This is the best Final Fantasy game to date, prove me wrong

This is the best Final Fantasy game to date, prove me wrong.

Attached: H2x1_NSwitch_FinalFantasyXIITheZodiacAge_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 398K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6oHoDwc4teA
youtube.com/watch?v=rQNWafc6_9k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

that's not ffxiii tho

quality bait

It's hard to argue what is the best FF game but XII is easily the last good FF game.

I can't. The story world, combat and strategy are a cut above the rest of the series

No, but it's pretty up there and by far the last good one, also best PS2 game.

12 is the last game that isnt absolute dogshit but no, 12 was not a good game. FF lost its soul in the transition from PS1 to PS2.

I am aware that 12 has some issues but 13 and 15 had a lot more issues

it's one of the worst

Great gameplay
(half of a) Great story
Great world
Great characters (except Vann and Penelo)

Definitely a great FF game.

Now watch as XIV faggots flood this thread

Attached: Annotation 2019-06-16 120657.png (1282x411, 208K)

>great characters
I havent played in a while but i remember thinking Basch and Grabranth were cool as hell

>IV and X
>better than IX or VIII

zodiac age is kino its miles better then 13 and 15

Balthier is the mainline series best male protagonist.

Yes and yes.
VIII has tons of issues.
IX is just a boring game with bad gameplay.

only problem was the license system and zodiac age fixed that problem

>Single player MMO

>XV
>Better than most games
Hahahahahaha

Haha, nah.

How much does Zodiac Age really improve it? I thought it was basically the worst of the good FF games, but a friend said the ZA changes catapulted the game to his favorite.

Yeah it is.
Did you play it?

XII has my favorite art direction and presentation of any JRPG but I just can't get into the gameplay.
I just got to Bur-Omisace and literally the entire game has been gambit spamming attack and cure with the occasional manual item thrown in.

not him but 15 had a lot of issues.

One of the biggest ones, was the fucking combat. For an action RPG, the combating being Casual Pandering Hold O to win shit was disgusting when Type 0 had better combat and was made by the same (fired) director

Zodiac Age is too easy, just for that I would put IZJS (patched PS2 ISO) > Zodiac Age > Vanilla

I am legit forcing myself to finish this game at this very moment. It's so fucking boring, holy shit. The story is trash, the characters are trash with bad acting (with the SOLE exception of Bal, and Fran has sexy VA, but is not acted well), the combat is so bad they added a fast forward function to this remake. If not for the fast forward, I would've quit. If you're doing it right you don't have to play the game. My last fight, against some green dragon that does like 3 status effects to everyone over and over again, I made no button presses myself. I watched my team beat him while I ate cereal.

The job board *seems* fun, but then you realize you're "unlocking" gear that you can just wear in any other game (as getting to where it drops or is sold is unlocking on its own), magic and phys damage nodes that would just come naturally in another game, and HP nodes. There's really no choice involved since you max both out pretty quickly. With quickenings you just don't pick the one that gives you nothing; that's it.

The judges are fucking cool and are CRIMINALLY underutilized. How did FF NINE have big screens that felt alive and part of somewhere bigger, while the entry THREE installments later has weird floating tiny map segments that all feel disjointed. You feel like you're in some early PSO map, not a real word.

The music is good. The re-orchestration was done very well and adds a lot to the game.
>hurr durr story too complicated brainlet u just don get it etc etc etc
I said boring, not complicated. That's a retarded defense. BOTH other games set in Ivalice had far more involved plots AND were not boring as hell.

Attached: ZZZZZZZZZ.jpg (2560x1440, 648K)

How could i forget about the leading man

the only people who legit like 12 and think it's among the "best" are literally brain damaged contrarians.

Sure, but how can you say that in a thread of a game that literally plays itself if you're doing it right?

Gambits are optional.

>core mechanic in game is optional
based retard. Yeah, sure, in the same way wearing armor or weapons is optional.

But I agree with you, OP. It's my favorite and I've played every single version of 12 and also beaten every FF except 3, 8, 11, 14

Yep, and it was total balls. Worse than 13.

Barry....

You never played the game if you think gambits are a core mechanic.

Do you have a problem with FF IV, you nigger?

Attached: 1549567422517.jpg (810x722, 71K)

I already have this on PS4 but considering getting it on Switch. Is the port good and does it play well in handheld mode? Is the respec option worth it?

Attached: FFXII_International_artwork.jpg (1128x1199, 99K)

>this feature that is legitimately one of the core systems in the game with shops selling gambits even is not a core system of the game because I'm trying to deflect a point
>y.y..y..you didn't p..play the g.g...game
absolute drooling retard. I guess that's the sort of person this game attracts to champion it.

Attached: retard.jpg (1183x309, 61K)

Fast forward was in the PS2 International edition.

no, because the game is very easy so it's not really an issue if you didn't ultra metagame it.

People only like to talk about optimal jobs because it's fun, not that you need to. I am using a red mage/BLM and a machinist/knight because I give no fucks about optimal and the game is still piss easy.

How is the combat on this game? Turn base, ATB, real time?

FF12 is genuinely one of those games I can get lost in with how comfy it is
I fucking love this game

Well, it was a good call either way. I'm not really having fun but this and 13 are the only two I've never beaten so I'm trying to truck on through.

I would've much rather had a Vagrant Story 2 than this game.

>Yeah, sure, in the same way wearing armor or weapons is optional.

.... No. It isn't an action game where you have player controlled damaged mitigation through movement. If there was then armor pieces would be considered optional but you need stats in the game to do damage

Gambits are actually optional because you can do everything manually that gambits would do for you. You have all the menus available for you in combat. Gambits are there for people that like pre planning and don't like intense micro managing or for people who just can't keep track of everything

This game isn't awful like some people say, but it's not "the best" like retarded posers here say, either.

It's okay. Worth playing, but not among most people's top FF games for a reason. I'd buy it if you haven't played it.

real time but you have the option to basically give everyone an AI of your choosing with gambits
it's not among most peoples' top FFs because they're dumb nerds, user

>if you don't like it you're dumb
yeah despite the story being really simple compared to FFT, which is set in the same world and everyone tends to love, amirite? The story is Star Wars. The game is easy. You don't need to be "oh so intelligent" to get the game, dipshit.

you might need to be a little smarter to realize the game is one of the most fun JRPGs out there

>14 in bottom tier when shadowbringers is being universally praised

I'M CAPTAIN BASCH

in better than most games
in bottom tier
What garbage fucking taste holy shot. Get a different hobby because obviously videogames aren't for you

MMO's are not video games

>no actually rebuttal or point
yeah, it's the same every time with FF12 fags, just like this retard said
Like I said. Game is just "okay".

remove Vaan and it's better.
However, FF5 is the best FF to date.

>implying I care what garbage MMO trannies are currently championing

What did he mean by this?

It's strongest feature is ironically its biggest weakness.The gambit system allows you to pretty much bot the entire game.

It's totally unfinished. Characters are almost abandoned. 2 hour dungeons for 1 min dialogues.
Most combat oriented that fucking ff 1.
Endless grind and backtracking.
Chest drops with abysmal % for important gear.
Single player mmo.
So slow they added an inbuilt hi-speed mode. X4 speed and the game is still a slow grind.
X was the last decent ff

There is nothing FF1 does better than games like FF5 and FF3 do. As it stands now it is the most useless game in the franchise

While FF15 is not very good, there's so much crap games in the FF series (1,2,3,spinoffs,MMOs,8) that I would agree and probably put it as better than most

Think about it like this.

Shadowbringers can be the greatest piece of video game material in history but it will never be worth 200 hours of fetch quests and shitty MSQ dungeons that is objectively necessary to get there because it's an MMO

>half of team is bad characters
>we want the mmo audience
>ai team
>zzzz story
>see name

I really hated 12. Didn't like how explicit the Star Wars homages were. The characters are almost all trash. The main character especially. The whole scale of the plot is pretty cool, but I couldn't tolerate the shit combat to get through it.

12 is not a very good game.

Not even the best FF12 game, let alone in the entire FF series

youtu.be/6oHoDwc4teA

were you born without taste

Final Fantasy 12 and 13 are tied for best final fantasy game of all time. No I am not a zoomer. Yes I have beaten every installment including tactics crystal Chronicles world of etc.

Attached: c5e4836bebc5482198ca92f7046ea337--final-fantasy-xii-dark-skin.jpg (235x354, 13K)

Or you could pay to catch up so you can play with all of your friends, and new friends you haven't played with yet, in Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringersâ„¢! Can't wait to see you in Eorzea/The First, Adventurer!

>No I am not a zoomer
just a contrarian. got it.

12 I can understand but 13?

Imagine falling for that obvious bait

Gambits are the most intellectual combat system. Paradigms are the most intellectual AND challenging combat system. 13 was so fast paced it was beautiful and I wish they kept it instead of going with kingdom hearts gameplay in 15.

The paradigm system is peak ff combat. Watch a speedrun to see how you can eliminate cooldown times by switching paradigms at the correct moment, every paradigm instantly becomes a tool you have at your disposal like switching weapons in devil may cry mid-combo

>Gambits are the most intellectual combat system
yes
>Paradigms are the most intellectual AND challenging combat system.
no
don't make me reply again

The port is fantastic and runs fine on handheld, the definitive version if you ask me because of the exclusive content (New Game+ and unrestricted Job Reset system). Playing it portable is a joy.

>more gameplay than cutscenes is now a bad thing
holy crap, you guys never cease to amaze me

Which is amazing. Watching your characters obey your setup flawlessly and endure in toughest battles is so damn rewarding. I wish every RPG allowed a minimum degree of friendly AI customization.

On a casual level paradigms can be confusing and "why do I have to do this, why don't I just always have access to all my characters skills," but if you get good you know exactly when you want 2 ravs and a syn, 2 coms and a med, a syn/sab/med, etc. Stagger meters are great, and when you have a hold on everything going on at once, like I said earlier it is comparable to when you have a hold on devil may cry combat and knowing what weapon you want to switch to when the enemy is in midair, staggered, etc.

Literally fell asleep playing it

Got this the other day, very happy about it. Found a sealed collectors edition guide they stopped producing for $40 in a nearby town's bookstore. I can't find it online anywhere except Amazon for $150+.

Attached: 20190705_150311.jpg (3264x2448, 1.98M)

Rip the characters died. Just kidding they're still alive, its just a prank bro.
Cecil and kain are pretty kino though

I would also say that xv is better than xiii because of the more options, freedom and things to do than xiii. Aside from the art direction which xiii completely destroy xv.

I’VE TRIED TO BEAT THIS GAME MULTIPLE TIMES. First on release, second on ZA PS4. I’m not buying it on Switch just to inevitably put it down once again. The games story just isn’t good or rewarding enough to complete.

Brainlet

>this game is good
>no you're retarded its the worst game ever
>no you're a faggot its the best game ever
Quality discussion Yea Forums.

>Dude what if we made half the playable cast be inconsequential to the story
>Dude what if we made a cast that barely says anything and almost never interacts with each other
>Dude what if we made multiple cutscenes where the main character has no idea what's going on and just stands in the background while people who matter speak
>Dude what if we made a character who's literally just a random girl off the street
>Dude what if we made a villain who has zero emotional connection to the heroes and doesn't even meet them until the last ten minutes
>Dude what if we took Final Fantasy Tactics' setting and made it a poor man's Star Wars
>Dude what if we gave the narrator a comical Apu accent
>Dude what if we made a political plot and then ruined it by turning it into standard ancient god shenanigans
>Dude what if we made a plot where the heroes have almost no impact on what happens until 95% of the way through the story and spend their time traipsing through non-descript caves and ruins
>Dude what if I'm Captain Basch
>Dude what if we took everything 100% seriously and had zero levity
>Dude what if we wrote all of the dialogue to sound like a Renaissance Fair
>Dude what if we we had no overworld and all travel was handled by a menu or floating teleport crystals
>Dude what if we made a battle system where you set everything up in advance so that you don't actually play the game
>Dude what if we made summons useless except for opening doors
>Dude what if instead of fun side quests we had only fetch/kill quests like in some generic MMO
>Dude what if instead of having fun side games like the motorcycle chase and Triple Triad we had nothing
>Dude what if we had really shitty music

Attached: Penelo_XII.png (350x387, 147K)

I won't, just listen to this
youtube.com/watch?v=rQNWafc6_9k

he's at it again, the yoikes are strong in this one

Why do people like to pretend that FFX wasn’t the best on this board?

Because it's a really long tedious hallway of a game with shitty characters. Only women think it's the best.

>Maybe if I meme I can just ignore all his valid criticism!

because it's not

It’s not

Alright so I think X is the best. Maybe it’s just nostalgia. If you were somehow able to play all FF’s back to back, consecutively, right here, right now, on this hour which would you hold the best by todays standards?

FUCK why do i have to set up gambits and adjust them according to the circumstance instead of bashing A through every fight wtf fuck this gay ass video game.

>Because it's a really long tedious hallway of a game with shitty characters. Only women think it's the best.
He's asking X is 10. You're thinking of FXIII which is 13

I played it for the first time 3 years ago after already playing through FF13. FFX still holds up really well. The charm and the atmosphere of the setting is just great. Spira is just way more captivating then Cocoon and Pulse were

>start playing FFXII
>opens up with a 20 hour CGI snoozefest
>follows it up with some narration about the most generic and boring muh empire shit possible
>then throws in some more narration
>11 and a half minutes until you actually get to control your character

Attached: goose.jpg (433x427, 86K)

List of main FF games that are actually good
6, 7, 10, 15

1-5 have aged like dog shit
8 might be redeemed with the remaster but probably not
9 is slow as hell in every sense
12 is gay
13 is ruined by its tutorial

>11 and a half minutes until you actually get to control your character
That's nothing. I tried playing FXIII again and you don't even get to use the Paradigm system, the literal combat system of the entire game, until 2-3 hours in.

Actually, I was really thinking of FFX, the game were it all went wrong. Not FFXIII, the game where the franchise merely continued to be bad.

Was thinking about getting X HD on the switch. Heard mixed things about the remaster, is it bad enough I should avoid it?

>5 has aged like dog shit
5 HAS AGED LIKE DOG SHIT
5 H A S A G E D L I K E D O G S H I I
say it again

FFT

X is the last Final Fantasy where the world/worldbuilding is unique and cool. Every other one after it is either derivative(FXII) or fumbles the execution of what could be an interesting world(FXIII/FXV)

I mean, there aren't very many good FF games to begin with.
Okay now you're pushing it. There is a ton of much better games on the ps2 and anything FF doesn't even approach what can be considered "the best" on that.

Attached: 1532226658807.jpg (750x1334, 192K)

>VIII has tons of issues.

Junction is a pleb filter, the game is one of the best on all fronts.

>Maybe if I ignore all the debunking to my criticism pointing out a majority of it is invalid or wrong, I can be right!

Playing through it on switch right now
Just got to the part after Giruvegan and I gotta say the whole experience took a free fall in quality after archades
the dungeon "puzzles" are stupid
the hunts are tedious even if some of them can be fun
the license system is still dumb and unbalanced
I try to like the plot but its so fucking dry
I still think its a fun comfy game but many aspects of it have aged pretty poorly.
Xenoblade Chronicles beats XII in every aspect

I get it, you're a creepy waifufag who rates fanservice above all other aspects of a game, fuck off.

I don't understand how they could add doubleclassing but leave enemy values untouched. Zodiac Age lets the player have six tanky melee casters with nearly maxed out stats but yeah lets leave the bosses as they were in 2006.

I think the difficulty is finally perfect.

The game has no writing after Bur-Omisace. You're running through a bunch of half-finished setpieces with no cutscenes from that point onwards.

How am I supposed to care about the world building when the world is one big long hallway? At least XII still had proper exploration, dungeon crawling, PHAT LOOT and treasure hunting, party building,FUCKING TOWNS!, and secret/endgame content that wasn't dodging 1000 lightning bolts in a section of the hallway you visited halfway through the game and had no other reason to return too other than that stupid horseshit.

Attached: 164-1646809_final-fantasy-v-home-and-alien-worlds-overlapped.png.jpg (820x809, 399K)

t. Never played a final fantasy

What claim does Gerun have on History's reins, seated in throne immortal, rent from time?
>t. he doesn't see the prometheus analogy

You're killing main story bosses in like three hits dude. You're oneshotting all the enemies in the ultimate super bonus dungeons and killing the superbosses in under one minute each.

>one big long hallway
Because you're going a specific pilgrimage. The point is that world is detailed because it's not some empty open space.

I platinum'd the Zodiac Age version because I could speed it up. Walking all that shit in normal time would have been too much for me, I have too many other games to play to waste time on nothing but walking but 4x speed made it alright.

>ou're killing main story bosses in like three hits dude.
No I'm not. Did you play zodiac age or are you another one of those faggots infesting Yea Forums who develops an opinion entirely off of second-hand information?

Hello, I'm the real Final Fantasy XIII.

Attached: 68624_front.jpg (640x903, 92K)

>I platinum'd the Zodiac Age version because I could speed it up.
You're pretty brave. I can't be assed to do the 100 battles in a row thing even if I was paid. That shit's fucking annoying. I only did it a few times to grab some ribbons and the wyrmhero blade and then never touched it again.

>This great game is stuck on the 360, the worst console ever.

Attached: 1533863073680.gif (455x500, 443K)

No I mean all the areas after Bur-Omisace haven't been finished and are missing cutscenes, unique gameplay events, general content and who knows what else.

This made me laugh pretty damn hard and I actually remember liking the game a lot

Attached: ffxiv_twi03005.png (128x128, 19K)

dude, boss rush is broken as hell if you steal from certain enemies in it.
free Ribbons, Tournesols, Excaliburs...
Venat carries this shit without problem
SHE DID NOTHING WRONG AND HUMES SHOULD THANK HER FOR LIBERATING THEM FROM THE OCCURIA.
literally gnosticism in a final fantasy package

this was the last good final fantasy

that cover art is so awesome

>Dude what if we made it so this animation stops your movement and plays a million times during your play through all because we think it looks cool when they pull out or put away their weapons

I just wanted MORE of the game, man. I like it, but I know it could've been even better.

>Venat carries this shit without problem
Venat was the hero FF12 needed.
Although one could argue what Venat did kinda wiped out every single race except humans and set their technology back centuries, based on FFT... although I don't like to connect the two games because it seems like a half-assed way to connect games that were developed without any intention of continuity whatsoever.

I have played the game for more than a thousand hours.

It really feels more like a tour through Disney Land. Why should I enjoy the story anyways if it means a total reduction in gameplay elements? At the very least if it was a pilgrimage, they should have put an epic huge final dungeon as the Pilgrimage's goal, not some sad sap cutscenes.

no user it's implied it was done by the ff12 party

>You're pretty brave. I can't be assed to do the 100 battles in a row thing even if I was paid
It's actually worth it by a lot if you care about platimum because the version of Yiazmat you fight there has way less HP and dies a lot quicker. He still deals the same damage so you have to be as high level as you would have to be for the normal one. And you also fight the omega thing there and that also counts as if you killed it in the main game. Saves time

Actually you can play this on Xbone with new and improved performance, it's seriously tempted me into buying one or at least borrowing one. But alas, none of my frineds have one.

The sheathing/unsheathing animations pissed me the fuck off. I mean, there's no reason why you need to stop in place to take a weapon out or put it away. Keep those legs moving.
Funny, I don't think I've ever killed a boss that fast.
I heard that the Yiazmat no longer has 51 HP bars. I killed it on ps2 and was happy to hear he's no longer a pain in the ass, but I've cleared out like 90% of the main game content and I think I'm happy with that as it is.

I can't, I won't, it is.

Hey guys i originally played this on 360 about 10 years ago or whatever.... When i loaded my save on the one X, i had no idea where i was. I was in some village maybe about to go to a cave somewhere. Really no idea. My save says 15 hours. Should i restart or should i read a walkthrough up to the point I'm at?

I'd say restart at that point.

Yiaz still has 51M HP in the story
but you are able to have almost 3x the DPS you could in Vanilla

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I don't remember any specifics, but do remember enjoying it.

>worst story that is only half done
>worst art style
>1/3 of the game is desert
>the game is pretty much Star Wars: A Final Fantasy Story
>took them 3 tries to finally make summons not completely useless
Yeah, no.

>total reduction in gameplay elements
I don't consider wandering around empty landscape doing fetchquests in a single player mmo to be fun

I sold my xbox360 when I went to college years ago so I don't remember much other than playing it twice, thoroughly enjoying it and crying at a few of the short stories. Have fun.

>>took them 3 tries to finally make summons not completely useless
I liked summons in X but I couldn't stand Yuna being the only one to get EXP or whatever so I rarely used them until endgame.

>XV better than most games
>IX not top tier
>I and III bottom tier
>Calling XIV dogshit when Shadowbringers was the best FF since IX
Utterly disgusting

Attached: 1562377113219.png (908x763, 1.31M)

>Only 36 hours
As that user said you never even played the game properly

oh, okay cool, so when in the next 20 hours in this 60 hour game does the combat focus pivot to something else?
>hurr durr jus dun use it uurrr urrrrrr
You still haven't said "why" this obviously core feature to the game is NOT a core feature. I'm waiting.
>duuuh materia is not a core feature of FF7 because you don't HAVE to use them!

>just play the game for 40 hours bro then it gets good
lol

It literally changes nothing because you load ATB actions as soon as the sheathing animation starts

So was Vaan the main character?

a little bit, yeah

ff12 is shit along with 2, 13 (excluding the goddess Lightning) and 14

The game felt like it was supposed to go to Rozaria in the second half

The main story is very short and if you just go from cutscene to cutscene it can be completed by level 30-40

This is basically what much of the fanbase said for a few years following the game's initial release. I think the praise you hear now is a mixture of nostalgia and every game that's come out since then (single player anyway) is even worse. I replayed FF X for the first time in a long time last year and my opinion improved on it. I still don't think it's great exactly, but it's nice in ways. XII still bores me to tears though.

>Another judge gets killed in a cutscene that has nothing to do with my party
t...thanks...

I have an Xbox One and the game but haven't given it a new try. I'm probably going to soon with a guide so I can finish the 1000gs. Great game.

At least 360 got an actually good jrpg in retrospective. That cover looks awesome

>the only way to fight them all is in the boss rush mode
>they're the last ones you fight
>you can steal absolutely broken shit from them
fucking hell

Every time I say that I upset someone who's convinced that the entire game is a political masterpiece.

C'mon now, go on

>>>vg

thanks.

Attached: 1489120753670.gif (500x373, 320K)

Infinity Undiscovery and Blue Dragoon cool too.

I played Blue Dragon but it felt half assed