How the fuck did they manage to pack all this text in such a small space in Japanese?

How the fuck did they manage to pack all this text in such a small space in Japanese?

Attached: 1562139537232.jpg (1060x862, 175K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qrk1H9j9r0Y
youtu.be/xN1Zm5bY2go?t=1035
youtu.be/WFO3diqEj50?t=1653
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it says something different

NOOOO THEY GAVE THE NPC A PERSONALITY INSTEAD OF JUST SAYING A GENERIC "ARIGATOU MARIO"

language is a mysterious thing

Didn't you JUST make this thread you fucking autist. I'm sorry they "butchered" the complex storyline of Mr. Erase by trying to give him a sketchy personality.

20 bucks says this isn't even the same scene and OP is a baiting fuck

It's called localization, for better or for worse. This is what people want and expect in children's media.

They can pack a lot in those moonrunes, its why any online japanese game only lets you type 5 characters max.

Attached: 1557246337366.gif (380x314, 2.55M)

He says just "Thank you. That's a job well done." Not sure how the English turned into that.

He just says 'Thanks, you really helped me out there. That's all the work for now/today.' in Japanese.

Five seems way too small. I always assumed games like Animal Crossing only have ~ 8 characters to work with for English players because that's a perfectly large number for Japanese.

>Not sure how the English turned into that.
The localization made him a sketchy hitman that makes things "disappear".

Attached: file.png (936x534, 658K)

> paper mario coler splash had this exact line of text for a shy guy on a train
> nobody gave a shit because it was on the wii u and nobody played it

Yea Forums proving once again that they only find ways to hate shit because of popularity

Everyone likes the hitman better

nobody really gives a shit outside of one autist

How many Sunsigns can they fit?

Wait they recycle lines for localization? That's fucked up.

Imagine getting upset about changing the text in a fucking mario game lmao

Does anyone know what the rest of his Japanese dialogue is like? I enjoy the hitman/mafia take on him but these threads have made me curious about the Japanese version.

It's fucking funny, OP. People like it.

It doesn't matter. You shouldn't go just changing things in localization just because you feel like it.

>shy guy on the train
don't remind me about him

Attached: 1562122508329.png (719x719, 705K)

In NES and SNES games it was very common to only give the player 4-5 characters to work with because of memory and screen space constraints. Obviously in English this is very limiting, but in Japanese that's more like getting 4-5 full syllables to work with.

Why do you fucking care
This afterthought story mode in a Mario level editor isn't gonna be some Japanese literary masterpiece

Here's an analogy:
Ghost Stories, the anime
It fucking sucks in Japanese
The English localization made it good, and is the reason anyone fucking knows what Ghost Stories is because Ghost Stories is fucking trash without that dub

Second analogy: Netflix Evangelion. The ADV script was slightly innacurate, but everything sounded good in English. The new script is so fucking stilted and janky, there's a particular scene in Episode 8 where Kaji makes a joke and it just does not land at all in English.

Point is: Literal translations are not the end-all be-all. Fuck you.

lol weab

>this exact line of text
Care to prove it?

Is this the thread where we try to recapture yesterday's shitposting and people who don't know Japanese and hardly know English comment about translating Japanese into English?

Fuck off, they made him an interesting character. He's a fucking eraser and they managed to make him seem cool.

>tfw contrarian Yea Forums is arguing against interesting additions to stale japanese conversations
>tfw they're probably the same braindead people in charge of removing interesting characters from paper mario and replacing them all with sterile toads

I'm guessing it's very plain like that thank you we see. Considering how 'normal' Mr. Eraser actually looks, I have to assume originally the Japanese devs just said "what if the eraser with eyes gave you jobs to erase things." Then the localization team latched on to the way his eyes kind of look shifty.

Japanese has more characters to learn but they each have more information. Instead of just having k and then aeiou theres a different hiragana character for ka, ke, ki, ko, and ku. So in terms of character limits Japanese can fit at least twice as much if you are using simple writing.
If you are using Kanji (Chinese characters) then one character could be, say, 4 hiragana, which would equal maybe eight of our letters.
Japanese twitter is actually a pretty good website because of this.
I can think of lots of English names that go over 8 letters but not many Japanese. My own name for example is 9 in English but could be 4 or perhaps even just 3 in Japanese letters

And here we go. Prepare for the same shitty thread being posted over and over again for the next few days.

Attached: 1560735152429.jpg (1013x1013, 38K)

What do the other language versions do?

>The ADV script was slightly innacurate, but everything sounded good in English.

Fuck you you giant fucking faggot. ADV dub was God fucking awful. Admit it.

i doubt they latched onto the eyes as a a sign of anything
it's only japs that utilize the eyes as a deliberate part of the character design
almost every single western cartoon character is a psycho
this fact is based on the eyes being wide open and the pupils being small as fuck, which is the look someone makes they are surprised

I will never admit it because as far as dubs go it's great
Dub tier list:
Watanabe shit
DBZ
Evangelion
----the line of stop watching dubs----
Everything else
JoJo

But i'm mainly talking about the script in general, both subs and dubs

Holy fuck OP's been spamming this thread since yesterday. Is it shitposting or genuine autism?

>People are actually defending this shit.
What the fuck is wrong with you people.

Attached: images - 2019-07-04T160838.494.jpg (688x446, 56K)

What'd that Shy Guy say in the original Japense version?

All dubs are trash. Learn moon.

Top one is better because of context

Reminder that if the original devs had a problem with it they wouldn't have let the game ship like this

I would very much like to

Best dub after Ghost Stories is Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. Prove me wrong.

Highly doubt this is the same line

localziation =/= translation, there's more to it :)

Nobody had any expectations from color trash, they expected shit and got shit.

welcome to new Yea Forums

Does anyone know if this conversation was in the Japanese version or only changed for localization

Attached: hair1.png (500x580, 190K)

If you have an internet connection and time to shitpost here, you have no excuse.

That just makes it DEEPEST LORE, for me this actually improves the line tenfold

I bet Arche fucks like a tiger

Give me the Japanese script and i'll translate it.

You're probably right. Typical boring Japs. I'm glad Treehouse managed to make a more fun character out of him.

>Does anyone know if this conversation was in the Japanese version or only changed for localization
Yes.

Unironically this.

Because

The M&L and Paper Mario series are heavily changed from Japanese to English. It probably had something to do with hair, but the tone was likely different.

Tell me your name and I'll transliterate it for you

This, autistic weebs begone

At least he started posting a comparison instead of the first thread where he was just bitching about the translation without even having read the Japanese scene.

I bet if this game wasn't on the switch, everybody would shit on it like they did to fire emblem's localization.

it's great knowing that Yea Forums isn't infested with autistic weaboo faggots like you

Oh good it's this thread from yesterday again.

and start sucking 8-4's dick?

It is acceptable to change something to make it better/funnier if the story literally doesn't matter
Example: the story mode in a Mario level editor
holy shit seriously why do you care

nice try fucker

The story matters in Fire Emblem
THE STORY DOESN'T MATTER IN A MARIO LEVEL EDITOR
Literally the best thing they can possibly do is add funny throwaway lines to THE STORY MODE in a MARIO LEVEL EDITOR

Just your first name retard

Its simple text in japanese because the japanese market for nintendo is toddlers. Unfortunately the west is full of 30 year old manchildren expecting nintendo to be mature.

Nice excuse faggot

>does anyone know what the rest of his dialogue is?
>no idea, but let me tell you what i think even though i have no idea what i'm talking about
Shut the fuck up, faggot.

Top is soul
Bottom is soulless

>play translated game
>tells me to solve a riddle about who stands next to a campfire
>get it wrong; the answer was something called a "hiyoko"
>look it up, it's a japanese proverb or some shit with no context
great job with the localization, guys

>ruin drawing that could sell for a lot and has sentimental value to many
>haha you're just weeb if you get mad
fuck you too nigger

What? A hiyoko is a chick.

Learn Japanese then and stop relying on others. Plain and simple. Dumb kids.

That's not how the meme works you dumb turd

>cucks ITT actually defending treehouse translations

Attached: CSTDndlUYAEKWjK.png (905x388, 274K)

No it's not simple, it doesn't even have furigana.
Stop talking out your ass.

Skip Evangelion. Refer to Kid Icarus: Uprising instead.

What did you expect from switchtards?

Furigana is just hiragana over chink words. Its all hiragana already.

I didn't get it either, which is why I had to look it up. They definitely used "hiyoko."

Sometimes furigana can be toggled on and off. Also the kanji used in that example are so basic any primary school kid aged around 8 years would know them already.

Do people honestly care about a throwaway line about some unnamed, unimportant ruins in a Zelda spin-off?

Your next line is "Nice Treehouse bootlicking faggot.".

Attached: 243.png (500x500, 224K)

火+横=ひよこ

It's shitty oyaji-gag tier shit but this is exactly what Japanese was made for.

Unironically dismit̶h̶iss your life.

Attached: lol.jpg (1280x720, 90K)

ナイス•トライ•ファッカー

It's obviously a pun. Hi+yoko, 火+横, homophones with chick 雛

its a fucking doodle on a stairwell that everyone who works and visits doodles on, not the fucking mona lisa

Nice Treehouse bootlicking faggot
NANI

>now you also remember how bad the english VO and text for BotW was, and how it stood out compared to all other versions
yikes, it’s incredible that people still defend this out of love for the japanese branch (the one that actually makes games, as opposed to the american one) of the company

Yeah, that's great and all, but when I play localized shit, should I really have to have deep knowledge of nip puns? Why even "localize" it at all?

That's awful, even by Japanese standards.

>they "butchered" the complex storyline of Mr. Erase by trying to give him a sketchy personality.
You forgot your image

Attached: carlos.jpg (600x600, 35K)

Nobody defended this when the game was released. Absolutely nobody. Your apologism for this company is so insane I bet you unironically defend their online service too.

Holy shit, it's Sans!

based

no it's fucking not all hiragana, I' bet most adults who study jap in the first year can't even read, write and understand that.

You could say they erased his original personality

Are seriously defending this shit too?

I wonder how different English games that get translated into jap are
I remember there was a jap meme of sans being a farmer or something cause they translated him in a way that made him sound like a bumpkin

It's a stupid pun but the target audience will understand it intuitively. I got it straight away as a Japanese as fourth language weeb.

>ITT: N3s N4s and N5s

Attached: 1498877722642.png (95x115, 2K)

They don't write the dialogue for fat adult weebs learning the language though

I distinctly remember reading this exact dialog somewhere before. Did another game or piece of media use it?

we all have to start somewhere I’m a N5 myself

Shadowgate was translated fucking HORRIBLY into Japanese
They made the whole thing first person because saying the "you" equivalent in Japanese (anata) sounds kinda weird
They removed Lakmir entirely
Also there's a death quote that references Carl Lewis for some reason

maybe they copied from another media, I wouldn’t put it past the Nintendo Treehouse

>projecting this hard
N1 since 2009 here faggot

Yeah his portrayal really rubbed me the wrong way

he's the only character in this world that possesses the ability to erase people and things from existence. If you think about it, such a character should be feared. He's like a god in Mario Maker.

Nevermind this localization faggotry, how many people did you dab on in online versus today Yea Forums?

Attached: 1560830658846.png (469x506, 240K)

I don't do shitty tests i just read japanese

I'm not defending anything. Theres nothing to defend. You're swinging wildly into the air and acting like you're killing monsters

>This entire thread
Dumb switchtards

Attached: 1532100368778.png (2000x1016, 915K)

These shitpost threads are made by pro-localization/pro-Treehouse people and intended to deliberately aggravate the general populous in order to discredit future legitimate qualms with Treehouse's localization standards in games where the translation actually matters (Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, villager dialogue in Animal Crossing)

Attached: 1552760407713.png (370x370, 16K)

I don't play video games.

Yes, you are,
You're defending some intern ruining a piece of art, something a bunch of people were pissed at.

I bet you think characters like Gregor in Awakening were better in Japanese because that was the "original" version

>Do people honestly care about a throwaway line about some unnamed, unimportant ruins in a Zelda spin-off?
It's hilarious that people think Treehouse's incompetency is relegated to spin-off games.

The obvious examples is BotW, where you get shit like:
>This form was born from his obsessive refusal to give up on revival…
mistranslated to:
>He has given up on reincarnation and assumed his pure, enraged form.

Quite the opposite, I believe that their online service is shit.

Surely a human being is capable of not caring about one aspect of a company while simultaneously caring about another aspect of it. You don't have to think in extremes unless you're intellectually lazy, which I'll generously assume you're not.

Attached: 1558342993774.png (672x466, 445K)

Im not, but the other drawing looks better than that shitty anime drawing anyway

And there we go

Is Yea Forums the only place where people will get unironically mad over a literal eraser?

Attached: 1445747400811.png (546x432, 283K)

I really don't understand this shit.
If you know enough to care or be upset that a line in a video game got changed in English translation, then you should just play it in Japanese.

It's not a difficult pun, just a bad one.

but that's literally NOA's job. Nintendo created them and pays them to do exactly that. That's literally how localization works.

Grow a brain and then you'll understand

I agree, but then I have a real problem discussing games with people who play the rewritten version. It'd be like trying to discuss a book with someone who has only read a cliff notes version.

>ruining a piece of art
I guarantee you those stairwells are so full of overlapping art it holds the walls up.
Its a building occupied by hundreds of artists, the only reason you even give a modicum of a misplaced fuck is because you like Kawamoto more than you like whoever the fuck drew over him.

this was abhorrent it completely changes that encounter for you if you’re a lorefag, but it’s just Treehouse being lazy with Nintendo’s most important title of the year when it was released.

Anyone with a brain wouldn't be bothered by this

good localization > boring literal translation
Always.
Bonus if the creator actually approves of it and the localization doesn't go too heavily against the original intentions.

>user DID YOU LIKE MARIO MAKER 2?
>Yes, I found it quite enjo-
>I LAUGHED SO HARD AT THE ERASER MAFIOSO GUY HAHA, I HOPE HE’S IN SMASH

Gee, I wonder why people get upset that more and more redditcore memes are fed everytime to them

>whoever the fuck
an intern

Puns usually are bad and that's part of their ironic appeal.

Are you happy with censorship too

Attached: 1560866246498.png (455x640, 468K)

Evatards have opinions this bad, not a surprise.

>t. fucking nobody
An actual conversation with a bing bing wahoo sperg would be more like:
>user DID YOU LIKE MARIO MAKER 2?
>Yes, I found it quite enjo-
>PLAY MY LEVEL, PLAY MY FRIEND'S LEVEL, HERE'S MY LEVEL CODE *starts naming off the codes by memory*

There's a difference between some minor localisation work, like, say, hiring actors who can do accents that match the backstory of characters, and changing out Chinese idioms for more palatable versions in English, which is something you'll find in a good localisation like MGS1, and just making a character wacky for the sake of it because you're worried the kids will get bored if a character just asks them to do things for a gameplay reward, or replacing rice balls with jelly donuts because children might be confused about rice balls, which is something you'll find in localisations aimed at children.

>EU fucked up capitalization
Nice quality

What the fuck happened to this board, you'd all be up in flames over censorship and shitty localisation years ago.
Now you're all a bunch of fucking faggots.

Nah, I like puns. That one was just meh.

Bait or not, I want everyone to know this line of thinking is supreme fag shit.

Nintendo cultists have been slowly getting more and more mentally ill, as shit like smash posting has gone utterly unchecked because "muh japan time board culture".

Nintendo posters have always been fucking bad, but every year they grow worse. Sony going full retard hasn't helped much.

It could have been fucking Richard Williams himself and you'd still complain

Attached: pb.gif (350x350, 132K)

it's a throwaway character in a throwaway story mode for a mario level editor
it's
not
a
big
deal

now read the first letter in each line

do you think ff6 had a bad localization

i cant wait until all of you weebs are banned from 4channel.

>>it's a throwaway character in a throwaway story mode for a mario level editor
Well, it's EVERY throwaway character in a throwaway story mode for a mario level editor, but hey, Treehouse writers have to practice somewhere, right?

I guarantee you spent more energy forcing a controversy about this than the Japanese guy ever spent thinking about the lines he was writing for a cartoon eraser in a Mario level editor.

Attached: 1407825378361.jpg (848x551, 119K)

It's a compact language folded over one thousand times

yes
why are you guys treating this like it's an rpg

How are we supposed to be mad about it if we never played it to begin with?

>like, say, hiring actors who can do accents that match the backstory of characters
That's not localization at all, that IS translation. Localizing is when you change something different from the original to match with LOCAL CULTURE of the countries you're exporting the original work out to. Hence the term "localization".
>just making a character wacky for the sake of it because you're worried the kids will get bored if a character
Idk m8, that's exactly what NoA did with Splatoon and it sold the game extremely well. Had they refused to localize the dialogue would've been totally bland and clashed with the "fresh" and modern aesthetic that the game was going for.
>or replacing rice balls with jelly donuts because children might be confused about rice balls, which is something you'll find in localisations aimed at children
Only pokemon did this, most popular kid's anime usually cooperate with making an international version that uses sandwiches instead of distinctly japanese food.

This, accept the imperfections, wabi-sabi or whatever.

the resetera invasion is complete

It's just some copycats who saw how easy and "hilarious" it is to make Yea Forums shit itself over nothing after the how successful the original autismo's thread went so now they're posting the same thread over and over again.

>Idk m8, that's exactly what NoA did with Splatoon and it sold the game extremely well
Why are Treehouse defenders so delusional? Splatoon sold because it's a Nintendo shooter with a "novel" concept. Not because of the hideous writing job.
>Localizing is when you change something different from the original to match with LOCAL CULTURE of the countries you're exporting the original work out to.
Nobody in Japan expects characters who are said to be from Russia, or England, or America, to have any real accent. At best, you might get a foreigner in a Japanese setting who talks a bit retarded, or a character who randomly interjects with their "native" language's words. This is because Japan as a country doesn't have a significant population of people who speak Japanese as a second language, so nobody even knows the difference between a Russian speaking Japanese and an American speaking Japanese.

In English however, it's extremely common to have characters with accents. So yeah, it's a localisation issue.

This is the exact opposite of censorship, this is like crybaby faggots getting upset at the Ghost Stories dub.

>original thread OP admits he isn't sure it says something different
>made fun of for it
>turns out it does say something completely different
>retards still act like the position is unreasonable for le epic meme screencaps

Why didn't OP use this? This one is way worse.

Because Mario Maker is a new release? If you bothered looking you could find a few thousand hack-job lines out there, all from the past 5 years.

Are you the same moron from yesterday that didn't even know what he said in the Jap version?

Attached: kuso.jpg (1019x412, 120K)

>hideous writing job
>t. faggot that never even bought it
No one that actually likes Splatoon would ever say the "writing job" is ""hideous"". Either you're extremely pretentious or you hate fun.
>In English however, it's extremely common to have characters with accents.
Ah, I misunderstood your original statement. By "accents" I thought you were referring more to the tone of voice that a character uses and picking a proper voice actor, and not foreigner accents/JP dialects being localized.

This isn't bad at all
Same meaning, different tone... maybe slightly worse but not very egregious. Wouldn't work as bait.

>tranny resetera spacing

Back to your containment forum

The opposite of censoship in no censorship.
This is the localization team being faggots.
Ghost stories dub was kino this isn't/

It's because no one gives a shit about the Mario Maker localization. The examples from other games posted in this thread are way worse and are actually worth getting pissed over.

>>No one that actually likes Splatoon would ever say the "writing job" is ""hideous""
I mean, maybe you're right, I'm over the age of 12 so I think Splatoon is hot garbage, because I've played maybe 500 online shooters that all blow it out of the water.

The writing is hideous. If you're honestly entertained by that shit, you should see a shrink or something, because there's something seriously wrong with your brain.

Probably

My point is nobody would give a shit about this (and most you probably still don't actually give a shit and are just playing along for (You)'s) if some supreme autist didn't go digging it up because he was triggered that a talking cartoon eraser in a game with no plot or meaningful characterization has a silly quirk that didn't exist in the original text.

i don't think you understand how localizations work
they are made so a PRODUCT could be more appealing to a foreign audience
This shit ain't art

I bet you cry over Yugioh dubs

people who cry over that stuff still choose subs over dubs anyways

Sketchy Mr. Eraser is absolutely kino compared to forgettable Keshigomu-kun.
Mr. Eraser erased Keshigomu-kun's lackluster personality for a better one.

>I'm so mature and intelligent, that's why I'm using Yea Forums

Attached: 85e.jpg (680x490, 83K)

>>people who cry over that stuff still choose subs over dubs anyways
So why doesn't the game give people the option? If dubs are fine because you can just watch subs instead, why aren't games made with "localised for entertainment" and "more faithful translation" options?

Jesus, man. Did mommy refuse to buy you even a fucking PS4 because all those mature games make you a serial killer or something?

I feel bad for you, but stop defending Nintendo garbage because it's the only shit you can play. I hope one day you can move out and buy a PC or something, so you can see all the games you've been missing out on.

>”REEEEEEEE, where’s my 1:1 awkward, stilted Engrish!

Adios...

why waste the money
name me some games where the "artistic vision" (if any) was actually ruined by a localization that attempted to make the game more appealing

and make sure if these games actually had an artistic vision and weren't just products

don't give me any anime titty crap either cause your jpegs are easily found online

You already squandered your chance at playing the "I'm more mature than you" card the moment you started to get pissy over an eraser in a children's video game because it wasn't muh weeb kino 100% accurate translation. I'm sure the reason this even bothers you is because you're a fucking sony weeb and localizations immediately trigger a knee-jerk reaction because it could be your waifu on the chopping block next.
Cope.

Attached: 1450078051070.png (200x200, 46K)

That's double the work to appease a minor group of people who would appreciate it. Especially in the case of Mario Maker since the dialogue is not why people even play the game.
If you want the original intent of the author, go learn Japanese. Things get lost in translation, either deliberately or because it can't be helped, all the time.

Videogame translations in the west have been adapting dialogues and character personalities for decades, you fucking idiot. Do you think all the character in JRPGs with english accents like cockney, brooklin, irish, etc. had that same characterization in the original? No, they probably had a different regional or cultural stereotype attached to them that most westerners don't know about because the game was made with a japanese audience in mind.
Also this is not censorship in the slightest, of all the actual istances of censorship in videogames you had to sperg over a harmless adaption for a tiny NPC that has an extremely minor role in the barely-existant plot of a Mario game, you massive autistit piece of bull turd.

it's fucking mario dude

Man, I should've realised I was talking to a fucking chick earlier. Go dilate, buddy.

Even if they directly translated it, you'd STILL bitch and moan about it because it's not romanized Japanese.

>tranny projections
rent-free

I'm more worried about the sentence fragment

Stop fighting you two :(

You can't ruin the "original intent" when there isn't any to begin with. Nothing went through the head of the guy who wrote the original Japanese except for "They want me to make this eraser say stuff when Mario talks to it."

Mr. Eraser is an unfunny wacky mafioso type. Keshigomu-kun is a no-nonsense, hardened military eraser, which is clearly shown in the difference between their final text boxes.

Mr. Eraser is a simpering cuckold, someone who is seriously concerned with "redemption". He might be a killer, but ultimately, he thinks what he is doing is wrong.

Keshigomu-kun has no such qualms. The missions are over, it's back to his usual life, the one where his callous disregard for others doesn't bother him in the least.

This is because western children can't handle the idea of a killer without redemption. Japanese children, on the other hand, have no problem with more complex concepts revolving around death.

>one is a reference to an internet meme
>the other is adding fitting personality and complexity to a blank slate character
Also, they did the same thing for Animal Crossing GCN and that one has the best writing in the series. They stayed a lot closer to the simple dialogue in later games like New Leaf and it's a vast downgrade.

whats being lost in this localization?

You're thinking about this more than anyone who ever worked on either version of the game ever did.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qrk1H9j9r0Y

Just the whole character of a talking eraser.

Attached: keshi.jpg (922x563, 93K)

Thet couldn't fit the whole text in the box if they put "Wondering if the path you walk is righteous". Additionally, both the "you are" and "wondering" are implied for the next sentence because they were used in the immediate preceding sentence so it's understood as stylistic fragmentation.

If you really care that much about it, why not tell non-moonmen what it says.

I can't believe they ruined all the nuances in this line that foreshadows the huge plot twist in Chapter 4 and gives hints to his tragic backstory, it completely changes his complex relationship with Undodog.

Attached: 1480554758581.jpg (527x531, 19K)

Sorry buddy, I don't do translation work. I'm not a homosexual.

I know this is a new meme and all. but what does he say after???

But his personality was jarring and unfunny
You can just tell when talking to him he was translated that way to get reddit upvotes

Nobody complaining about the localization actually knows what he says in the original script.

>tragic backstory
Wait, you actually bought it? You think those fire bros made it into the koopa orphanage by chance? Who the hell do you think erased the wall?

>If it's not a localization, it's stilted ESL trash
Take the line オレ学食行ったことないんだけど味とかどうなの?
You could ESL it into "I've never been to the cafeteria. How's the flavor and stuff?" or localize it like a retard into "The cafeteria? The slop looks like dogfood. Is it really safe to eat?" or you could not be a retard and make it "I've never eaten at the cafeteria. How's the food there?"

Translation is about balance.

I'm not inclined to care about what I can't read. Ignorance is bliss.

Dunno how true as I haven't played it myself, but apparently FFVIII

>ESL example is still readable
Nah, your choices are more like
>ESL
"I have never eaten at a cafeteria. What does the flavor of cafeteria food taste like?"
>Localization
"Yo, I haven't been to the cafeteria. I just order uber eats. How's the slop?"
>balanced translation
"I've never eaten at the cafeteria. How's the food?"

Bottom is truest to the original, localization changes the attitude but also tries to be more modern and fun, ESL is just awkward.

>ESL is just awkward
Which people need to understand isn't accurate. If a normal speaking character is made to sound like an awkward robot, then it's an inaccurate translation.

Localization should only serve to change things which cannot be literally translated in a way that still serves the original message's intention.
I guarantee a large part of it is that these people can barely speak Japanese so have to second guess every other work, and as such they just rewrite it thanks to their shitty lack of fluency.
If I wanted to read some original writing fat moronic American fucks I'd just buy American media, but since nobody wants it they have to force it into everything else.

Attached: 1562161993506.jpg (640x480, 50K)

Panty and Stocking dub is unironically better than the original.

Yeah, but nothing directed by Imaishi is worth watching so it doesn't matter.

Where are you getting the "thank you/thanks" from? Filthy learning ESL here. I would just say "That was a job well done." or if I want to localize it I would just say "Great job back there!".

He's very different in japanese
here

This is hard as fuck to read.

no he doesnt retard
first phrase is well done faggot

>未来ある若者の行く手を阻む邪魔者よ!
>この世から消え去れーい!

ムズいことなんか ないんだ とおもう

みらいあるわかものゆくてをはばむじゃまものよ!
このよからきえされーい!

shut up fag

My bad, I can read it but not really translate too well.

>This annoying thing that obstructs the way of this young man future, dissapear from this world!!!

Something like that.

ghost stories is trash with dub as well retard

This is the most ESL translation I've ever seen. Do you scanlate manga?

Like I said I'm not good at translating.

Japanese to English translators have had a habit of completely overtranslating content for years. You can like it or not, but I for one simply wonder : why? Do they wish they were writers instead of translators, taking out their frustrations in the games they work on? Because they're intrinsically no reason for all the overstranslating. It's really curious.

>よくやってくれた。
>You did it well.
>仕事は以上だ。
>That's all the work(done).

I know. The joke was making fun of scanlators, not you.

The original devs don’t learn anything about the localization unless angry fans bring it to their attention, like that Mirage game on Wii U.

That doodled over a fucking Cowboy Bebop drawing by the creator.

How could they sell it? Break the wall apart?

Attached: 1562002991923.jpg (480x480, 51K)

This is why I don't fucking translate at all unless someone's gonna throw money at me to do it.

You know what it means because your brain accesses the "pure meaning" where the words are as you read. However, the connections to other languages' words are typically really loose unless you deliberately train yourself to translate and tighten those connections up.

This is why for someone who's like a year or two into their studies, it's best to just learn in the language itself, because that'll just continue building up further connections closer to where your target language sits in your brain rather than associating them with concepts in your native.

And, it's also why you will have these troubles converting even easy sentences into elegant English.

Languages aren't hard, but it's impossible to explain to someone exactly how it feels to read or listen to something and "get" it, be able to respond as expected, but not be able to convey it back in a different language.

Everyone who disagrees with this thinks there was nothing wrong with Fire Emblem Fates.

I played the undub, so the only thing wrong about it was Birthright and Revelations.

Kudos to making Effie an old lady just because her hair was pale.

I'm sorry OP, I'm the guy who was looking for clips in the previous thread. The japanese part corresponds to this in english:
youtu.be/xN1Zm5bY2go?t=1035
It's the post completion dialog.
youtu.be/WFO3diqEj50?t=1653
I have no idea where the english part comes from, but you (and me previously) got the wrong part.

Copy-paste the links, if timestamps don't work in embed

>Ghost Stories, the anime
>It fucking sucks in Japanese
>The English localization made it good, and is the reason anyone fucking knows what Ghost Stories is because Ghost Stories is fucking trash without that dub

that wasn't localization you retard
it's more like meme dragon ball z dub

Agreed, all the people saying NOOOOOO BUT IT'S A BETTER CHARACTER IN THE US VERSION are retards. It's the same as reading a rewrite of a book. Doesn't matter if the story is better, it's not the original one and should be disregarded.
This is NOT localization.

BASED EUROCHADS WIN AGAIN

Attached: 1468711038924.jpg (560x570, 140K)

Dilly dally shilly shally

i know that it's a bit disappointing to see one of your favorite lines changed in a dub (like dio's taunting of jotaro after joseph "dies", the road roller scene, and "i'm calling the police" in diu), but the original is always there, so it's not like you have to watch the dub
if anything, you guys complaining about dubs/localisations makes it seem like you want to watch/play it, but are somehow held back by the idea that it's slightly different
having an exact carbon copy of something just in english seems like a waste if you can just watch the subs while imagining the english VAs saying those lines, having something a bit different will always feel weird because the first thing you experience of something will always feel like "the original", and that anything that's different is a fake
i don't know, i usually know what i think, but i have a hard time expressing why i think like that, but i'm just saying that nothing is better if they're not the exact same, or something like that

Attached: 1520402888303.png (481x469, 333K)

I know exactly what they did, and I'm saying its a complete nonissue. The creator drew so many cowboy bebop drawings they turned it into a show called cowboy bebop, and you're expecting literally anyone to care that he drew it once in a stairwell in an LA building that has probably thousands of other drawings on it.
Its not a fucking banksy that needs to be protected by impact glass to attract tourists

Do you really think OP could get past the runes on his own?

I wouldn't translate even for money, it's basically no different from taxidermy.

Translation is like being given a perfectly healthy, living animal, and then butchering it and putting its pelt on a plastic skeleton to recreate the "life-likeness" of it. But you had a living animal to start with, so why did you have to kill it?

dilate weeb

it's like weeb faggots don't understand the basic logic behind economy and marketing.
the main consumers of these games are not autistic fags comparing lines between two versions of a game. nor do they give a fuck since culturally they are different and don't give a fuck about what chink shit have to say.
short answer, consumers want what's whats appealing to them culturally and they aren't weeb fags on a chink owened image board

So Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is the only time where the English voices are better than the Japanese ones right?

we need a next tier above food analogies to contain this one

As someone living in the Plato's cave that is "translation", you'll never be able to understand.

i know an american who speaks only one language when i see one

It's sad that ESLs think they understand "translation" because they know a handful of incredibly closely related languages with lots of overlap.

Come back when you know an East Asian language, you dumb sack of shit.

He still says "Adios!" as a catchphrase in japanese. He's more of a old guy speech that try to sound cool.

Wrong insult, brainlet.

thank you for the self-portrait

yikes, imagine defending nintendo treehouse inserting reddit humor in place of the original dialogue

Attached: file.png (1200x897, 1.4M)

What is the Treehouse way of translating しょうがない?

Attached: 15123512343.gif (800x450, 322K)

Sena is my wife btw

Wrong text.
Here's the text:

Attached: _completion_combi_translated.png (724x700, 101K)

Shut up

JAP text: "Good work."
JAP implication: This is a game about construction and so the characters should act like professionals. This will elevate the player's experience, making them feel respected enough to not waste their precious time with useless dialogue.

ENG text: "Is there redemption for people like us?"
ENG implication: HURF DURF I'M SUCH A FUCKING RETARD HOLY SHIT LOOK AT ME I'M NOT A PERSON BUT I CALLED MYSELF A PERSON HAHAHAHA SO FUNNEH XD RAPE MY FACE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

Judgement does exactly that

>People get mad at shit like this.
>But when Treehouse did the same thing when they were kids, it was fine.

The balancing act is adding to the script without actively taking something away or altering things the writers held dear. The TTYD translation is a weird roundabout one where, by omitting a joke to prevent confusion, a ton of people ended up thinking Vivian is supposed to be a dude.

>Literally running out of things to complain about so going on about a character who has maybe 3 stages total in the story mode out of about 120

Sad thing is that Nintendo of Fatistan already did this bit in MH4U with the egg delivery quests. It was as cringy then as it is now.

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP
IM STILL MAD ABOUT THAT DRAWING

Is there a way to disable the floating screen in the airship theme? It's really annoying.

But TTYD was and is both clever and funny. This is just annoying and pointless.

WTF I hate TTYD now?

>OP was shitposting this whole time.
Who knew?

Damn, everything I've seen of Color Splash's dialogue looks based. I should finish it.

I dunno what you are on about but I was proving that the translation is accurate and that OP just took the wrong dialog.

Someone tell me from what time the dialog in OP's post is and I can maybe look for the corresponding japanese text.

>But TTYD was and is both clever and funny.
It was literally the same kind of shit.
The EXACT same kind of shit.
They gave several characters archetypes and quirks they didn't previously have in an attempt to spice up the dialogue.

WHERE THE FUCK DOES THE JAPANESE VERSION SAY KID?
GAMERS WE NEED TO RISE UP

I dont think theres harm in americanising and changing things to suit its new form

I'll take embellishment over direct translation personally.

Of course, if something simple and wholesome gets changed to a demeaning agenda fueled "localisation" then theres going to be a problem but like , sometimes the team wants to give something more personality to make it stick with an audience.

Also
>I want direct translation
This doesnt exist and language is more complicated than simply getting a sentence auto translated, just fucking learn the language, fuckhead.

I think it's my fault because in a previous thread, I assumed that was the english text for the completion, so I posted the completion japanese text (and OP just took it). Turns out the English text comes from a different moment.

>trannies are weebs
Wrong.

Black people are weebs. Spot the signs before they mug you

>There are only two sides! Nothing in between!
It's almost like a rewrite can be good if you don't go too far.

You prove nothing. The mafia shit isn't in the japanese version period. All these fools thinking OP was "disproved" by are raging morons.

and while you're at it you should stay on reddit where they love shit games and pop culture references in place of actual dialogue!

Attached: file.png (800x450, 619K)

How dare they destroy the artistic integrity of an NPC in my bing bing wahoo game.

OP was disproved. The mafia thing wasn't disproved.
He still says "Adios" in japanese, but he's more of a "old cool guy" stereotype.

Fuck you and fuck that stupid line

Sorry you have no sense of humor. Nu-Nintendo is just random nonsense, like "I blame the union." How is that fucking funny?

TTYD doesn't have a boring dialog box. Especailly Goombella's tangents about enemies and the moon which are creative, varied and most importantly RELEVANT

Nothing will ever make Fire Emblem "right".
It's simply a shit series - any turn based strategy without a playable undead or robot faction is.

Doesn't hold a candle to pic related.

Just look at this shit. What the fuck.

Attached: BFQLfwZCQAEjoc1.jpg (599x375, 59K)

remember when mentally retarded Yea Forumsermin thought this was a goobergate reference

>Color Splash removes all character and fun from the game visually.
>We should also remove all humor and personality from the dialogue too, even though this is the exact same tier of humor as the beloved Paper Mario TTYD.
Fuck you.

>few days

I hate it. Translators shouldn't try to become writers.

We live in a global world now where everyone is connected and we have information all the time about everyone. Localization is an outdated, antiquated concept that existed to maximize financial gain. It does nothing but hurt legitimate translation. It introduces opinion into translation and how one reads A word instead of translating it properly and it allows people to instill their own personal embellishments on to text. Introducing this into a translation is damaging to original intent.

If you enjoy foreign media always learn the language. That is all.

It's literally exactly the fucking same, right down to making characters into mobsters who weren't originally. TTYD was even more liberal and nonsensical with changes than this is. This is literally "NO BUT IT WAS GOOD WHEN I WAS A KID," you fucking faggot.

>even though this is the exact same tier of humor as the beloved Paper Mario TTYD.
where were the internet memes and "oooh gee willickers i sure am made of paper!!!!" puns in thousand year door?

Attached: 1538396229457s.jpg (250x250, 6K)

It would have helped if the thing drawn over it wasn't some ugly cal-art bullshit by some faggot that had to pencil his lines first because he was too insecure to use marker right away.

God no. I specifically avoid talking to characters because of this hack job.

I didn't play it as a kid, you depraved fuck. Go watch some more Family Guy while I enjoy my delighful comedy.

Attached: 1458238686290.jpg (2048x1536, 325K)

does there have to be this many threads about the same fucking thing?

>global world
No we live in a flat world

how do you say GAMERS, RISE UP in japanese?

That goalpost moving

Gema banzai!!!

>It does nothing but hurt legitimate translation.
We wouldn't have Bowser's Inside Story if it wasn't for the localized version of SSS.
FF6 is as beloved as it is because of Woolsey (it's comparatively less popular in Japan), and he filled in Kitase's blanks on Chrono Trigger.
Suda51's The Silver Case and The 25th Ward just released in the last few years. The first is so directly translated that it actually fails to get a lot of things across while the other, while changing some minor details, effectively conveys Suda's ideas to Western audiences who may not immediately pick up on the satire of modern Tokyo.

It's not black and white, and you stupid faggots who know nothing about literature, context, subtext, etc make everything worse by convincing people that adaptations and reinterpretations are inherently evil just because some faggots make bad ones sometimes. Fuck you.

目覚めたまえッ!我がゲーマーたちよ!

NoE unironically did a better job on every level than NoA. Too bad they got shut down iirc.

>Delightful comedy
The exact same joke is in both games you nonce.

Attached: cancer faces.png (900x900, 81K)

FF6 is less popular in japan because it's a broken fucking mess.

Kid Icarus Uprising stands as the only example of a complete rewrite actually yielding a better result, and as such it is the exception and no the rule.

Internet memes are the modern WWE, movie and comic book memes. That game is filled with stupid references that weren't in the original, you just liked the references because they were about things you enjoy.

care to point some of them out in TTYD instead of dodging my question

This, that's why I would rather hack my consoles to get fan translations than a localization

>I-it's impossible for NOA to write a genuinely funny game without relying off of wacky internet references! TTYD also did it!
>No I won't give you examples!

Attached: joke nicholson.jpg (299x168, 6K)

Translations made by people that love the game and want more fans being able to experience it will obviously always be better than localization by 9-5 office shitters that probably hate their job.

>Dodging the question.
>By pointing directly at what the equivalent.

Rawk Hawk.
Piantas are Goodfellas all the way through.
TEC makes multiple HAL references.
The fucking Koopinator.
Bobbery's name is meant to rhyme with "Connery", because Sean Connery was an internet meme at the time and Barrel had a big mustache. He talks with a similar inflection and vocabulary.
"Smorg" is named after the Borg.
That's just off the top of my head. The game is inundated in pop culture bullshit, you just didn't notice it or liked it.

Where does the first bit of faggotry come from, then? That's the important thing here.

>They've always used liberal memes and changed things in localization.
>This somehow turns into "they MUST make nothing but internet memes!" when the OP isn't even a meme so much as a basic character rewrite.
It's almost like this entire conversation is a bunch of people grasping at straws to justify whatever their position is instead of being honest with each other and addressing the point.

Attached: Colossal Failure.jpg (900x580, 53K)

I'll give you Rawk Hawk, but even then, Hulk Hoagan wasn't some underground internet reference that only internet nerds will get. Goodfellas didn't invent mafia humor.

Also everything after the Koopinator is just pure reaching.

Yeah, complete rewrites tend to be bad.
Good thing they're extremely rare and we're talking about localized lines and occasional changes to characters.

>Bobbery is reaching.
YTMND was big at the time. Don't you fucking even try to play me with this shit. It's literally the only possible explanation for his name, and it's completely different in every other language. Smorg is 100% the etymology for that name, as the Japanese name is basically "more-more". They act like the Borg and smother things. That's where the name comes from.

>some underground internet reference that only internet nerds
You know that hundreds of thousands of people have seen the memes that they reference, right?

Besides the fact that some of the girly BS'ing got changed, this dialogue remains remarkably faithful to the original in terms of pure content.

>ところで・・・こう改めて見るとそのピンク色のドレス・・・私達の髪の色ととても良くあっているわね
>まぁそう?
>それに、その髪型も。実を言うとね・・・思い切って短くしようかと思ったこともあるのだけど・・・
>まあわたくしもよ!・・・でも、周りに全力で止められてしまって。
>たまにはイメージチェンジしてみんなを驚かせてみたいですね・・・
>まあステキ!・・・でも、どういうのがいいのかしら?
まず髪・・・切るのがだめなら思い切って髪型を変えてみるとか?
>たまにスポーツとかする時にポニーテールにしたりするけど・・・キノピオ達の反応はあまり変わらないのよね・・・
>わたくしもそうだったわ。なかなか難しいものね・・・

The biggest differences being that there is no mention of dying their hair purple/crimping/etc, and though it's implied, nobody comes out and says straight-up "is short hair not princessy enough?"

It is effectively said, but not explicitly.

Attached: kami.jpg (545x600, 136K)

>It's literally the only possible explanation for his name
Do you think every paper mario character's name has some deep meaning behind it? his name is just Bobbery.

>Almost every single localized name in the entire game is a pun of some kind or informs character.
>No, Bobbery's name isn't a reference famous man with the same speaking patterns and disposition, that's silly, they just made up a nonsense word that just happens to rhyme with the applicable internet meme man.
Okay fag.

>caring about EOP problems
Why haven't you learned Japanese yet?

M&L actually tends to stay very close to script with most of the changes being minor tweaks and character voice things. It's why 2 and 4's scripts are so shit, honestly, they kept them too close to the original.

nobody:

not a single soul:

Yea Forums: how dare they giving the eraser a personality??? I want my over thousand times folded no personality based jap eraser!!!! GAMERS RISE UP!!!

nice reddit meme, now fuck off nigger.

The eraser already had a personality. They replaced it with some "funny" meme garbage.

nice racism you got there user, don't cut yourself on that edge

top: soul
bottom: soulless

>>Almost every single localized name in the entire game is a pun of some kind or informs character.
>Bob-Omb
>Bob
>Bobbery
woah.... I guess koops and bombette are also deep references to real world people too huh...

This line has a completely different context though. Eraser hires you to do hit jobs.

>everything a meme
ok

>It's spelled "Bob-Omb" and not "Bomb-Omb"
Well shit. I'm a retard.

Imagine getting butthurt over translated dialogue of a fucking eraser in the story mode that almost no one plays

user lives in a world made of poop. He wakes up every morning from his bed made of turds, has a healthy breakfast of turd bits and diarrhea, leaves his house made of feces and goes to work in his log shaped shit car. After a long day of work handling crap, he goes back home, takes off his clothes made of excrements and plops down on his poopoo couch to relax. It's in that exact moment that he notices, disgusted, a tiny fly that lands on his turd table and lays down a microscopic bit of fly poop. He is overwhelmed by disgust and goes on Yea Forums to make a thread about it.
The end.

>Bombette is Bomb + female suffix, meaning she's a girl bomb.
>Koops is a Koopa but with an s, as this is a way that informal nicknames tend to end, giving the impression of youth and casualness.

>Bobbery
>Connery
I wonder what the second half of his name means. It couldn't be a reference to a famous movie meme man who has the same personality and accent. That would ruin my argument! It must be meaningless!

Baccano.

Yuyu was better than DBZ, fuck you.

>I wonder what the second half of his name means
his name is just bobbery. it's a dude's name combined with bob.

i would have an easier time believing this if you and this one youtube VA weren't the only two people in the entire world to make this connection.

Attached: file.png (984x503, 182K)

>Ghost Stories

This is the most absurd bait I’ve seen in my entire life.

Attached: EF7A3EB3-E478-474F-9870-A13E6F4E2C33.png (144x136, 8K)

It's "girl cuts her long hairs episode". So empowering!

>If it isn't a DID YOU KNOW GAMING factoid it isn't real.
Imagine.

Attached: IT BROKE NEW GROUND.png (1011x774, 622K)

And the name it's combined with is Connery.
Come on user, you're just being a pedant. You may as well say Rawk Hawk isn't based on Hogan and The Rock.

Remember when op made this thread yesterday and then revealed he didn't have any idea what was lost from the translation from JP to EN?

What a fucking mong lmao

You're so wrong it hurts.
t. watched it for the first time three years ago.

he doesn't say or do anything that that would suggest he is a connery reference, unlike rawk. you would think if he was supposed to be sean connery, more than just 3 people in the entire universe and document this reference like how every single pop culture reference is autistically documented on tv tropes or wiki pages in the trivia section.

also
>literally one minute apart posts
nice samefagging by the way

We're talking about a sapient eraser NPC in a Mario game. Slightly altering his characterization does not affect the game. No one picked up Super Mario Maker 2 for the intricate story and deep lore.

>Yet again claiming that if autistic spergs didn't catch it, nobody ever intended it.
>Also anyone who disagrees with me is samefag.
This is getting sad, user.
I know you want to insist that Treehouse wasn't the same back then and you'll go down swinging to deny that a Sean Connery reference was made in 2005, but at some point you're gonna have to deal with the fact that the salty vaguely-scot/brit old man whose name is three letters off might be a reference to a huge pop culture icon.

yes i am 100% saying that two posts disagreeing with me that are exactly a minute apart thanks to the spam timer are samefags, samefag.

>m-muh samefag! coincidences simply don't exist!
>still no argument or suggestion beyond "it's pure randomness!"
Go on. You can do it user.

yes it's pure reaching. and yeah you're a samefag.

JAPANESE PUN GOOD ENGLISH PUN BAD

Go on user, give the explanation beyond "iT's juST RandOM!"
Treehouse was better than that back then, right? Surely they didn't just give him a completely random name when the original, Barrel, was just fine and every other language got a different pun. It's so clear and obvious that you're going to keep arguing it to your dying breath, so surely, surely you have a better explanation than "lol this is just the one time they changed something and it meant nothing totally random."

No one would be stupid enough to stubbornly deny the obvious with no ideas on alternative interpretations, right?

It's good, but nah. It doesn't have the gratuitous Engrish that makes the show.

BASED conspiracy theorist.

there are no swear words in japanese

That's because they have different swear words

Not him but who cares if the name is a reference to a real person? Did they change his story? Did they change his character? Also, no his original Japanese name isn't "just fine" as each language also changed the original name, as stated by you (nice double standard by the way). Barrel doesn't make a good name

>It isn't fine because they changed it.
Then we're giving everything a free pass as long as Nintendo changed it. Nice double standard (see how cheap that is?).

The point was that the localizers felt they needed to change it to a pun in all regions. To imply NA was the sole exception and that it was random nonsense is stupid. And the point of the whole conversation was that, yes, Treehouse did rename things to memes and change dialogue into pop culture references. Bobbery was just one of several examples, user just latched on to it because he didn't like it.

I wonder what you would think about the Ace Attorney series, where every single reference that can't be understood by non-japs gets replaced by hamburgers.

>snoyfags are THIS desperate now
E3 really must have fucked them up, how sad.

user people generally like Ghost Stories in English so you're gonna have to explain yourself here.

Fuck America. I understand school shooters now.

Nigger

This thread is a fucking rip.

You morons are fucking hilarious

This.
Seeing snoyfags COPE is fucking great.

Still a personality and its funny
You should

It wasnt really a hit,man

translate this shit dumb nigger

this is the worst image ever ive ever seen