The dub is unforgivingly horrendous even by english dub standards

>The dub is unforgivingly horrendous even by english dub standards
>Playing in Jap voices is better but you miss out on all the party banter
FUCK

Attached: 1512777364264.jpg (960x540, 437K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=A2vMllYljc0
youtu.be/b0zaGX3fXDU?t=106
youtube.com/watch?v=uBhpZrUdvhw
youtube.com/watch?v=e_oHxm8TYu0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Learn Japanese weeb

>unforgivingly horrendous even by english dub standards
hugely dramatic, it really is not that bad. jap dub is better, i used that in NG+

Attached: 675435322446.png (756x574, 86K)

If you can get past the childish character designs you should be able to deal with some standard mediocre English dubbing.

>understand Japanese
>miss out on nothing

The only time this sucks is when the dialogue is genuinely ass, or if the English version of the script is leaps and bounds better somehow. Honestly most games have god awful writing to start with, so localizers sometimes don't get much to work with.

I literally solved this by learning Japanese as I played the game

how was the dub so bad, and why did they remove the one thing that salvaged it?

Attached: 1512493870347.jpg (1024x944, 136K)

But it is. I'll admit that not all of the voices are bad but Rex's dub VA alone shits on everything else. That fight scene in the beginning was was completely ruined by Rex's.. whatever the fuck sounds he was trying to make for the battle cry. Seriously where did they even find this guy from? I don't even mind Nia if it wasn't for the fact that her voice sounds so flat half of the time.

>I simply know the jap voices are better
>why no, I do not speak japanese

Attached: 546235746.jpg (536x536, 25K)

Some where along the lines they thought the first game's dub was well received because it got bong VAs instead of it being actual competent voice actors.

Please meet at the Orlando PD office building I wanna smack you with a crowbar and turn myself in.

The dub is ludo

>Make a girl cry, that’s not going to fly

you don't need to be a chef to know a difference between a pile of turd and a steak dinner user. There's your food analogy of the day.

the party banter is simplistic japanese phrases that repeat over and over.
you'll get it in no time.

Why can't fat obese war-mongering disgusting great satan Americans not deal with accents that aren't their own?

They fell for the bong VA meme because of the first game.

>game was made for a console that can be played as a handheld
>game looks like you are wearing your granddad's glasses on handheld mode
who was behind Chronicles 2 anyway? I refuse to believe that this is by the same team that made the previous 2 installments.

Attached: 1443935358365.jpg (300x300, 47K)

reading subtitles while watching a show or playing a game is too much work for your average Yea Forumsirgin
let that sink in

Fucking retard. You don't need to know a language to think a voice is shit.

I don't speak Portuguese but even i know that compared to the english and japanese one their Goku's voice is shit.

Feels good to be a bong so I'm used to hearing all of these accents and can appreciate that the game's decent dub.

I can't stand half the cast in Jap dub and I can't stand half the cast in English dub. Japanese Nia makes me want to stab a pen through my eardrums so I just went with English.

The game would be a 10/10 even if it was just dub only if they just erased Rex and made Nia the MC.

Aren't we intrepid?

>If you can get past the childish character designs
(You), literally everyone looks fantastic aside from Rex, whose design is fucking horrendous. There's nothing childish about anyone

More like
>you don't need taste buds to know if a meal is good
Is this what cringy weeb waifufags believe? Have sex, it's better than to fantasise about drawn character with huge tits.

Attached: kek pepe.png (500x913, 230K)

The dub had a lot of potential but they fucked it all up with awful directing and editing. A lot of the dialogue sounds like it was cut and pasted together, and like they had no idea what scene they were acting for. Also Rex just couldn’t fucking scream.

I honestly wonder if they just dragged someone off the streets to do his VA because holy shit. Like it's a goddamn scream man, I ain't even asking for it to be good at this point just like make it sound like a scream. But that nigger can't even do that.

Have you not watched any foreign films or TV shows?

Apparently he did some real life acting so I have no idea. You’d think when they cast him for a shounen protag one of the auditions would involve screaming. But even then, decent voices like Jin and Malos still suffered from the terrible editing and direction.

The most likely scenario is that Nintendo thought the game would bomb in the west and just threw it to some cheap studio with no quality control. Probably blew the VA budget on the japanese talent.

You should be able to understand 50% of the party banter though, or else you don't belong on Yea Forums, user.

Attached: D-OJ_gzVUAA3Dzu.jpg orig.jpg (873x1251, 140K)

What could be worse than some granny trying to scream?

So burger centric. I'm no anglo, as such, I have no stakes in a particular dub, no preferences. Both are foreign to me. Yet from what I hear, JP is much better than the ENG dub I'm hearing.

Attached: DmF6-cNVsAUtOq6.jpg orig.jpg (1716x2000, 801K)

>he hasn't watched enough anime to get at least the general gist of RAW dialogue

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 79K)

Kill yourself.

>but you miss out on all the party banter
>what are subtitles
It's all the same fucking shit. Even the thing they say in jap is not very different

Think he's talking about the dialogue they have after battles. Those don't have subs.

It's still Monolith Soft. Takahashi claims that optimizing for handheld would have held the game back, it's not really meant to be played as portable, mobile game but they had to shoe-horn it in there because of the Switch's hardware.

Fair enough.

What is this meme about the voice acting?
It’s fine you nigger, going from British banter to Scottish banter is a great transition.
You guys want nitpick literally anything, how about go fuck yourself

The dub wasn't bad but it had poor voice direction, which the first game absolutely nailed.

Most of the intense moments are ruined

It's not even the accents that's the problem. The problem is that the VAs are literally shit. Can you honestly say that Rex's dub was anywhere near decent even by bong VA standards?

Dumb British voices are unironically part of the charm of the Xenoblade series

There's a fine line between dumb and just being out right bad.

The voice direction is fine, people from different titans have different dialects, like the Gormotti being Welsh and the Mor Ardanians being Scottish.

It's not even Scottish banter. Xenoblade 2's voice acting is fucking inconsistent. At least with Xenoblade 1 it was all britbongs.
Rex is northern English, Nia is Welsh, the Blades all sound American, Vandham is Australian, Morag is Scottish, Zeke is upper-class London

It's all fucking inconsistent

I don't know if that really comes under voice direction but I agree, that was a good choice. I mean things like the actors not being given proper context for scenes and not getting enough chances to redo lines that they weren't happy with.

Not him but see The creative choices for the different titan cultures were fine but everything else fell apart.

I think the problem is xenoblade 2 was way too anime compared to the first one. Any typical anime humor scene or dramatic scene falls flat with brits VA but somehow the later one works in xenoblade 1 like fiora death scene. Maybe they have better voice actor overall.

You do realize this was intentional, right? In the Japanese voice-acting, each of the titans' civilizations, and thus all the party members, all have very different Japanese dialects to reflect where they come from. They tried to replicate this in the English dub by using very different English dialect from around the globe.
It's actually really cool how the dubbing team picked up on the Japanese dialect detail.
Blades were made to sound American to solidify how different they are from normal people.
tfw no goofy Canadian dialect

Attached: Poppi08.jpg (1280x720, 235K)

it amazes me that even after all the updates they didnt add a option for after battle subtitles.

All of the Xenoblades are extremely too anime. Xenoblade 2 was just more humourous than the first one.

Now if only they hired actual decent VA of said dialects instead of just going “you got the accent? You’re hired!”

you do still need to be able to eat to enjoy food though

why is it always bad food analogies? next time you think about using a bad food analogy please stop yourself

Nothing's stopping you from hearing Japanese even if you can't understand it.

I don’t think hearing was part of the problem.

I guess the "japanese humor thing" was too much for me too stomach in english voice. Still the dramatic scene was pretty bad in 2 and ruined the moment. Just compare this shit in 1 to this.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=A2vMllYljc0

youtu.be/b0zaGX3fXDU?t=106

The scene itself is just as great, arguably less generic than Xenoblade 1's. The bad English voice acting from Rex ruins it though. Shame because Malos's english voice actor is one of the best I've heard in years.

The Japanese VA makes it much better.
youtube.com/watch?v=uBhpZrUdvhw

I thought I had an iron stomach for bad dubs. Fuck I played most of the compile heart and rust's games in dub.

But that aaaaaahhhhhhhhh literally made me shut the game down and immediately download the Jap voice DLC.

Attached: 1555733108425.png (555x733, 323K)

But it works though. But if you don't ant car or food analogy because for some reason they don't work (protip: they do), how about a Yea Forums one? You don't need to be a fucking movie director to judge a movie is shit or good.

Attached: D-Ji2KwUIAEgMGk.jpg orig.jpg (1366x2048, 269K)

I agree about the Eng dub, but

Literally just swap it to English when you're running around the overworld or completing quests. You'll hear all the banter in a few minutes.

Attached: 1560086165341.png (600x927, 379K)

Ok what was even wrong with that analogy?

It doesn't help that the subtitles are just a transcription of the dub dialogue, rather than a translation of the Japanese.

Mythra looks good in anything

Attached: 75454668_p1.jpg (2508x3541, 1.91M)

>Japanese anime/games VA industry is huge, highly competitive and often comprises the biggest portion of the budget for a given show or game they're based on. Less true for games, given the nature of them, but very, very true for anime
>American anime/games VA industry is tiny, and nothing more than a stepping stone for a handful of actors to attempt to move into bigger and better productions

Even if you somehow can't hear how good the Japanese dub is without speaking Japanese, hearing how awful and flat the English dub is gives you reason enough to change.

Attached: 1559527778722.jpg (1744x1407, 329K)

That's the moment where I said fuck this shit, went straight the shop and grab the jap dub. Never switch back to english again after that.

Attached: D-Ob5-RUcAEIgf6.jpg orig.jpg (819x1000, 112K)

>Shame because Malos's english voice actor is one of the best I've heard in years.
What's with Xeno games and having god-tier villain English voice actors?

Hell if I know

Attached: When you enter into her Y data.gif (268x150, 487K)

they need to bring back albedo's voice actor
youtube.com/watch?v=e_oHxm8TYu0

Attached: Xenosaga.full.503647.jpg (1392x1983, 794K)

MINGE

Honestly speaking most of the dub was fine. Nia had some eh moment but her accent was oddly fitting. Pyra sounds flat sometimes but her voice was good. I really liked dubbed Gramps because I'm not a fan of the japanese old man voice and his mascot form was grating in jap voice. Malos' voice makes me wish he was the protag instead.

The only major flaw is Rex who somehow even managed to sound worse than the generic weebshit male protag dub VAs. Which of course wouldn't have been that big of the deal, except he was the fucking protagonist and in almost every goddamn scene. My god he couldn't even muster up a grunt for the sword swings in battles.

Attached: 1546215752874.jpg (1716x2048, 175K)

What's right with it?

Not even that guy but I get that he's trying to say something like you don't have to be an expert in a matter to know whether something is plain good or bad. Why? What would you have said?

so you don't need to be an expert at japanese, you do at least need to be a layman

Eight people yelling over each other and calling out attack names at once sounds awful in any language.

I don't understand playing Japanese games for years upon years and never learning the language.

Why would you use Japanese voices if you can't understand Japanese?

To all the faggots saying that you shouldn't use sub if you don't know jap
I dare you to watch the pyra awakening scene on the ship and then try to tell me that you can't realize any difference in tone. even without understanding the language, a retard can see that eng rex's "Bening soowd" sounds terrible in comparison to the jap's.
You're pretty much lying to yourself if you say that there is no difference

日本語ができるからそんなことないぞ
It's really unfortunate, because the little banter bits are some of the best dialogue in the game. The actual story lines are pretty bad, especially towards the end.

I didn't mind the dub. It's really rough at the start since english rex is awful at the hotblooded anime cliche that japs have had like 40 years to perfect, but the game never really needs him to yell hiya again after that so it's fine.

>Mythra's Japanese name is Hikari (stands for light)
>When the night comes there's a dialogue where Hikari responds to it becoming dark to something along lines of "it's good to have have Hikari (light) around when it's dark".
Feels good to finally start understanding more minute details and puns too.

Dub is really good by JRPG standards. A tier below Persona games and the first Xenoblade but those are highest tier.