Which do you prefer and why? I think Galaxy 2 is a better game, but 1 was more memorable

Which do you prefer and why? I think Galaxy 2 is a better game, but 1 was more memorable.

Attached: ae609602e1494054a6c0bf0fc15e0f22b638c0a5_00.jpg (512x365, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LPj70hX4-gk&t=23s
youtube.com/watch?v=W8ixpB2JD04
youtube.com/watch?v=6LDnsDuSimc
youtube.com/watch?v=W6VLtKUgHrE
youtu.be/kCsUjWpvKEY
youtube.com/watch?v=EuYNxzSFRk8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

2 is a better version of 1 so 2

2 is slightly better than 1, but 1 is more memorable because it was the first one

1 bas more open levels than 2 so I prefer 1

Hey Yea Forums
Look at the letters that have a shine on the cover of the first game

galaxy doesn't benefit from open levels due to how restricted the movement is compared to other 3D marios

1 has a cute story, 2 pushed the designs of the engine. I'd love to see well made kaizo stuff of Galaxy. The real problem though is that Galaxy 1 had to have it's story smuggled into it to avoid Miyamoto's autistic wrath. That's why Rosalina is the damsel in 2 and it's just a world map to select levels

the open levels in Galaxy 1 were too basic
even Sunshines levels had more going on
G2 had no bad levels, G1 did

1 had a better feel

I dont think a masterpiece like 1 had any bad levels, which ones are you thinking of?

Super Mario Galaxy (1) is the best Mario game of existence, and I can prove this with one clip
youtube.com/watch?v=LPj70hX4-gk&t=23s

i think i like 1 a bit more because of the better story and the music being also better than in 2

>i think i like 1 a bit more because of the better story

1 had the better hub but 2 was a better game imo

Imagine being wrong.

1 Is overall better in my opinion
Aside from Two just being a clone of One so it was less impressive, One had a much better hub world and Rosalina
Check fucking mate

Attached: output-onlinepngtools (3).png (440x584, 232K)

2 is a better game (levels, design, more "gamey") but 1 is a better experience and presentation.

Yea 1's ambience draws you in hard

Galaxy 1 is the better game because it's a more complete package. Galaxy 2 had some neat powerups and ideas, but 1 had a better soundtrack, better level themes, a better hub world, and a story that was actually worth something.

Attached: Chapter9-3.png (416x240, 86K)

2 has better gameplay but 1 had the better atmosphere, music, and story
There's something truly magical about 1 that 2 couldn't quite capture fully, only emulate.

>1 better music
2 has all the best tracks from 1 plus a ton of new great ones

I like how "mature" galaxy 1 felt. Like, fucking obviously it's Mario, but it still had a lost in space kind of feel. 2 tried to feel cartoony like NSMB but in 3D.

youtube.com/watch?v=W8ixpB2JD04
youtube.com/watch?v=6LDnsDuSimc

I prefer 1. I like the hub better, and I prefer the levels. Both are great games.

Are there any good Super Mario Galaxy mods?

I play SMG2 first and SMG later. I can say 1 was most charming and the observatory is better than the Mario head spaceship.

Only one off the top of my head is Neo Mario Galaxy. It's only 22 stars, but it's still worth a playthrough.
youtube.com/watch?v=W6VLtKUgHrE

Attached: cover-256.png (360x256, 127K)

1 is timeless, 2 is just another 3D Mario.

Objectively 1. 2 is just DLC made into a soulless game. If online DLC was a thing when SMG1 happened, there wouldn't have been a SMG2 and you know it. Or they could have just done what games like Sonic Mania or old SF games did, make a "definitive" version with the extra content.

So again, it's 1. One was a passion product, 2 is soulless cash grab. Of course it would have "been better" it was made after the first games practice run was done and the devs got the swing of things. That's not an argument. A real sequel would have be a direct continuation of the last game without being a shameless reboot to please Miyamoto's hateboner for plot in a Mario game.

Attached: 8166e2a69de8ae9692bb9d917738111f.jpg (1191x670, 82K)

Nintendo came right out and said they made 2 because they thought they had too many ideas for dlc.

Yoshi levels are shit so 1 wins, plus 1 is less linear

>Or they could have just done what games like Sonic Mania or old SF games did, make a "definitive" version with the extra content.
That's what Galaxy 2 was originally supposed to be. The original play was to make an expanded re-release of the original game called "Super Mario Galaxy +," with some new levels and additional content. However, when they saw that they were adding so many new levels and features, Nintendo decided to take advantage and call it Galaxy 2 instead, and re-orient development towards a full-blown standalone release.

I remember preferring 1. It's been years though so I don't know why.

Attached: supermariosunshine_review.jpg (1000x750, 96K)

1’s atmosphere and spectacle were top fucking notch, but 2 has better level design overall. I love them both and I could go either way.

Cringe.

2 is more 2D which I like but the production in 1 is obviously better and there's more to the planets.

I wish they made a remix that mixed both in HD for the switch or something, it would be unironically kino

>Nintendo came right out and said they made 2 because they thought they had too many ideas for dlc.
Topkek. That's such tripe with games like TF2/AHiT being a thing. But tbf, this was 2007 before TF2 even happened. But that goes back to my point, if DLC as of today existed back then (which it did, but it was PC exclusive being called Expansion Packs) then SMG2 wouldn't have been the choice outside of shilling it as a new game.

And calling it a new game when it was barely new and was just DLC: the game, it just felt like a more soulless product.

>soulless
nigga what

Oh, and I forgot to mention 1 has better music too.

You forget that Nintendo is behind the times when it comes to DLC and online content. The Wii had 4 Pay & Play titles, but Nintendo didn't start doing first-party DLC until the Wii U and 3DS. Not to mention the fact that the Wii only had 512MB of internal storage, meaning that there would have been barely any space to add the new textures, models, and level data.

LA?

Galaxy 2 made some refinements to the gameplay and level design, but Galaxy 1 felt more grand and had a better atmosphere. The music between both games was pretty equal to me. My biggest issue with Galaxy 2 was I felt it had too many mini-game type stars, or too many gimmicks that detracted from the platforming. There were some really cool levels in Galaxy 2 and it disappointed me that it only had 1 or 2 stars rather than 3 like in Galaxy. It's close but I think I'd have to choose Galaxy because of the amazing first impression it had on me. I hardly looked up anything about it before buying because I wasn't keeping up with games at the time.

Attached: thinking odyssey mario.png (413x540, 240K)

I like 1 more but 2 was nowhere near a downgrade. Besides you can play some of the bosses of 1 in 2 which is nice because I really like the Bouldergeist fight

Just play 2 if you want pure action or play the first one if you want the cinematic feeling.

>If online DLC was a thing when SMG1 happened, there wouldn't have been a SMG2 and you know it.
Wrong. Botw is getting a sequel because what they wanted to make was too much for DLC. Same goes for Galaxy 2. Galaxy 2 had just as much brand new content as the first Galaxy.

Galaxy 2 easily. Galaxy 1 only has the presentation and atmosphere going for it. It's mediocre in every other area.

Attached: 1468798578993.png (392x379, 105K)

>Botw is getting a sequel because what they wanted to make was too much for DLC
Yet the story instantly looks like a proper continuation of the last game, instead of a reboot. At least I hope so.

Galaxy 2 had no story because Miyamoto had an autistic fit after he caught the team hiding the storybook in Galaxy 1. If Miyamoto was a little more reasonable with Koizumi, let him take some liberties, and let him add to the story that was in Galaxy 1, we could have ended up with something that was even better.

Attached: 1533840561322.png (1000x750, 299K)

People don't understand how important setting a mood and atmosphere is. You look at all the most beloved games and you'll find common threads across genres.
Galaxy 1 is the better package because it took care to set that groundwork.

The one without the empty hub that took ages to traverse.

2 in isolation, but would you say a student who copied their friend's essay and made slight adjustments to improve it really deserves a better score?

Galaxy 1 all the way. Better levels, better atmosphere, better soundtrack. It feels like a complete thought, the result of genuine effort to make something that wasn't just a new level pack.
Galaxy 2 has a lot less creativity and a lot more SMW- and SM64-pandering, along with the worst implementation of Yoshi outside of maybe Sunshine's. There's a couple of bright moments (Diggaleg, Melty Monster Galaxy), but I'd rather play a Godfather Saga-style combination title than actually replay SMG2 proper for those too-limited high moments.

This.
2 wins with level design, 1 leaves a stronger impression with atmosphere and visual design. 2 just doesn't feel like you're in space too often.
Plus 2 has the negative effect of coming out later, so the initial surprise and wow factor of the concept was long gone.
youtu.be/kCsUjWpvKEY
4:50 is a standout moment for me, and one of the only times that 2 reaches the simple but effective atmosphere of 1. Most of the levels are just mismatched platforms and blocks floating around, which is a shame.
But on a moment to moment basis, 2 is more fun because the levels are much tighter.

Attached: 1556099000626.jpg (750x730, 77K)

>Rosalina's story had to be pretty much snuck past Miyamoto into the game
>It's one of the most memorable parts of Galaxy

Rosalina has a huge following, and I'm pretty sure most people who played Galaxy appreciated the storybook. I don't get why Miyamoto was so pissy about it.

Attached: 1533687638981.jpg (1834x1864, 1.58M)

I still pick up and play Galaxy 2 and have fun completing levels. Galaxy 1 is a chore in comparison. Rosalina’s Observatory is so boring and painful to move around in compared to Delfino Island or Peach’s Castle. The game is devoid of anything remotely challenging. 2 is an easy game but 1 is so braindead I almost fell asleep while playing it.

Rosalina was also a big fucking mistake. Another lazy Peach clone who’s only shoved into everything because she’s Koizumi’s waifu.

He just hates any story beyond the minimum in Mario games for some reason, so any emotions beyond happy good time isn't really allowed.

>2 is an easy game but 1 is so braindead I almost fell asleep while playing it.
Disagree. The only remotely challenging levels in Galaxy 2 are all saved for World S, which is considered "post-game."
>[Rosalina is] another lazy Peach clone who’s only shoved into everything because she’s Koizumi’s waifu.
Did you even read the storybook?

Not him, but the first Bee level was lame. Actually all the bee levels were lame but Galaxy 2 made them linear so they didn't last too long.

>Did you even read the storybook?

Yeah and she's a fanfic tier oc donut steel.

Sure smells like seething Peachfag in here. Nintendo sees that Rosalina consistently sells licensed out merchandise. You think she's everywhere now? Wait until the old bastard that hates her is gone.

Attached: Shit eating grin.png (1920x1080, 1.01M)

What about the story makes it "fanfic tier"? Why are you calling her a clone when they put some effort into differentiating her in her debut game?

We can all agree that Buoy Base Galaxy has the best music in the entire Mario series, right?

Close, but no cigar.
youtube.com/watch?v=EuYNxzSFRk8

Attached: 1539143528214.png (1050x1400, 2.1M)

Beat me to it.

Attached: 1558145688995.gif (960x836, 231K)

Galaxy 1 was a cake walk. I didn't find it very fun because I wasn't being challenged. The most deaths I had on a level was like 5. Galaxy 2 you actually had to pay more attention to what you were doing. It takes everything Galaxy 2 did and does it better.

Bros... what does it mean? I'm scared.

Attached: Sky_trees_2.png (303x211, 26K)

>effort
>I'm Peach but goddess of the universe
>effort

I'll bite.
How is she Peach?

Attached: 584077108884668426 (1).png (128x128, 21K)

I say effort because Koizumi actually gave her a story and a reason to introduce her as a new Mario character. The story, the Luma family and their role throughout the cosmos, and the way she was introduced all make sense for the game. It wasn't forced at all, and it feels like her addition is justified by the end of the game.

Attached: 1536045734861.png (615x600, 707K)

Based

Attached: 1561343129756.png (800x880, 801K)

>played this way back then and didn't really understand the significance of this scene
>now rewatching it I'm awestruck and saddened at the same time
What is this feel lads

I remember crying when I first saw this scene. I still shed a tear to this day.

Attached: fine.jpg (442x650, 190K)

1 had a better hub world and had better "aesthetics" which made it feel special

but 2 was better in every other way

Attached: 1538300608294.png (2560x1440, 2.63M)

How the fuck is she Peach, she's not bubbly and hasn't been captured ONCE, which is impressive considering Bowser stole all the power from her ship and rendered her almost powerless

>hasn't been captured ONCE
Not him, but the Observatory is held captive by a gravitational pull from the Galaxy Generator at the end of Galaxy 2.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

I like sunshine.

And now she races cars

And looks good doing it

Attached: 1555988052983m.jpg (1018x1024, 110K)

She was added in Mario Kart Wii, and later in Smash Bros because Galaxy was THE Mario game for the Wii, and she was the most prominent character from that game. Nowadays, Nintendo adds her in every Mario spin-off to represent that era. Admittedly, it does feel like they're taking away her character with the newer games. 3D World and Mario Kart 8 in particular changed her voice actress, and she sounds a lot more like Peach now.

Attached: 1538886498176.png (474x277, 531K)

galaxy 2

Mercedes Rose will remain the voice of Rosalina for me, but I will admit Kerri Kane does a very nice job in smash. I don't like Laura Faye Smith Rosalina at all.

Attached: rosalina_by_imoamaoimmoamim_dda0ezj-pre.png (920x869, 747K)

A lot of Kerri Kane's voice clips in Smash were re-used from Mario Kart 7. Only a few of them were new recordings made for Smash.
I miss Mercedes Rose. I don't think Nintendo will reverse their decision to change Rosalina's voice actor, but her voice in Galaxy 1 and Mario Kart Wii was perfect.

Attached: 1538020781658.jpg (612x612, 477K)

2 is better but 1 had more style.

Well that's upsetting.

Attached: 1558972490693.jpg (900x1250, 106K)

The games were both about the same to me in terms of gameplay and level design, so 1 edges out 2 because of the better story and atmosphere.

Yeah, her Star KO scream is the same as when you'd fall down a pit in MK7. And her Up B voice is just the sound she'd make when using a Mushroom/Boost Pad.

Attached: 1544581856981.jpg (1600x2134, 328K)

The "DURR FIRST EXPERIENCE" meme is absolute dogshit

Do you know much bullshit missions are repeated a gorillian times in galaxy 1?
Galaxy 1 has 15 fucking purple coin missions, and %90 are the same scenario

Galaxy 1 introducing Rosalina doesnt make it the better game

That's like saying Sonic 06 was good because SIlver

Are you trying to imply that Luigi's Purple Coins and Purple Coins in the Bone Pen are the same level? Just because the Purple Comet stars have similar objectives doesn't mean they're the same level.

Attached: SMG_Ghostly_Galaxy_Purple_Coins.png (1600x876, 1.25M)

bruh don't go to a sonic thread.

People straight up do that now, they stop short of calling sonic 06 good but they think it's "underrated" and "could have been a masterpiece if they had more time".

>Do you know much bullshit missions are repeated a gorillian times in galaxy 1?

Attached: Greenstar.png (449x479, 130K)

Galaxy 2 is only as great as it is because of Galaxy 1 already happening, it's a compliment game, we can't separate them

The only real problem is that it used too many cloud backgrounds instead of stars

Yeah, it's obvious even on the box art and title screens. It's like they threw the space aesthetic out the window and 2 and only kept the Star Bits and gravity mechanics.

1 had better galaxies and extra content. 2's green star hunt was underwhelming.

I feel like you guys are just making baseless claims about Miyamoto with no real evidence to back them up.

1 for sure.

The entire thing that ruins 2 for me is the classic mario level select screen with the ship. Sure it's just a different sort of menu system, but the way you traversed 1's ship felt more impactful for some reason.

Yfw impactful is flagged by Yea Forums's spellcheck. So is spellcheck. Kek

Yea Forums doesn't have built-in spellcheck. It's either Chrome, Firefox, or your phone OS that's doing it for you.

1 is better
2 is a weird level pack
In many ways, the people that prefer 2 played 2 before 1

Attached: e3fh9hf3ju731.jpg (1200x1200, 1.16M)