP BAD

Attached: 1561166532909.png (212x238, 7K)

Yea Forums hated DS2 before the game even released, the hate since then has only grown stronger. So yes, Yea Forums is a tranny infested hellhole, deal with it.

>Why can't Ds2fags just accept everyone hated their terrible game?

because it was their first souls. ds2 brought the normies to the series through heavy marketing and memes.
nobody who started with any souls title besides ds2 thinks it's good.

Magic is actually viable and stamina management is more important than ever.
Pyromancy and dark magic both scale off of INT and FTH now. Pyromancy benefits regardless of which one you dump points into up to the softcap, but dark scales with whichever stat is lower.
ADP and ATN both raise your agility stat. ADP raises it more though so you're better off putting points into it if you don't plan on using spells. At about 105(?) agility you have the equivalent of a DS1 fastroll.
If you equip a weapon in each hand you can use their full 1H moveset instead of being forced to block with your left handed one. Also, if you equip weapons of the same type in each hand and have at least 1.5x the stat requirements of both, you can powerstance them, which lets use moves that swing both at the same time.
Don't pull the lever.

>different weight values/roll speeds GOOD
They nailed it in DS1 with fast/medium/heavy weights, ADP is just weird and boring.

>remaster
>sotfs
I wouldn't complain but I doubt they will do that

Doing my first run right now too. Marathoning the series I picked up on sale. Ds1 was way harder imo, though I'm also aware much of that has to do with it being my first. Either way, nothing in 2 has been as annoying as the tomb of the giants, as of yet anyways.

Also my adp is currently sitting a 9, nothing sure what the hell everyone is complain about. If anything, it sounds like boosting just turns on easy mode.

Test

I started with DaS1 and I really like DaS2.

Attached: 1562433808112.png (1096x2903, 155K)

ADP or ATT since ATT also increases Iframes.

>If anything, it sounds like boosting just turns on easy mode.
If people are having issues with dodging and DS2’s stiffer animations they can level it up and see if that helps; sometimes there is no helping though, and DS2 allows plenty of easy respecs to undo the dump.

Attached: 1D2D2D47-7B43-4C40-A83F-72FBD078B334.jpg (1667x820, 258K)

Remember when III made luck good but then nerfed it into being fucking Resistance 3.0?

I didn’t dick around with it enough for that. I always prefer just going barebones with STR or a melee weapon.
That sounds like dicks, though.

be sure to install the mod that makes the controls actually work

Attached: 1555872683769.webm (800x450, 2.94M)

Luck would increase poison and bleed effects, so luck builds were viable. They then nerfed it. Luck is still viable but only with Anri's sword, the hollow infusion was raped.

>dick around with mouse and keyboard for the first time
>that fucking input delay on the mousebuttons
What in the fuck this is retardly insane, especially since idiots will try the game out not realizing that thinking “GEEZE it IS as sluggish and shitty as everyone thinks”.

>this is a meme, right? I just beat my first playthough ever with 10 ADP and had no issues.
Two things: a lot of classes start with as low as 3 Adaptability. This means they only have 5 iframes per roll, which is .1667 seconds of invincibility per roll. This wouldn't be a problem if Dark Souls 2 wasn't loaded with MEATY attacks and huge damage windows. Even the slightest bit of investment can double those iframes. Attunement also raises Agility, which is what dictates i-frames and item consumption speed. If you played a spellcaster or anyone with high attunement, you'd get some spare change i-frames as a side effect of being a spellcaster.

Well fuck me I knew something was wrong with the movement but didn't realize it was that bad.

Still waiting on a single defense of the game, NPC posting newfag.
Not
an
argument

Look up what "agility" and "power stancing" are, those are the two most important things you need to have fun in DaS2.

>waaaahh ds2 is too hard i need my half second of invincibility to win
like clockwork you ds1 shitters just out yourself as incompetant retards deflecting your shortcomings as the game's fault everytime

you can circle strafe, space attacks, learn to parry, or just go ham into enemies if you know what you're doing which you clearly don't because you're obsessed

Attached: 1395888729311.png (517x769, 133K)

>just do xyz lol
Actual retard who hasn't played DS2. If you had played it, you'd know that's total shit.

do you have one for bloodborne?

>people offering tips to enjoy ds2
>then there’s this asshole
All because people are leveling up a dumpstat?

Attached: ds2.png (530x330, 178K)

Any build you can think of is viable if you have the right equips.
Experiment with every weapon you find.

The problem with these it is leaves out the most important part: The size and content of those areas.
The areas in DS3 are huge. It's a more linear game, absolutely, but places are extremely large, with some stuff to do sprinkled in.
DS2 has tons and tons of areas, but many are they're relatively small, and most are just empty. And it's a not a very honest list, including the memories, which are literal singular hallways. The areas it does *right* are fantastic. But that's limited to, off the top of my head, two or three areas.
DS1 had both expansive and small areas, but both were packed with shit to do or explore.

The other problem is how they present themselves. Dark Souls is a sad, lonely place, and each area presents itself as that, but with a spin on it. Anor Londo is a magnificent castle surrounded by a city, but it's visibly dying and empty. And, once you kill Gwyndolin, even the light itself stops.
Dark Souls 3 was a *dead* world. Everywhere was dead, everything decrepit, and in many areas, the ashes of the world itself was raining. Villages had been reduced to just shanty towns on the rubble of what once was a kingdom. And once you get further in the game, you get to see the sun itself dying as you explore a ruined kingdom.

But, with Dark Souls 2, it couldn't keep a theme. It couldn't keep up an atmosphere. Majula starts strong, with the music and the view. But the rest of the game is a constant flip flop. Drangleic castle is in essentially perfect condition, but around the corner are ruins. For example, you go from Sinner's Rise, a fort or castle in disrepair, to a spooky forest, to a poison field, into a windmill, and then ride an elevator, that's at the top of the windmill, up into a massive lava landscape. And better yet, that lava landscape leads to another elevator that takes you to massive towers in the sky. Just look up a full map of the game, it's an absolute mess.

tl;dr Dark Souls 2 was a disappointment.

Attached: 72885470_p0.jpg (480x679, 282K)

But by that logic everyone should love DS2 as it would of garnered the largest player-base as well as honing these newer players skills so that they'd find DS3 and DS1 to be baby-tier difficulty wise.

yes, correct moves and proper execution is how you win instead of crying like a ds1 bitch coping in ds2 hate/hugbox threads

because tons of retards think you absolutely need to invest into adp and dodging to get through this game when all it does is make it even easier

t. haven't played ds2

Don't play a pure faith build in Scholar of the First sin. They nerfed lightning spear so bad its basically useless

t. no argument esl shitter

My argument is that it's a bad game, and "just get gud" doesn't change the fact it's still bad.

>dont level this stat up
>it makes the game easier
That’s the most retarded advice you can give anyone ever, especially people trying to get into this game.

Man I’ve beat multiple ng+ runs and always have fun. I might be a pleb.

In the start didn't you dive into a portal or something to get to drangleic?
I thought the place wasn't really supposed to make sense.

Though developer laziness is fair enough.
Have no clue where I'm going to wind up so far in terms of location so it does seem to world was just slapped together.

You haven't played Sekiro if you think it's a "hallway". It has wider levels than Soulsborne and the world design is comparable to DaS1.

pretty much this

Get a greatsword and light armor even though it doesn't do jack.

There's a difference between being a fantasy world that doesn't have rules, and being jarring and difficult to explore. Especially since, again, many areas geographically overlap each other.

its not hard its just bad but hey enjoy it

Attached: 96fd4Eb86.png (775x751, 387K)

It`s the dark souls with most content.
Go crazy, honestly, there's a fuckton of options for builds and some very unique and actually interesting weapons. People who talk shit about d2 are just salty crybabies.
-The blacksmith hammer you get in the Bastille can carry you through the entire game.
-Level ADP, it increases your "speed", which increases iframes and speeds up some animations.
-Miracles are fun but nerfed to the ground
-Hex is op
-Pyromancy doesn't do shit on the dlcs
-You can upgrade armors just like in ds1 but that's not really a necessity.
-Enemies stop spawning if you kill them 12(?) times. There is a covenant that you can join (and leave whenever you want) that makes the game behave as if it was on a ng+ cycle, while you're in it, enemies don't stop spawning after being killed many times.

>most content
>lists a bunch of shit in the other games

Are you actually fucking retarded? Not only is some of that shit not even in the other games, he's not even listing content in DS2, he's answering the OP. Jesus you are dumb as fuck.

what matters is that you don't have

Literally all of that except the shitty enemy despawn system is in the other games. When he talks about them after saying it has the most content, those are what he's talking about, dumbfuck. Either that or he's a retard who can't formulate a proper post

I think you're a retard who can't read a proper post because nowhere does he imply that he's listing things that are only in DS2. You actually need to reevaluate your ability to comprehend human language.

Brain damage or ESL?

Attached: 1555413053527.jpg (600x600, 101K)

In this thread we list things Dark Souls 2 did that were far better than Dark Souls 3. I'll start:

>No bonfire and no death challenge where you can beat the game without resting at a bonfire or dying to gain a reward and bragging rights

>Non-linear first half of the game allows you to rush straight to the areas of the game that contain the items for your build

>Chugging Estus immobilizes you, and the heal isn't instantaneous meaning trying to chug while someone is sticking close to you will result in death

>Stamina regeneration is tied to weight, so a character at 10% burden will recover their bar faster than a character at 70% burden, giving an advantage and a reason to make a low burden character

>Poise exists and armor provides relevant, but not overpowering damage reduction, giving an advantage and a reason to make a high burden character

>Phantoms and Dark Spirits cannot chug estus, spirits can only heal via spell useage which is slow. This makes fighting outnumbered even without mob assistance possible since any damage you do sticks

>Can only perform four rolls before running out of stamina

>Can only perform 5 attacks of a rapier or straight sword before running out of stamina

>Parrying has longer recovery frames and consumes more stamina, making parry fishing riskier and makes parrying require higher skill

>Power stance allowing for unique combinations of dual wielding and unlocking an alternative moveset for weapons

>Being able to use the full moveset of a weapon in your off-hand including running, rolling, backstepping, etc. attacks rather than just being able to do a basic R1 swing and blocking with the weapon as it is in Ds3 (lmao who would ever want to weapon block)

>Bell Tower covenant providing two unique optional areas to PvP for Titanite Chunks, Slabs, and Twinkling, making farming for upgrades fun

>Bonfire ascetics to replay bosses you like and or gain items from NG+ and beyond without grinding through the whole game again

Attached: ds3 is shit 5.webm (1280x720, 2.29M)

>It`s the dark souls with most content
I mean this is not a positive when most of it is shit and the dlc is the worst offense, dunno why people call it good when it's more of the same shit base DaS2 has

>with the most content
>lists a bunch of content
>but he didn't mean THAT content
Actually stupid as all fuck

The best part is he didn't even list "content", you are actually the dumbest person in this thread and there are a LOT of retards here.

he literally did
Stuff in the game is content. you're actually brain dead.

2>1>3

DS2 is a casual filter when it comes to souls games and most of Yea Forums got filtered HARD

Attached: 1550365242274.jpg (1200x675, 98K)

I beat every boss in DS2, but I'm not a contrarian so I'm able to admit it's a dogshit game.

hold onto your branches of yore, don't use them carelessly.

Remember her name.

Game is pretty easy. I fucked all the bosses all the way to the tiger with a lvl 39k character with only 4ADP.

Pretty much my thoughts. I was super disappointed at how linear DS3 was but (most) of the areas were huge and had a ton of going for them. Except Farron's Keep though, fuck that place.

I was reading the thread after posting my reply to OP
You see, I didn't list the fuckton of content. The number of weapons, spells, bosses and areas is the content. You could add to it the different powerstancing options, which is a whole fucking lot.
Go lvl INT.
I can agree that the poison DLC is cancer, but Brume tower was one of the most challenging DS experiences I had overall (Blue smelter, Sir Alonne and Fume Knight being all bosses that made it worth to go after just for the challenge.) , and while I don't find crown of the ivory king very entertaining, it adds some interesting weapons and armors and the bosses are challenging.
Shit, now I'm having ice reindeer ptsd.
All this hate for dark souls 2 is very retarded. On the multiplayer note:
-The pvp in it is still quite good (they will complain about the meta or some shit, but all ds games are plagued with it).
-You have a small soapstone that you can use to coop as a shade, it is a timed coop, so you can help just with clearing some areas and get back to human form, it also awards you a small smooth and silky stone to trade with the crows (who aren't in a shitty out of the way place and actually supply you with useful stuff)
-There is a ton of summonable npcs, most useless, but I find them charismatic. (Sellsword Luet is fantastic)
-The covenants are quite shitty, desu, rat covenant is alright, sunbros suffer because miracles are weak, bell tower is fun low lvl pvp, dragons are ok and don't look like anorexic reindeers.
The two major flaws imo are the blue and red covenant.
Blue sentinels are a great idea executed poorly, their best iteration was on 3 because people could switch covenant on the fly, making being summonable possible (still not as often as it should), wrath of the gods is locked behind their 2nd rank.
Blood brothers, don't get an uncracked red eye orb.
Those two covenants depend on an internal pvp arena system that sucks ass

GS is Apparently baby mode OP weapon.

Also lots of fun. Can kill bosses in like 4-5 hits.