Why are good single player FPS games such a rarity now? The marked used to be over saturated with them. What happened?

Why are good single player FPS games such a rarity now? The marked used to be over saturated with them. What happened?

Attached: hl2.jpg (1440x900, 280K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=88&v=hDvKKlSjX-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Normies

Why make something that people buy once when you could make something people feed money into for years?

Attached: 2a470e47529df9a836ec290787b91894aad0c7ce.jpg (616x353, 55K)

Everyone is playing multiplayer now. One day I'll try it too but not today.

Because making a scripted linear game is very, very hard. And you will get compensated by people buying the game once. That's a lot of money.

Making open-world or pseudo open-world by making a huge map with no flow considerations and randomly littering it with enemies like is much easier, same amount of money though.

Making a game with empty maps, designing them to be balanced and placing players in it, selling them cosmetics - much less work and much more money.

Making a game with literally one big empty map, not giving a fuck about balancing it or coding interesting gamemodes, just plopping 100 players and let them sort it out, everyone plays it forever, buys skins for as long as you pump them out? BINGO

My question is what happened to gore? I just replayed the darkness 2 and god damn it was so brutal. Games now your lucky if you get bullet decals and blood pools

*saves gaming*

Attached: halo-infinite-e3-2018.jpg (1280x720, 66K)

These. Multiplayer, or incorporating multiplayer, is the way of the future. The newest Doom is going to have invasions, Devil May Cry 5 has co-op interspersed into the singleplayer (which was a really neat idea and they should ADD IT TO BLOODY PALACE ALREADY).

play insurgency sandstorm

Attached: C182C3C9E0102350EE04618CCE88561AFB20BEB5.jpg (1920x1080, 739K)

Right? If you can't paint the town red, what's the point?

Attached: 20180121230109_1.jpg (1680x1050, 354K)

I want to go back bros...

Attached: 1561390127288.jpg (872x731, 199K)

1. Hardware getting better means rendering a whole character is more viable
2. Software getting dev-friendly makes creating a third person camera and whatnot more accessible
3. It's easier to tell, from a glance, the quality of a third person game vs. a first person one, which absolutely helps with marketing.

Attached: 1559413489272.webm (720x360, 2.43M)

>implying HL2 was good
The episodes were even worse. Almost as far away from HL1 as you can get.

Attached: (you).png (1200x1200, 1009K)

>now
since 1995

>rarity

The last good FPS was Call of Pripayt.

HL2 is shit though.
>animeposter
>is retarded
cloclwork

>multiplayer
bleeeeh

HL2 was a glorified tech demo that sold on hype. The game itself is fucking poor; so railroad-straight linear there is zero replayability, and of course there has to be an out-of-place physics section that doesn't fit in with this famous story I've heard so much about.
It's garbage, and it has nothing to do with Half-Life

titanfall 2 has great single player and multi
there are like 10 far cry
there is doom
there is wolfenstein
there is metro
there is borderlands
there are the call of duty campaigns
there is halo
there is portal
there is dusk
there is serious sam 3
there is killing floor
there is fallout new vegas
there are the turok remasters
there are the shadow warriors
there is brutal doom

so shut the fuck up

Attached: 1290919343997.jpg (269x269, 11K)

Classic FPS are shit as well.
>Enter room
>Enemies appear
>Clear room
>Repeat for the whole game

Wow.

Attached: 1530908198953.jpg (637x706, 74K)

it has a great coop mode if you don't like pvp

Coop still implies more than one player.
>my only experience with classic FPS are new FPS claiming to be old school

what game is that?

But you posted a very mediocre fps

wait for serious sam 4 hope its a beast , they all have badass soundtracks.
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=88&v=hDvKKlSjX-g

Attached: kek.jpg (1024x768, 146K)

What's the appeal of half life past Opposing Force?

Because publishers have all the monetary incentives to focus on multiplayer shit instead
- with multiplayer games, players are coerced to continue buying low-effort yearly sequels in order to "keep up with" the rest of the playerbase and not be left behind on a dead game
- people's natural competitive instincts overrides logic and reason, and it's a lot easier to get people to break down and buy pay2win DLC, lootboxes, etc when there's a competitive aspect and people are willing to go to great lengths to get an edge on the competition
- multiplayer games are just easier to develop, period.

And there's nothing anyone can do about it. Even if everyone goes out in droves to buy single player shooters, it's still the case that companies can make MORE money with multiplayer games and all the nickel-and-diming shit that goes along with them.

one of the most anticipated games coming out in 2020 is a single-player fps
there's also new doom, witchfire, outer worlds, new cod

Attached: cyberpunk-2077-nvidia-geforce-e3-2019-rtx-on-exclusive-4k-in-game-screenshot-002.jpg (3840x2160, 2.49M)

The Golden Age of Mods, perhaps?

Attached: 1540075814727.jpg (1000x651, 161K)

HL3

>there is brutal doom
Just dont let that be your only foray into Doom 1 and 2, please

Attached: Doom v8.png (1543x6892, 1.67M)

is he okay?

id are the only people who know how to make them and they can only make one every few years.

knew*

Attached: 1561902879540s.jpg (203x249, 11K)

I've never played MP. SP is the only thing I care about.

they really should have just rebooted from the end of Halo 3 OR done a prequel

>prequel
Cringe

are you an ant

N-no.

They should've not fucked up in the first place. Now I don't care about the story. I just want it to not be faggy.

can't. the retards made it one of the most unoptimized shooters on the market.

I want to suck her titties

>wander around a maze
>fall asleep
DOOM was only good for the time

I hadn't considered stopping an attack with Prop. I tend to switch to KC and use the lock-on + melee. Thanks.

runs on my 6 year old rig user

it's much better now that it runs on UE4.22

walk it off, fag

Devs found out most people put more time into the multiplayer so switched focus.

is this unreal tournament 2004?

Yeah it's UT2004
Sometimes Yea Forums has a server going, i't been great in the past

Why is everything so glossy?

can you make it run in proper widescreen yet? or maybe I'm confusing it for a different game

I'm sure you can; the game has had updates for many years, so yeah I'm fairly positive on that
The last time I played UT2004 with Yea Forums, it certainly didn't look like 4:3
Have a go, try and see user!

I haven't played multiplayer in years but I might play it with bots just for the nostalgia factor when I get some time

IIRC the tournament modes in this and UT99 were pretty fun

>good FPS games
>accompanied by picture of half-life

Realistic/milsim-lite subgenre is very strong right know. Were are also expreriencing wave of retro-inspired shooters.

>killed by grease bomb

UT99 > 2k4
I still love to play UT99 against bots, there's just something about it. I don't do the same with Quake 3 any more; for some reason, UT gets it instead

I don't have faith in 343 abilities. We will probably end up with some shitty hybrid design that won't satisfy anybody.

when you take away any element that made it interesting, all you get is "point and click" as the core gameplay
there's a reason why people moved onto making levels for a 25 year old game

I think because internet wasn't as easily accessible back then they designed it for single play too so it still feels good. quake 3 is pretty good in that regard too but I prefer ut99 as well

The market used to be over saturated with good single player FPS games? Uh, no. A few good ones per year maybe.

How did it manage to look like that in 2004

>oversaturated
>with good games
So when was that? Because sure as fuck it wasn't during Episodes.

By having many simple new engine tricks, then building a game around them;
>we have occlusive bloom? better have trees to show it off
>physics? better play to our strengths, huh?
>scripted sequences PLUS physics? Wow, we gotta use those!
Thus, HL2 and it's episodes.