Valkyria Chronicles as a series is such a huge case of wasted potential

Valkyria Chronicles as a series is such a huge case of wasted potential.

Attached: 1548007736291.jpg (1610x2005, 1.76M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZMTo45-gO5o
youtube.com/watch?v=XlHZrBUimuY
youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0
youtube.com/watch?v=_7k-DhDyMb8
youtube.com/watch?v=HNSOBDw4IRY
youtube.com/watch?v=C1zxij1pLpM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm playing the first one and the story is the most predictable, boring anime plot ever. Characters and writing feels like they were written by 12 year old. Shame, since the gameplay is really fun. I will probably still force myself to beat it.

Yeah, it started off as a pretty decent setting with interesting enough characters and gameplay.
New one suffers from pandering to modern otaku and the character designs were ass.

This bitch has Marfan Syndrome.

>killed off the poster chick in the first game
WHAT WERE THEY THINKING

>first one
unfortunately its all downhill

>pretty decent setting
Exactly, I really like the setting, so my initial impression was really good, but the story is so pretentious, anime and predictable that I can't enjoy it at all, the game makes the reveal that Alicia is a Valkyrie look like a big surprise, but you could deduce that from their first temple visit.
The only characters I enjoyed were Largo and Varrot.
Damn, what a shame, i really like the setting.

Alicia isn't dead, fuckface

user meant Selvaria. Who got so popular they needed to bullshit reasons to have her around in later games

>but the story is so pretentious, anime and predictable that I can't enjoy it at all
If you think the first game is bad about its anime-tier writing, holy shit don't even think about touching the others

How is this series related to Legend of Heroes/Trails in the Sky?

Thanks, I will finish the first one and won't touch the others.
Lmao, they brought her back to life? Or the next games are prequels or some shit?

Prequels iirc

Selvaria gf.

4th one is on par with the 1st one gameplay wise. Plot and story are more subjective.

The 4th one is much better than the first.

Alicia cunny > Selvaria tiddy

Kill yourself

Thanks fuck it's not related.

Not as good as the 3rd though.

FUCK RAITA

>as a series
yeah because the first game is the only one even remotely acceptable

the rest are extremely cringeworthy crap only people like pic related would consider playing. waste of a cool setting

Attached: 1394472906357.jpg (930x618, 369K)

Alicia is too pure to lewd desu

That didnt stop welkin though, now did it?

Just finished 1, 2 is a sequel. 3 is a sidestory, dont know where 4 comes in

>alicia is a valkyria and singlehandedly breaks the enemy army and saves the heroes from an unwinnable bloodbath
>possibly the only thing that could destroy the marmota and she actually punctures the ship's hull
>bu-but that's not true victory! lets never use the power again! I'm sure the people who got blown up/run over by the marmota will agree!
MY FUCKING GOD WHY

I liked the story.

I liked the gameplay in the first one. After completing it I found out you can really abuse the mechanics and scouts can be overpowered as hell. I was too much of a brainlet to figure that out when playing it tho.

I really disliked most of the cutscenes and the menus were shitty and it took ages to navigate them. Aesthetically it was pretty cool I guess and the score was good. Should I bother with any of the other games? I heard the PSP games are full otaku pandering?

Great music

youtube.com/watch?v=ZMTo45-gO5o

>Should I bother with any of the other games
Only if you like fragmented maps due to hardware limitations, butchered art style and way worse anime shi-
>I heard the PSP games are full otaku pandering
oh you already know that part. Well if that's up your alley, then by all means.

Not that guy, but how bad are the PSP games gameplay wise? I know 3 never got an official translation, and 2 is a sequel to a finished story, so it cant be good, but then again, its not like VC1 won any awards for stellar storytelling

4 is definitely worth playing. 3 is too but the fan translation is unfinished and not great. You can try 2 after those ones if you really want more.

Bles RAITA.

Attached: 1549656598564.jpg (1706x1920, 1.35M)

>Alicia
>cunny

underage = cunny

>only complaint is that it is "too anime"
I hate you fucking normalfags

>19
>underage

She's 16 at best, I mean just fucking look at her. They obviously localized to 19 so westacucks wouldn't get their panties in a bunch over underage courtship and marriage

Retard

I think a big problem is the pacing. I liked VC1 a great deal when I first played it, but it's scout spam and very slow paced. VC4 inherited all of VC1's problems as well.

I feel that VC3 demonstrated the best potential path for the series. It was more complex and felt faster. I liked the management aspects as well. The series should bring that back for a proper VC5.

3 > 4 > 1 > 2

Valkyria Revolution is one of the worst games I've ever played.

Shut the fuck up, the pandering and weebness in VC1 is just as bad. The people that parrot this argument haven't played VC1 in forever and romanticize it.

VC4 is not anime enough. Total disappointment.

Nothing is shittier than VC4 in that department, weeaboo

2 is YMMV but 3 and especially 4 are objective improvements

If you like 3 but not 2 I have bad news for you.

Is this Valkyria Chronicles 1 or 4?

Exactly. This fanbase has some of the most fake weebs.

It would be great if it didn't have the credit system

Not waifu pandering enough, imagine if we could have deserted to the empire and become Selvaria boytoy?

Is that the class upgrade thing? That sucked

>New one suffers from pandering to modern otaku and the character designs were ass.

Faux fan detected, likely ResetEra tranny who was offended by VC4 ass slap scene and wouldn't shut up about how degrading and sexist it was. Dig into your tranny hole and fuck off. Character designs were good, you gave yourself away, series should have stayed on Playstation, these "too anime and too weeb" complainte started after VC1 hit PC (rich considering Skyrim and Oblivion mod scene) and it just worse and worse with normalfags and trannies alike pretending VC was XCom or Total War aesthetics+story out of the gate. Watch these fuckfaces latch on to how """problematic"""" New Sakura Wars PS4 is. It can come out on Switch and it'll be finr, but I swear the bulk of the Raita and VC whining and portbegging came from VC1 PC dumbfuck trannies and nornies.

Sega should just give us that VC4 Minerva and Kai optional marriage ending paths as DLF like VC3 PSP to fund a next gen VC5 or series reboot without Selvaria dying. Even the VC1 anime regrets her death wtf SEGA.

Attached: 1552885779511m.jpg (1024x576, 81K)

Unironically have sex.

Fuck off, retard.

He's not wrong. It really felt like Sega didn't go all the way and you could tell they wanted to but held back. Especially with the slice of life stuff with Angie and the Imperial science crew side, for example, no slice of life scenes with the Chiara and Nikola.
There was more that they could have done but it is what it is.

I like all of them. Or at least parts of all of them.

The combat gameplay has the potential to be the most addicting shit possible, but they squander it with unimaginative "hurr rush the camps" missions and basically punish you for doing anything in combat other than blitzing the goal, making 90% of each map not worth exploring.

But you're objectively wrong.

VC3 is actually pretty good in that regard. It's better balanced than VC1, and it has more content and variety. It also has a better plot and cast of characters than VC1. The maps being broken up into zones is unfortunate, but since there tends to be fighting going on in multiple zones the scale doesn't end up feeling that much smaller.

VC2 is quite a bit worse than either VC1 or VC3.

>1 is my favorite in the franchise
>2 and 3 are meh at best
>4 have so much potential but its all wasted
WHY THE FUCK DID THEY USE THE MOST GENERIC AND BLAND GIRL TO BE THE ROMANTIC OPTION? THE OTHER COMMANDER WAS SO MUCH BETTER

>It also has a better plot and cast of characters than VC1.
I can't imagine anyone over the age of 14 unironically thinking this.

Do you think Valkyria Revolution fucked over VC4's overall budget or wiggle room for a quality assurance delay?

Having a better plot and cast than VC1 isn't really much of an achievement. What's remarkable is that VC2 actually managed to be worse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 was enjoyable enough but it has some serious issues about difficulty.
I played the game with just the generic four plus Laurent/Eileen/Curtis and I fucking destroyed the game.
I very distinctly remember VC1 having multiple "fuck you" stages.

Close, but no cigar faggot

3 > 1 > 4 > 2

At least the protagonist had a pair of balls, which is more than I Can say for VC 4's Claude The Bitch Wallace

2 introduced the Fencer/Mauler Class so it's automatically best game.
There is something great about destroying a tank in one swing of a giant hammer and terminator walking straight up to a group of people and nailing them in one swing.
I suspect 3 nerfed and 4 removed them completely because of how hilariously unbalanced they were.

Why wasnt she the romantic option for the MC? she's so much better than generic anime childhood friend .
I'm still mad

Attached: 1486941340760.jpg (509x625, 31K)

>Selveria is the only one with a big fandom out of VC
>They don't find some convoluted way to revive her
Sega you idiots

based and truthpilled minerva.

Attached: 1539322660004m.jpg (417x371, 54K)

>you'll never marry your passive aggressive rival
>instead, your stuck with your childhood friend

Attached: 1542676585025.jpg (494x494, 47K)

Probably not. Valkyria Revolution probably cost peanuts to make considering the character models have Gust and Compile Heart quality. But VR has loads of extra event scenes that were provided free as DLC.

Meanwhile VC4 was sort of more polished and had squad stories on top of extra stories. But it didn't feel as done as VR to me. The Squad Seven DLC for 4 is like one tier above the base game in quality, even if they just reused maps.

They probably had the same amount of budget.
But if Valkyria Revolution had a more positive reception and sold many more units then Sega would have definitely increased the wallet size of the team and 4 would have been even bigger. Also more alternate universe Valkyria games would have come.

What the fuck are you even babbling about? vc is maybe the less weeb jrpg of the bunch, I agree that it is not a deep war story by any means but it has decent moments, like Isara's death or your waifu transforming into a Valkyria.

It's overall less weeb than this :
youtube.com/watch?v=XlHZrBUimuY

Or this abortion :
youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

This is true weeb content, VC is mild compared to that.

2 was an unbalanced mess
>sniper trivialized every human troops, even the mechanoid, as usual
>gunner (is the name right? shocktrooper's specialized class) base defense is retard strong
>the melee classes are literally untouchable

>Sega should just give us that VC4 Minerva and Kai optional marriage ending
>cucking your boy Raz
While I agree for giving Minerva the ol' M2EQ-9D, Raz literally died for your sins. Have some respect and let Kai spinster in peace.

I haven't played VC4, so I can't comment on it. Welkin was a decent enough protagonist, though. Alicia was pretty obnoxious, but I don't have any issues with Welkin.

>childhood friend is best and wins
>salty cucks mad that stupid bitch who gets pissed that Claude didn't save their gay squad gets left out
yeah, like they weren't fighting for their lives too against impossible odds AND didn't get wiped out like the Cuck Crew. Minerva a shit who can't take responsibility for her failures as a CO.

It's great right? Finally a game where Scout Rushing is only mostly optimal.
Gunner was hilarious on defense though. Just sit that bad boy in a camp and watch as they murderfuck anything that comes near them. Their actual attack was fucking terrible though, who thought it was a good idea to shoot their gun in a 180 degree arc?

1 had the problem of "Alicia's Blitzkrieg"
which is definitely not better
2 and 3 fixed that, but then introduced more retarded shit. still fun tho

Attached: 1561909143741.jpg (607x686, 122K)

>Having a better plot and cast than VC1 isn't really much of an achievement.
Which only makes it worse that VC3 couldn't even do that much. VC1 was a corny but charming light war drama. Our unlikely heroes are forced to join the militia when their home is attacked by the bad guys and through good vides and camaraderie they manage to live through the war and they even end up discovering a powerful secret that helps their side turn the tide. It's not particularly well written but it's perfectly serviceable and all of the characters are charming and likeable.

VC3 gives this super secret shadow group of criminal soldier who were totally secretly behind every major event of the war all along, it trades the immediately likeable cast from VC1 for a bunch of annoying assholes and somehow even more generic walking animu stereotypes and while the plot is definitely more ambitious than that of VC1 it's also more ambitious than succesful. If you're not a good enough writer to handle themes of betrayal and redemption, it's better to just not try at all and write a generic "good guys fight bad guys and win" story than to force the audience to sit through some absolutely dreadful attempts at writing a more nuanced story.

Anyone who likes VC3 more than VC1 in that department has to either be genuinely into Shadow the Hedgehog fanfic tier writing or just not care about the quality of the writing as long as it seems "mature" and "dark" on a superficial level.

i like their pray-n-spray tho, at least for some wacky kills out of sheer boredom
>chuck grenades and similar stuffs at the enemies, pushing them around and clumping them up
>spray them down with a gunner
shit was cash. its a shame 4 dialed down the class system back to 1. it makes sense in the canon, but still

>"Alicia's Blitzkrieg"
Double movement is still too fucking OP. You would think Double Action or Double Attack would be the strongest skill in the game but nope, reduced interception fire + Double Movement trivialized VC1 alongside Alicia's Valkyria potential and Awaken All.
VC4 at least partially nerfed Double Movement by making sure no units with it had Resist Crossfire but then we still get Command so you can just use Minerva with all her defense buffs, run into a group and then use the allies she brought with her to murder everyone.

>(rich considering Skyrim and Oblivion mod scene)
This sentence was so stupid my brain reset as I was reading it. My eyes closed, eyebrows raised, and mouth opened in shock. There are truly Yea Forums users THIS fucking stupid in 2019
Holy fucking shit.

I think SEGA understood how strong Gunner was defensively that they knew to delete the class for VC4 with how many other options they gave us.
Though if I had to choose between Gunner and the new Mortar class Riley has, I'd still rather have Gunner. Outside of one meme strat on the final stage, the new class is pretty fucking useless.

Raita a shit

>That one tweet by SEGA's official account listing the VC4 best girls meme
>Kai and Minerva make the cut
>No Riley in sight

Even their own PR ignores boring blonde childhood friend Riley.

Attached: 1539163052689m.jpg (1024x853, 133K)

no u

Attached: 1558035826503.jpg (727x676, 94K)

>the new class is pretty fucking useless
Citation fucking needed. Riley can mass kill groups of infantry from afar, way before any of them can fire back. Elias can stop all vehicles dead in their tracks, wasting their turns trying to move around the map.
My biggest problem with the class is how poorly it synergizes with the other classes. The best class at killing a mortar is an other mortar, which kind of suck.

The plot can't advance past the end of VC1 / VC4 because they basically wrote themselves into a corner

VC2 technically moves the timeline forward but only because they isolated Gallia from the rest of the world during the civil war and refused to even acknowledge anything plot-related in favor of dumb slice of life stuff

Should I get the DLCs for VC4?

From my play time its actually the Lancer that became useless in VC4.
They didn't give Lancers interception fire but they gave Lancers team attacks.
Mortars have interception fire and team attacks.

But the Mortar Lance in 4 is no joke. The AoE has been significantly buffed. Its just that the range is shit and anything that isn't at maxed range will hit the attacking Lancer too.

In theory that sounds great but a Mortar Lancer can achieve similar results and still kill a tank with an anti-Personnel weapon.
Given the game is ultimately about having your units move forward and not dying, I'd take the Lancer's high HP but no counterattacking over the Grenadier's low HP, inaccurate counterattack.

I hope they do an alternate timeline game where Selvaria doesn't get killed, and maybe have the main cast be a group of Imperial rebels.

they should just do a soft-reboot and advance to not-cold war, really
well, if VC2 is not-cold war with all the valkirie arm rush n shit alr

I personally disagree as my post below yours about the subject will explain, however we agree the mortar lance is no joke.
The fact you can still kill tanks with it is what amazes me the most.

Captainless Squad is alright and doesn't give you OP units for completing it You'll get Edy as a bonus to round the deal, but that's with all paid DLCs. Two Valkyrias gives you the two lolies and the Valkyrias. Only pick that one if you are a waifufag.

>imperial rebels.
Just let us play as the Empire. The hot springs episode showed us that we've actually been fighting the good guys all along and it is currently the only group which we haven't played as since VC1/2/3 was Gallia and VC4 was Federation.

Lancer Mortar is fucking useless though. No range, shit AT damage and they only have a few more AP above Grenadier. Mortar are just straight up better at killing infantry and with tanks, you'll just want the normal launcher or the accuracy+ one.

>Raz and one other dude in your squad (I picked Big Boss) die
>They die for nothing, because the armistice would have happened regardless of the attack on the capital

I hated the ending more than any other event in the game

Give it to the straight Yea Forums, is this series dead? would they make VC5?

Attached: 1487280569061.jpg (248x274, 22K)

well i expected it from the start that someone have to die meaninglessly alr
writing to a pre-determined ending sucks
VC4 did relatively well, and a return to form. so i guess we might get more

Doesn't the armistice happens because of the attack though? Like it's the pushing point for the Empire's surrender?

long ass arm

They're out of ideas. The plot can't move and the gameplay can't change.

I hope they figure out a way to evolve and improve -- maybe take a page out of one of those simultaneous-turn TBS and have you route your dudes while the enemy routes theirs

Personally I disagree. As a Lancer/Mortar Lancer you're still going to do the same strat every time of "Get behind the tank and kill it one hit" which you can achieve with a Mortar.
At this point you can have your cake and eat it too by having both instakill capabilities on both tanks/groups/crouching units.
I can understand the advantage of having Grenadiers but I'm still adamant of the superiority of the Mortar Lancer as a unit with great defenses and still being able to keep up with the rest of the group.

>best character is always the big tiddy girl on the enemy side
>kill them off in every game

Why

There are times when Grenadier just outdoes the other classes, not just the Lancer.
The obvious is firing from a position immune to interception fire. Since the game categorizes the strike as a Surprise Attack, evasion happens way less and death is almost certain. The writer guy also has double attack and is broken with a Hartman and extra ammo.

That happens because of the Manhattan Project explosion at the Crystal Sea. Its a downer, could have been bigger.

Gigachad Walz was the best thing to come out of 4

Close but no. The best character is always the guy with the custom tank who has the balls to hit on the Valkyria and you end up fighting multiple times over the game.

>VC1 was a corny but charming light war drama. Our unlikely heroes are forced to join the militia when their home is attacked by the bad guys and through good vides and camaraderie they manage to live through the war and they even end up discovering a powerful secret that helps their side turn the tide.
That's also a decent description of the plot of VC3. There's not a huge difference between the two.

>VC3 gives this super secret shadow group of criminal soldier who were totally secretly behind every major event of the war all along
I'm not sure why you think this is worse than Welkin's squad being literally the only ones to ever achieve anything in VC1.

>it trades the immediately likeable cast from VC1 for a bunch of annoying assholes
I found the cast more likable overall in VC3. Granted, this is largely because I hate Alicia. All her scenes where she whines and cries about how terrible it is that she has amazing superpowers she uses to save her friends on multiple occasions really rub me the wrong way.

>If you're not a good enough writer to handle themes of betrayal and redemption, it's better to just not try at all and write a generic "good guys fight bad guys and win" story
I think VC1's plot actually went heavier on those themes. VC3's setup/premise made it seem like it would go in that direction, but it never really did.

>as long as it seems "mature" and "dark" on a superficial level.
VC3 doesn't appear any darker than VC1 even on a superficial level. Again, the premise makes it look like VC3 might go in that direction, but then the "penal squad" turns out to be composed entirely of decent people.

They love and get a cool boyfriend in the last game. Too bad the flat loli evil characters die thoug.

>kill them off in every game
Best boy gets big tiddy goddess and they both live, in VC4.

We don't disagree on the advantages of a Grenadier. I think our core point of disagreement of what is the most important trait for an AOE Unit to have and mine is movement with the rest of the group/survivability.
You don't have to baby a Lancer to get them to work, you can just aim your Mortar Lance at something and everything dies.

That death was handled like every other anime death in existence.

Going behind the enemy tank doesn't always work or isn't always the most optimal course of action. Sometimes it's just better to coordinate fire with the tank and an other lancer, which is why range is important.

I can't say I ever use tanks to be honest. After VC1, I've always been put off using tanks even though I understand that they only cost 1CP now to use.
To me, the tank is better off staying at the base camp and acting as a defensive unit to ensure it doesn't get taken.

That aside, I can't think of a time where it has ever been inconvenient to use a Lancer to kill a tank that wasn't going to A-rank the skirmish which has Crymaria and Walz standing beside each-other and just using Raz and buffing him to the tits to one-turn it.

Why don't they make a sequel with a new war instead of rehashing the same shit?

God BLESS Raita.

Attached: cHdH5kA.jpg (514x1024, 54K)

based

Well the whole point of the series is that it's anime WW2

I don't know why VC4's main characters had to be from Gallia AGAIN though

They should do a soft reboot of this series just to get best girl back in the picture.

anime WW1 then?
with trenches mechanics?

4 hints that the next thing they might try is paratroopers. Wonder how they'll get that to work though kek.
Would be nice to shoot upwards and see how the engine handles it.

We got 2 very good games (1 and 3)
2 good games (2,4)
and a half decent spin off ARPG
What the fuck more do you want?
The only problem was not having a PSP or vita port of the first game so you can play 1,2,3 on the same system.

Because Heroes is a resource that only Gallia can produce, apparently.
youtube.com/watch?v=_7k-DhDyMb8
youtube.com/watch?v=HNSOBDw4IRY

Attached: 1554481566213.jpg (838x893, 646K)

Is the VC4 DLC ever on sale?

Attached: 1554252618622.jpg (2106x2122, 2.24M)

youtube.com/watch?v=C1zxij1pLpM

Attached: 1550082212475.jpg (550x550, 24K)