You are now responsible for making the CRPG to end all CRPG's. What do you design?

You are now responsible for making the CRPG to end all CRPG's. What do you design?

Attached: 61ZHWRKV6EL.jpg (402x500, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/vr/thread/5402232#p5408278
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Well to begin with it won't be rtwp

turn based
deep class system
no gay romance
not open world

>all NPC's can be raped by the player and other NPC's. all females can be impregnated, some males can be impregnated and some females can impregnate with futacocks and/or ovipositors.

>semen, vaginal discharge, farts, milk, and gamer girl pee are all important resources that can be harvested

>monstergirls are actually monsterous. includes 20 foot long snekgirls, hulking ogresses, vicious centaurs, giant venomous spidergirls, and interdimensional beings.

not just the perfect CRPG but the perfect game.

Attached: VidyaPatrician.png (1456x1232, 977K)

Final fantasy tactics?

Nigga wtf

Attached: depression.png (512x402, 259K)

THAC0
Vancian magic

I like vancian magic but why thac0?

no please

>THAC0
Terrible. AC in general is a terrible idea, replacing it with seperate sane armour (reduction) and evasion stats was the best thing to ever happen to video game RPGS but official D&D games still insist on using table top rules that translate terribly to computer games.

If given unlimited funds, I would probably do big world with a variety of initial backgrounds and geographical locations for the MC to start in. There would be a plot with choices, companios and all the usual stuff but I would try to include options like siding with the big bad, replacing the big bad, ignore the big bad and go around rekting shit, somewhat timed events but no game over screen if you miss something because story just branches, detailed rape mechanics, etc. Also a nice touch would be designing all the stuff around roles instead of characters, so if someone gets killed due to direct MC shenanigans or indirectly due to supporting an enemy country that invader or whatever, another char can replace it and, even if it has different personality, it fills at least a similar quest giver function, or maybe it lets you tackle the quest in an alternative way.
Also magic will be OP. Sorry to all the bucket heads out there but if magic exists in a setting and lets you alter reality, it is only natural that people will flock to it. It's like complaining about assault rifles being OP against daggers. It is just the way it is, man.

The Age of Decadence with a better engine and multiple expansions and more hard divergences. Possibly an prequel expansion either a couple of decades before the original or in the golden age.

In any case cRpgs are limited by scope, you can't have a cohesive narrative and world if you overexpand it.

Also Game of Thrones crpg at the time of the Robert Rebellion; Same mechanics as AoD

I know nothing about baldurs gate but I want to play it, what do

Pirate it and play it, obviously. Just don't give beamdog a cent. Not only is cheaper for you, you are also doing a morally laudable deed.

>Wanting less content

Seek help m8

Attached: Ankhegs.png (640x480, 425K)

A CRPG with blackjack and hookers

underrail but fantasy

>that IWD2 goth elf
me too, user, me too

I copy paste BG2 since nobody likes new games and old games are apparently the best.

To hit armor class 0. The idea is that you're rolling a modified value centered on 0.
AC is evasion.

I had an idea revolving around a sci-fi setting.
Basic premise: you're reached the local FF7 Midgar and you get to choose whether you follow through with the first quest to join up with them as part of their mook guard force. That bit sends you running around doing standard quests and missions through a leveled job-board system like "clear out area x of mutants / haywire robots" and "go capture enemies of the state". However you have the options of being loyal, being standard evil backstabbing employee to climb the ranks, working on the sly to fuck up the evil stuff in their research divisions, or abandoning ship and having to survive being hunted as a traitor. What you do affects how NPCs in the city respond to you. The higher up you go in fame, the more likely people will recognize you. The more loyal you are or seem, the less likely some people will trust you.
Then there's other options like finding a terrorist/hacker organization to fuck up their shit, rival start-up company to either take over as a good guy variant or to take over in a bid for power, get pitched out into the slums (either for lack of job or getting caught stealing) and have to scrape by in spite of the gangs and semi-regular purges from the mentioned mook force, saying fuckit and leaving the city for some other place (which will have the plot eventually come your way as whatever major problem hidden in the city goes off the chain and starts to plague further reaching areas)...

I'm missing a lot of details. The idea just kept getting bigger the more I thought about it and it would be a bitch for one person to code to have everything react naturally to what you chose and how you acted.

just got to abizagails lair in my SCS insane difficulty playthrough, i'm so burnt out right now holy shit. ToB is such a grind. was ready to be done before the end of bg2. i think i'm not going to use SCS again, it just makes everything take so long and every fight becomes tedious because you just do the exact same thing over and over which is dispel enemy mage spell protections, then breach them, then kill them with swords. maybe you true sight if there are rogues or mirror images to dispel. the mage chess thing was fun through bg2 but now in ToB i'm sick of it and i'm resorting to spamming keldorn's dispel magic just to make things go a little faster.

the hardest fights were with vampires early on, because of the elder/ancient vampires scs makes you fight, and also the beholder lair in underdark was pretty fucked

tl;dr SCS mod is exhausting and reaches it's pinnacle halfway through bg2, after that it's just a tedious grind

This. Fuck Beamniggers.
Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones.

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

6. warosu.org/vr/thread/5402232#p5408278

Attached: Beamniggers.png (661x245, 39K)

Make it rtwp to upset the vocal minority of zoomers who demand turn based for a start

I know that you git, I'm saying it shouldn't be. It's a stupid mechanic that works terribly in computer games. Armour should reduce damage and wearing full plate shouldn't have the same effect as being really nimble and naked.

>too bad

how dense are these people?

Attached: Confused Angel.png (283x195, 89K)

Honestly, I'd love to blend the best of wrpgs and jrpgs into one, maybe get multiple different artists to do character designs so everything would have a unique feel to it. Have each one create the different races and locales and such, to make each distinct and unique.

Have multiple worlds like phantasy star with atleast five big cities areas in each. Have a unique main character but you choose his conversation choices and his actions and they have a meaningful impact in the game, like planescape. Turn based battle system with full control of the party, dragon age meets dragon quest essentially. Multiple different final bosses with their own multiple endings and conclusions.

I would love to do the best of both worlds.

>thing i don't like is what zoomers like
Zoomers aren't playing crpgs, and if they did they'd like rtwp because its just auto attacking so battles last only 15 seconds instead of over 5 minutes with turn based where you have to manage every party member.

>wizards use magical powers to rewrite reality in the same universe that fighters just hit things hard.

pleb tier, either go full grit or full anime with weeaboo fightan magic but don't pussyfoot around half assing it.

rtwp only means making trash mobs.
with turn-based developers actually have to put an effort into designing encounters as well

Why aren't you using PaintBG?

Attached: NImoenL.png (210x330, 158K)

His goal wasn't to make the crpg to end all crpgs, his goal was to piss off some people he doesn't like with his design decision. So his will fit right in with every other crpg.

A simulation of the universe.

the fuck is vatican magic

Or you could go the fallout route and have armor do both.

Because I'm using the Dungeon Meshi portraits. Sadly, Feldorn or whatever her name is doesn't have one, and she's easily the best divine caster for a good or neutral party.

>vatican magic

Attached: 520ed7c7fd4a23230b9a81a075449755034ed48dd01699bae6b8161c3f684a1c.jpg (255x227, 14K)

>maybe get multiple different artists to do character designs
I don't think that's a good idea, as artists tend to have very different styles that would easily make the game feel inconsistent. e.g. imagine Raita skeletons vs synecdoche fatties. inb4 mentioning FGO and proving my point.

Could work really well to differentiate different planes or worlds, especially if you have unique portraits for party members in certain situations.

Vancian magic. The system D&D uses where you have daily spell slots and you need to prepare the spells you want to use.

Vancian magic is based off the magic system that Jack Vance used in some of his fantasy novels.

Basically mages can only prepare a limited amount of spells, they can cast them once per prepared spell, and spells are generally very specific in what they do (a lightning bolt is a lightning bolt and you can't just limit it to enough electricity to charge your phone).

It was popularized in Dungeons and Dragons. It's used for game balance to make mages challenging and require strategy while also giving them crazy powerful spells that they use in a limited amount.

It doesn't have the same effect as being nimble. There are different nuances to the rules. The concept of hit points is hits, the idea of how many hits can be taken, the wording changed later. All abstraction it's not about representing real damage.

There is no significant difference in the way the dice are rolled or how the random numbers are generated. Either you pay the money and get the change or you pay the exact amount and get no change or you get change as you pay the money. Either way the end result is the same.

>wearing full plate shouldn't have the same effect as being really nimble and naked
It makes a lot of sense. One evades attacks by being fast, the other evades attacks by having them glance off from the armour. If someone manages to hurt you in armour, then he probably hit in-between the gaps where it didn't cover. Armour might additionally reduce damage (e.g. the gaps may still be padded and covered with patches of mail, making a successful attack less likely to go right through), but its primary purpose is to make certain parts of your body completely invulnerable.

It could work if you have an artist responsible for a very specific race, a very specific location, etc. - but the general character design should still be left to a singular artist, otherwise the styles would clash.

>armor as reduction
Literally never done well in any system ever.
Most of the time it still uses super-abstract D&D mechanics and then add that stupid shit on top.

>The Age of Decadence with a better engine and multiple expansions and more hard divergences.
This.

I feel like Vancian never ends up working very well in games.
It just incentivizes you to rest every 30 steps.

open world is good if handled right. fallout 1 comes to mind. i know AAA open world in recent years has tainted opinions on open world but it isnt impossible to be done well

>deep class system
like Ultima VII but with turn-based combat and make the interactions with the world even deeper. Also the ability to start with different origin stories in different parts of the world. That's something lacking in a lot of RPGs, different origins mainly serve as just a difference in stats or dialogue options.

Not enough RPGs focus on making the game world have a high degree of interactivity. Divinity:OS kind of gets there but doing everything in a menu kind of takes the fun out of it. I really like the sort of drag and drop gameplay of later Ultima games.

Do you lose much if you jump to PoE2 without finishing the first one

But when they're limited restings, like Unfinished Business did with Spellhold with Bodhi(was that UB or SCS?) people complain a lot. Personally when playing a game with that system I only rest once per map

The concept is of four cardinal types of magic. Based on different inspiration.

>long activation with lots of paraphernalia
Shakespeare and Robert E. Howard
>short spoken activation
Finnish folklore and Vance
>super powerful but unstable
deCamp & Pratt
>weak and ineffectual
Tolkien

The choice was for a Vance styled system with short and easy activation where the cost was loaded on mnemonic preparation and limitations. This allows for magic to have more impact that other actions but only in limited supply.

Trends in gaming eventually shifted to magic becoming just another mundane tool but alternative way of achieving the same things as actual mundane weapons. So in most games you have mana and magic you can spam endlessly but it's effectively just a different way to get the same result of a sword attack.

Which is better? You decide.

A game with a functional version of the Witch Hat Atelier magic system. Closest is probably Two Worlds 2.

Attached: Saz1vFR.png (621x334, 128K)

That system starts to have issues when different tactics and factors should come into play, unless you just throw up your arms and refuse to be realistic.

A knight charging you on horse back with a lance probably should do enough damage to punch through most armor. A heavy crossbow or longbow should have some punch through as well. The armor realistically might reduce some damage from being skewered to just an injury. A blunt strike may just bruise and stun and crumple some armor, but not do full damage to the person wearing it. Some weapons were used for being effective against plate like a mace, while they were also less good at hitting someone than a sword because they're typically less long and slower to maneuver. Plus armor could be damaged by maces, hammers, the spike of an axe, using a sword for mordhau, pole weapons, twohanded weapons, some jackass with the strength of a giant and the like. Some armors like mail give with blows and thus can reduce a big sword or ax swing to a more blunt impact, but the person underneath may have bruises, fractures, or a concussion from repeated hits.

Also it shouldn't be just armor that effects how easy you are to be hit. Armored knights could move pretty quick and still would dodge attacks that could stun them. Their ability to defend themselves via their skill at arms, and by forcing an opponent to play a little defensive as well by fighting are real factors.

underrail does it perfectly

Surprisingly there are rules for the things people claim where the system fails.

not really, you can build a save of the first one in game.

but as for the game itself compared to the first:

gameplay is better - story is far worse - setting sucks (though you may like being a pirate) - boat fucking ruins the pacing

its very disappointing in my book. obsidian's writing skills have had a very sharp decline recently. and every time i think of playing i shiver at the thought of boating around to tiny islands with fuck all but a few fights on them.
i just want to port the multi-classing into PoE1 and go back.

>That system starts to have issues when different tactics and factors should come into play, unless you just throw up your arms and refuse to be realistic.
I don't see it like that at all - on the contrary. A guy in armour is most likely to be killed by a lucky hit that circumvents the armour rather than being slowly scraped down hp by hp by someone blindly attacking his armour over and over again. A mere reduction doesn't model armour very well, because what armour effectively does is limit the opponent when it comes to the spots he can effectively attack, which makes a successful attack a lot less likely which is perfectly modelled by the concept of AC.

You can of course add further elements, e.g. add an armour rending property to certain types of attacks that will lower the AC or make certain attacks deal damage through armour, and so on - in fact, in D&D this does exist.

However, the basic property of armour is still allowing you avoid armour rather than merely alleviate the damage.

Attached: 1532918491512.jpg (1304x2219, 1.62M)

>However, the basic property of armour is still allowing you avoid armour rather than merely alleviate the damage.
By that I obviously meant: allowing you to avoid damage rather than merely alleviate it.

good trackers? piratebay smells like FBI to me

Attached: 1494473820446.jpg (680x1125, 163K)

Wild west sci-fi setting, sort of a Trigun ripoff
No party
No classes
Focus on complex system over understandable system
The sort of game where you could play for 30 hours before realizing you designed your character wrong

it fucks up balance because enemy mages have access to 100% of their spells when they fight you, but your mages are supposed to ration their spells to last the entire dungeon. what actually happens is that wizard players bitch and moan if they don't get to rest after every fight which makes their limiting factor not exist if you give in.

fallout 1 worked because the open world was just a map. when you actually have an open world that you run around in it's shit because you can't go 10 steps without tripping over a mini-dungeon.

the setting is way better and completely carries the game. it's probably my 4th favorite wrpg setting now. the only problem is that it's completely underutilized. the game is still better overall than the first pillars. I played through deadfire twice but I couldn't even finish the first game once.

2.6 patches for enhanced editions soon
>Some highlights on 2.6, since I’m sure you’re wondering what to expect: We’ve identified and fixed a number of performance problems, and believe we’ve also found a working solution to some particularly nasty pathfinding code that was causing rapid, nigh-infinite calls to our pathfinding system in large fights. Coupled with improvements to our pathfinding system (that we are in the process of verifying won’t break multiplayer - one of our major concerns when evaluating the pathfinding code) - and related fixes to character bumping, we have made positive strides to solving some of the more well-documented long-term issues. The squeaky wheel finally got the kick, if you will.

No mentions of the multiplayer crashes and item eating, and better pathfinding seems like it'll have minimal impact on PC since its a processing power issue.

>It just incentivizes you to rest every 30 steps.
Git gud I rested like 3 times in IWD.

Attached: Icewn002.png (1920x1080, 1.96M)

PoE 1 is intolerably shitty. The encounter design and fighting nothing but endless trash sucks all the fun out of it. Like a worse IWD. Everything else is nothing to write home about either.

The second game is at least fun to play. If it had good companions it would be pretty solid. And if balance man would calm down.

make a new system to replace magic

Except for Aloth do romances really not have good endings in PoE2?

I wouldn't know I refused to let anyone join my crew and hired custom characters. aloth died in a random scene later on kek.