Final Fantasy

Just started this. I love blue mages so I hope Quistis is good. What am I in for Yea Forums?

Attached: DbHp6icVwAAxG7w.jpg (1806x1729, 398K)

Other urls found in this thread:

finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Para-Magic
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Quistis is a good blue mage. The plot and writing though, not so great.

A script that has had people arguing about it for aeons and will probably confuse the fuck out of you as you play it. Great OST though, be sure to turn the volume up for any fights, especially bosses.

yeah I'm not really sure what to think. I had a pretty good idea what the other games were about but I know nothing about this one. Usually it isn't the plot that sticks with me but the mechanics. V is my favorite just because of the job system. I finished FF7 tonight and I was only thinking about how materia compared to espers and that sort of thing. I guess I'm asking are the mechanics in 8 cool?

Attached: 5108f6b72d4588b6eda20372f6f64f1c.jpg (510x730, 128K)

Writing and plot are still better than FF7, 9, 12, 13, 15

You don't have to waste time grinding because enemies level up wiht Leon like an elder scrolls game. It's pretty short for 4 discs

Attached: 44644730_381489659059384_8893901882100158829_n.jpg (1080x1244, 64K)

not usually a fan of level scaling, what about the super bosses?

8 has very cool mechanics. The only people who it makes seethe are brainlets that can't understand the junction system.

7 and 9 definitely have better plots and writing. 12 is a wash.

Lmfao no. 8 is for story and music. Mainly music.

lol so which is it

If you've done an IQ test and it's above average you'll enjoy it

FF8 has a stigma of having overly complicated mechanics, but that's mostly just because they weren't explained well. Basically you equip summons, and those summons have abilities that your characters can then use once equipped, the most important being junction. Junction abilities allow you to equip spells to each of your stats, and each stat has different compatibility with different spells. HP for instance will see a much larger boost with cure spells than with fire. You can also junction elemental effects or status effects to your regular attacks for fun. The other thing is that magic spells are quantified resources like potions (up to 100 spells) rather than cast from an MP pool. So if you use up all your fire spells, you gotta get more by drawing them from enemies, static sources in the world, or crafting them from items or cards (using refine abilities from summons). The drawback top this system is that using spells junctioned to your stats directly makes those stats weaker since there are now fewer spells junctioned. But overall, you really don't have to pay too much attention to that and just junction whatever makes you STRONGEST. Also, don't grind as it'll just end up making enemies stronger. Instead you'll just want to get better spells for junctioning. Beating the game at lvl 1 is a legit strategy and not a novelty challenge playthrough like it would be in most games.

All that aside, Triple triad is a boss mini game and better than the actual game itself. There's a reason why they brought it back for FF14.

Lol, no 7's writing is way too overrated. 9's writing is ok at best

Attached: 1548645733369.png (799x799, 951K)

Mechanics in 8 are fine, the problem is getting large amounts of mats for junction. Which takes a bit of grinding. Use the one card ability to destroy cards (Make sure they aren't rare/unique cards though unless you're nearing the end and don't care) for magic/items IIRC.

hey thank you for this I actually play a bit of 14 and I'm familiar with triple triad, also thank you for the excellent mechanic summary kind of exactly what I was looking for.

8 has some unique and cool mechanics but it sacrifices other things in order to make those mechanics work. The opportunity cost is too high

I played this as a kid and only got through the first disc. Is there a way to play through fast without grinding?

>I know nothing about this one
You've been on the internet about video games, let alone final fantasy and this place and Ultimecia was never spoiled for you? Neat.

You don't need to grind in this game, in FF8 everything levels with you.

Attached: 1561894688140.jpg (1000x1150, 147K)

>1st disc
Holy shit, this is so damn cool! All these place designs and setting and the plot actually makes sense for once in a JRPG.
>discs 2-3-4
The fuck happened?

It’s a really fun ride with a plot that totally falls apart in the end but I look past it because the rest of the game is really fun. Best first disc of any FF from 7-9 (the ones that had multiple discs).

I like VIII but,
>"Writing and plot are still better than FF7, 9, 12, 13, 15"
is retarded. You might be right on 13, but VIII's story is horrendous.If anything, it deserves the remake over VII just so Square could fix the stories, make your party useful and fix their broken Junction system.

Extremely broken but fun mechanics (junction), lots of tedium (drawing magic), a love story you'll either love or hate, and an excellent soundtrack. Also, make sure to not grind levels at all, like seriously it'll ruin the game for you.

>You've been on the internet about video games, let alone final fantasy
it's your mistake to assume that people talk about final fantasy that isn't 7 in a way where a casual viewer not deliberately trying to read up on the subject is going to encounter it

You don’t need to grind in modern FF games if you’re just trying to get through the story. Do side quests and get the items on the map and you won’t need to grind and it’ll still be easy.

Wait for that remake, senpai.

Fun fact RWBY only exists because Monty Oum's favorite FF was 8 and he loved it a ton. It's why RWBY has so much similar stuff:

>School to train warriors to defeat evil
>Gunblade weapons
>Evil Sorceress major part of plot

Attached: 1541040875034.jpg (1054x670, 95K)

oh no I've seen the ultemecia is rinoa stuff but I really only know surface level stuff I don't know where the game is or what everyone's motivations are or why it takes place in a school, stuff like that.

I was considering this but I'm kind of a vanilla fag

>Writing and plot are still better than FF7, 9, 12, 13, 15

of those games, 8 only has better writing than 13 and 15

Ah, then go for it and please enjoy. FF8 is one of my fav in the series.
Can't wait for remaster for them sweet sweet models.

>Wait 15 years for a remake

FF7 is being divided into a fucking trilogy man, do you have any idea how long that shit is going to take to get done first?

>oh no I've seen the ultemecia is rinoa stuff

and you can ignore it because Square debunked it

>7 has better writing than 8
lmao
FF7 fags are beyond deluded

I'm sorry, I meant to say remaster.
FF8 sure as hell ain't getting a remake, nor do I want one.

I am playing 8 on my switch emulating tho, I like to be able to take it to bed or my balcony or play on my TV. I'll probably get the remaster when it drops tho!

Do you believe in FF6 at least?

>FF8 sure as hell ain't getting a remake, nor do I want one.

Especially with how FF has been treated in recent years.

Hell, if FF7 is a complete fuckup I might swear off Square Enix forever, outside of DQ

>I might swear off Square Enix forever
good
>outside of DQ
You're a fucking idiot and have no integrity whatsoever

Dude, FF7 remake isn't getting completed until like 2023 or some shit. And FF8 was even longer than 7 was and has way more stuff that could and would be expanded on, making it an even bigger project. Do you even want that?

Have fun, man. Enjoy that wonderful music.

>You're a fucking idiot and have no integrity whatsoever

DQ is like the only Sqaure series that has reminded with consistent quality. Sure, they are generic as fuck but they do it will

I want to believe SE won't fuck up FFVII remake just because they know how much is riding on it. Like after seeing how most of their recent AAA titles have been utter failures, I don't think they can afford another one at this point. Of course this is just me looking for an excuse to believe they won't screw up one of my favorite games ever, but we all know what modern Square Enix is capable of.

Kill yourself.

The worst of the PS1 trilogy. Completely unlikable characters. The best soundtrack in the whole series which is tragic.

FF6 dude, I said FF6!!!

>tfw FF5 and 6 didn't get remakes on the 3DS
>Matrix got cucked into making the shitty mobile ports instead
We live in the worst timeline

I'd rather have a big magical wonderful 5 game

12 and 13 are literally miles ahead of 8 in writing

Pfft

Attached: 1561818929722.jpg (1402x1524, 307K)

no wonder it's trash, now I get it

>a decade ago
>FFIII remake gets made for DS
>wow, this is actually pretty cool, I wonder if they will redo others like this?
>FFIV remake gets made for DS, with voice-acting and lotsa other stuff
>wow, I can't wait for when my favorite FFV gets the same treatment
>iPhone, mobile cashgrabs and half-assed ports then happen instead of respectful remakes with tons of new content
It does feel like I woke up in a wrong timeline at some point

Attached: contemplation.gif (158x157, 2.2M)

Takes one to know one.

Fucking this, I've been waiting for a 5 & 6 remake since they remade 3 & 4 on the DS. It's almost a crime that the definitive versions of these games are still the SNES originals.

>SNES originals
I disagree, GBA versions did much better. Better graphics, better translations, more content. One could argue that sound gets muffled but it's easy to overlook this and you get used to it after an hour or so already.

Just play gba 5, it has its own undeniable charm

I'm saying that FF7 is gonna take forever to get finished. Do you want FF6 to be split up into multiple parts over the course of 5000 years, too?

it's my favorite by far and the only one whose story I absolutely love.

I've replayed it like 6 times in my life already. And definitely will replay again some time later.

>Dead gook likes a shit game and made a shit series
And?

The graphics aren't better at all, they suffer from the extremely washed out palette every gba game has, not to mention the much lower resolution. The only thing the gba versions have better is the extra content, but having worse sound and graphics I don't think they can be called the definitive experience.

Unironically the best FF game

Your death will elicit cheers.

you never need to draw magic from enemies, draw should only be used for GFs and world map draw points

refine your magic from cards and items using GF abilities

be careful that you can easily break the game doing this, like oneshotting everything until disc 4 whil having thousands of hp

Serious: Would FF12 have been a top 3 Final Fantasy game if they made Ashe the protagonist & removed the MMO elements?

Probably.
That battle system was fucking horrid.

Make Basch the protagonist and pronounce characters' motivations and story arcs better. MMO elements are fine.

its okay except drawing magic can get tedious as fuck (do remember to try to draw from bosses, they sometimes have GF to draw), enemies scale with your level so leveling up actually makes the game harder and the game can be broken pretty easily if you know what youre doing (however i did not break it on first playthrough)

Yes but only if they bring back the Dungeon Crawling & mature tone from Vagrant Story

FFXII is easily top 5 FFs if you ignore the story. The battle system isn't that bad and is improved a ton in the zodiac version.

FF VIII is my first FF in the series back when FFx2 got released, i still remember seeing a trailer for that game on tv. i didnt really bother myself in trying the FF series at that time because i thought all the FF games are connected story wise. but then my friend gave me his copy of FFVIII and i freakin love it, im actually baffled that people on Yea Forums thinks that the system is confusing because it didnt confuse me at all.

FFVIII will always be my #1 FF game because it is the game that made me invested through the franchise and basically the game that drove me to play the older games and future FF games

This'll get you well off the ground, but things like Flare, Ultima, and Full-life are agony to get with cards.

Is 12 the best square ENIX final fantasy?

Attached: 3ab4cbfb100acdfc02ed3d31644cfff7.jpg (1654x2126, 568K)

it's the best ps2 final fantasy

Here is my pitch for Final Fantasy 16, would you be buy it Yea Forums?
> 1: Set in the Ivalice universe
> 2. Dark, Mature Atmosphere without being needlessly edgy
> 3. 100 % medieval fantasy setting
> 4. Female Protagonist, Progressively ages over the course of the story like Link in OOT
> 5. Complete Mod Support
> 6. Bravely Default style Job System
> 7. Fully customizable Encounter rate like in Bravely Default
> 8. Chrono Trigger combat system
> 9. No mandatory Stealth, Monster Slaying or Fetch Quests.
> 10. Multiple Endings like Chrono Trigger, that encourages replayability
> 11. Recruitment System like Suikoden's star system
> 12. Moderate main story length (30-35 hours) without horrible pacing like most FF games
> 13. Well Written villains with motivations that go beyond the stereotypical "Destroy/Rule the World or Comically evil Psychopath" plot
> 14. Hub-worlds with tons of secrets, alternate routes & worthwile side content instead of a huge open world
> 15. No Censorship, Microtransactions or Paid DLC
> 16. Return of the Active Time events from Final Fantasy IX

I want to know what the best final fantasy post merger is

Attached: da5af00adfe9353460c1ec08d33a057d.png (1000x1000, 508K)

My vote goes for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light

I've really only played 14 post merger

Attached: 318da5435a0ac522b80d2bcd756a7e03.jpg (1440x1296, 173K)

Shit game. Worst Final Fantasy.

>because Square debunked it
You mean Square-Enix? In an era where Sakaguchi was not there anymore? That's not a debunking you fucking retard.

OP here, good to know it was Enix and not Square to debunk it

Attached: 0802e82fe925b0033efe88b7289d5cb4.jpg (600x819, 52K)

Yeah do not believe that retard, it can neither be proven nor debunked because the people who originally worked for VIII are not there anymore, and they wouldn't be able to make an official statement outside of the company, so the story is left open to interpretation, which adds its own charms to it.
Play it with that mindset, and you will enjoy it more.

A major problem I had with FFVIII's system was how it wasn't really rooted that well within the setting. What is "drawing" even supposed to be? And the balancing isn't really good either. It all seems so gimmicky and pointless. When I first beat the game as a kid I did literally nothing but spam GFs; I never even upgraded my weapons because I missed out on the items necessary, yet due to level scaling this wasn't really an issue. Not to mention the plot, which I even back then thought was pretty dumb.

>Writing and plot are still better than anything
>Leon

Attached: (You).png (640x360, 272K)

i really really like her

Attached: 53d68a8002451c0e999d47de9a3192a1.png (612x1000, 520K)

Attached: 1547097883548.jpg (536x400, 31K)

It's not overly complicated, it's just completely fucking broken. You can easily become incredibly overpowered without even trying. You have to deliberately ignore things like magic refining for the game to be even slightly challenging.

Selphie is my wife.

Attached: beb3a80f974dc08b080b7f403453df27.jpg (768x1024, 351K)

>A major problem I had with FFVIII's system was how it wasn't really rooted that well within the setting. What is "drawing" even supposed to be?

>Para-Magic (疑似魔法, Giji Mahō?, lit. Pseudo Magic) is the term used to define the "magic used by regular humans" in Final Fantasy VIII. Magic can only be used naturally by a sorceress, or via a Limit Break or a summoned Guardian Force.
>Because ordinary people cannot use magic without the use of one of these, Dr. Odine developed Para-Magic. By studying a sorceress, he devised a way to manipulate energy to replicate spells. The would-be spell caster must "draw" a spell from an enemy or from a draw point. Using this drawn energy, the person can manipulate the energy in the battlefield to cast the spell.

finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Para-Magic

she seems cool

Attached: __irvine_kinneas_selphie_tilmitt_and_zell_dincht_final_fantasy_viii_and_etc_drawn_by_lasterk__f2dca3 (759x1075, 207K)

FF8 has a surprising amount of lore that's only in the tutorial/database menu. Just another of its many missed opportunities.

That still does not explain what "drawing" is though. So people can't cast magic yet they can "draw" magic out of the fauna they encounter? Isn't drawing itself some kind of supernatural ability that needs to be explained somehow? And why is magic stuck inside these creatures in the first place? Not to mention the wonky aesthetics of wasting combat turns in order to draw magic out of enemies rather than attacking them.
To me it seems like the people who designed the combat and the people who wrote the story rarely talked to each other.
Also, in comparison with earlier Final Fantasy games the world always felt pretty empty to me and the world-map looked kinda same-ish. Especially in comparison with FFVII where you visited so many different locations.

A mistake we find repeated in a lot of modern western RPGs like PoE, where devs think codex entries that will nobody ever read make up for a lack of storytelling.

I beat the game a couple different times and I have no idea wtf happened, something stupid about time compression, it makes no sense, the game is still fun though but trying to care about stories written for 14 year olds well just doesn't work for me lol