Famous physics YouTuber says it is B

>Famous physics YouTuber says it is B
>A-theists still repeating the same invalid arguments
Dunning Kruger were right.

Attached: 1500683782955.jpg (636x714, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/531FKCzTX40?t=2675
youtube.com/watch?v=B19nlhbA7-E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

do you must make threads of you're too retarded to come up with something original for once?

kill yourself

Attached: 1560030799715.png (1545x959, 140K)

That's wrong tho

Attached: 1499474851756.png (1712x1752, 286K)

The Virgin programmer VS the Chad physicist

>THIS IS THE RIGHT ANSWER
>In a scenario involving impossible physics

Cool thought experiment, but there is no right answer.

Attached: 1528491225486.png (480x452, 222K)

It's fucking A, now end this meme.

-INTJ

It's a paradox since the box is both moving and not moving at the same time.

Attached: portals.jpg (700x4989, 649K)

>B fags don't understand basic thermodynamics and think energy just magically "appears"
>B fags don't understand the basic laws of gravity and think gravity just stops working on the cube the second the portal touches it
>B fags think that if the portal were to stop so that the cube were only halfway in, the cube would get magically sucked up and go flying out the other portal regardless
>B fags can't conceptualize that while the cube is transitioning through the portal, it is one object occupying two spaces at the same time, and is thus not technically "moving"
>"muh relativity"
There, now let's not have this thread again.

INTJ bro here, I always thought it would be A, expect if both platform are moving

Reminder that B posters are baiting you.

-This post made by Company Commander of the A Team

If both platforms are moving, it's B. It the bottom platform is moving, it's B. If only the top platform is moving, like in the image, It's A.

A literal, actual physicist already answered this
youtu.be/531FKCzTX40?t=2675
It's B

Attached: 1556998080458.webm (356x200, 209K)

Why is this so hard to understand for the Bfags?

How? If you look in the portal you see the cube rushing towards you.

Valve says it's A, it's their own fucking game, now stop posting this garbage thread

No Valve says it's B

>same tired, handwave "muh relativity" argument that doesn't address anything in or
nice appeal to authority, cocksucker. maybe next time you can tell us that it's B because your mommy said so.

based

If you are in a train moving at 400k/h and you're looking at the person next to you they appear stationary, so does that mean that you are stationary as well?

lol nice trampoline under the cube

It's more like you're rushing towards the cube, so if you sprinted by it and stopped, would it keep going?

How does the kinetic energy transfer from the moving plate with the orange energy to the box?
It doesn't. B cannot be true.

-engineer

And they more recently stated A, , kys

If one side of the portal is moving, then the space it moves across will be transported to the other portal, and it will pick up the momentum of the moving portal because after it cross over to the other side, more matter will be transfered right behind it, stacking into a pressure load that will put a vector of force on the at rest object equal to the rate of momentum it crossed through the portal space with, which in this instance would be the rate of the falling platform. making it b

And this wouldnt happen if the other portal was moving at the SAME speed and vector direction, then it would cancle out the extra force.

Attached: tard.png (900x1070, 131K)

But the cube is sitting on a platform. There's nothing behind it to accomplish what you're describing.

that's what i wanted to say, but i'm retarded and can't write proper English

How do you know it's not the whole room moving towards the portal?

It's A

>One person speaks for all at Valve

Attached: D1bnHzaWoAA0fFI.jpg (750x625, 32K)

> A fags don't understand basic physics and think objects are one big "whole"
> A fags don't think that the first atoms to pass through the portal would need to be "pushed" out of the way on the exit side by the next ones
> A fags think "no momentum means no momentum lol" and don't realize that this would result in a cube flattened to one atom thick because the first atoms to pass through cOuLdN't PoSsIbLy MoVe!1!

when an object moves through a pair of portals that are stationary, then the momentum is directly translated

through a ball throgh, it goes out the other side like nothing happened

If one portal moving and the other is stationary, then if I throw a ball into the stationary side at a slower pace then the other portal is moving, then the portal would OVERTAKE the position of the ball and it would come back. Meaning a moving portal is moving a volume of space across to the stationary side at the rate of its movement

total entry Momentum through one side == total exit momentum

Your post literally makes no sense.
But it's not your contrived attempts to seem smart that makes it fucking hilarious, it's the twitter speech you use right at the very end. Commit suicide.

Attached: 123597566264.jpg (452x452, 33K)

Red portal moves relative to blue portal.
This means that looking from the blue portal, the entirety of the universe is moving.
That is of course completely ridiculous, but if the assumption is that one portal is moving then you have to accept that the universe can move relative to itself without momentum, once the piston stops, the momentum is magically cancelled, however since the cube enters the portal, it is now in blue's frame of reference and its momentum is maintained, since objects that exit the portal with momentum conserve that momentum.
The sensible answer is to say portals can't move, but if they move, it's B.

There is no momentum added to the cube. You are overthinking things and looking at relative motion between the portal and the cube as if they were in a complete vacuum / absence of other things.

The cube is stationary relative to the room it is in, that's the velocity that matters. When it comes out the other side of the portal, it is still stationary relative to THE ROOM, just with a portion of it translated to another location within it.

If two objects were stacked on top of one another, and the moving portal engulfed the top one and stopped halfway down the bottom one, would the bottom one push the top one in the act of emerging?
The only sensible answer is "yes", since the alternative is that poking something through a portal, with, say, a stick wouldn't exert any force on the object you're poking.
Now, consider that every object is made of subatomic particles, each pushing and pulling each other. NOW do you understand B?

I think that if you moved portal A really fast towards the platform, then portal B would move an equivalent distance forward to compensate. I can't see how portals could move relative to each other, that would be as if the ether moved relative to itself which is impossible because the ether is spread out everywhere, without qualitative differentiation so to speak (inb4 fedoras who don't believe the ether exists). So in the end A is correct.

newton would've said B as well. Newton came up with the idea of intertial frames of reference in the first place.

I think o, because from the point of view of an observer, there was no imparting of momentum at all because like i said before, the ether is always everywhere stationary with regard to itself, which is why two portals moving in relation to each other cannot impart momentum to the object in question.

I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds like you're starting a religion.

"I think no" i meant to say of course. My bad

Why argue over something that will never exist in our lifetime? You're wasting precious seconds of life thinking about something that's impossible.

Go slam a hula hoop over a basketball outside right now and come back to me. Please. Just go do it and realize how fucking stupid you are.

holy fucking shit
If something that's in the act of passing through a portal couldn't exert force, the hard light bridges couldn't work, you fucking retard.
Ergo, objects passing through portals can exert force.
Ergo, poking something with a stick that's in the act of passing through a portal would work.
Ergo, the atoms composing an object would be able to push one another through a portal.

>in our lifetime
It will never exist period, since it's nonsensical.

Hula hoop:
> both ends moving at the same speed
Portal:
> One end moving at a different speed than the other
Not equivalent.

The ether exists everywhere and everything moves through the ether. So think of it like a 3-dimensional net that has the same sized meshes all over the universe. If you had a portal that connected to another portal somewhere in the ether, and you move one portal, then ether has to come out through the other portal, logically this seems obvious. Which means portal 2 is moving too

What's a "hard light bridge"?

>The ether exists
I'm going to have to ask for proofs here.

A hard light bridge is a canonical element in the portal games. A continuous, solid stream of particles that you can walk on. It is an OBJECT that exerts forces on OTHER OBJECTS while also being PARTWAY THROUGH A PORTAL.
Yes, the in-game demonstrations simply break when a portal attempts to move so that it engulfs a player, but hard light bridges have intentionally designed demonstrations within the game of their ability to EXERT FORCE WHILE MOVING THROUGH A PORTAL.

his explanation doesn't make sense

I argue that you can't have 2 portals moving at different speeds in relation to the other, because they are linked so that if you move one, the other moves to compensate. This seems to solve the issue, and prove that A is the correct choice.

The only answer that matters is the answer for the physics of the source engine because portals don't fucking exist.
is right

Well of course if both portals are moving the same speed, A is correct. Momentum can only be imparted on the object if there's a lack of equilibrium.

well tough shit because that's not what the question is asking

Ok so if I stand in the portal halfway as it’s coming down I’m gonna get launched like a rocket head first, and my legs won’t shatter in 1million places?

If both moved, the cube would still fly up relative to the exit, making it B. Retard

Yeah that seems to be correct.

Obviously not man, please learn basic physics. Relative to any given point, momentum was not imparted to the cube.

But the physics aren't impossible, its A

the collision fuck up because the cube isn't completely out before the wall and floor collide, validating a collision loop on the cube that is considered stuck for a few frames before it's bounced enough to fully get out

If you're reinforced well enough for the speed the portal's going to be launching you, yes.
After all, you would see yourself "emerge" from the exit portal at speed.

The correct answer is that there are no privileged reference frames, so the problem demonstrates that modern physics is incompatible with portals (as imagined by the game).

Why don’t we just mod the game and see what happens

Attached: 54DA3AFE-51CB-4823-8FB8-DC5AB86468AA.jpg (375x500, 44K)

Can any B supporters explain what happens if it stops halfway?

Holy fuck it’s A

you can't use any physics formula that requires distance when thinking with portals, since portals create non-linear connections with things, which breaks the logic that helped establish the formulas to begin with.

It gets half the momentum, since only half of the force gets through.
Why would it do anything else f = m x a

Obviously not, which is why A is the correct choice. A is compatible, even if the platform stops halfway.

The inertia of the portion of the cube that exited (which it gained by appearing to move on the exit side) is pitted against the gravity holding the non-passed-through portion of the cube down.

Oh boy, what a caveman-tier response. You really didn't think that one through, did you.

Attached: wojak brainlet 8.jpg (638x558, 106K)

GET
ABSOLUTELY
FUCKED

The relative movement argument in is also broken by non-moving portals as well. You could have a portal, box, person, portal in a straight line. If the person moves towards the rightmost portal, they will be simultaneously moving towards the box and away from the box at the same time.

Thermodynamics are also broken by non-moving portals. If you put a portal on the ground below a stationary object and one high up, the object would have somehow gotten the energy to that height. You can exploit this to create infinite electricity by continuously having something magnetic fall forever through a coil of wire.

So, arguments about relative motion and thermodynamics just let you conclude that portals can't exist, which isn't relevant to a universe in which they do exist.

What about my response is wrong, you dumb retard? The part of the cube on the exit side was moving, the part of the cube not on the exit side was not. It's the equivalent of your hands pulling the top half of the cube, the whole cube will still move, just less.

I'm a little surprised that people haven't really gone balls-to-the-wall and asked what happens if one portal is on the wall of that carnival ride, where you're in a circular room that spins and causes you to stick to the wall. Then you could mix the incomprehensible logic of portals with people's poor intuition for centripetal/centrifugal effects.

obviously the cube would rippen through the canvas

>The part of the cube on the exit side was moving
So riddle me this; Moving in relation to what?

Except in this case, the cube hits the back of the square platform instead of simply going right through.

someone dropped school hard holy shit.

Relative to everything else and also not moving relative to everything else.
Read the fucking thread.

You do realize that youtuber at the end said it all depends how the physical properties of a portal works. He didn’t give an answer. He just said if the portal works like this then its B if it works like this then its A. Imagine trying to shit on atheist just to absolutely get shut down again because you believe in a magic sky wizard. Have fun never having religion in science books buddy.

So if it was a person there instead of a cube that person would be ripped in two provided that the press stopped fast enough?
Thar feels quite far from normal portal mechanics.

Btards will never learn.

Attached: 1512483510119.jpg (640x640, 36K)

>The cube is moving but also not moving

Attached: wojak brainlet 7.png (485x433, 24K)

In relation to the exit portal. The floor under the exit portal. Moving in relation to the majority of the world around it. Ergo, moving.
If it weren't moving, the cube would fucking disappear when the entry portal slammed down around it, you ignorant retard.

>>B fags don't understand basic thermodynamics and think energy just magically "appears"
Even static portals dont conserve energy, and they don't conserve momentum relative to the environment. Why would moving portals care about those things? I swear A fags are the lazy students who got asleep in Physics and just vaguely remember something about conservation of energy and momentum and they fail to grasp that even static portals break those.
>>B fags don't understand the basic laws of gravity and think gravity just stops working on the cube the second the portal touches it
Gravity is obviously going to affect the falling arc of the cube as it shoots from the portal. This does not typically warrant a mention in the diagram because of how trivial it is.
>>B fags think that if the portal were to stop so that the cube were only halfway in, the cube would get magically sucked up and go flying out the other portal regardless
The half that has exited the cube would pull the other part using its momentum/inertia since it is moving out of it. There's nothing magical but simple physics.
>>B fags can't conceptualize that while the cube is transitioning through the portal, it is one object occupying two spaces at the same time, and is thus not technically "moving"
"Transitioining" at a given speed means moving.

Probably no.
From everything we can observe, the momentum of everything through the blue portal magically stops as soon as the red portal stops moving.
ie: everything on the side of the red portal gets its momentum cancelled, everything that exited keeps its momentum. So the momentum of the forward part would be maintained, pulling the person forward.
It wouldn't rip the person in half, if the momentum of half gets cancelled it would be more like something tugging on the rear part.
Although I guess if the speed is high enough breaking would occur because of inertia.

>The floor under the exit portal
WRONG
The cube is stationary in relation to the ground under the exit portal. Because the exit portal is moving. It has to move if the entry portal is moving, otherwise this whole portal shit doesn't work.

The square is not moving at all. The portal is moving. What’s making the square fly out? Nothing is moving the square. Seriously if you think it is B you’re a brainlet.

Gravity doesn't stop momentum
Retarded explanation

He's wrong. Einstein doesn't invalidate the laws of motion.

This
/thread

The portal is moving the square.

The fucking diagram literally displays that the entry portal is moving and the exit portal isn't.

Attached: 1534815589379.gif (290x705, 302K)

>only in one perspective the box moves
>Every other perspective the box doesn't move
>Therefore the box moves
Explain this one you atheist scum.

The diagram is wrong then, lmao. I could write a diagram of me fucking your mom, that still doesn't make her fuckable.

It's because when you move through a portal you conserve momentum.
Because of that the cube has to move.

Okay, how does the square come out of the exit portal then?
What's that? It moves?

> Box moves in every perspective by the time it starts exiting the portal
> Therefore the box doesn't move

That's not how inertial frames work, faggot

Except the cube didn't move through the portal, the portal moved to envelope the cube. Major difference.

in reality by logic it must be A.
simply because there is no force on the thing.
The movement is the room itself.

If it stopped violently enough? Yeah. Nothing in the games indicates otherwise.
Portals don't negatively affect the integrity forces within a passing object, though, so a moderate stop of the portal wouldn't be fatal. Think falling from a small height and grabbing to something to break your fall and get hanging. If the stop is harder it wouldn't be pretty.

The box is not moving, everything around the box is moving. If you cannot grasp this concept then I truly feel bad for you.

There is no difference. It would be the same situation if the pistons were on the side of the cube.
Relative to the portal, the cube is moving, which is what matters.

>durrr if you move the whole universe around something it's not actually moving because there's no force acting on it

The cube has no momentum

If everything around the cube is moving then the cube is moving. Speed is relative.

Its A the box is not in motion just the press isnt.

If the box was in motion it was B

now reminder video games are fucking gay
trump will win 2020
women should have never been given the right to vote
and yes sub Saharan Africans are in fact genetically inferior

Attached: pepe.jpg (400x400, 58K)

That's the same fucking thing.

No you imbecil, nothing can move in relation to a portal. A portal is just an opening, it is like the space in a doorway, not the actual doorway. If the cube moves through the portal, then the cube conserves momentum. If the portal moves to envelop the cube, it also moves to envelop all of the space that surrounds the cube.
Moving through a portal is just like moving through a doorway.

The movement of the portal doesn't matter.
The cube comes out at the same speed it went in, zero.

So by B's logic, the dude on pic related waiting stationary for the wall to get to him will be launched forward once it goes through him? Sure.

Attached: human-tetris-show.jpg (635x416, 58K)

Fine then I'll rephrase.
The cube is moving relative to what's on the other side of the portal, therefore it has momentum.
Get rekt.

It's obvious A, the box itself has no energy

True and based.
finally we can /thread

But the universe is going to stop once both plates hit. Unless you think it's gonna be like a train crashing into a wall and everything in the previously moving universe is gonna be sent flying in that direction.

The cube is changing position in the universe yes, but it is not “moving” it has no momentum. It has no speed. And explain wtf “speed is relative” means.

So it doesn't come out?

Try to understand, if we replace the cube with a filled water bottle that also has a pebble in it, will the pebble be shaken around in the water bottle when it comes out the other side, or will the pebble remain still in relation to the water? Obviously, it will remain still. In the same way, the cube will remain still like in example A. Try to understand please, and remember to Cope with your brainlet status

okay so take an entire room, move it in a direction, and stop suddenly. does the room's contents get affected by the sudden stop?

try another explanation and i'll tell you why it's wrong.

>The cube is changing position in the universe yes, but it is not “moving”
imagine contradicting yourself in a single sentence

Exactly.

>doorway explanation
ugh the reruns are killing me

What the fuck does a pebble have to do with this?
It doesn't matter what goes through the portal.

See:

Reminder that if B were true, a person would be torn apart if they tried to walk through a portal.

Yep, as i expected your brainlet tumor is inoperable. You just don't understand basic physics.

Why is that?

Why not twist the problem on its head.
If you have the box move at speed 10000 (just say m/s), and enters the portal that is moving in the same direction at 9999 (same unit).
The portal it leaves stands still, would the cube leave at a speed of 10000 relative to the exit, or ~1?

The latter, and B is the correct answer in OP's question

Because they suddenly gain momentum out of fucking nowhere.

Because supporters of B seriously insinuate that if the portal stops halfway, then half of your body will have momentum while the other half won't causing you to be literally torn in two.

Let me explain how your post is retarded, because I'm sure some people won't understand.
In this picture, the person only has relative speed to the wall, nothing else, that's why the wall will keep moving relative to the person unless the wall or the person's speed is changed.
On the other hand if it were a portal, the person would have momentum relative to the wall AND everything else.

You're welcome.

It would only tear you in half if the inertia is strong enough to tear apart your body. Otherwise the speed would be transferred equally.

>On the other hand if it were a portal, the person would have momentum relative to the wall AND everything else.
No, the person would only have momentum relative to the portal. He would still be stationary with regards to the audience and the floor, for example. What have you been smoking?

If B were true then accelerating a portal 51% of the way down the cube, and then stopping, would cause it to eject out the other side.
Portals are just Doors if you had a doorframe fall on top of you you would not explode out the other side, you'd just be sitting on top of it.

You're not thinking with portals.

It depends on whether or not the pace in the orange portal is also moving with the portal itself relative to the box. In that case the anser is b, but if the only thing moving is the orange portal itself, then the answer is A. The question is too ambiguous.

What does that have to do with walking through a portal?

And supporters of A insinuate that if you leave the portal within a really, really short time you're totally unaffected.

By literal B logic, if i walked out my front door but stopped in the middle of the doorway, the half of my body that has passed through the doorway ought to conserve my forward momentum while the half that remains inside would be still. It's pants-on-head retarded, truely.

No because you stopped.
You applied force to stop yourself from crossing the doorway.
Are doorlets really this fucking stupid?

the real issue is that portals cannot move about within space. if the portal was attached to a piston in an attempt to push it, surly the piston would enter the portal and exit through the other, rendering the portal un-movable

Okay, and at what point did the cube apply force to itself? Checkmate.

A fags on suicide watch

Attached: obviouslyB.png (728x631, 176K)

The universe under the orange portal applied force to the cube when it passed through it.

In your example it comes out at a speed relative to the wall, which is B.

The object that is emitting force onto the cube isn't the orange portal, it's the platform that the cube is standing on. This doesn't change once entering the orange portal.

Impossible since no part of the universe touched the cube.
Check
and
Mate
B-fags

in scenario A, how could the ship pass through orange in 10 seconds, but come out with 1000m/s on other side in 0.01 seconds?
checkmate

It'll come out at a 1000, but it will be "stuck" in the portal until the whole body emerges.

I'm for option C. The surface a portal is placed on must be stationary, else it disappears.
inb4
>b-but muh earth and muh moon are moving

It didn't.
The whole problem with this is that once the portal stops moving, the momentum of things that are moving on the other side of the portal MAGICALLY gets cancelled. That's the entire problem with this.
However since laws of physics exist, the cube is already moving out of the portal and it stopping would be nonsensical, so if you make the assumption that portals move then you also have to concede that things exiting portals conserve their momentum. Otherwise you have two magical things instead of one, which is considerably worse than having one magical property of portals.

Otherwise if you're going in the direction of having magic at will, then I can say that the cube is not in fact a cube, but a dragon and when it exits the portal it does a loopty-loop and dabs on A-fags.

Tell me how this makes any sense to you.
If a stationary ball sits in a doorway and I move the doorframe 51% across it does it eject out the otherside? The only way the portal ejecting that would make sense is if it crosses an equilibrium where one side of the cube has more influence than anoter. That right there is not possible

I honestly fear for america

The portal is static. It isn't affected by time. It doesn't matter if you make a wall with a portal go 1000 miles per hour and you enter it by it going into you, you just teleport with the same momentum you had prior. Which is standing still.

I genuinely cannot understand how the entire concept of it being a moving doorframe is beyond your comprehension.

So it slowly comes out of the blue portal with 1m/s then accelerates with infinite Gs to 1000m/s?
What makes it accelerate with infinite power?

If the box is staying motionless but the portal is moving at it, the box would just slide down due to gravity, doesn’t matter how hard the pillar is coming down.
Now if it was the platform with the box being moved it would be B.
Correct answer is A.

You have a wrong understanding of the problem at hand. When a portal moves, the universe it's connected to rushes towards it.

Because it's not a doorframe, it's a connection between two ellipses in space.
Imagine the doorframe analogy but the door exiting your house instead leads back into the dining room, how does that even make sense any more? It doesn't.

>However since laws of physics exist

Attached: x to doubt 3.png (215x373, 4K)

You're trolling good job

That's the speed it got.
Nothing makes it accelerate. It's the speed it has when it enters the portal that decides. Since the portal is moving away from it, going through the portal will take a thousand seconds though. Afterwards it will zoot zoot away.

This is explain as following:
PORTAL PHYSICS AREN'T REAL PHYSICS SO SHIT OBVIOUSLY BREAK APART WHEN YOU APPLY REAL WORLD REASON TO IT.

But A is technically correct.

it makes a hell of a lot of sense actually since it seems that my front door leads directly into your mom's bedroom

Yes but since you're an a-fag you won't be able to maintain your erection walking through it.

But the same time, the portal moves and the universe keeps its momentum. Whatever enters it stays the same.
If something, the portal creates a vacuum of air behind it, so for a brief second, anyone following behind the portal is unable to breath because the air moved.

Ultimately, portals are fiction and we can't determine how they work or how they should work.
The closest concept we have to portal is by altering the perception of time to move from one spot to another which isn't even steadfast enough to be a theory.

no problem since i'll already be inside by the time i emerge from the portal

theres no force acting on the object so why would it move

The speed it has after exiting is exactly corresponding with the time it takes for it to leave the portal. If a 10 meter long rod enters the moving portal and it takes 0.1 second for it to completly get to the other side, it would mean the head of the rod and body of the rod leaves at 100 m/s, but as soon as the tail of the rod exits, it somehow magically decelerates to 0, within no unit of time, and that somehow has no effect on the rest of the material.

>Famous physics YouTuber
Who completely forgot that gravity exists.

What if the ship has a really long and thin tail (think a 100m long tail)? Does the ship come out at 1m/s all the way while the body emerges, keeps coming out while the whole tail slowly emerges and then just as it finishes, yep, now it's out, shoot it at 1000m/s! Yeah!

>B-fags have to resort to Magic to get their retarded explanations to make sense

WHO THE FUCK DO I BELIEVE????

>Famous physics YouTuber says it is B
If is the famous youtuber, I can understand why the world is becoming retarded if people think that shit is right. He keeps assuming the portal creates force, despite it being a door. Do you gain extra force by entering a door? Do you gain more momentum if the door flew towards you without hitting you with its borders?

That's some grade A nonsense. An object can be moving and not moving at the same time. Fucking, get onto an elevator and ride it. For you, the elevator isn't moving, it looks completely static. For anyone else, the elevator is moving. Wow. Paradox. World destroyed.

That's not what he's saying. The cube has no momentum when it enters, therefor it has no momentum when it exists. Gravity still exists so it plops.

It's B simply because all the forced momentum of that press with the orange portal hitting that base will force its energy on anything it can in order to stop, including the cube. If that base was small enough to fit through the portal then the answer would be A.

whoa....... a youtuber..... a famous one.....
*mind explode emoji*

A box is pushed VERY GENTLY into portal 1. However portal 2 is moving forward EXTREMELY FAST. What happens?

An actual physicist who got his PhD from Harvard answered it too

Did you even read what he said? Let's say it enters the portal as it is and the exit portal is completely sideway. It will keep it's momentum and friction being completely still, but as soon as it enters out of the other portal, it gets affected by the same amount of gravity, but at a different place.
So it will fall straight down, or at least hit the edge of the portal moving away or change position slightly.

Probably the same result as pushing a box out of a moving car.

Neither of those are right because the ship would come out of the blue just as fast as it's going into the orange so it would take 1000 seconds for it to fully come out. The real question is if you touched it coming out of the blue would your hand explode like it was hit by an object moving at 1000m/s or would it feel like a slowly emerging stationary object?

Attached: 1470624620625.gif (499x365, 291K)

cringe

>1000 seconds
no wonder you're arguing for A

A fags will tell you that wind resistence will prevent you from pushing the box or some shit. They always come up with case-specific excuses to prevents their scenarios from hiliariously breaking and feel safe in their belief without having to come up with an universal mechanic which can only be B.

God damn it, I refuse to believe that this many people are trolling, so the only reasonable answer is that Yea Forums is fucking retarded. Why is it so difficult for people to admit that they are wrong and change their views when presented with contradicting facts?

Fine 10 whatever damn you know what I mean.

It's obviously A. The box is never moving. It's basically the same exact thing as placing a portal underneath it.

Isn't pic related functionally the same thing because of relative motion or whatever? Drawn like this, most people would pick B. A would only make sense if the the blue portal was moving and then stopped on the shoe horn looking thing.

Attached: 1561995639322.jpg (636x714, 40K)

Well, you could always consider B, where everything works out fine and makes sense.

How the hell did the thread not just end here?

That's entirely wrong.

>simultaneously moving towards the box and away from the box at the same time
This isn't even the same type of relativity, frames of reference don't mean anything here.

>create infinite electricity
Passing something through Portals probably costs a lot more of energy than it would create.

We all know Portals are a paradox since they literally break space and frames of reference but your line of reasoning is just stupid.

Except it doesn't because the portal isn't slowing anything down. The ship is constantly moving at 1000m/s no matter what.

Because that's wrong tho

That's just a bunch o meme words. In reality, OP's pic would produce the A result and your pic would produce B.
Now stop arguing like a bunch of retards over something so simple.

Would be true if portals obeyed physics and weren't in a videogame.
But they aren't, you dipshits.

The only way B can be valid is if the portal adds some of its momentum to the box, but at the same time they are two different static items.
But science is all about perception now anyway, so it doesn't surprise me physicists take it into account in exactly everything.

What's weird is, an object which force is constantly moving downwards by gravity, enters a door moving by itself with a constant force from above would magically shoot out of the orange side at, what I assume is, the same speed as the door only because we perceive it that way when looking into the orange portal.

I question his reasoning, but I want a better explanation than this short one, and it even seemed like a joke from his side.

I'm assuming we're assuming that the momentum of the cube is enough to overcome gravity, or that we're not factoring for gravity in this question.

>the guy who made the fucking game is wrong
uhhh

in 5 years when you hit 14 and look back the cringe will keep you up at night

>Isn't pic related functionally the same thing because of relative motion or whatever?
No. In that image you posted the platform with the box is moving thus when it stops the box will NOT stop like someone not wearing a seatbelt will fly out of a cars windshield in a collision.
In the OPs picture the hanging platform just moves and swallows the box. If the platform on the bottom fit through the entire portal what would happen?

What about the fact the box has two different speeds relative to the same object at the same time?

Might also add, I didn't know we had physicist with PhD in portals. How come we still don't have portals if we know how they magically works?

I bet you think college is a scam.

If this was true you just confirmed wormholes is impossible.

For one that comes into existence, by the "laws of physics", if in order to move the portal that "contains" the mass of the entire universe, you'd need a force x the mass of the universe to do so, which "being impossible", means if you'd e.g, made one on Earth, it would have to be locked universally in place, in which Earth rotating at 1000+ mphs per sec through space, which obits our sun at millions of mph, in which the sun orbits around in the milky way around a supermassive black hole, which is being pushed from a force called dark energy that's expanding the universe from the center point being the Singularity...

Yeah, either that's the case, or it isn't for one reason, because Black Holes contains infinite mass, yet it still moves relative to the rest of the universe. So no, it's not a paradox, you're just fucking retarded.

Attached: 1557071726291.jpg (200x303, 16K)

Pretty sure american ones are by now. British ones can't be much behind.
Pretty mindboggling how you can pay 40k plus for that crap.
College here is nearly free and you don't get sjw crap mixed in.

Not the guy, but sometimes I think university is a scam, even when it is free.

>Black Holes contains infinite mass
They don't.

Think of the blue portal as camera and the orange portal as a TV screen

They do. My proof is your mom

Then A still happens.

This is the thing. B-type answer is the only that can consistently solve any variant of the portal problem. A-type doesn't even make sense into itself, but on top of that it inevitably runs into all kind of problems the more you look into it and try to solve different variants that highlight those issues. That's when A fags bring hula-hoop arguments and pretend that B chads are retards that don't know about conservation of energy

I guess it is true if you're constantly attracted to her.

Wormholes probably don't exist or don't fit within physics as we know it.
In fact the science around black holes in general is very speculative.

I'm glad we're in agreement ;)

>the box will NOT stop like someone not wearing a seatbelt will fly out of a cars windshield in a collision

So you're agreeing with me in saying the box will still have momentum while going through the portal?

>In the OPs picture the hanging platform just moves and swallows the box. If the platform on the bottom fit through the entire portal what would happen?

Can you rephrase this? Not sure what you're getting at.

The cube has no energy. Where does the energy come from to suddenly give it a shit ton of velocity?

Depends on the angle. If the second portal is moving away, the box will come back because the second portal out-sped the box.

Try to imagine A happening in real time.

>It's literally a Singularity which by definition is equal to infinity
>It's not
Says (You)

Attached: 1501032020044.jpg (1680x1050, 87K)

I'm not him though, I'm just adding to the joke that infinite mass has a strong gravitational pull.

Also contradictory cause quantum mechanics and theory of general relativity

>of course I'm ESTP bro! thanks for noticing, what gave it away?

Attached: 1559800524954.jpg (1080x1246, 741K)

Your moms vagina sure pulled my dick inside it all night long

>So you're agreeing with me in saying the box will still have momentum while going through the portal?
In your edited image it would go flying, yes. It'd be no different then putting an eraser in your open palm and raising your hand as fast as you can.
>Can you rephrase this?
Not really. I don't think I can make it any more simple.

From the piston pushing it into to the portal?

I have two degrees and working in a field unrelated to them. When I worked in one of their fields, I was learning more in the first couple of weeks than in four years at uni so yeah I feel like they just stole my time (it was free because I'm not retarded), and they are in fact a scam.

It would probably rip your dick apart by the strong gravitational force. And then suck you as a whole inside it.

>pushing
It literally doesn't touch it

Also how does the velocity invert? if I push something down it doesn't fly up, unless there's a spring surface beneath it

A train is moving towards you at 300km/h.
You are moving towards a train at 300km/h.
Regardless you are ded. That's the energy. Objects don't "contain" energy as movement, they only have speed relative to each other.

There's no way in hell B would ever work and frankly I don't see how anyone who played portal would see it that way.

This picture perfectly illustrates what's needed for B to work

Black holes don't have infinite mass, it's just an aggregate of mass with enough gravity to fold spacetime into itself. Otherwise there wouldn't be black holes with different masses, like supermassive black holes.

>Objects don't "contain" energy as movement
there's literally exactly what they do

If you drop a ball, and it bounces on the ground, it bounces less and less high. Because it's transfering it's energy to the ground. The ground literally gets warmer from the energy transfer as it bounces

You know what, nevermind, I'm not wasting my Canadian holiday explaining basic physics to morons.

>the piston pushing it into the portal
Doesn't exist. Portal is just being dropped on top of it.

The point is that this is literally the same thing as OP's pic because motion is relative.

That's an abstraction. You misunderstand basic newtonian physics.

black holes aren't singularities, also singularities don't exist

That's not the same at all. Don't be retarded for the sake of shitposting, user.

That is if you assume they aren't singularity.

Have you taken high school physics user?

Have you progressed past it?

but it does have momentum relative to the orange portal

Logic dictates that A is right since nothing about the portals' function implies that the momentum of the platform with the orange portal would magically transfer over to the cube. It's only when you get into frames of reference and shit like that where you start getting explanations that point towards B.

Gaben already stated it is A, stop making shit threads.

No Gaben said it's B

A black hole is born from a star, so it's not like the previously finite amout of matter magically turns infinite after it forms. It would also mean that you don't get more black hole by throwing mass into it.

Yes, motion is relative but everyone picking B seems to assume the portal itself transfer force into the box or that perception itself is enough for it to gain velocity.

I might be too stupid or old school to understand B. But A is the more logical one from a standpoint of not having a physicist PhD in forces.

Static relative to what?
Standing still relative to what?
I assume you'll say the ground, but why the fuck would that be?
Does that mean that if you used the portal gun on the Mars anything that went through it even slowly would hurtle into space/the ground at the speed the Earth moves relative to it?
To be honest is just sounds like you don't understand physics and think there is such a thing as being objectively still or objectively static, your solution raises more problems than it solves.

Why the fuck would it be B? There is no force there for the cube to accelerate out the portal like that.

The portal doesn't need to transfer force. The cube is already moving.

why would newton and einstein disagree here?

And as I've said in this very thread, the concept of portal is so foreign to current science we can't have an explanation of it. If you ask physicists they will probably have different explanations

ESTP is closer to brad. The idea of chad being some renaissance man who has patrician taste in everything and has mastered every field is closer to ENTJ.

If you shoot something through a portal, it will shoot out. If a portal could fall on you, it would hit the ground, and you would just be standing on the same floor but on the other side of the portal.

Attached: not a physicist.png (1058x192, 22K)

It is moving downwards. So it shooting out sounds fishy. If something, it'd just tip over by the sudden change of angle.

Everyone saying its B has a subhuman IQ and should go rope

As soon as the portal starts moving, the cube is moving upwards.

it enters the orange portal with momentum

It's time to take the A pill Yea Forums.

if your mom sits on my fat ass dick, does my dick a) remain in place as she pounds it relentlessly whilst moaning like a whore or b) shoot off at 90000mph probably destroying a plane and leaving the manliest conceivable crater on the moon? after testing this repeatedly over several years, i can tell you conclusively that the answer is A.

But an actual physicist responded and said it's B

The fact that you believe in a theory that has as much validity as a fortune cookie. Myers-Briggs is just normie horoscopes.

based and penispilled

it would never be B unless the floor was moving, not the roof

That's the part I don't understand. What determines this? The cube is moving towards the earth with a gravitational force about 9.8G and all of a sudden it shoots in the opposite direction. The only way that could happen in that case is that the portal is somewhat reversed and uses the force of the box.

Honestly, I have no idea where people get this established portal science. The only real and short answer we got was because we perceive it moving, therefore it shoots out like in B.

They literally wouldn't. Both would say A because the box has energy that doesn't change because it moves throught the portal.

Any weird scenarios only exist because portals break the rules of physics.

If I throw a window at you, how fast will you be going when it goes around you?

That's just a cop-out. No one is looking for an explanation for portals, we're looking for the answer to a hypothetical where portals can do what portals are shown to do plus the ability to move from the hypothetical.
You can come up with a version of portal physics that results in the outcome A, but it requires far more strange fuckery and inventing whole new complex strange mechanics to force it. Any physicist would see B as the more natural answer requiring far less leaps of logic and bullshit, given the abilities and mechanics that are already shown by portals in the game, and the extra ability of them being able to move.

Yeah dude, relativity totally isn't real

Cool. That's great.

Relative to the window?
Quite fast, why?

A software engineer working on the game physics you mean
At least everybody can agree that in the actual game implementation the answer is A

If we based how the portal works in the game, B would definitely not work. You can even make a simulation of it in the games or by making your own map using the same physics.

This would be true if the second portal was also falling like a door frame. In this scenario, the second portal is stationary.

Let's say a portal is falling on you like a door frame, and the exit portal is 5 feet away stuck on the floor. In order to completely move out of the exit portal, your body would have to raise like a whack-a-mole out of the floor.

Now let's imagine the same situation, but the door frame portal is falling on to you at 1000 mph. In order to completely move out of the exit portal in pace with the door frame portal, you would have to raise out the floor also at 1000 mph.

In order for A to make sense, your body would have to instantly freeze in place once your feet left the exit portal. In B's scenario, your body just continues into the air at 1000 mph after exiting the portal.

Wish I could animate what i'm thinking so it's easier to understand.

Attached: .png (256x256, 14K)

No it doesn't. There is no momentum for the cube.

the 9.81m/s2 is a constant accelerational force applied to the cube, however crossing the portal, that vector changes to another angle
Granted the platform needs to move at a certain speed for the cube not to just plop back down, but otherwise there is no problem.

And we don't just perceive it to be moving, but it's actually moving, proven by the fact you can enter and exit portals and you will keep your momentum.

Attached: cubeportal.png (1068x935, 114K)

>Relative

And here's a tomato.

Attached: 1553102368446.jpg (1280x720, 70K)

>A requires more fuckery

Bullshit. What happens with the light that moves through a moving portal?

>C is universe hardcap on velocity
>Portal moves towards the sun at 1 m/s
>Speed of light is now C+1 m/s?

Attached: 1553454891286.jpg (596x500, 57K)

>And we don't just perceive it to be moving, but it's actually moving, proven by the fact you can enter and exit portals and you will keep your momentum.
But the reason why we keep the momentum is because we are just entering a literal sci-fi door.

Yes, because they're not coded to function while moving. You can force them to move by messing with things, but by default they just dissipate. This is a hypothetical where portals can move, so that's irrelevant.
If really you want how it is in the game, the answer is actually C: The portal disappears when the platform moves and the box is simply hit by an inert plate.

Both answers imply some sort of total energy change relative to something else.

You absolute retards keep insisting of B, but fucking why? The portal preservesthe momentum of everything that passes through it. It does NOT make any sense that the block gains energy by passing through what is essentially just a window
Pick relates is how you faggots think this works, but without changin place

Attached: bfags.png (2304x1044, 21K)

relative to the frame of the orange portal, the cube certainly has momentum

>C: The portal disappears when the platform moves and the box is simply hit by an inert plate.
I can agree on this.

I don't see the problem.

You don't understand relativity or what the "hardcap" on speed actually means.
Figure out the conundrum of what happens when a car is travelling at c and turns its headlights on, then come back to this question.

No, an actual physicist

You don't fly through a door which B implies.

In your A picture the window that slides over the cube experiences a reaction force/deceleration and as a result its velocity becomes coupled with the cube.

For a doorframe/window the entry and exit of the tunnel are stationary relative to each other. It'd be like dropping a plate with a orange portal on the front and a blue one on the back.

Who fucking cares?

Attached: 1525728544234.jpg (280x280, 12K)

Momentum RELATIVE TO WHAT?
The only reasonable answer is that the portal preserves momentum relative to itself, which means the answer is B. Otherwise you have to invent some weird frame of reference anchor both of the portals must tie themselves to, which raises a million more questions and problems. You're just assuming the frame of reference by which momentum must be kept is the nearby ground, but that makes no sense and produces bizarre results very quickly.

I actually really think it's B. Imagine looking into the blue one, and seeing the box rush towards you as if it was on a piston. Don't you think it's possible it might have kinetic energy relative to the blue one, even if it's not moving originally? What if instead, a blue portal opened beneath the cube, just at the moment the piston from above collided with it? Is there a functional difference?

I'm not gonna act like I know, but something about the way I picture it feels right.

Attached: nOhKG7J.jpg (680x660, 58K)

This guy is retarded. It's like saying you can move faster by pulling on your nose.

Boy do I have a brain teaser for you.

Attached: thingin with portals.png (1152x656, 16K)

If the moving platform reaches me and I jump would I get the opposite effect of B?

So if you placed a 6' person in a 3' tube and the platform with the portal stopped at the mouth of the tube, woooould the person be torn in half, get sucked through the portal entirely, or just be stood there half through each one?

Consider you live in a world on a 1 dimensional plane or string, where left and right essentially don't mean anything, you are only concerned with moving forward and back. Even if you did move left or right, for the sake of physics, momentum is only conserved moving forward and back.

Now imagine you are on a very fast subway train moving down the string, with open air to your left, where you can see and interact with all the objects and bystanders you speed by. Consider a stationary bystander you are about to pass. He tosses a heavy box to his right, onto the train as you move towards him. While the box is in the air, before it lands on the floor inside the train, consider the perceived velocity of the box to your stationary position on the train, versus the stationary bystander off of the train.

Looking into the train can be seen as looking into the world from the orange portal's perspective, and looking outside of the train can be seen as looking into world from the blue portal's perspective. The world inside and outside of the train is the same system of conserved energy, and stationary objects can have the illusion of gaining velocity out of nothing when you yourself are moving along with the train.

That's actually a good presentation on how B could be correct. But I'd assume it would be the same as just pressing something or the platform breaks.
But I'd assume the door breaks considering how thin it seems to be.

>Destiny
I'm not giving your boyfriend that click.

oh god just watch the video
youtube.com/watch?v=B19nlhbA7-E

The portal funtionaly works like a window, the only difference being that the entry and exit of said window are not next to one another, no matter how fast you move that portal, the block is not moving and will pop out the blue portal like in A

>But the physics aren't impossible
>What happens to a box that is instantly teleported from one place to another?

For the sake of the example let's assume the platforms are unbreakable, since it doesn't really matter.

Then I presume it becomes like a press. But yeah, I get your point.

>The portal funtionaly works like a window
no

It's dependant on air pressure. In an atmosphere: B.

In a vacuum, or with insufficient compressing force, or with a sufficiently heavy cube: A.

FUCK HOOPFAGS

Attached: HOOPS.jpg (810x1080, 369K)

The answer is neither.
where my /neaitherbvlls/ @?

i dont like this thread :(

Yes
If it doesn't, then explain you position

Attached: 1561792831369.gif (499x338, 1.87M)

Why do A fags think these two images are different?

Attached: portals.png (912x400, 64K)

Not moving relative to what?
You can't just say something is not moving, that literally doesn't mean anything. Everything is moving, and everything is still, depending on your frame of reference. What frame of reference does the portal use to decide the box's momentum?
The only reasonable answer to that question is that it uses its own frame of reference, which results in B. Otherwise it's using the reference of something else altogether, which just leads to bizarre results. Is it using the reference of the ground? If so, what part of it, and why? What happens when you do this experiment on another planet? What happens when you do this in space, where there is no ground?

I'm a programmer and it makes sense I think it is A. Although, I do understand what he meant by B though.

Show me a window where one side of it can move while the other stays still.

"A" makes sense to me idek why.

Because they either think the question is in terms of video game logic or that reality itself runs on video game logic where objects have "absolute momentum"

B is nonsensical from the orange portal's perspective and A is nonsensical from the blue portal's perspective. Both are right and wrong because God hates you.

Jesus christ, you are incredibly retarded.

Attached: 1536063487996.jpg (442x611, 122K)

Reminder that for B to be true it's have to imply that the whole fucking universe is moving, thus it'd be impossible to ever actually push a portal into something because the entire universe would be moving at the same speed and thus you couldn't reach the portal unless the object in question had some movement in the opposite direction.

The whole portal thing is nonsensical because portals doesn't exist.

Why don't you answer? Show us all a door or window that has independently moving sides.

The universe is moving relative to itself.

The universe is always moving. So are you.
Or at least the cases of something not moving are extremely few.

So all of it is moving and the portal will never reach anything because to push it is to push the entire universe uniformly in the same direction.

>hoopfags are still allowed to post on Yea Forums?
Why is this allowed?

The plane will keep at 1000m/s and tear itself into shreds as the later parts of the plane will fail to keep up with the portaling process.

No you don't understand.
The universe has speed relative to itself as long as the portal is moving, then as it stops that speed stops existing, we dont' know why but it does, otherwise you couldn't move portals, any movement of a portal would start a cataclysmic chain reaction of introducing so much extra energy to the universe it would destroy everything in it.

Thats the fucking mechanics of a portal. Both sides function as a "window" in reality, both sides connect seemlesly. It functions LIKE a window, I never said it's a window and you are either completely stupid or baiting, in which case I would be falling pretty hard for it

Attached: 1558668426724.png (697x768, 174K)

So it doesn't function like a window. I'm glad I was able to correct you.

>The universe has speed relative to itself as long as the portal is moving
Uniformly, and in the same direction. Otherwise, B being true would imply that you could shoot a portal into a tray, grab it and shake it to cause all of existence to be violently tossed around.

Not the guy, but by the game's mechanics it is.
How it would work in real life is a completely different matter.

Attached: 1559844940807.jpg (640x471, 40K)

Attached: 1494874716510.gif (504x282, 17K)

>same type of relativity
What? The image is comparing 2 different views of observation - one via a portal and one not by a portal. I'm also comparing 2 paths of observation - one via a portal and one not a portal. The observer (which is the box in mine) is not moving. The dilemma of the person moving towards the box or away from the box in mine is the same as is the box moving towards the person or not in the image.

>Passing something through Portals probably costs a lot more of energy than it would create.
If you're assuming that the conservation of energy still holds, then where does the energy go? You can literally create a perpetual motion machine with 2 portals (infinitely falling), which breaks conservation of energy. The only way for it not to break conservation of energy is for objects cannot go through portals, which is the same of saying that portals can't exist.

What I'm saying is that even non-moving portals break conversation of energy, so arguing that it must be A because "energy is conserved" is not a valid argument. Portals literally create energy out of nowhere.

What momentum a portal is going around a stationary cube there is no force to act upon the cube besides gravity. B fags think there is some magic pulling force when that would just tear chell to pieces. It; pretty bhringe seeing pretentious people argue about fictitious portals.

By the game mechanics they're not even connected. They make different rooms.

>mfw i was right

release the dopamine

Attached: 1561752811999.png (640x360, 10K)

Attached: 1560036935803.jpg (1024x923, 162K)

This. There is no transfer of momentum on the box. Going through the portal generates no resistance, and thats how it acted in game, our only reference point.

>They make different rooms.
Wait it does? I thought based on what I've read it creates an instance which partially moves your character from on point to another which is why clipping through walls with it is made possible.

If a portal is going around a cube then the cube is moving relative to the portal. Outside video games there is no such thing as absolute speed. Movement only exists relative to something else. Whether the cube is pushed into the portal or the portal into the cube makes no difference.

It's only B if it's the bottom platform that moves, no? Otherwise the box is completely stationary, of course it just plops through.

>

Attached: 1548211300405.png (1423x1296, 389K)

It's A.

Remember that the cube isn't the only thing going through the portal. Everything around the cube (including the air) is also going through. For B to happen, the universe on the Blue side of the portal would have to be traveling at a high enough velocity to defeat gravity and affect the entire cylinder of transferred reality and thus throw the cube up at the ceiling. But it's not. In that universe, it's relatively stationary. So nothing acts on the transferred reality and gives it momentum. It's like passing a hula hoop over it.

pathetic. these are the spineless faggots shitposting your thread.

Feels so good being A guys, it's something the Bdumdums will never know

Attached: ISeeWhatYouDidThere.jpg (1024x576, 63K)

B fags on suicide watch

Attached: portal.png (728x631, 145K)

>all these niggas that failed basic high school science talking about reference points and relativity like they have a single goddamned clue
>meanwhile the box never has any inertia or momentum, the platform does
Yea Forums is the perfect picture of pseudo-intellegence

I bet you Joe Rogan listening faggots also think that if there are an infinite number of universes it means there's an infinite number of copies of you. Retards.

Attached: getthefuckout.gif (250x188, 2.63M)

fuck your video and minutephysics, he just proved to the world he is a dumbass just like all B fags

Attached: 1454796710259.gif (580x433, 1.96M)

How the fuck can the portal exit at 1000m/s if it takes 10 seconds for the ship to fully enter the orange portal. It'd exit the blue portal at 2m/s since it moves at 1m/s relative to the entry portal and the exit portal is moving at 1m/s.

>if there are an infinite number of universes it means there's an infinite number of copies of you.
I agree with the greentext, but do you realize what "infinite" means user?

What happens if a portal enters another portal?

You do realize that the earth is perpetually falling in orbit around the Sun and that doesn't brake conservation of energy.

>he thinks these pictures aren't the same thing
>he thinks when a car passes him at 60mph hes not moving past the car from the drivers perspective at 60mph

Attached: 2019-07-01 12.43.41.png (827x362, 57K)

>All these Physcists getting it wrong.

The Box will not have any momentum because the portal acts as a hole within the downward piston.

imagine being this fucking retarded while simultaneously looking down on Joe Rogan

>If the blue portal moves -2m/s, the plane comes out moving backwards.

Attached: box.png (1531x436, 116K)

this whole thread

hey wait a minute

Attached: 1561062429333.jpg (468x351, 22K)

I do, far better than you it would seem.

If there are an infinite number of universes that tells you nothing about their contents. You are assuming that everything you can conceive of is the same as everything that is possible which is an easy linguistic trap to fall into, but you're still retarded for doing so.

There could be an infinite number of universes and only one has life. There could be an infinite number of universes and only one is even a rational universe with consistent laws of physics.

There are an infinite amount of numbers between 2 and 3. None of those numbers is 4, despite there being an infinite amount of them.

The important thing is that the motion stops when the platform hits the pedestal and the block is all the way through and the block carries no inertia, but you were too stupid to figure that out.

yes, and that woul make perfect sense

imagine seeing an astronaut through the portal on the other side slowly getting away from you.

He is standing in one place, the blue portal is flying away from him.
As you seamlessly pass through the portal, the guy keeps moving away from you, yes you are going backwards (because you had 1000 m/s and got -1001 m/s from the portal), and that's fine.

Both of those pictures result in A
For B to happen the portals would have to keep going and the pedestal itself would be sticking out

>This thread
Some memes never die

Attached: 1527148267178.jpg (251x251, 10K)

bait

gmod portal swep that's not accurate to portal

Yes it will. It will come out at 1m/s relative to the blue portal but without thrusters on it would be moving backwards at 2m/s. The momentum is gone.

Picture this, a wall with a hole in it falls on you, but you go through the hole. Do you gain momentum from the wall falling? Or are you just standing there.

lmao your argument basically boils down to "nuh uh." being a nihilist isn't an argument. i don't think you have any room to look down on roganfags.

The plane stuff is just dumb since the airplane accelerates based on airspeed and not ground speed, it would just freespin the wheels and potentially crash.

>"Knowing that there are an infinite number of things in a set does not tell you anything about the contents of the set"
>your argument is just "nuh-uh!"

Attached: 1419190745461.gif (300x290, 1.74M)

no, its wings will hit the legs of the console in front of it

Add a giant fan behind the legs as well to keep pushing it back.

...what does being a nihilist have to do with you not getting the difference between thinkable and possible

>This thread
Some memes never die

Attached: 1527148686205.jpg (550x526, 55K)

>If there are and INFINITE number of universes, there could be an INFINITE number of mes
>nuh uh u cnt no tht so it cnt hapin >:(((((((

Attached: source.gif (480x270, 1.71M)

Every past, present and future self of you exists in literally every imaginable encoding in pi
There are also alternate versions of you, like ones that aren't retarded

What happens if the orange portal stops halfway down the cube?
Does the half on the other side of the portal rip off from the sudden increase in velocity, or does it not get any velocity and it might just move a little from gravity pulling on the half sticking through?

B makes no fucking sense, the platform itself isn't moving and the only force being exerted on it is from the top crusher that has an open window in its middle. The only movement force would come from the platform being rattled around by the crusher's press

Attached: 1559544913817.gif (500x364, 67K)

>he doesn't even address the question and instead tries to say which answer would make sense if portals worked X way in real life
retarded

>Every past, present and future self of you exists in literally every imaginable encoding in pi
Literally no proof of that.

>tfw you're a brainlet yet still have the brain capacity to understand that A is the correct choice
Why are people so retarded, we simply do not know the exact physics of the portals, but if you actually played the fucking game you can easily tell that A is the correct choice.

???

That looks like the ram would only press up against the door rather than being thrust into it

>>Famous physics YouTuber

These three words all contradict each other.

Think about what is actually happening at the orange portal in scenario A. The cube moves out of the portal at extreme speed, but then instantly stops once it has fully appeared. How does this make more sense than it keeping the momentum gained from being forced to appear at x metres per second as it is pushed through the portal by the piston with the portal on it?

>this thread every fucking day
how many of you have even played Portal?

Attached: 1556302370588.jpg (691x625, 236K)

No, it will lunge off the recorder because its center of gravity isn't in the middle.

It can't stop since the portal keeps moving down.

the cube didn't have or gain any momentum

HOOOOOOOOOPS

>Applying real-world physics to a non-euclidean system
Retard

>what is infinity

B is for the people who assume portals exists.
A is for the people who played the game and makes assumption.
C is for the people who played the game and know it will not pass through the portal.

>Famous Youtuber
>Famous Physicisist
>Physics Youtuber

>The cube moves out of the portal at extreme speed, but then instantly stops once it has fully appeared.
Physically the cube is still on the platform that it's on before the portal interacts with it, it's not moving out of the portal at all. It has no force interacting on it besides the portal's piston coming into contact with the platform, and as the portal is the physics equivalent of an open window there's no reason it should be launched out of it.

>Every past, present and future self of you exists in literally every imaginable encoding in pi
Correct. Do you know why that is? Because Pi is something called an "irrational number." Now I know you didn't get past algebra, but an irrational number like Pi or i is defined as having infinite NON-REPEATING digits.

That whole "non-repeating" part is pretty fucking important.

1/3 in decimal notation also has an infinite number of digits past the decimal and they're all fucking 3.

Nowhere in either game does a portal move like this. The only times in the games the portals ever move relative to each other is during the neurotoxin tube cutting segment and the moonshot, both of which just have the portals moving sideways relative to each other. The question isn't answered in game and the top of the thread has emails from the developers explaining this.

is infinite and yet does not contain every possible sequence of numbers.
Learn basic maths before trying to sound smart.

It doesn't move out at an speed you fucking twit. Do you think this guy should have been flung into the sky?

Attached: 1415642571_house_wall_falls_over_buster_keaton__steamboat_bill_jr.webm (340x279, 296K)

Fuck Joe Rogan guy here.
No, he's right, Pi is an irrational number. It's non-repeating. If you were to search for any string in any encoding in all of pi you'd eventually find it

He's still wrong about infinite universes, though, even if you ignore that that multiversal theory in the first place says that only quantum events could be different

>physicists can't be wrong

If all physicists were right all the time then we wouldn't need thousands of them

Nope. This is incorrect, because you can see the box clip through the platform falling on it. The momentum it got was solely from this clipping and it wouldn't have happened without the clipping

It is A. Otherwise everything that would pass through it would fly off.

But it moves. The position of the cube changes as a function of time as the portal envelops it. If someone stood in front of the exit portal they'd be smashed by the cube appearing. How is this not speed and momentum?

"could be" and "is" are two very different things.
I'll say it once more so maybe you can understand: knowing that there are an infinite number of items in a set tells you nothing about those items. Not a god-damned thing.

Joe Rogan thinks that NDT told him there are an infinite number of Joe's in every conceivable situation. That's not what NDT told him.

>the cube has momentum because magic
Truly B-tards are the greatest conundrum of our times.

Attached: 1476484673568.jpg (320x240, 26K)

are you retarded on purpose?

>hoopfag
Filtered

>Pi is an irrational number. It's non-repeating.
So is 0.1001100011100001111...
>If you were to search for any string in any encoding in all of pi you'd eventually find it
Maybe. You don't know. Either way your reasoning is wrong.

GOD DAMN EVERY FUCKING THREAD
IT'S NEITHER YOU GOD DAMN MONGOLOIDS
YOU KNOW WHY
BECAUSE IF ANY OF YOU BOTHERED TO PLAY THE GAME INSTEAD OF SHITPOSTING YOU'D FUCKING KNOW THAT YOU CANT PUT A PORTAL ON A SURFACE MOVING IN THE DIRECTION ITS FACING BUT YOU CAN IF THE SURFACE IS MOVING IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION THEN WHERE ITS FACING

SOURCES:
PORTAL 1 CHAPTER 6
PORTAL 2 CHAPTER 5, CHAMBER 3
PORTAL 2 CHAPTER 9 CHAMBER 4

PIC RELATED NOW STOP ARGUING YOU DUMB MOTHER FUCKERS
EVERY GOD DAMN STUPID FUCKING THREAD DESPITE THE FACT THAT ALL OF YOU INCLUDING THIS STUPID ASS PICTURE IS WRONG BECAUSE THE GAMES ACTUAL 100% FUCKING PHYSICS DENIES IT TO BE TRUE.

>inb4 HURR DURR GAMES MECHANICS
>inb4 HURR DURR LIMITED ENGINE PHYSICS
>inb4 HURR DURR I CAN DO IT INHAMMER
FUCK YOU PORTAL 1 AND 2 RUN ON SOURCE SO THERES NO LIMITATIONS THAT YOU FUCKING NIGGERS. THE HAMMER ARGUMENT IS NON EXISTENT BECAUSE I CAN FUCKING MAKE THE SCOUT FROM TF2 A BIG TITTED FEMALE BUT THAT DOESNT MAKE IT CANON

Attached: Portal.png (681x1114, 26K)

>It's like a window!
>It's like a bending of space-time!
It's like neither. We know full well how portals work. A half-dome surrounds the space in front of each portal entrance, and the complete dome acts as its own pocket universe for the sake of physical consistency.

That's why A is the answer based on what we see in game, but going through a portal doesn't cause you to become fucking one dimensional.

??????????????????????????????????????

When the blue portal is halfway around the cube what is the situation at the orange portal? If the other half of the cube is there then it must be appearing gradually, at the same speed it is entering the portal. When 1/10th of the cube has entered the portal 1/10th of it has come out the other side. It gradually goes further and further out of the exit portal at a pace equal to how fast it enters the blue portal.

I don't give a fuck about the manlet or the nig, the fact is your argument boils down to "nuh uh." Fuck outta here with that faggy pseudo-intellectual shit. You are't answering anything, you're just spazzing.

I still want to know what A-fags think would happen if the blue portal was moving upwards.

>so is
Yes, and? Do you have a point?
>maybe. you don't know.
But I do. Because I know more than the number of digits beyond the decimal, I know that they are non-repeating.

You really are a moron, you know that?

Attached: 1392228465874.gif (390x277, 2.31M)

They had one shot and one actor.

Do you think if someone asked Gaben through his email we could finally put this to rest?

But if you exit the portal relative to the speed of which the portal is moving, then why do you go flying out when you jump into it from high up?

I'm for A, but even I am not as retarded as this guy.

Imagine being so reatarded that you think the modern understanding of relativity and physics must be magic.

No because this has nothing to do with Gaben.

UHH
FUCK YOUR HOOP ANALOGIES
HERES WHY
>Stand below hoop
>look through hoop as it is dropped
>the ceiling stays the same distance from you
vs
>Stand below orange portal
>look through portal as it is dropped
>ceiling moves closer to you in the portal
IT'S NOT THE SAM YOU BUMBLING TARDS
IF I SEE ONE MORE HOOP/DOOR/WINDOW ANALOGY I'M GONNA LOSE IT

This makes sense, too bad everyones gonna ignore it because actual well thought out posts get ignored. Sorry user

Fucking this.

Attached: heh_robin_hood_men_in_tights.gif (296x160, 1.27M)

You realize this is still a game right? Portals don't exist irl because these types of things aren't solvable. Tentative yet.

>the blue portal is 1000m away from the orange portal
>a man takes a step through the portal over the course of one (1) second
>A-fags: it took him a full second to take a single step, he can't have been moving at more than 1m/s
>B-fags: he has been displaced by 1000m over the course of one second, he must have been moving at 1000m/s

Attached: 1369693881306.gif (250x188, 784K)

Not the question.
We know what it does in game.

>IF I SEE ONE MORE HOOP/DOOR/WINDOW ANALOGY I'M GONNA LOSE IT
But it is the logic of the game, and by my understanding the question itself is based on Portal's mechanics.

You certainly aren't going to pass set theory, but this is for you.

Attached: youtriedsohard.jpg (500x475, 25K)

maybe you should just end yourself if life as a retard is so terrible

You go flying out exactly because you exit the portal at the same rate that you enter it. You enter it fast by falling and exit it fast. Whether you enter fast because you are moving fast or because the portal is moving fast doesn't matter.

HE LITERALLY CREATED PORTALS

>Yes, and? Do you have a point?
Everything you say about pi is also true about that number.
>I know that they are non-repeating.
0.1001100011100001111 is also non-repeating.
>You really are a moron, you know that?
You're literally quoting a famous open maths problem and acting smug about how simple it is.

He created Portal, but not portals.

If this is a game mechanics question then why the fuck is this thread about physicist opinions? Ask the devs on twitter or something.

No, the logic of the game requires a secondary pocket universe that encapsulates the area just in front of each portal. Otherwise it would have to be B or objects trying to enter portals wouldn't be able to do so (or would squish into one dimension)

A is the answer.

How is what I said wrong? Tell me what you would see if you looked through the moving orange portal

It's not a game mechanics question.
Are you ok?

>Everything you say about pi is also true about that number.
Ok, and?
You need to actually write down the point you're trying to make. In words.

>A is the answer.
I never said anything different.

Read the thread, at least the 10 first posts or so. There's literally emails from the developers explaining everything in detail.

Is that really what you think B's argument is?
Holy fuck, no wonder you Afags don't get it. You legitimately don't even know what we're arguing ABOUT.

>portals don't exist because these questions are answered irl
>this is a question about the game
>then ask the devs
>its not about the game
Are you ok?

Attached: there there.jpg (600x604, 52K)

then there's your answer. not because of any actual physics though, but because of how he decided to implement them in a game.

>complaining about energy magically appearing
>while discussing the physics of completely impossible sci-fi portals
Why do these threads bring out peak autism

INTP here, it's A
The cube has no momentum and the lowering platform doesn't make contact with it and thus doesn't transfer momentum

We know what it does in the game.
The question is what it would do if objects could enter moving portals.

Ok fuck the box
What if you have a portal spinning around really fast in a huge centrifuge
Would the other portal be a huge fan, blowing wind through it?

Again, Myers-Briggs are horoscopes.

Are you really that dumb or just baiting at this point?
Does 0.1001100011100001111... contain the sequence "123" anywhere?
Is the answer "No."? Oh! Then that means that it's false that a number being infinite and non-repeating implies that it contains every finite sequence of digits.

I know, you're not smart

????
people still unable to refute this btw, I've mentally broken a-fags singlehandedly
this image will haunt them until they die

The same scenery coming closer and closer towards me until I get crushed because you can't enter a encapsulated space in the game.

Oh, hang on, I think I get it.

You're trying to say that in the number .1011011101111.... so on where the number of ones keeps increasing wouldn't have every conceivable program/image/video/etc. inside it despite being non-repeating. You're wrong.

This is because you don't understand encryption or abstraction.

Never said I was, but it hurts me to see people that are smarter than me thinking that it is legit.

We don't have the answer with the physics we have you fucking mong. Whatever they do in the game is their choice but shit like this is why portals are nonsense in the first place. Get over it nerd.

>Does 0.1001100011100001111... contain the sequence "123" anywhere?
Yes, in literally infinite numbers in literally infinite methods of binary encryption.

Oops, you fucked up.

>it's false that a number being infinite and non-repeating implies that it contains every finite sequence of digits
No one said that.

Why the fuck did people ask the game dev how portals works then?

Objectively A
If you stand still and a door frame approaches you at 100 mph, you don't suddenly go 100 mph forward when the door frame passes you.
This is the exact same situation as what OP's image is portraying.
Of course, all this is disregarding the in-universe fact that portals literally cannot exist on any moving surface at all.

Why would the ceiling crush you? It's a fixed distance from the blu portal

>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah stop thinking about things noooooooooooooo

Attached: 1544101436854.gif (377x372, 3.46M)

Ask the dev why they coded it like that.

>Hoopfag
Filtered

>implying you can think about anything but cocks

Attached: 1559367738527.png (496x372, 163K)

Portals don't conserve momentum. They conserve speed. But that's only in game when portals never move. It's not too much of a stretch to say that speed is only conserved relative to the portals. I mean that's kind of the whole premise of portals, they bend space. So you enter a portal at 5m/s relative to that portal then you exit at 5m/s relative to the other portal.

The reason people are willing to make this assumption is because it's a hell of a lot more intuitive than A. And that's what we're arguing over, intuitiveness, because obviously neither is actually correct because this is fiction. But A breaks immediately if you think about it for even 2 seconds. What happens if the blue portal is moving upwards? What about the fact that the cube IS moving when it goes through the portal (shown in the battering ram picture someone posted earlier). What about when you consider relativity and start shifting around the frame of reference and changing the speeds and directions of things? It doesn't take long to completely destroy A. A is super unintuitive. B takes longer to break and is way more intuitive, and all you need is to accept the premise that speed is only conserved relative to the portals.

wrong

What if on the other side of the door the entire universe is also moving past you at 100mph? Because that's what's happening in the scenario

Yes, of course it would, that's your fucking A fags problem, that you _want_ the plane to come flying forward at 1000m/s in this example; you _want_ the box to come out while standing still in the basic example and you clinch to that position even when it involves ridiculous contradictions just so that you can justify that energy is conserved because that's one of two quotes you remember from physics.
It takes 10 seconds for the plane to bring its 10m long body through the portals... and you think it does so at 1000m/s at the exit?????

You mean encoding, not encryption.

The part where you cut the neurotoxin tubes they can move, its just normally not enabled

>B
>walk through door
>get propelled forward

It moves from the force being exerted upon it by the collision of the top pistol against the platform, there is no other force exerting upon it or a slingshot effect of being moved through a portal because of how portals work, they are no more complicated than a direct window from point A to point B.

>hoopfag
Filtered

>We know what it does in game.
Yes, we know that, in-universe, portals can't exist on moving surfaces, so the posed situation is a moot point due to impossibility both in reality and in-universe.

No, he's saying that just because a number goes on forever without repeating doesn't mean that every possible finite string of digits will appear in it.
Which is true.

sec brb destroying all fiction.

Except the universe isn't moving, only the portal is moving.

Yes, apologies.

Then he agrees with me because I never said that.

>ignoring the part that says it's impossible even in-universe

Contradictions all.

this thread is literally fanfiction, is this your first time on the internet?

>Except the universe isn't moving, only the portal is moving.
*one side of the portal is moving

Say you're standing and the orange portal is moving towards you while the blue portal is stationary. What do you see when you look through the orange portal.
1. The world stationary relative to you
2. The world stationary to the orange portal moving towards you

>Euclidean physics applied to clearly non-euclidean wormholes
Fucking retards

Doesn't the moon scene from Portal 2 prove B to be correct? The moon obviously isn't stationary relative to the Earth yet we don't go flying off at weird angles as soon as we move through it. We keep our speed relative to the portals like in B

Attached: FFXVfail.webm (1280x720, 1.88M)

Reminds of the whole "Youtube academics" thing.

your primitive can only make flat portals because it is primitive. But bend portals should be ez pz for us brains.

So if the portal is flexible and the in and out have different shapes, what can we get out of it. How do we make a dick shape out of a cube?

Attached: pratol.png (924x576, 24K)

It's A.
The cube has no forces being exerted on it other than gravity.

Can we at least agree that while the cube is transitioning from one portal to the other, it slides out of the exit portal at the same rate that it is entering the entry portal? If so, assume that there is a football on a table right in front of the exit portal. Would it not be hit with significant force as the cube appears? If you don't agree, how do you imagine the cube appears at the exit portal, and how would it work when there's something blocking the exit portal, like the football on the table?

Didn't it create a suction because of the difference in air pressure?

Attached: 1556836898689.jpg (293x343, 38K)

>Momentum gained
It gains no momentum though. Space around it moves, not the cube itself.

Look up explosive decompression, because opening a portal between earth and the moon would cause exactly that.

>actual physicists giving tons of proof why it cannot possibly be A
>A-fags still going "muh hoops/inertia/conservation"

Stay retarded Yea Forums

It would have speed the moment it enters the portal. It would be stationary on entry point and moving on exit.

Theres two cubes at one point, comeplete bullshittery.

>Would it not be hit with significant force as the cube appears?
It wouldn't be, the cube is completely stationary and this does not change until the piston's collision exerts force upon it. The portal is moving, not the cube, and there is no resistance going into or out of a portal.
>If you don't agree, how do you imagine the cube appears at the exit portal, and how would it work when there's something blocking the exit portal, like the football on the table?
This one is the trickier question because the entire universe is moving from the perspective of the exit portal. Portal's physics answer that the football would lightly bumped out of the way to make room for the cube.

Sure you can make up an encoding like 0 followed by 123 1's represents 123, but only if it's a simple pattern like that.
But what makes you think that you will always be able to come up with an encoding like that?
Consider this number: You start with 0 and a dot. Then you have as many 1's as the first digit of pi, then as many 0's as the second digit of pi, etc.
You should now see that the problems are equivalent.

>actual physicists giving tons of proof why it cannot possibly be A
One gave like three sentences in a destiny interview and another said it was possible in certain scenarios at least based of what we have in this thread.

What does that have anything to do with it? What I'm saying is out speed relative to the Earth isn't conserved. Our speed relative to the Earth is converted into speed relative to the moon. Just like how in B our speed relative to the orange is converted into speed relative to the blue. If A were correct then in the moon scene we should have shot out in some random direction (I guess to the side and a little bit up, because the moon is revolving around us) in order for our speed relative to the Earth to be conserved. I'm not good at explaining but I'm hoping someone gets what I mean

>It takes 10 seconds for the plane to bring its 10m long body through the portals... and you think it does so at 1000m/s at the exit?????
The plane rips apart as it leaves the portal.

Its A
The momentum energy of the top pannel transfers to the bottom pannel on inpact (causing heat, vibration) the cube only moves through the portal with zero momentum and falls due to gravity

If that guy is such a portal expert why doesn't he make one?

Attached: smug14.png (400x455, 103K)